• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Steelia

Smash Champion
Dumb question, but, has the Melee hacking community gotten as far as vertex hacks in Brawl? I messed up my Wii and I need something to do x_X. Im fine with just texturing too however.
Sadly, no. But we're getting pretty far with stages, moving stuff around, erasing elements... Nothing like exporting, buuut it still works pretty good. :)
*Texturing stuff can be found on page 4, if you're curious. :p

Still working on that HQ Project for the Maylay chars... I REALLY want to make Doc, but I don't know what to use for texture on his coat and pants. :\

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Sadly, no. But we're getting pretty far with stages, moving stuff around, erasing elements... Nothing like exporting, buuut it still works pretty good. :)
*Texturing stuff can be found on page 4, if you're curious. :p

Still working on that HQ Project for the Maylay chars... I REALLY want to make Doc, but I don't know what to use for texture on his coat and pants. :\
Welllll, I'm here rooting for all of you to surpass those brawlers haha. I'mma get busy with some textures. Now... The hard part... getting an idea...

Rykard

Smash Ace
Welllll, I'm here rooting for all of you to surpass those brawlers haha. I'mma get busy with some textures. Now... The hard part... getting an idea...
i suggest you start with textures for characters that are lacking a good texture that would be teams friendly. For example, there is no Red Link or young link costume that is actually red and things like that.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
i suggest you start with textures for characters that are lacking a good texture that would be teams friendly. For example, there is no Red Link or young link costume that is actually red and things like that.
It's not that I haven't done any texture work before. I did a whole bunch of Brawl ones. It just takes me an hour or so to come up with an idea... I typically draw concept sketches for these things x_x.

Steelia

Smash Champion
It's not that I haven't done any texture work before. I did a whole bunch of Brawl ones. It just takes me an hour or so to come up with an idea... I typically draw concept sketches for these things x_x.
Haha... I remember when I used to do that. Good times. :p

*BTW, with Melee textures, choose your color carefully -- you can only replace colors with their own colors (as in, you make a texture for Blue Mario, it will ONLY go on Blue Mario... unless you want to rehex all the stuff onto another Mario costume). Not as convenient as Brawl, alot of these elements. :C But you get used to it.

nuro

Smash Lord
Right. I'm going to try to make a tournament version of project melee. I need some textures that are team friendly. When making your textures try to make sure that it contrasts well with all of the legal stages.

I will try to make the background on all of the legal stages to be bright so that it contrasts well with the dark characters. Think regular Yoshi's or Dreamland.

Rykard

Smash Ace
to add to nuro, A bunch of friends noticed that a lot of blue costumes that are light blue and green costumes that are light green look really similar in color. I don't really see the problem but they got confused as to whose team they were on sometimes

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Right. I'm going to try to make a tournament version of project melee. I need some textures that are team friendly. When making your textures try to make sure that it contrasts well with all of the legal stages.

I will try to make the background on all of the legal stages to be bright so that it contrasts well with the dark characters. Think regular Yoshi's or Dreamland.

Tichinde
Really likes the number
5 and the number
8 so if you are my
Friend you will also like the number
6 and
I love
U

nuro

Smash Lord
Right anyway that hack isn't quite what I was looking for. Some characters like peach don't cut it for team colors and some of the stages like dream land contrast worse than they do on the normal ssbm

Thanks for it though because i can possibly use this to help me make my version of tourny procject ssbm

anyway i got a lot of work done on my iso and i'm waiting for a good time to upload it. I plan to revert some of the noises and stage textures back to the original ssbm to make it slightly more tourny legal.

btw anyone know of the super mario rpg hack to dreamland? i can only find the streats of rage hack..

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
Right anyway that hack isn't quite what I was looking for. Some characters like peach don't cut it for team colors and some of the stages like dream land contrast worse than they do on the normal ssbm

Thanks for it though because i can possibly use this to help me make my version of tourny procject ssbm

anyway i got a lot of work done on my iso and i'm waiting for a good time to upload it. I plan to revert some of the noises and stage textures back to the original ssbm to make it slightly more tourny legal.

btw anyone know of the super mario rpg hack to dreamland? i can only find the streats of rage hack..
want in Illusory Labyrinth\Stages

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I need to slice my melee ISO so it can be less than two giga bytes. Can I have help with that? Presuming I keep melee in the same settings all the time what files can I cut without freezing the game?

Timic83

Smash Ace
Moorabbin/Hampton East, Melbourne, Australia
hey guys

milun (creator of blockless mush kingdom) told me he wont release a rockless, boundaries fixed and barrel removed version of kongo jungle

yet he wont release it because apparently the current version is "more fun"

can u guys convinve him to release it, it would be very fun and balanced

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
@Dragoon Fighter; imposible, the iso can't be more biggest than 1,35 Gb

@Timic83; i will quit the rock only, milun now working in other project with me, only give our time

smakis

Smash Ace
all files work, just rename them

in some cases the ntsc files contains a bit more hex (pal was slightly improved, less loading times etc, so it makes sense), in which case you need to delete all hex in the ntsc file after the last hex in the pal file

ex: when I tried adding the dbz go file, opened up both the dbz go file and the pal original, checked where the pal ended, went to that offset in the ntsc dbz go file, deleted everything after that specific offset.

The above is the only time I had to do that though

Milun

Smash Ace
@Timic83 Dangit Newman quit your trolling. I'm a busy guy, and I already have several hacks scheduled for release (around tomorrow). Where I stand on the appeal of tournament play is nobodies business.

smakis

Smash Ace
when I made my pal iso base I copied all sound and video files from sleepyk's disc and put it on a pal iso. It's rather easy, find all music clips/video files not used by vs mode (like the htp video, you can probably remove the intro video aswell) and replace them with a small version of the same file (like replacing all songs on the iso with the 75kb soundfile).

Steelia

Smash Champion
It's just... a duel to the death on the tiny spin-block platform?
THAT, would be hilarious. FD can't touch that. :chuckle:

Seriously though, Really nice work there with the stages. Haven't felt so excited in hacks like that for a good long while, I'd forgotten the possibilities. (And of course really appreciate the request undertaking; that was a pleasant surprise.) :)

Milun

Smash Ace
...oh come on now, it's two lines of hex.

Anyway, I've got another three stages nearing completion, as well as two in the works, so I'll keep you posted. In the meantime,

Freedom!

nube

Smash Apprentice
Oh my goodness Milun, you are a genious. I've been super busy with school, but there has been progress on my side of hacking too (changing attack colours). I'll post some pics in a bit.

Top Bottom