• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Message to the fellow ROB mains

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Stop ****ing saying ROB is trash. We play a broken *** character, so stop acting like we're all Link or Sonic players that have next to nothing going for them. ROB isn't bad. In fact, he's good. We're all being lazy ***** and doing nothing to advance the metagame of one of the best characters in Brawl, and as a result, some people are under the impression that we play a trash characters.

Get good guys, then tell me ROB sucks.

I still <3 you all though

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
ROB sucks

people dont know half of the good techniques to do with him yet outside a couple of people.

iv been shcemeing a lot of new things to do with him that are pretty sweet. hint: its upB

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
You guys need to not be so exclusive when it comes to sharing what you find out....

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
iv mentioned it b4 and told ppl, i just dont think i posted it. u also see me go for it a lot in my recent vids. essentially, my play style now is all around getting early kills since rob cant kill. go for outrageous kill moves because most of them wont put u in a situation to get punished so then ur fine if u miss, no gain no loss. i go for usmash all the time, and my new thing is following opponents as soon as i hit them with upB and spewing nairs. if you nair someone at above ground level, you kill them at a MUCH lower percent, like around 90ish on the top platform of bf, compared to like 140 or so on the ground. if ur near the top of the screen ul get kills around 50-60

Deadweight

Smash Ace
ughhhhhhh I need to polish my play style ive gotten reallly predictable =/ people read me all day

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Stop ****ing saying ROB is trash. We play a broken *** character, so stop acting like we're all Link or Sonic players that have next to nothing going for them. ROB isn't bad. In fact, he's good. We're all being lazy ***** and doing nothing to advance the metagame of one of the best characters in Brawl, and as a result, some people are under the impression that we play a trash characters.

Get good guys, then tell me ROB sucks.

I still <3 you all though
TY Gw!

What the beep, ROBots?

"It's hopelessssssssssssss!" is something a fellow rob main and I from the midwest say to mock how depressing the rob boards seem. I don't even believe in this "ceiling." R.O.B. has too much in his arsenal.

I have something (I'll post later when I get ahold of some recording equipment) that shows a pretty alright edgehogging technique I found with the robot. Overswarm says he's never seen it done before so it seems pretty legit. It's great against characters that recover suddenly like marth.

I love seeing R.O.B. mains at tournies. Mostly the pure ones. I love it when people beep when I walk into a smash venue.

I hate entering the R.O.B. boards because people seem so discouraged that some ball with a sword seems to shut the coolest character on the roster down. Bullbeep. I go toe-to-toe with a lot of MK mains. Some of the best in the midwest. It isn't hopeless. Just stop being pansies and work at it. Play who you love and win with who you love. It's possible.

The negativity keeps me from posting here. If more people like GW, and a few select others (Holy, Sneaky Tako, etc), would keep beepin around the boards, then maybe I'd spin my top here a bit longer. Until then...this beepo will beep solo.

Kid Nino

Smash Cadet
ROB sucks

people dont know half of the good techniques to do with him yet outside a couple of people.

iv been shcemeing a lot of new things to do with him that are pretty sweet. hint: its upB
I don't get why people think that he is hopeless. There's always a chance something could be discovered to improve the metagame.

^And I think Chibo has the right idea, his uploading video's of him playing as R.O.B. has helped me a great deal. Just to see how he can deal with certain situations, and watching him edge hog at times has helped me get the timing down. (So thank you very much Chibo)

Anyways, I'm not going to lie. I'm not as experinced as all of you, nor am I very knowledgable about the AT's of R.O.B. however, if and when I learn and become a more mature R.O.B. player you can bet I won't be one of the one's waving a white flag to MK or G+W. :)

TheMike

Smash Lord
What about working more at some ROB's Social Groups so as to advance his metagame at some reserved places?

It's hopeless.
I <3 you all.
I can't help it. The metal, the circuitry......

Anyways, yeah, ROB isn't trash. He's got the best projectile game, only tied with TL. He's got **** aerial sh*t too. I dun understand why people say he's trash. We need to step it up, ROBs.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Link and Sonic are both great characters, ROB on the other hand has very limited options. Link can camp and Sonic is fast. What does ROB have? That's what I thought.

Link saves princesses. Sonic can break the sound barrier with his legs.

ROB? piece of plastic that breaks easily.

All in all, it's hopeless. Where is the hope? There is none.

/hope

:093:

@Stingers: Yeah, but Fair cancells out everything but bombs. And those are obvious. And let's not forget the ROFLCopter.

Oh Cam, I actually got the sarcasm there.

Sudai

Stuff here
I might be doing the unforgivable and be getting back into Brawl. I messed with a lot of strange things since I've gotten back into Brawl. Nothing like Chibo's Up-B usage, it's more little gyro things mixed with small combo strings. They're not big damage, but they're more damage than our normal close range game. I saw some video of people using it at lower percents, but I've figured out a way we can get garunteed combos at higher percents(80-110ish%). :] Vids to come if I ever play on a recorded TV? Next time I think I'll be around recording equipment is Thanksgiving though.. >< If I can't get around any soon, I'll at least have had time to actually write up something explaining my thoughts. :o

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Dude Sudai, nice!

I love my low% combos. First hit of jab -> dtilt -> dash attack -> **** their DI

advancing bair -> dtilt -> dsmash -> **** their DI

om nom nom

Sudai

Stuff here
Some low ones I -really- love are things like BAir > Jab > DTilt > Stutter Step F-Smash. It's soooooooooooo much damage. String to Dash Attack > UTilt **** > UAir DI+Airdodge ****. Too easy but also a lot of freakin damage. Especially if you cancel the UAir into another UTilt. Doesn't always work but it's nice when it does.

Sadly the high percent combos don't do -that- much, but they do deal a good bit.

Something I want to see more is people using lasers for combos. Too many people are obsessed about saving their laser to make it big. **** that. Shoot lasers after every hit until they're around 80%. That extra 4% every few strings builds up and you still get the KO laser out of F/BThrow/Bair.

I really just needed a break from Brawl I guess. @_@

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Who saves laser for bigness

I only do that if I REALLY can't kill my opponent and I need it for that...

Or if I'm just reading like a madman and can keep being aggro and don't need my laser...which is easier on small stages...jesus I love Castle Siege.

Bair Jab Dtilt...okay. Stutter Step Fsmash? I wasn't even aware you could Stutter Step with ROB >.> I thought that was a Mario/Ganon thing.

Sudai

Stuff here
It's an every character thing, just some characters don't get as much benefit. ROB's is -just- enough to catch most of the characters in this. Only small farts avoid the FSmash and you just have to know those and then DSmash. :]

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Really @.@ New info, cool.

Low% Uthrow is ****. Read their DI and Nair or Uair, ****. It's way better than Low% Dthrow.

Sudai

Stuff here
I love B/FThrow at low percents, actually. I -always- play near an edge unless it's someone I can't do that against...so I net a lot of damage of punished recoveries. Then by the time I need them at higher percents, they're fresh again. I think the offstage game is better than the under game a good deal for ROB except against a few certain characters. I don't really know which is better overall, probably changes on a player by player basis and is something you'd need to test on each person..but I just prefer the edge guard fight more. :o

stingers

Smash Obsessed
If I'm on the center platform stage like BF (mostly just BF, lol) then I usually do an Fthrow once and hurry and regrab because people are slow. Then I do a uthrow, let them land on the platform, and Uair or Nair or something.

I mean if you're near an edge and can get them off with a Bthrow or something, that's nice. Fthrow out towards the ledge sucks though because the angle it sends at makes it too easy for people to DI up and you can't get anything out of it. But I've gotten countless low% gimps with Bthrow offstage to edgeguard.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Since I <3 ROB even though I play ZSS now, here's something that I've been experimenting with that might be useful for you guys (some people probly already do this, I duno):

With the gyro, zdrop>fair (pick it back up)>Glidetoss forward during fair hitstun>followup. This combos at some percents, and works really well when retreating especially.

Basically, I think one of the areas you guys can keep improving in is item game. Don't just settle for the easy glidetoss to followup, use that thing creatively to combo, and take advantage of it's unique physics. Each item has different things about it that can be exploited (think, for zss suit pieces are crazy fast and bounce).

stingers

Smash Obsessed
oh i love playing with items

against diddy, you have a FATAL setup if you get a nanner. just zdrop a nanner right in front of diddy then do a bair into them. you'll always get a kill as long as they're at a high enough % for the bair to send them off, cuz diddy is pretty simple to edgeguard.

this works with the gyro too, though not as well cuz they can shield the gyro (and then the bair)

i dont think i've ever lost to a diddy...ever. such a good matchup for rob.

Sudai

Stuff here
I did lose to Diddy for the longest time because there were no Diddy's around to learn against.... One day at WHOBO, though, me and LaThien sat there for like..20-30minutes and I learned it hard core. You can control his bananas so well. 1 Banana on the ground, leave your gyro on top of the banana, hold the other banana. Diddy can't spawn more bananas, Diddy can't grab bananas. He can only pick up one item at a time so just wait and watch him if he tries to grab one and punish the trip/hit stun. It's way too easy.

This is some of the gyro **** I was talking about. There's a lot of edge guarding gyro things that are amazing and a lot of glidetoss combos that people are yet to really implement.

Another good gyro thingy is setting up a gyro on the stage, then getting your opponent in front of it, THEN ROFLCoptering it. It practically eats up shield. They can't really punish you, because you pressure them toward the gyro, and if they try to grab you, the gyro still hits them.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I like shooting gyro's into explosions and lava, and try to bounce it into my opponents. Norfair's right and left lava walls bounce gyros pretty well

Ace76

Smash Cadet
Not sure if this is know, but if you consistently keep a gyro out it can mess up DDD's chaingrabbing.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
TAKO SIGHTING !!

Who the hell saves their laser? Every ROB is a liberal user of laser. If anything, the problem is that we mostly don't let it charge enough. A charged laser can knock the opponent away long enough to safely get back on-stage and at high percents it's probably more prudent to save it for a kill (or get them back off-stage) instead of "just" trying to tack on another 5%. For one, it's the only way to kill Meta Knight off-stage. :p

@Stingers: Yeah, but Fair cancells out everything but bombs.
And it can catch those!

Bair Jab Dtilt...okay. Stutter Step Fsmash? I wasn't even aware you could Stutter Step with ROB >.> I thought that was a Mario/Ganon thing.
Every character can stutterstep. You can dash forward/back a small distance and still FSmash out of the initial dash animation, before you enter a full dash (where you can only dash attack). It's just a slightly alteration to your spacing. Some characters, like Mario and Ganon, take an additional step forward when they turnaround FSmash, so their "backwards" stutterstep actually shows as a very large forward step.

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
Oh good point, but theres just a lot of things ROB can do i guess. >.>

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
One thing I like to do, even if its simple+kind of a waste, is this: If I need to build up some damage, a thing I like to do is space myself away, charge up a gyro and fire it, then just laser after whether they shield, roll, or jump. Almost always works. Then proceed to DI ****.

Top Bottom