• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PersonallyIPreferDair

Smash Apprentice
I may be jumping to conclusions, but metaknight has 6 jumps so I'm thinking I still have at least four left. In arguing i say youre ganondorf level; offstage, and you've used your second jump. ''Any difficult change that is endorsed by the official rule set'' will see that rule set ignored and the setters sent to an island far far away.
I lol'd
New sig for me.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
☯ Congratulations Meta Knight, you will forever be known as the first character in Smash Bros. history to EVER be ban in a Smash Bros. competitive scenes:
I know of Melee tournaments that have banned Masterhand.

So ummm
MK doesn't get that title.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I may be jumping to conclusions, but metaknight has 6 jumps so I'm thinking I still have at least four left. In arguing i say youre ganondorf level; offstage, and you've used your second jump. ''Any difficult change that is endorsed by the official rule set'' will see that rule set ignored and the setters sent to an island far far away.
Gimped.

My favorite post of year now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know of Melee tournaments that have banned Masterhand.

So ummm
MK doesn't get that title.
To be fair, Viper could be referring to characters outside of cheat devices.

And I've known of Melee tournaments that banned Mr. Game & Watch. Thankfully I took those over, and no character was banned. :D

Ghostbone

Smash Master
To be fair, we could be referring to characters outside of cheat devices.

And I've known of Melee tournaments that banned Mr. Game & Watch. Thankfully I took those over, and no character was banned. :D
You don't need to use a cheat device to play Masterhand.
Name entry glitch.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Nobody is going to agree.. Give up El Dude, I respect your ability to hold your own because you believe what you believe..
I had to make my case and I still stand by it.

The ban is just more convent for people, especially non-Meta Knight players. Ultimately It all comes down to what people think will and won't work. I seem to stand alone thinking that people would adopt a patch if it means keeping a character around. Perhaps I just am more hopeful for what would be the better option if enough people could jump on board.

I'm not going to change anyone's mind, but that was never my intention. I just wanted to throw the idea out there now that drastic actions have been made.

Bees!

Smash Ace
I just realized something:
-according to AZ, 25% of the brawl scene uses Meta knight.
-25% voted against the ban.

:D
That could be considered a spurious correlation at best but ultimately proves nothing.
As Just about every MK main I know voted for the ban or signed the ipetition, also I know non-MK mains who voted against the ban. In fact you should look at that petition. everyone should as it shows a lot of high level players supported the ban months before this. :D

Alien Vision

Smash Ace

The ban is just more convent for people, especially non-Meta Knight players. Ultimately It all comes down to what people think will and won't work. I seem to stand alone thinking that people would adopt a patch if it means keeping a character around. Perhaps I just am more hopeful for what would be the better option if enough people could jump on board.

I'm not going to change anyone's mind, but that was never my intention. I just wanted to throw the idea out there now that drastic actions have been made.
The only drastic action they made, is that they didn't ban him sooner.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace

Make a better one next time, especially if youre gonna spend all day standing by it you know.
A lot of people together form a hivemind, which is a primitive thing. It doesn't like patches because things that have been patched were broken before and its easier to pretend like nothings broken and it doesnt show. Furthermore, why did you pick the name El duderino when your posts shown no traces of being written by a pot smoker listening to captain beefheart and his magic band? : S Her eyes are a blue million miles!

Ghostbone

Smash Master

While a patch would be nice, at this point in the game's lifetime, it's not logistically possible.

Let's say we start with the current version of BBrawl, I don't think that's unreasonable.
Firstly, very few people will want to play it because it's a hack, and because of the stigma surrounding hacks. Secondly, nobody will make it tournament standard, because it's not tournament standard in other areas. Unless the URC makes BBrawl standard, I don't ever see it being anything but a side event. (and a small one at that, why play BBrawl when you can just play Brawl, they're basically the same, and at a tournament you're probably more likely to practice Brawl for the tournament). And even if the URC makes it standard, the international community will just keep playing Brawl (yea I know this has parallels with banning MK, but at least everyone's still playing the same game when we ban MK)
Secondly, people will complain that their character hasn't been buffed enough, or that it's been changed to much, do you think IC mains will be happy that they need to completely relearn their character? Some people might have different opinions on how the game should be balanced, and overall this scenario deters people from considering hacks.

popsofctown

Smash Champion

I for one was interested by your perspective, and I don't think you should be flamed for it even if I don't agree.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

You know putting in codes takes a lot of time that players and TO's could be spent practicing, right? You're right, it IS convenient. But that's not always a bad thing. You know it's convenient to drive to work over walking in the rain? Yeah, sometimes it's fine. And here's the thing: We've tested many times to see if it was possible to nerf Metaknight by making tons of rules for him. It still wasn't enough. We already did the work, and it didn't work. It's time to let things go. And patches AREN'T better options by default. First, it requires the actual TO's to buy an SD card, second, they have to program every bit of code in. This takes a huge amount of time that, once again, could be spent on other things. Including practicing the game, which is far more important than fixing a problem that should have never been a problem in the first place. Do not even blame us for Metaknight being the best character in the game.

Likewise, you know horrible inconvenient it is for TO's to do all of that? They already have enough stuff to do preparing snacks, seats, batteries, and so on. Money? They spent enough, considering the actual controllers cost a lot. And even with the Gamecube Controllers, they often have to buy their own. That's not including obvious stuff like toiler paper either. You think they all have tons of money to spend on something they shouldn't have to in the first place? Or, did you forget, that sometimes their Wii's might already be unable to recieve the hacks due to regular Wii Updates? Maybe those TO's like to play online as well. And other video games update the Wii to erase those hacks as well. Which means they have to buy a new Wii just to do all this: Oh, and you can't transfer your Brawl Data over without a hack either. Once again, that's more hacks just to make a SINGLE character playable. There's a thing called more work than needed, and you have to realize this IS the case.

hahaha, that may be true, but a complete character ban should not sit easy with anyone that has a soul.
Also, it's a character ban, not killing a real life person. Or banning an actual person from a country. Don't act like they're even CLOSE to that. Also, have you ever thought that not everyone believes in souls, making that a very broad statement that doesn't apply to everyone anyway. Not to mention, let's not get religious debates in here.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I just want to real quick say:

In marvel 2, the game allowed you to pick 3 characters which basically turned into 2 point characters, and one really good assist to back them up.

that game had 4 top tier best characters, cable, magneto, sentinel, and storm. the game was basically you pick 2 of these characters, and a really good assist to make them better, which sometimes even came in the form of one of the other 2. Personally, I feel like, if out of those 4 characters, two, werent in the game, lets say sent adn storm. than mag and cable would have ran ranpant to the point were the game would have devolved into 'if your team isnt cable/mag/blank, you lose.' at which point, they might have banned them. but since there were 4 characters that could fit into 2 slots, its made for a diverse enough game at the top level for a bann to not need to happen.

that being said, low tier mvc2 is like the best thing to watch ever.

and @ dude. if you read the OP you would see that it didnt sit easy with them, althought it was for the best.

Its like if your gramma is on life support, in a coma she'll never wake from and you have no money to pay her medical bills. you have to let them pull the plug at some point.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
El Duderino is one of the most compelling debaters I know on this site.
He is right, it shouldn't sit easy on us. But dude, it was necessary, even if it was hard.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
El Duderino is one of the most compelling debaters I know on this site.
He is right, it shouldn't sit easy on us. But dude, it was necessary, even if it was hard.
Yeah, I know. At least in the short term it was necessary.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
To be honest, the ban of Meta Knight has me feeling uneasy.

But I am uneasy for reasons that don't concern anti-ban motives.

I am uneasy because I can't believe it, and I can't believe it took this long for us to realize it, and I'm also uneasy that MK, such a cool character, was too cool for school.

Yes, I'm sad, and I will miss him, but not as an in-game character, nor as the face of the Brawl community. I'm tired of him, but soon I will miss those strange grunt noises and dsmash swipes, maybe even tornado.

Not.

I'm actually being serious up to the last part :p

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
hahaha, that may be true, but a complete character ban should not sit easy with anyone that has a soul.
I have a soul, and I am sure I put in as much thought into this as much as anyone, and I am simply contributing what I can as just a person. The people who've made the decision are renowned and surely know there stuff, bias or not, they made a damn good choice and people being negative about it is only going to make it seem worse, when it's definately going to be for the better.

People should learn to go with the changes at first; until then they can be bias and oppose it, especially when so many people agree with the changes.

Ripple already pointed out the people in this thread alone agree more than disagree.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
You know, you don't need codes, SD cards, or anything if you wanted to rebalance the game and nerf Meta Knight.

You can just give him a handicap %. 40% on spawn.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
You know, you don't need codes, SD cards, or anything if you wanted to rebalance the game and nerf Meta Knight.

Then we would just pick at that number and debate whether it would
be 30% or 40% or 50%. No one restriction would ever work, and we
would still complain over something. If something
could have been done, the commitee would have thought of it. And they
have had PLENTY of time to think about this.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I'm actually opposed to patches in general. I just wanted to point out the logistics complaints are dumb.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
You know putting in codes takes a lot of time that players and TO's could be spent practicing, right?
Again it is not that hard. Just toss some files on an SD card. it takes 2 minutes of your time. But it is this sort of reaction that would make it hard convincing people to adopt.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I feel like I'm back in 2008 except now MK is banned

MK discussion thread was basically like this except about why isn't MK banned.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I'd agree if it was Melee's Handicaps. These actually give too much advantage to anyone starting at 0%. I'd rather ban broken crap than use something that causes shenanigans in tournaments. I admit, it's a neat idea, but as pointed out earlier, too many people will argue which percentage to use. To be fair, I think it's a lot of fun in casuals, but in competitive? That won't stop Metaknight at all anyway. He could easily overcome that. At most, they'd win a bit less. But at most, 20% might be reasonable.(and even then, I'd say no)

Again it is not that hard. Just toss some files on an SD card. it takes 2 minutes of your time. But it is this sort of reaction that would make hard convincing people to adopt.
Maybe you should read the ENTIRE post before you say that. Not everyone can do that. Nor should they have to go buy a 15 dollar thing so they can fix something. Now, if you read a lot of other replies, you'll notice that there's quite a lot of problems with patches. Too many people will whine to have their character be fixed as well. This does NOT solve the problem. It creates another one. Likewise, just getting rid of the character solves all the problems themself. Please stop acting like Metaknight isn't a problem. Keep in mind that we'd have to make sure every TO uses one specific patch as well. If they don't, we won't have fair results because of different gamplay. There will also be arguing one what patches need to be done in general. If we remove Metaknight, we don't have to do patches whatsoever. The tournament standard will be EXACTLY the same for all of them, no questions asked. Also, what would happen if you encountered a glitch with that patch? You could lose all your data. It's not entirely safe to do.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Summing this up:

Banning MK is fair to 37/38ths of the community.

Now can we continue with our lives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom