• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
I was wondering if you could tell me how to convert pcs files to dat files I feel this would be useful to put brawl characters into melee and previous hacks into melee as well. Please awnser me at Johnemory74@yahoo.com
hmm... another person interested in turning melee into brawl :3
currently it's not possible to write DAT files...
the format is long from figured out >_>

and it wouldn't quite work with a pac/pcs file...
if anything, you'd want a single brres containing both the model and the textures.
that would more likely convert to DAT ;)

Brbx won't let you do that, but it is possible, as I've seen it >_>
(I forget what game though... heh) >.>

Nek

Smash Rookie
Hey I'm new in all this of hacking texture and I made this Brawl-Ness Texture (I know someone else already made it) but I couldnt find the .DAT file =/
So, I decide it to make a new one :grin:

Well here is a capture, if someone wants the DAT file send me a PM :)

Mr H

Smash Ace
i have some questions about adding my own texture hacks for characters. i have them all made and in .tpl's im just really confused on how and where to inject them in the Pl****.dat's . could someone explain this to me @_@

crush

Smash Master
i know this isnt really the right thread, but does anybody know how to not get "the file youre trying to import is too large" error on GC-Rebuilder? I downloaded a regular ssbm ntsc iso from online because i wanted to make a tourney legal one and i can replace character and stage .dat files just fine but when i try to import songs it keeps saying "the file youre trying to import is too large". can anyone help me?

Rykard

Smash Ace
i know this isnt really the right thread, but does anybody know how to not get "the file youre trying to import is too large" error on GC-Rebuilder? I downloaded a regular ssbm ntsc iso from online because i wanted to make a tourney legal one and i can replace character and stage .dat files just fine but when i try to import songs it keeps saying "the file youre trying to import is too large". can anyone help me?
Hey crush, the reason why you are getting this error is most likely because the music files you are trying to replace were made using the 15 minute movie song to make looping easier. Since most tracks are about a minute in length (give or take 20 seconds) the file will most likely not be able to fit due to the one you are trying to replace being much larger. In order to bypass this, you need to extract the entire ISO into a folder using GC-Tool and then swap the files there rather than in a program. At the same time, since you are adding larger files, you might have to also replace some music in the game with small sound bytes such as the trophy sound effects in order to make room. On mine, i just did it with music for stages that aren't tournament legal. Then after it is all done, you need to go into GC rebuilder, save the ISO, and then rebuild it

crush

Smash Master
Hey crush, the reason why you are getting this error is most likely because the music files you are trying to replace were made using the 15 minute movie song to make looping easier. Since most tracks are about a minute in length (give or take 20 seconds) the file will most likely not be able to fit due to the one you are trying to replace being much larger. In order to bypass this, you need to extract the entire ISO into a folder using GC-Tool and then swap the files there rather than in a program. At the same time, since you are adding larger files, you might have to also replace some music in the game with small sound bytes such as the trophy sound effects in order to make room. On mine, i just did it with music for stages that aren't tournament legal. Then after it is all done, you need to go into GC rebuilder, save the ISO, and then rebuild it
okay thanks very much rykard this wont be too hard hopefully

edit: also, i know how to go into gc rebuilder and save the iso, but what do you mean about rebuilding it?

Rykard

Smash Ace
edit: also, i know how to go into gc rebuilder and save the iso, but what do you mean about rebuilding it?
after extract the ISO into a folder, it is no longer classified as that type of file, but the GC-rebuilder is still able to read it as if it is. When you rebuild the ISO, it will take the folder you extracted the ISO into and turn that into a new ISO for you to burn onto a DVD

crush

Smash Master
after extract the ISO into a folder, it is no longer classified as that type of file, but the GC-rebuilder is still able to read it as if it is. When you rebuild the ISO, it will take the folder you extracted the ISO into and turn that into a new ISO for you to burn onto a DVD
oh okay i get it thanks so much this helps a lot i wouldnt be able to play music without you rykard

Mr H

Smash Ace
Guide To Changing Shine Color

Step One: Finding the Shine
The data is located in the EfFxdata.dat at offset 1C2A0 in hex or 115360 in decimal format and begins with 98 00 2b 11.

you should see this

*Fox and Falco share this data file, any changes made will affect both Fox and Falco*

There are 2 parts of the shine and each part has its own value. What is outlined in Green and black are the values that needs to be changed in order to change the shine color.

Step Two: Changing the color
The color can be changed by editing the values in the black and green boxes as mentioned above. The values in the black [62 1F] change the outline of the shine and the values in the green[AB 9F] change the shine color (as seen in the picture below) . The color values of the shine are similar to fox and falco's lasers and use the same color code.
You can replace all values outlined in black (62 1F's) and green (AB 9F's) with some of the values below.

FC 00 = Red
FC 1F = Magenta
0F F0 = Green
00 10 = Black
FF FF = White
00 FF = Blue
0F 0F = Turquoise
99 F0 = Light Brown
B1 00 = Redish Orange
FC FF = Light Purple
5D 88 = Grey
BF 00 = Dim Yellow
C8 F5 = Dark Pink
D2 3B = Pink
BB B1 = Yellow
4C 22 = Maroon
A5 0F = Purple
0A 60 = Dark Green

Here is an example

Notice how i changed all the AB 9F's to the red color and all the 62 1F's to the magenta color

remember
*Fox and Falco share this data file, any changes made will affect both Fox and Falco*

Step 3: Shine Sparkles
*Optional

The Shine emits faint sparkles on its start up. These sparkles can also be changed using similar steps as above. The offset for these sparkles are 120 Hex or 288 Decimal and are outlined in black as seen in the picture below.

These sparkles follow rgb format making the sparkles much easier to make any color opposed to the format the shine itself uses in the above example.

To change the color simply replace 6 numbers in the black box with any color's RGB code. You can find out any color's RGB code by just googling for an RGB color calculator.
You can also change the faint outline of the sparkles by changing the second value in green to any RBG code.

Here is an example of what a the sparkles look like after being changed to red.

I did this by simply replacing the ff ff ff with ff 00 00 and leaving the code in the green box the same.

also im pretty sure there are more effects and what not you can change with the shines appearance, i've changed alot while messing around with it il add more info about other stuff later

Mr H

Smash Ace
i also will be posting a guide on how to change the color of the firefox
i just need some help with finding the offsets for textures on the fire on the up b because it is an _09 file ;_;

can you change it to any color???
ya im sure you can. just the code it uses isnt the standard rbg.
i am messing around with the colors now il edit my post and add more later

Unlucky XIII

Smash Cadet
Great find, Mr H! Pretty cool the kind of effects you can achieve with it.

Just to expand upon your original guide, I thought I'd outline which hex addresses point to which points in the shine colour as well:-

It's pretty messy, but I tried to make it as easy as possible to tell which of the letters associated to which point - letters in black point to white points, otherwise, letters point to points of their own colour.

(Sorry if you were making something like this yourself, just wanted to expand upon what you'd found.)

Can't wait to see what you can achieve with the Fire Fox!

Mr H

Smash Ace
ya i know how to change the actual firefox color and is alot easier to color but the part where they actully go up on the up b is a texture and finding where the actual placement of the texture is a big pain since its a 09 file. so its kind of pointless to change till i find the location or someone else does

(Sorry if you were making something like this yourself, just wanted to expand upon what you'd found.)
ya i already found this out when testing out colors lol i just thought it was obvious lololol but anyways its nice to see exactly where each value is since the shine is colored in sections of triangles for the most part

also me and lanceinthepants will be releasing offsets soon to change the colors of alot of other stuff we found out too

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Good work Mr H and Unlucky. I really like the rainbow shine!

I should note that the first 3 frames of the shine use a different area of the file. I found the area at one point while messing around, but I hadn't written down the address and I accidentally hit some random combination of buttons and ****ed up everything, returning the file to the state it was in when I first opened it (unmodified). ****ing stupid.

I'm too lazy to redo anything right now, but if anyone is up for it, try looking around the 0x1C8?? and 0x1C9?? offsets, I think it was somewhere around there. It had similar construction to the normal shine's area.

I suppose we could mess around in this file and edit this stupid red ****, right? Right? Right? :(

wow! could you possibly post a download link to the rainbow shine?
http://www.mediafire.com/?l0an00rtohn2cfz

Mr H

Smash Ace

Qual_

Smash Apprentice
Omg Nube, So you have discovered how to change the colors of lasers because of me? :bee:

Very cool thing.

Anyone got the plfx.dat with laser hacks ? :)

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
i looked for awhile for the red part's offset but i havnt found it yet, but il find it eventually
il try looking again later tonight

*edit*
im pretty sure its a texture? maybe not but this also happens on the up b which is a texture
idk im tired il find out for sure tomorrow @_@

alsoooo
this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2KEcuCpueY&feature=youtu.be&t=10s

i'll try to continue working on getting that fox laser burst thing solved, and the first 3 frames of the shine taken care of.

LOL @ that video. Gimme a ****ing link, rofl. too good.

Question: how do I convert RGB to the 4 digit format this game uses? Does the format have a name?

Is there any issues for using a DVD+RW over a different disc? One post mentioned not to use DVD-RW, but didn't mention why.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Im trying to install the cIOS and the launcher. But my net keeps dieing when I tried too. I also tried the tip of restarting the network but does not work. Whats going on?

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Is there any issues for using a DVD+RW over a different disc? One post mentioned not to use DVD-RW, but didn't mention why.
IIRC, those discs just don't read in the wii. Not sure why,but just don't use them. DVD-R always works, DVD+R sometimes works. I've never heard of an instance with DVD+RW or -RW working.

Im trying to install the cIOS and the launcher. But my net keeps dieing when I tried too. I also tried the tip of restarting the network but does not work. Whats going on?
Not sure if you mean "dieing" as in "Wii is not connecting to the internet" or as in "Wii disconnects from the internet midway through." Describe what is happening more. Homebrew applications often have trouble connecting through the internet when you're using an ethernet/usb converter or if your wifi has a password. I used to have that problem a lot and would have to take the password off my router for a short period of time just to install things.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
When I go to ether the MIOS patcher or cIOS38 on my SD card to install them, it says Initializing the network. But then freezes.

I have a router and my wii is hooked to it. The light that states my wii is online goes out every time I try to install it. But thinking about it now, I think my wii just freezes. Idk why.

Alright, I'll have to pick up some DVD-R, then lol

I have something that sounds similar to what D.pch said.

After the screen loads for the cIOS application, I am allowed to select which IOS to use which is IOS249. Yet after I press A, nothing happens. The wiimote no longer connects to wii and the screen never changes. The music doesn't even play anymore. It simply freezes at this selection screen.

Now when I try to load the MIOS patcher application off of homebrew, it turns black and completely freezes there.

However, I don't have it hooked up to the internet at all. Do these applications expect to get data off the internet to make the necessary changes?

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
When I go to ether the MIOS patcher or cIOS38 on my SD card to install them, it says Initializing the network. But then freezes.

I have a router and my wii is hooked to it. The light that states my wii is online goes out every time I try to install it. But thinking about it now, I think my wii just freezes. Idk why.
I believe you have to install the cIOS38 before MIOS patcher will work. Sounds like your wii isn't connecting to the internet properly. You could try doing a wad installation.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LO2WB40P

download that and put it in the root of your SD card, then load up the cIOS installer again and instead of choosing "Network Installation" choose "Wad Installation." This should work.

After the screen loads for the cIOS application, I am allowed to select which IOS to use which is IOS249. Yet after I press A, nothing happens. The wiimote no longer connects to wii and the screen never changes. The music doesn't even play anymore. It simply freezes at this selection screen.

Now when I try to load the MIOS patcher application off of homebrew, it turns black and completely freezes there.

However, I don't have it hooked up to the internet at all. Do these applications expect to get data off the internet to make the necessary changes?
I'm no expert, but i think it has something to do with your IOS249. That IOS does a ton of stuff in homebrew. You might need to install it (or re-install it).

http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios249

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
No good. I tried it and I got an error code, then wii went back to the hombrew.
Well, the last thing you could do is that you could try to manually install the IOS with wad manager. The only thing is, I'm not sure whether or cIOS installer program patches the IOS file before installing it or if the IOS file is already parched. You should still give it a try. Just use wad manager to install that file you downloaded.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Describe what happens when you turn MIOS on.
Nvm mind I fixed it. it seems it was my connection. I have a wired connection. So I decided to have my wii connected to my router viva wireless. And I was then able to install all the stuff. weird but w/e.

I got everything working. Though the back up launches wont read my DVD+R disk.

Top Bottom