• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Doesn't Snake have to drop and regrab the grenade for Omnigay to work? I'm pretty sure he just drops it if you grab him when he first pulls it out.

Also, is Metaknight dying via Omnigay a result of controller ports? I tend to get unlucky in this respect. ;P
lol how is that luck! just look at their port haha

IIIIRICK

Smash Journeyman
what is a good way to approach ike if he is doing A LOT of retreating fair and nair. what attacks of ike can beat tornado?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I don't know. I don't really know the Ike MU, I just play patient and try to be smart.
You should go test it for us MKs. =)

IIIIRICK

Smash Journeyman
man if i had someone to test it with i would.

i only get to play brawl during our monthly or if someone hosts a smash fest :/

theunabletable

Smash Lord
You could also dashing roll, I think.

Just run up and Froll, then punish his fair (nair hits behind him, though, so beware).

Kaffei

Smash Hero
man if i had someone to test it with i would.

i only get to play brawl during our monthly or if someone hosts a smash fest :/
Wifi? I know Wifi sucks but lol still.

@Table: MK's froll is so good lmao.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
^I LOOOOOOOOOVE his Froll
it's sooooooo ****ing incredible.

And most low-mid level players never expect it, so I can use it fairly often and almost never get punished for it.

@IIIIRICK: I'm in the same boat as you, and don't get to play except for like once a month.

A lot of this you can test at home against CPUs.

Ike is really easy. From my experience (which admittedly isn't much, but there aren't really any good Ike's other than San anyways lol), you can kind of stay in a strong range, where he can't do much.

Like if you stay outside of his jab range, he doesn't have many options. You can Ftilt him while outside of his jab range, and if he jumps, you can like shield, or Froll, or tornado, or up B, etc.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
It's even better than Lucario's! Can't say the same for his Broll though.. x(

theunabletable

Smash Lord
It's even better than Lucario's! Can't say the same for his Broll though.. x(
Idk it's faster by a few frames, but I'd honestly rather have Lucario's lol. That extra range and IIRC it has like twice the amount of invincibility frames would be really useful.

One little option I like in the ditto (well any matchup, really, but it's mostly in the ditto where you have crap options on the ledge) is to ledge drop > uair > double jump air dodge onto the stage > buffered Froll. It works well and is an option that people don't use often.

I got gimped by a Mario once when I didn't know that he could cape my drill rush offstage. I imagine DC would be good for recovery in that matchup.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Invincible from frame 5 to 12 / total frames 23 Metaknight
Invincible from frame 4 to 19 / total frames 27 Lucario

theunabletable

Smash Lord
SL is shuttle loop.

Can you Mario's beat dimensional (sp?) cape recovery? It'd be good to know for if I ever fight a Mario.

I'd rather have Lucario's Froll, but w/e MKs is good enough :p

Kaffei

Smash Hero
MK is invincible from frame 18 to frame 26. Mario's cape hitbox cannot touch MK during those frames, so yes MK's DC can beat it.

"Despite MK turning invisible on frame 13, he does not receive invincibility frames until frame 18. MK can move around starting on frame 14"

@ above: Only when he attacks with DC. Who would do that lol

SKidd

Smash Master
yeah, but if you get cape ***** at a tourney, you're going back to the bottom of the PR.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
MK has easy times beating mario's range and recovery attempts enough so he doesn't need to worry about being gimped at all.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
1. At the character select screen, select Metaknight.

2. Press Start.

3. Choose your stage and press Start.

4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 (until people believe you're a metaknight main).

5. Make you fall in love with me.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Both. I like MK and jigglypuff. I was a former lucario main since brawl came out. I just find that I have to many bad habits with lucario that do not spread when I choose other characters. Well we all know how good jigglypuff is. Also I just got bored with lucario. I just want some of the backlog MK stuff that people figured out a while back that is hard to access now.

Kragnor

Smash Rookie
2 questions

1) I main MK. A friend of mine mains Ice climbers and secondaries Olimar and Falco. I can usually beat all of them but when he picks MK he ***** me. I'm awful at MK ditto's >.> What's a good way to improve there

2) I seem to have a lot of trouble against good foxes. It's not that much of a problem because I usually use D3 instead and do better, but is that normal?

IIIIRICK

Smash Journeyman
in MK dittos ftilt and fair is great. d3 isnt at good aginst fox as a lot of people think. i think its 60-40 d3 vs fox, same as fox vs MK IIRC.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
MK goes about even with Fox, too (maybe 55-45, but idk I do kinda trust TKD. I mean he's proven himself in the MK vs Fox matchup pretty well).

theunabletable

Smash Lord
He can force an approach, and has an answer to all of your options, so it’s like a guessing game. He can kill you really early with up smash, and he can set it up with an air release, which he can bait by pummeling you a lot, then watching your hands to see if you mash.

He can punish you pretty hard, and he can get out of tornado easily, and can often punish it really easily. If he pops out of the top (which he can do) he can shine to stop his momentum then down air you, or double jump if you keep pressing B, then possibly down air you depending on where you are.

With smart use of shine he can be somewhat difficult to gimp depending on where he’s sent and how good his DI was.

So I mean he has pretty much all the tools he needs to keep up with MK like the other characters that do well (like Snake and Falco). He can force an approach, he can counter the approach if he reads you, he can kill you early, and he can be tough to gimp. As well as being tough to juggle due to shine, and the risk of getting dair'd which combos into stuff.

Watch Tyrant vs TKD. Like I said, it may not be a 100% even matchup, but it’s definitely pretty close it seems.

Top Bottom