• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meowth for SSBB

hungrybum

Smash Journeyman
In all truthfulness Meowth is the only other pokemon I see with a "very good likely hood" of getting in as a playable character from the Pokemon world who hasn't been in as a PC yet.

"Lucario had a movie". One co-starring role in a movie from 2 years ago and never did anything important. . . :ohwell:

Meowth is the only other pokemon to appear in the anime as much as Pika (more if you count the spin offs that have nothing to do with Ash and Pika). He is also the only other 1st gen pokemon to stay in the series from start to now and is way more reconizedable than any pokemon from any other gen.
(He has also appeared in every movie and is still used today to push pokey crap)

Sakurai has shown that he doesn't give 2 monkey's ***es about having pokemon characters rep "gens" seeing as the only new pokemon characters we have seen up til now are all from the 1st gen. Thats part of the reason why I don't see being from w/e gen as a plus for any pokemon. When it comes down to it it's about importance and recognizably to the masses...

Pika=Important (MASCOTT of the series/ brand) & Recognizable
Red=Important (FIRST trainer you play as and is in the most games) & Recognizable
His 3 playable character pokemon=Important (FIRST and most well known starters) & Recognizable
Puff=Important (to this day she is still the 2nd most popular pokemon) & Recognizable
Mew2=Important (the only villian of the games and was the star of the biggest anime movie to ever hit the US) & Recognizable.

Meowth is the closest thing I can think if to that.

Actually, i'm 90% ok with what you said... mew2 is as much a villain as deoxys, groudon, rayquaza and meowth in the case of pkmn yellow (with the only difference that him and meowth have own minds). Otherwise your abolutly right!

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Well Mewtwo is a little different from Deoxys, Groudon ans Rayquaza because his movie was actually succsful and was released at the movies, their ones were straight to tv.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Why should the other gens be repped by playable characters? Aren't moves, stickers, trophys, pokeballs and items good enough for you?
Yea, every gen doesn't NEED to be reped by a playable pkmn. I still think Lucario has a good chance tho. His moveset writes itself.

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
In all truthfulness Meowth is the only other pokemon I see with a "very good likely hood" of getting in as a playable character from the Pokemon world who hasn't been in as a PC yet.

"Lucario had a movie". One co-starring role in a movie from 2 years ago and never did anything important. . . :ohwell:

Meowth is the only other pokemon to appear in the anime as much as Pika (more if you count the spin offs that have nothing to do with Ash and Pika). He is also the only other 1st gen pokemon to stay in the series from start to now and is way more reconizedable than any pokemon from any other gen.
(He has also appeared in every movie and is still used today to push pokey crap)

Sakurai has shown that he doesn't give 2 monkey's ***es about having pokemon characters rep "gens" seeing as the only new pokemon characters we have seen up til now are all from the 1st gen. Thats part of the reason why I don't see being from w/e gen as a plus for any pokemon. When it comes down to it it's about importance and recognizably to the masses...

Pika=Important (MASCOTT of the series/ brand) & Recognizable
Red=Important (FIRST trainer you play as and is in the most games) & Recognizable
His 3 playable character pokemon=Important (FIRST and most well known starters) & Recognizable
Puff=Important (to this day she is still the 2nd most popular pokemon) & Recognizable
Mew2=Important (the only villian of the games and was the star of the biggest anime movie to ever hit the US) & Recognizable.

Meowth is the closest thing I can think if to that.
This exactly what i have been saying for a long time. QFT

hungrybum

Smash Journeyman
Yay now that gardevoir has been deconfirmed it gives meowth more chances of being in!:)

Fawriel

Smash Master
I'll get back to you if Meowth doesn't even turn up in a Pokeball. =P
Considering that Meowth was in 64 and Weezing in Melee, I wouldn't be surprised to see Arbok this time.

But, that is not to say that I don't like Meowth. With Gardy out of the picture, the best Pokemon roster in my eyes would be Pikachu, Mewtwo, PT, Meowth, Lucario.

hungrybum

Smash Journeyman
He is, with Lucario, the one with the most chances of being a newcomer, why should we let him away considering that Pichu is out(i hope!) and jiggles and mew2 could not be coming back?

Fawriel

Smash Master
Mewtwo not coming back? He is, right next to Pikachu, the only Pokemon who really deserves to be in Smash. Jigglypuff is just some famous comic relief. Lucario is just some famous action hero. Meowth is just part of the running gag trio and somehow didn't manage to be chosen over frikkin Jigglypuff in the first place.

The only one who is almost guaranteed not to make it is Pichu, and the only one who could possibly not come back is Jiggly. Saying that Mewtwo might not be back is like saying that Ganondorf won't return. Almost.

EDIT: I'm probably sounding too aggressive. I just want to make the point: If Sakurai decides to drop Mewtwo of all people, he obviously hates Pokemon.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Actually, i'm 90% ok with what you said... mew2 is as much a villain as deoxys, groudon, rayquaza and meowth in the case of pkmn yellow (with the only difference that him and meowth have own minds). Otherwise your abolutly right!
Actually, Mew2 was the ONLY pokemon to mass murder a manion full of people and try to commit genocize on the human race. All the others where just. . .super strong pokemon fighting (Deoxy and Ray) or being controled by bad people (Groudon) and Meowth is only a "badguy" part of a evil group but never did anything as big as Mew2. More like comic relief.
Mewtwo is also the only one to really be a villian in the games.

Give another generation a chance. Playable Pokemon can't just be limited to 1st generation you know.
Sakurai already shown he doesn't give 2 craps about a pokemon being from a "newer gen" so why use that as a reasin against Meowth?

Shuma

Smash Hero
I fail to see how Meowth has a chance. Take away the Anime and he is just a regular pokemon, besides didn't Sakurai something about not adding anime characters?

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Take away Jiggly's anime and she's just a regular pokemon and all of the Pokemon trophys were based on their anime appearances, Sakurai makes exceptions for Nintendo property.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Take away Jiggly's anime and she's just a regular pokemon and all of the Pokemon trophys were based on their anime appearances, Sakurai makes exceptions for Nintendo property.
Same thing with Pikachu.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Meowth would be my favorite Pokemon player if he came to Brawl...

I can't understand why melee added pichu but not meowth, it boggles the mind.

1. He would have a unique moveset - payday for the win!!!
2. One of the original pokemon, and a popular/important one at that. Sakurai prefers the originals over the new pokemon right?
3. He talks, therefore he isn't as annoying as the other pokemon. Pika pika, jiga jiga, yata yata shoot me in the face. The ability to talk easily makes him one of the most personable pokemon.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Sakurai already shown he doesn't give 2 craps about a pokemon being from a "newer gen"
No, he has not. -_-
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. All he has shown is that, of the two playable characters announced, both are from the first generation. Big deal.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
POKEMON IS NOT REPPED BY GENERATIONS GET THIS THROUGH YOUR THICK HEADS.
Generations are irrelivant when adding pokemon, as long as the series is repped who gives a **** it not all the generations have playable pokemon. Whiny Pokemon fans who say "oh no we only have 5 playable pokemon which is more like 7 because one of the characters counts as three and they are all from one generation. Even though some great franchises are stuck with only two characters boo hoo"

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Seems like it was directed to the entire universe judging by the font.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Was just wondering because since your last post before that one, nobody said anything obnoxious about Pokemon being repped by generation.
Unless you misinterpreted my post, in which I just pointed out a flaw in B/L's logic.
I agree that the series should be repped as a whole, I just happen to find most of the first gen pretty boring by now. =P

hungrybum

Smash Journeyman
Should meowth be in before lucario? or not? Lucario seems to be more popular but it could be considered as a fad pokemon with no importance to the series. Meowth could also replace pichu or jiggs but he NEEDS his place in the game

hungrybum

Smash Journeyman
Meowth would be my favorite Pokemon player if he came to Brawl...

I can't understand why melee added pichu but not meowth, it boggles the mind.

1. He would have a unique moveset - payday for the win!!!
2. One of the original pokemon, and a popular/important one at that. Sakurai prefers the originals over the new pokemon right?
3. He talks, therefore he isn't as annoying as the other pokemon. Pika pika, jiga jiga, yata yata shoot me in the face. The ability to talk easily makes him one of the most personable pokemon.
Meowth was supposed to be in but due to the time .... blah blah blah
They cutted him out and put a stupid clonish character instead!!!

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Well Lucario had one movie but Meowth has been a main character in the show since episode 2, 10 seasons later he's still one of the main characters. That should defiantly count for something, and before you say "Sakurai said no Anime or Manga characters" I present you with this:
Misty's SSBM Trophy:

Misty's artwork for Fire Red and Leaf Green

Misty from season one of the show

Need I say anymore?

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
Lucario is as much as a fad as as Deoxys and Blaziken were. Notice how no one wants 2nd gen pokemon anymore?

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Yeah because they second gen while still fun didn't have an iconic pokemon at all, maybe Maril or Togepi but really none... Heracross was just made of epic win though.

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
It would be cool if Team Rocket's Meowth gets to be in the game. Also Misty.

Top Bottom