• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee in 2012: Year in Review

Engo

Smash Ace
The list at the end made me realize KK hasn't gotten below top 5 at any tourneys this year. And Unknown hasnt gotten below top 10. Good **** guys.

and the year in review is a great read as always, thanks a lot Juggleguy.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Juggleguy: Great job as always =)
One misstake though

"RoM 5 became the first paid-entry tournament to break 100 entrants the weekend after another 100-entrant Melee tournament since the summer of 2007, when there were a remarkable three consecutive weekends featuring 100-entrant Melee majors."

ESA3 (France) was the weekend after Smash attack (Germany) back in 2009. And both are listed on 100+ so I guess that should count ;)
Ah, I had no idea. Fixed, thanks!

I'll be that guy: you said "interncontinental" in place of "intercontinental".
Fixed, thanks.

sick thread! 2012 was fun

tink/kels vs darkrain/dmac was losers semis. grand finals was me/deku vs tink/kels :)
I guess I let my Darkrain fanboyism get to me. Fixed, thanks!

Battlecow

Play to Win
Plank is one of the greatest TOs of all time. Show some respect.
He's undoubtedly the worst TO of all time. I will not show any respect to the guy who robbed 300-odd smashers and then ran, and I'm disturbed that there are still people (a lot of them, disgustingly enough) who defend him

Don't mean to derail, just responding.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
I always look forward to these! Awesome work putting everything together (yet again), Juggleguy!

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
He's undoubtedly the worst TO of all time. I will not show any respect to the guy who robbed 300-odd smashers and then ran, and I'm disturbed that there are still people (a lot of them, disgustingly enough) who defend him

dude, have you ever even attended a pound, let alone pound 5? wow.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
This is amazing Juggleguy, thanks so much for making it! So hyped for Melee in 2013. SO. HYPED.

Paju

Smash Journeyman
Awesome job, Juggleguy! I always really enjoy reading these.

Small correction: Please write NamiNami's name without the space (in Smashers' Reunion: Melee Grande results).

Armada

Smash Lord
dude, have you ever even attended a pound, let alone pound 5? wow.
I have attend 2 Pound tournament but what Plank did was a really bad move. Tbh he actually never even gave me (I guess this include everyone that won money) a apology, And he really wanted me to go to Pound V and he know how ****ed up I was after Pound V because of what he did and even then he could not give me/anyone a real apology.

The events were good but he made some poor decisoon for sure.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Hey juggleguy, can you put the number of entrants in parenthesis for biggest tournament in the growth section?
Good idea. I'll do that, though I may need some help identifying the exact number of entrants for some pre-2007 tourneys.

Do you mind editing the closing thoughts to include something about melee online. That's kinda significant.
I meant to include it since it was in the opening paragraph, but I forgot to do so. Will edit that in.

Just noticed there is no mention of SSBPD. It's getting revamped atm so maybe its best to hold off until next year, but I'd say it was a significant step forward.
I'll edit it in soon.

btw Lovage, MM at Apex for fun? $5-$10?
MM for fun seems like an awkward combination of two ideas.

Awesome job, Juggleguy! I always really enjoy reading these.

Small correction: Please write NamiNami's name without the space (in Smashers' Reunion: Melee Grande results).
Fixed.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Great read as always, Juggleguy.

Say what you will about how irresponsible it was to get such an expensive venue, but anyone who thinks he legitimately robbed anyone is an idiot. No one to my knowledge defends him in the sense that they're okay with what happened. Most people are just mature enough to accept that **** happens, especially when you have people running huge events.

I went to Pound 5 and it was by far the best tourney I've ever attended. Literally the only problem with it was the fact that he overestimated how many people would buy rooms. Obviously that's a pretty big goof, but I don't think that means all of the things that went right should be overlooked. If you think Plank couldn't run a Pound 6 successfully, then you're dead wrong. The only thing holding him back is the members of the community not willing to forgive a mistake made solely for the benefit of the community itself.

Armada

Smash Lord
Bones0: Yeah but being "mature" about the situation is ten times easier if you do not get punished for it like some people was (I know me/M2k was punished very hard and I guess this include more people too).

Expecting to BEAT the record for the biggest melee tournament of all time and expect people to not have more people in one room then what is "allowed" is not a very smart move.

I know that I wanted to forgive him at first but he never even tried to give us a real apology.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Say what you will about how irresponsible it was to get such an expensive venue, but anyone who thinks he legitimately robbed anyone is an idiot. No one to my knowledge defends him in the sense that they're okay with what happened. Most people are just mature enough to accept that **** happens, especially when you have people running huge events.

I went to Pound 5 and it was by far the best tourney I've ever attended. Literally the only problem with it was the fact that he overestimated how many people would buy rooms. Obviously that's a pretty big goof, but I don't think that means all of the things that went right should be overlooked. If you think Plank couldn't run a Pound 6 successfully, then you're dead wrong. The only thing holding him back is the members of the community not willing to forgive a mistake made solely for the benefit of the community itself.
Look dude, He was entrusted with $10,000 of smashers' money. I would have forgiven him for ****ing up the bracket in some major way, for disqualifying someone unjustly, for letting the tourney run super overtime. I will not forgive him for taking that money; that is the one thing you should not gamble with, should not put on the line, should not make mistakes with, because it's not yours. As far as I'm concerned, that was NOT his money to lose, and he should have repaid it personally. AFAIK, no one has seen a dime.

It's like making a bet with someone, giving your money in a sack to a third party, and then they trip and drop it into a river. Mother****er, no. Pay us back. It was not his. If he doesn't pay he stole that ****.

And as far as your surety that no foul play was involved--I mean, that's unimportant to me because he should NOT be allowed to run another tourney either way, but what makes you sure of that? His charming personality? The mother****er wouldn't even APOLOGIZE to Armada. That's so far below the least he could do. And it's always seemed weird to me how every dime of the money players gave him was needed to pay off the hotel (as far as I know, no one ever got any). ****, son, really? That exact amount? Did he go into his own pocket? It was never discussed.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
As far as I can tell, the major mistake he made was going with an expensive venue that charged on a sliding scale in the first place. It's irresponsible to expect a repeat turnout as big as the biggest in Smash history (Pound 4) and on top of that, it's extremely risky to project what the real-life decisions of Smashers will be (whether they attend, which hotel they stay at, and how many people per room they squeeze in). Plank is one of the greatest tourney-day TOs of all-time in my opinion, but he obviously ****ed up big time in planning out the financials for Pound 5. I didn't know until now that he never apologized personally to some top players like Armada and M2K, but that is disappointing for me to hear.

Armada

Smash Lord
Well Im not 100% sure if he did send some PM or something to M2k/someone but I doubt it.
He removed me as a friend on FB and never said a word to me again at least.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Nice thread, I really enjoyed it. I found the stats about 100+ man tournaments per year interesting. The pictures are nice too.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Wow its been a year since the last one of these. cant believe it. happy new year everyone.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I updated a Google Doc throughout the year to keep track of results and photos from some of the 25 Noteworthy Tournaments, and I also anticipated tourneys that could make the list. I wrote up the first parts of the summary during the summer before I forgot about the first half of the year, then I wrote up the rest last week.

Top Bottom