• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee It On Me podcast! Join the MIOM Facebook Group!

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I think we should spam Nintendo of America on twitter about raisin money for breat cancer. I think it's more important than their party at sundance. Seriously hoping journalists mention the whole Evo fund anyways.

:phone:

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I don't want their donations I want acknowledgment. I dunno why, but its super easy pr for them but they'd rather ignore it.

Pengie

Smash Lord
Haven't watched the full episode so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but this whole thing is also a good way to get Namco's attention which I think could be very important considering their involvement in smash 4.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Haven't watched the full episode so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but this whole thing is also a good way to get Namco's attention which I think could be very important considering their involvement in smash 4.
Very good point considering high Namco reps attend EVO as well. :)

And they actually listen to the community too. lol

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
smash at evo is not really PR for nintendo, that's not how they want to position smash. they want smash to be an accessible party game. it's not aligned with their marketing strategy >_>

might be different with namco in the mix though

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Might be obvious since we pretty much expended most of our donation drive in one night, but SG is going up at a much higher pace than Melee at the moment. Like it did before our mass donation.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Mr. Wizard did at Evo 2k8 what the Brawl community should have done to begin with. He tested a minimalist ruleset, with as few things banned as possible. The Melee community did it; items were legal for 2-3 years before they were finally banned (the main reason being the exploding containers that could not be turned off, which is not a problem in Brawl). Comparatively, the Brawl community banned them before the game even came out. Who knows what competitive Brawl could have been with items legal? With Glide Tossing, Instant Throw (or whatever it's called), and all sorts of other interesting techniques that only really see use when a Diddy Kong or first-stock Zero Suit Samus is in play, I might even still be playing it competitively. I guarantee you a Meta Knight wouldn't be planking his heart out with a 4% lead if Food were spawning on-stage.
I applaud Mr. Wizard and EVO for having the guts to go against the grain despite obviously hurting his attendance numbers for what he felt was the right way to run his tournament.

Furthermore, EVO and the FGC in general has come a long way in tournament formats since the 2007 and earlier events. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even then they were doing best of 3 finals. Nowadays you'll never see best of 1 or even single-elimination at a fighting game tournament, no matter how large.

I'm very excited to see Melee at EVO if it gets in, and will most likely attend depending on G3NESIS' dates. I have faith in the EVO team to put together an amazing event, we just need to get there first.
There is actually a lot of truth in this post.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Good stuff guys, keep it up! Expect some competition though. Two Best Friends made a post on FB asking for people to donate to SG.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Yes we are in the lead =). But since the donation night, we have stalled a little again. I know, "duh", but SG was at 4.8 or so when we had 13.5 iirc.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Might be obvious since we pretty much expended most of our donation drive in one night, but SG is going up at a much higher pace than Melee at the moment. Like it did before our mass donation.
Not sure if it's "much" higher, but yeah they were at about 4k when we started our drive, and we were at 3.5k or so. Since then they have raised an additional $2k, which is pretty amazing. But yeah, as you mentioned, that's to be expected since we focused a lot of donations that could have potentially dropped earlier or later than the drive in that time period.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I think we should spam Nintendo of America on twitter about raisin money for breat cancer. I think it's more important than their party at sundance. Seriously hoping journalists mention the whole Evo fund anyways.

LET'S DO THIS, create a thread =) I hate Nintendo for ignoring us, let's make ourselves heard and take everything out of this opportunity!

This is true, I noticed the same and that's why we need to watch out. There's still 11 days left, more than enough for SG to catch us if they keep going the pace they have up till this point + possible snipers

No stress though, because Melee will be at EVO anyway

smopup

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai has stopped looking/posting on Twitter, so no, that won't work.
I remember reading that news in December too. Considering he's been posting and replying all throughout January (including just a couple of days ago), it doesn't look like he's avoiding it at all. =P

That said, I have no idea what he's actually writing about. For all I know his tweets are telling people to STFU and leave him alone, haha.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
just to quickly chime in on the last couple pages of discussion about what evo should mean to the community...

I think it's important for smash players to realize that what evo should be about for us is the spectacle and building bridges with the FGC. This is most likely not going to be the type of tournamet players should go to in order to play 20 hours of friendlies. It's the type of tournament where you warm up, play, get knocked out and then enjoy the show of all the awesome games that will be there. Just taking a couple days to get acquainted with SF4AE and UMvC3 and KoF13 (and any other games you find yourself drawn to) will go a long way towards your ability to appreciate Evo if you ask me. And honestly, I don't play any of the 7 current games on the Evo ticket but I still enjoy watching tons of SF4/MvC3/KoF13 after putting in a minimal amount of effort to understand what the players are doing. I just think it's incredibly important that we as smashers don't seclude ourselves to our own game as this will reinforce the standpoint that Smash isn't a fighting game/doesn't belong in the FGC.

Evo is not a grassroots tournament and it will most likely be missing these aspects that we've grown accustomed to in running our own tournaments (friendly TVs, the sole possession of the spotlight, secondary tournaments [teams, low tiers, amateur brackets]). However, I do believe that right now is a great time to expand our player base and the appreciation of our game. I think Melee's acceptance as a worthwhile fighter among the FGC has been improving a lot lately as the Melee community continues to thrive and Smash players start to play other games and show that while the crossover is less perfect than most fighting games, a lot of the same abilities actually do transfer and we can actually appreciate each others games on many of the same levels.

Revven

FrankerZ
just to quickly chime in on the last couple pages of discussion about what evo should mean to the community...

I think it's important for smash players to realize that what evo should be about for us is the spectacle and building bridges with the FGC. This is most likely not going to be the type of tournamet players should go to in order to play 20 hours of friendlies. It's the type of tournament where you warm up, play, get knocked out and then enjoy the show of all the awesome games that will be there. Just taking a couple days to get acquainted with SF4AE and UMvC3 and KoF13 (and any other games you find yourself drawn to) will go a long way towards your ability to appreciate Evo if you ask me. And honestly, I don't play any of the 7 current games on the Evo ticket but I still enjoy watching tons of SF4/MvC3/KoF13 after putting in a minimal amount of effort to understand what the players are doing. I just think it's incredibly important that we as smashers don't seclude ourselves to our own game as this will reinforce the standpoint that Smash isn't a fighting game/doesn't belong in the FGC.

Evo is not a grassroots tournament and it will most likely be missing these aspects that we've grown accustomed to in running our own tournaments (friendly TVs, the sole possession of the spotlight, secondary tournaments [teams, low tiers, amateur brackets]). However, I do believe that right now is a great time to expand our player base and the appreciation of our game. I think Melee's acceptance as a worthwhile fighter among the FGC has been improving a lot lately as the Melee community continues to thrive and Smash players start to play other games and show that while the crossover is less perfect than most fighting games, a lot of the same abilities actually do transfer and we can actually appreciate each others games on many of the same levels.
This x10000000. You can't go wrong if you just give the other games a chance. I used to never like Street Fighter or Marvel but as soon as I watched Evo 2010, I was hooked, and have been watching most fighting game streams since then. You learn a lot and you also get to watch something that is extremely entertaining and hype. Doing that in person also allows you to include yourself in the hype that surrounds the stage. You don't have to play them to appreciate or like them. Just be a spectator!

BrandX

Smash Ace
This x10000000. You can't go wrong if you just give the other games a chance. I used to never like Street Fighter or Marvel but as soon as I watched Evo 2010, I was hooked, and have been watching most fighting game streams since then. You learn a lot and you also get to watch something that is extremely entertaining and hype. Doing that in person also allows you to include yourself in the hype that surrounds the stage. You don't have to play them to appreciate or like them. Just be a spectator!
You know that's a very correct thing indeed. Hell the same can be with me and Melee/Brawl/Project M. I stopped playing smash long ago because I lost interest, but hell...if you guys do make it to Evo, maybe your tournament will finally get me to play one of the following games again if you are hype enough.

or I'll end up just sticking with Playstation All Stars because it included Kat from Gravity Ru-

BrandX

Smash Ace
Lol, I don't think anyone here cares about PizzAS:BR
I know, I just really wanted to make that joke.

But in all seriousness, I understand what Mogwai is saying.

I do heavily agree that branching out to other games is probably a good way to start connecting communities as, like he said, shows that no matter what game you play, knowledge will transfer.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Good point Mogwai - btw I think I'm going to talk to AZ about moving this back to Melee Discussion - traffic took a huge hit since then.

Planning Episode 5 by the way - e5 is going to be an attempt at a 1hr episode so we'll see what we can do there. <3

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
It would be late for him but come on, he can spare a few minutes right?

Also 2 hours is good, unless this is a one time thing. Over 2 hours is pushing it for certain time zones.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Good point Mogwai - btw I think I'm going to talk to AZ about moving this back to Melee Discussion - traffic took a huge hit since then.

Planning Episode 5 by the way - e5 is going to be an attempt at a 1hr episode so we'll see what we can do there. <3
I think it'll do a lot better in MD as well.

I'm just going to move it back. Uh, I guess you can tell me/AZ if you want it back in the breast cancer donation forum.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Maybe you could discuss better ways to record. There was tons of stuff at apex that wasn't recorded. Maybe a to could give a discount to a recording setup.

Hmw better commentate genesis

smopup

Smash Journeyman
Armada is down for an appearance, but it'd have to be a Sunday episode.
I hope all the podcasters are available at the time. I would love to see this happen since it would be such a great send off for Armada (not as fitting as EVO or G3 though :troll:).

Top Bottom