• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Has anyone tried posting on Sakurai's twitter about MK being banned in the states by TOs who use the Unity ruleset?
Yeah, someone should try tweeting him in Japanese. I've seen him reply to tweets before... and one time he said something about 3rd strike online. I wonder how he responded to PROPER NETCODE.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
He is a massive brain tumor that when removed takes away the freedom of choice. Either way, it's all going down hill unless we can do some reconstructive brain surgery. ;)
Nah, he is the brain tumor that made the host less viable to be as whole as it was ment to be.

Chuee

Smash Hero
LOL Snake doesn't wreck anyone in low tier. 60:40 maybe, but not bad enough to hurt a charcter from rising due to the lack of MK.

EDIT:Also Ike is mid tier yo. =D

DOUBLE EDIT: @El Duderino Really? Taking MK away takes away freedom of choice, but with MK around everyone chooses MK lol.
I know that he wrecks Lucas and some of the bottom tiers.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Yeah, hacking your system to hack your game is illegal.
Hacking a game in itself is not illegal. Soft-moding your system on the other hand is questionable. Thank God that is not a requirement to patch Brawl.

What you're talking about is casual play. Also, how do you know what "true" to the game is.
Um, no I'm not. I am talking about the competitive scene. I am just showing the whole "true" game argument is BS in the first place. My point is this. Without question, we have reached a point where the rule set, with this Meta Knight ban, is more oppressive to competitive players and less in line with the spirit of the original game than a patch fix would be. Not saying the patch would be easy or would necessarily pan out well. It certainly would however be more fair to players than a straight up ban.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He is a massive brain tumor that when removed takes away the freedom of choice. Either way, it's all going down hill unless we can do some reconstructive brain surgery. ;)
Go play tournies where he's allowed. Hate to tell ya, but you can follow the rules, or get out. That's the world for ya. And don't even go on bullcrap about that. It doesn't exist. It's an illusion.

We have freedom where it's applicable. You're free to choose what clothes you wear, unless certain things are against the rules. You know you can't wear a t-shirt with nudity on it in public? See that? That's where the "freedom of choice" doesn't exist. Once again, go play in different tournaments or host your own. This is just one set of tournaments. Stop acting like they've taken away your free will. They haven't.

It's a video game, after all. Just choose not to play.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Hacking a game in itself is not illegal. Soft-moding your system on the other hand is questionable. Thank God that is not a requirement to patch Brawl.

Um, no I'm not. I am talking about the competitive scene. I am just showing the whole "true" game argument is BS in the first place. My point is this. Without question, we have reached a point where the rule set, with this Meta Knight ban, is more oppressive to competitive players and less in line with the spirit of the original game than a patch fix would be. Not saying the patch would be easy or necessary would pan out well, but it certainly, if implemented, would be better for players than a straight up ban.
I can say one measly thing and you probably would shut up.

MK = The thousands of big businesses that seek power, money, and control.

I'm sure we've seen how that had turned out.

The simple things are what makes the big things go round, yet the big things scoff at the little things.

SO YOU MUST DESTROY THE PROBLEM. Mauahaha :ganondorf:

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Go play tournies where he's allowed. Hate to tell ya, but you can follow the rules, or get out. That's the world for ya.
That's a delightful message for all the Meta Knight players out there. Life is not fair, but that is no excuse to be selfish when there is an alternative.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Go find a cheat device that works on the Wii. If it does, sure, no problem. Unfortunately, that won't work without hacking the system. Which is what's illegal. There's no legal route now. It sucks, but that's life.

Um, no I'm not. I am talking about the competitive scene. I am just showing the whole "true" game argument is BS in the first place. My point is this. Without question, we have reached a point where the rule set, with this Meta Knight ban, is more oppressive to competitive players and less in line with the spirit of the original game than a patch fix would be. Not saying the patch would be easy or necessary would pan out well, but it certainly, if implemented, would be better for players than a straight up ban.
Don't even go with the "oppressive" crap. It's a video game. You can choose not to play, or whine till the cow come home. You cannot get a legal patch whether you like it or not. BTW, why don't you go hack it yourself and run those tournaments yourself if it's such a problem. Also, that "spirit". A tip for you: Only Sakurai has that intention. And we went against his apparent casual preference a long time ago. Whatever spirit is LOST already. Deal with the fact that not everybody likes seeing the same character winning tournies. People want change. And some take the legal route of change. Your only proposal to fix Metaknight is illegal. Also, you do realize that the limits we have to put on Metaknight are a huge list. The limits we put on the game by banning Metaknight? A lot smaller. In reality, banning him keeps the spirit of the game better, because there's less limits. The game was designed to be casual anyway.

If you're really talking about "competitive gameplay", which it's pretty hard to tell now, you'd realize that that does not exist within keeping the spirit of the game. Likewise, we can play the game how we want to legally. That includes holding tournaments with specific rules to make it as fair as possible for everyone. Banning Metaknight further makes it fair for everyone. It was more than enough of a reasonable decision.

That's a delightful message for all the Meta Knight players out there. Life is not fair, but that is no excuse to be selfish when there is an alternative.
Yep, let's make even more rules to make an overpowered character less powerful. Despite the fact that he STILL is the major problem in the metagame alone, and we already made tons of rules for him alone. Sounds fun to me, oh, wait, no it doesn't. It sounds just annoying instead. Likewise, there's two alternatives total: Make more rules(that wouldn't be needed if he was banned, btw, and it doesn't affect any other character, nor should it need to), or hack the system. Both are bad ideas.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ike only has a high speed cap in his game, he has a low speed growth in his 2nd game *nitpick*

Though I guess if we want to base off GC Ike, then yes, he's the 2nd fastest class in his game and has average strength.

Anyways, Ike has jab, speed is a nonissue.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
lol You have a funny definition of pretty bad. I see 2 stocking, or 1 stock low %s as being bad.

EDIT:Also Snake's don't really talk about this mu so I don't really know their opinion on it.

Chuee

Smash Hero
lol You have a funny definition of pretty bad. I see 2 stocking, or 1 stock low %s as being bad.

EDIT:Also Snake's don't really talk about this mu so I don't really know their opinion on it.
I don't know about snake's, but pretty much every Lucas thinks it's -3.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Go find a cheat device that works on the Wii. If it does, sure, no problem. Unfortunately, that won't work without hacking the system. Which is what's illegal. There's no legal route now. It sucks, but that's life.
Haha, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Copy the Brawl Codeset to an SD card and you are good to go. It does not get any simpler than that.

Banning Metaknight further makes it fair for everyone.
It levels the playing field, but fair for everyone? That is one massive stretch when you consider this is singling out a group of players. The only truly fair thing that could possibly be done is patch the game, though that of course could cause it's own unfounded hysteria, like your misinformed situation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
HyperFalcon sure saves me typing :awesome:
I can't tell if you're complimenting me or not. The smiley's design screws up what I think. Yes, I'm being honest here, and I admit I'm a bit dense.

Also, please keep in mind I'm not trying to actual get people to stop playing the Brawl hacks either. While I don't personally use them, I don't plan on calling people out on them. I just don't prefer them.

Haha, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Copy the Brawl Codeset to an SD card and you are good to go. It does not get any simpler than that.
Then go ahead and do that. You have yet to prove how banning Metaknight is a completely bad thing for the overall community.

It levels the playing field, but fair for everyone? That is one massive stretch when you consider this is singling out a group of players.
If they can't do anything more than depend on one overpowered character, then that's their problem. Maybe I mispoke: It's fair for the overall community. It also brings something new to the table, actual diversity. There's atleast 6 characters that could be heavily varied in topping. Not just 1. It's still better. Also, for people comparing this to Marvel VS Capcom 2? You play as 3 characters at once. There's a huge difference in how their metagame works due to how gameplay works. It's not based upon one player vs one player or two player vs two player. It's 3 characters vs 3 characters. The whole thing works differently.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord

It levels the playing field, but fair for everyone? That is one massive stretch when you consider this is singling out a group of players.
A group of players that pretty much dominate the tourney scene.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Yeah, but it's not like it's a common mu to run into for Snakes to really learn it. Olimar is like that, & Snakes consider it his hardest mu, because of that.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ Congratulations Meta Knight, you will forever be known as the first character in Smash Bros. history to EVER be ban in a Smash Bros. competitive scenes:

☯ My only question is how much will the next tier list change?!

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I can't tell if you're complimenting me or not. The smiley's design screws up what I think. Yes, I'm being honest here, and I admit I'm a bit dense.

Also, please keep in mind I'm not trying to actual get people to stop playing the Brawl hacks either. While I don't personally use them, I don't plan on calling people out on them. I just don't prefer them.
I'm complimenting you.

This being said, it's a bit depressing stopping mid-sentence to see someone already put down what you were typing.
This is true.

Fair for the community in the long run. Dog, shut up. They have until Apex to learn a new character and as already stated in this thread, Top MK players have secondaries and such.

I love cosmetically hacking my Brawl (textures and music), but if it's not bad...why hasn't Nintendo supported it yet?

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Last time I checked, Meta Knight players are people too.
People that should strap their balls on and learn to accept the inevitable changes.

You aren't putting a dent in anything. Everything you say is coming out of your ***.

Except, the part about the hacks and stuff. I have no say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom