• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Well if they leave then we have no tourneys to go to.

Soo... its either go to their tourneys.. or.. not go to tourneys.

though its more incentive to join unity as well
You realize its more of a hostage situation, right? I'm never going to a Unity ran national, and so anything I want to go to won't be stickied and I'll have to actually search. Except APEX, because the URC are hypocrites and are stickying that anyways.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
That doesn't mean they have to be discriminatory towards TOs that don't support your rules.

"Agree with us, or we will be ****s and hurt your tournament attendence"
They're trying to make universal ruleset for this game. So that when you go to tourney A and then go to tourney B there isn't **** that's out there that you wouldn't expect. Like 10 minute timers or certain stages unbanned. For the game it's best for the community to come together. The deeper the divide in the community the quicker the game will die.

There's tournies aren't a right they're a privilege that some people decided to put together for the community. The put the rules together in order to strengthen and further the community even more. While you guys may be thinking about tourney A they're thinking about something bigger.

HoRnZ

Smash Apprentice
wrong decision, wrong people deciding, wrong time
you could have atleast waited for the international results after apex, which would give solid proof

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Apex is stickied because of melee

*the loophole of the situation*
Considering I was remember it being brought up in the initial Unity ruleset posting , that was the reason made WELL AFTER the fact. It was stickied before as well.

Either way, URC is forcing itself on everyone, regardless if they're part of anything. If it was just saying "These major TOs will be running X Y Z" instead of "Run X Y Z because we're the self-imposed governing body of Smash."

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
wrong decision, wrong people deciding, wrong time
you could have atleast waited for the international results after apex, which would give solid proof
While international results are fine and dandy, this is strictly just happening in the US/Canada so we have enough US nationals to look at already.

Apex was not stickied (in fact destickied) for a long time. I had to keep searching for it to check on it

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Considering I was remember it being brought up in the initial Unity ruleset posting , that was the reason made WELL AFTER the fact. It was stickied before as well.

Either way, URC is forcing itself on everyone, regardless if they're part of anything. If it was just saying "These major TOs will be running X Y Z" instead of "Run X Y Z because we're the self-imposed governing body of Smash."
What tournies do you run at your local scene?

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
So you're saying if internationally people have discovered a tech that made MK bottom tier, the fact that he's god tier in the US is enough to ban him just due to region?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
that tech would obvious be tried out here

But other than that, regions do their own thing. Alabama has already banned MK for one thing.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
So you're saying if internationally people have discovered a tech that made MK bottom tier, the fact that he's god tier in the US is enough to ban him just due to region?
America has discovered that tech also. It's called banning him...hold that L in ya chest.

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
URC = PBC: Pro Ban Committe.

Infract me, kill me, ban me because I have "Meta" on my name IDC.

idk what will you say when Mr R and Nietono **** all MK users at apex. anyway....

Love and :metaknight: for all <3

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
MK will live forever in our hearts, and forever in the haunted memories of Ganon mains.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
What tournies do you run at your local scene?
I host smashfests in my basement and now apartment due to lack of venues because its... well, ****ing WI :p Not that there is a local scene to support anymore. Everyone has bailed, including Kennispam, the last notable person in the area. Unless you count Red Ryu. /shrug

I travelled at least 2 hours for the last 3 years, for a few months every single weekend, and enter a tournament I don't expect to win but want to support. It's ***** like you and the URC that I don't support. I'm just grateful we run MK banned but not Unity ruleset, because that gets two things off my back.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
URC = PBC: Pro Ban Committe.

Infract me, kill me, ban me because I have "Meta" on my name IDC.

idk what will you say when Mr R and Nietono **** all MK users at apex. anyway....

Love and :metaknight: for all <3
pretty sure that wouldn't happen.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why, yes, yes it is. If he has shared a tier by himself at the top MORE THAN ONCE, he's clearly more powerful than the characters. And it's not just that. The meta-game has been made around him. Multiple rules were made for him alone. Stages were banned ONLY because of him.

And he's also winning most tournies, and not just most as in like 60%, but almost every tourney is MK Dittoes. The diversity is beyond small, it hurts. Banning him gives us a chance to see new match-ups, and unique ideas since nobody has to concentrate on beating a MK. That also means that there's new strategies as well. Also, don't even do the "force will on people" route. The oppressed crap is hardly a comparison. It's just rules. If you don't like it, don't go the tournament. Plain and simple. Nobody's forcing you to go there. Run your own.

Also, the fun fact here is that a community has to have a rule set that is agreed upon by the MAJORITY of people. The MAJORITY of people wanted MK banned. The polls told us that. And that's just for starters. We've gathered tons of data through various means, proving how strong MK is. Denying that he's not better than all of the cast is ridiculous. Banning him means that the cast can win in different ways, not just having an MK in nearly every final. If one character is in every final, do you honestly think that character isn't just a tad too strong?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I host smashfests in my basement and now apartment due to lack of venues because its... well, ****ing WI :p Not that there is a local scene to support anymore. Everyone has bailed, including Kennispam, the last notable person in the area. Unless you count Red Ryu. /shrug
I'm sorry to hear that your scene died man.

I travelled at least 2 hours for the last 3 years, for a few months every single weekend, and enter a tournament I don't expect to win but want to support. It's ***** like you and the URC that I don't support. I'm just grateful we run MK banned but not Unity ruleset, because that gets two things off my back.
???? What's your beef with the UCR? Or with me ? Because I want the scene to come together more? The UCR banned mK and you go to MK banned tourney.... I don't follow.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Why, yes, yes it is. If he has shared a tier by himself at the top MORE THAN ONCE, he's clearly more powerful than the characters. And it's not just that. The meta-game has been made around him. Multiple rules were made for him alone. Stages were banned ONLY because of him.

And he's also winning most tournies, and not just most as in like 60%, but almost every tourney is MK Dittoes. The diversity is beyond small, it hurts. Banning him gives us a chance to see new match-ups, and unique ideas since nobody has to concentrate on beating a MK. That also means that there's new strategies as well. Also, don't even do the "force will on people" route. The oppressed crap is hardly a comparison. It's just rules. If you don't like it, don't go the tournament. Plain and simple. Nobody's forcing you to go there. Run your own.

Also, the fun fact here is that a community has to have a rule set that is agreed upon by the MAJORITY of people. The MAJORITY of people wanted MK banned. The polls told us that. And that's just for starters. We've gathered tons of data through various means, proving how strong MK is. Denying that he's not better than all of the cast is ridiculous. Banning him means that the cast can win in different ways, not just having an MK in nearly every final. If one character is in every final, do you honestly think that character isn't just a tad too strong?
No, I don't. I've seen far worse in other fighting games, and if you want to call your game that, you have to understand that in a fighting game, nothing is certain. Also know that there's no reason to not sticky regionals because they don't use Unity Ruleset other than to oppress them. Period.

Brood beat M2K...
So, Nietono who is BETTER than brood will **** them all
Inui logic strikes again! Please note that Brood beat M2K more than a year ago now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I never said anything about the stickying, now did I? Don't put words in my mouth.

However, Smashboards specifically only stickies Unity Rulesets. That's the main one here. This is a message board, not America or any other country. Those rules don't exist as is. The rules are exactly how this board makes them, and anything under the privacy policy. Whatever freedom you think you have doesn't exist here.

If they choose not to sponsor something, that's solely their choice. A community is only going to sponsor something that follows that community's rules. It's that simple. Of course, this may not be the case for every place, but that is here. You have a problem with it, bring it up somewhere else.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
I'm sorry to hear that your scene died man.

???? What's your beef with the UCR? Or with me ? Because I want the scene to come together more? The UCR banned mK and you go to MK banned tourney.... I don't follow.
People want him banned either because they're

A) Bad and can't see that they're losing to the person not the character.
B) Bored of the game as it exists and don't want him around anyways.
C) Unable to learn how to face the character, so they're rather ban.

Those aren't valid reasons to ban a character, they're valid reasons to look into yourself.

MK is bannable, not for his strong moveset, but for his ability to perfectly avoid damage. But you know what? M2K is the only MK ALMOST capable of this, which is funny, because no one is capable of doing it. That's the only reason I could see anti-ban having, it's nearly impossible to pull off.

But no, not only does the URC ban MK, they ban him because of his strong moveset, something that, compared to other fighting games, is SIGNIFICANTLY more managable than other top tier match ups. In smash, it really does come down to being the better player, due to the sheer number of options at your disposal.

My issue isn't with the result, it's with the methodology.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
No, I don't. I've seen far worse in other fighting games, and if you want to call your game that, you have to understand that in a fighting game, nothing is certain. Also know that there's no reason to not sticky regionals because they don't use Unity Ruleset other than to oppress them. Period.
You have the right to use their rule set or not however, don't expect to not use their rule set and then get the same perks as the people who do. So your choices become use their rule set or don't. Make your own website where you can sticky w/e the hell you want too.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
They're trying to make universal ruleset for this game. So that when you go to tourney A and then go to tourney B there isn't **** that's out there that you wouldn't expect. Like 10 minute timers or certain stages unbanned. For the game it's best for the community to come together. The deeper the divide in the community the quicker the game will die.

There's tournies aren't a right they're a privilege that some people decided to put together for the community. The put the rules together in order to strengthen and further the community even more. While you guys may be thinking about tourney A they're thinking about something bigger.
And absolutely none of that gives them the right to prevent other TOs from advertising their tournaments properly.

Furthermore, when has that ever been a problem anyway? Before you go to a tourny, you should always read the ruls. Brawl isn't the first game to have grassroots tournies, melee has been doing it for 8+ years. Sounds like a lame excuse force their judgements onto people.

How can you possibly defend their actions? They are literally telling TOs "its our way or nothing". F*** that, **** everyone that supports their decision. I don't even care about brawl or the metaknight ruling, but to decide that other TOs can't get proper publicity because they don;t like your stupid ruleset is just wrong. I wish the absolute worst to those TOs that support this idea.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
While I personally wouldn't have banned Meta Knight, the stats and charts do not lie. That said, one thing can be certain: the tier list may very well see a hell of a change, especially with some characters whose tier placement was based solely on their Match-up with MK, like R.O.B., Peach, etc.. It also gives other characters the chance to shine... well, except Ganondorf, the poor guy.

I predict Marth will take the number 1 spot, seeing as his only bad MU other than MK seems to be Dedede, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the metagame will evolve, now that it doesn't have to focus on MK match-ups.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
And absolutely none of that gives them the right to prevent other TOs from advertising their tournaments properly.

Furthermore, when has that ever been a problem anyway? Before you go to a tourny, you should always read the ruls. Brawl isn't the first game to have grassroots tournies, melee has been doing it for 8+ years. Sounds like a lame excuse force their judgements onto people.

How can you possibly defend their actions? They are literally telling TOs "its our way or nothing". F*** that, **** everyone that supports their decision. I don't even care about brawl or the metaknight ruling, but to decide that other TOs can't get proper publicity because they don;t like your stupid ruleset is just wrong. I wish the absolute worst to those TOs that support this idea.

Its not like they aren't allowed to post the tourney on the site. Stickies weren't given to anyone not well known in the first place. If you are known to have good tourneys, hype builds on its own.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You guys do know there has always been rules for tournament stickies, right?
-Large size
-Reputable host
-Appeal
-Sometimes other random variables

I never saw anyone complain because that 20-person event didn't get a sticky over that 50 person event. 95% of tournaments are not eligible for stickies based on the attendance criteria alone.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Its not like they aren't allowed to post the tourney on the site. Stickies weren't given to anyone not well known in the first place. If you are known to have good tourneys, hype builds on its own.
That's a nice gesture, but hype isn't enough to outdo stickies on the main tournament page, especially for pot fillers.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Exactly. He has, at worst, even matchups. Do you know what that MEANS? EVEN matchups. EVEN. Not "I eliminate every other character in the game simply by existing." The entire community has designated that he has EVEN MATCHUPS. EVEN. MATCHUPS.

The BBR even has a matchup chart showing just that. At an equivalent skill level, an even match up implies that it could go either way, it's up to the players to best one another.

Seriously, **** this party game bull****, lol. You kids should probably grow up rat her than complain.
BBR made a matchup chart where a lot of the opinions were mixed on MK's matchups. . . We're now getting things correct, with most panels and even the MK panelists are lowering the matchups to below even like they should have been. Even before this MK banned event happened...

Kryst I'd advise against this. I'd really hope the brawl community can come together and agree on something like this. If the community becomes ban / anti ban in the tourney scene the game will die.
No, I am doing it for fun, I don't intend to do it for a regional level or higher. I'd hold MK banned tournaments before I'd hold MK-legal. Derp. Don't worry ^^

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
People want him banned either because they're

A) Bad and can't see that they're losing to the person not the character.
B) Bored of the game as it exists and don't want him around anyways.
C) Unable to learn how to face the character, so they're rather ban..
So if my reasons for wanting MK ban have nothing to do with the above then you don't have a problem with me wanting him banned right? It's weird how you're pro ban but you're against the UCR banning him.

Those aren't valid reasons to ban a character, they're valid reasons to look into yourself.

MK is bannable, not for his strong moveset, but for his ability to perfectly avoid damage. But you know what? M2K is the only MK ALMOST capable of this, which is funny, because no one is capable of doing it. That's the only reason I could see anti-ban having, it's nearly impossible to pull off.
I'll disagree with this I've seen plenty of MK's be able to not take damage or simply run timer on cats just cause they can do so. However, since the rules are constantly changing to prevent these things from happening no one does it anymore. So now we have rules to limit the things that a character does.

But no, not only does the URC ban MK, they ban him because of his strong moveset, something that, compared to other fighting games, is SIGNIFICANTLY more managable than other top tier match ups. In smash, it really does come down to being the better player, due to the sheer number of options at your disposal.

My issue isn't with the result, it's with the methodology
I've read the OP by AZ and I don't recall them using any of those reasons for banning MK. Even if they did use those reasons to ban MK I don't really mind considering I have my on reasons on why I felt he should be banned. You also feel he should be banned so what's the matter? Anyways it's a lot better for the UCR to ban MK than the BBR to keep him around because everyone in the BBR plays MK (or at least they used to) don't really know whos in the BBR any more.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
-Large size
-Reputable host
-Appeal

I never saw anyone complain because that 20-person event didn't get a sticky over that 50 person event. 95% of tournaments are not eligible for stickies based on the attendance criteria alone.
None of those reasons have anything to do with the decisions of a (im assuming) self appointed commitee.

Its fine to have reasons for sticking or not stickying a tourny, but doing so purely on the basis that they aren't using your specific ruleset is not one of them.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
-Large size
-Reputable host
-Appeal

Na AZ it's you evil UCR who sit on top of your pedestal and judge the smash communitiessss / sarcasm

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
JPOBS: Actually, those rules were made by a different committee, basically, the staff. And when I say the staff, basically, I mean 2-3 staff members who stick things in Tournament listings.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
None of those reasons have anything to do with the decisions of a (im assuming) self appointed commitee.

Its fine to have reasons for sticking or not stickying a tourny, but doing so purely on the basis that they aren't using your specific ruleset is not one of them.
What is wrong with some of the top TO's coming together to establish a rulset? How is that bad for the community? For those guys who actually travel OOS don't have to worry about different CP's and things of that nature.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Atleast they are relatively objective reasons nonetheless though AZ.

What is wrong with some of the top TO's coming together to establish a rulset? How is that bad for the community? For those guys who actually travel OOS don't have to worry about different CP's and things of that nature.
Theres nothing wrong with that, but they shouldn't force it onto other TOs by not stickying their threads if they deserve a sticky just because they don't use the "unity ruleset"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom