• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ That... actually looks pretty cool. XD

What texture editing program are you using, Photoshop, GIMP, etc.?

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
Photoshop. I can save 32bits/pixel, only with this program.. (for 30 days...)

I think it's a layers problem or something... (Never use photoshop before ^^)
Or with hex editor...

Steelia

Smash Champion

Voila.

You must be missing a step somewhere . . . Just using the picture you supplied, I was able to get it down.
COULD be the hex editor you're using, but we'll get to that.

I'll just cover the steps that might have caused problems:

When you edited the texture in Photoshop...

~When you replaced Falco's CSP (I'll assume the Red one), did you Index it correctly? (256 colors; sometimes the colors go down automatically once you Index it, which is OK.)

~Once you Indexed it, did you Save it correctly?
~When you Saved it, did you overwrite the original red Falco tex#00_09+2.tga file?
~When you closed out Photoshop and you overwrote the original .tga file, did you ignore the "Save changes?" box and press "No"? (If you go in and edit the CSP later, making it Indexed after editing, you do not need to go through this process.)

Now I suppose the other question left is, What Hex Editor are you using?

~~~So you can see it for yourself, HERE ARE THE FILES I used when I did the process. Look through 'em, see what you MIGHT have missed, check to see in the MnSlChr.usd file how it might be pasted, and all that goodness. :)

*AH. Something I MIGHT have missed; whenever you are first INDEXING the file in Photoshop, your options need to look like this:

Image -> Mode -> Indexed Color...

[[INDEXED COLOR]] *box*
Palette: [This can either be] EXACT [or] Local (Perceptual)
Colors: [In the case of CSPs, this can be] 256 [colors, or below]
Forced: None
[ ] Transparency (do NOT check)

[[OPTIONS]]
Matte: None
Dither: None
Amount: ___ % (nothing)
[ ] Preserve Exact Colors (do NOT check)

...Piece o' cake.

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
Oh my.....
I'm sorry, I don't understand most of your questions... Yesterday was the first time I use Photoshop...

I don't know why, but I can't manage to save my .tga file with 32bits/pixel after making the "magenta background trick". Photoshop doesn't ask me...

Sorry, again..

`DNS`

Smash Lord
Oh my.....
I'm sorry, I don't understand most of your questions... Yesterday was the first time I use Photoshop...

I don't know why, but I can't manage to save my .tga file with 32bits/pixel after making the "magenta background trick". Photoshop doesn't ask me...

Sorry, again..
well he asked what hex editor you used (hex workshop, hex editor NEO, or what?)

Did you index it as 256 colors?
Did you save it as a .TGA file in the correct location? It should be named the same as the original file you opened to edit.. you PROBABLY did this right, because you managed to change the CSP.. if you didn't, it would change at all.
Did you click "No" when closing Photoshop?

Steelia

Smash Champion
So long as all the "fc 1f" are ABOVE offset 0x260, then you're fine. (As in, where the palette hex is located.)
If it happens to be in the texture hex itself... just coincidence; ignore it there.

Milun

Smash Ace
I have no idea if you were able to get the thing working at all, though. I downloaded your Blender, but it keeps being a b**** and won't let me import it. Same with 3ds Max, not finding texture maps or something rather.
Well, with Blender, when importing the error I got was: "Python Error, check console". If your getting stuff on textures, then you need to disable that option, as there are no textures.

The only reason I'm so interested in this whole edge business, is because it will allow for easier model editing, and more detailed methods of texture hacking (for instance, you can't make Mewtwo or Jigglypuff have scales, because their skin is just a small, one colour square. With this, the locations each texture presides over can be altered, that is assuming I can figure out the whole UV map business).

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
Special texture for my friend Stoneheige (he plays C.Falcon) :

Do you know how to modifiy the grey belt buckle please ? I downloaded the PlCaRe pack here, but didn't find the buckle. ^^

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ That, would be...
Folder number two, "02ShoulderSilver" (improperly named, my bad).

However, the belt buckle's texture is a Ref file, meaning it's a reflective file. It's not like a texture that you can swap out and see as plainly as the logo on Falcon's back... it reflects, kind of like the Metal textures. Just something I thought I'd note.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Token...?
You mean, like the one seen here?

If so, I think I may have the texture hidden away somewhere... If not, it's an easy rip. Though, I can't remember whether they had any color to them or not.
Yeah, the Melee one. In Melee, they have a light shade of red/blue/yellow/green corresponding to your controller slot too, as well as the P1/P2/P3/P4.

I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to textures hacking (I actually need this token image for another project), so is there anyone here who'd know where to find it ?

`DNS`

Smash Lord
well i've come to the conclusion that either GIMP doesn't index the file properly or the placements.txt is wrong :<

for the sandbag

ALSO you're supposed to copy from 20 to 210 (219, actually, the end of the line)?
i was just thinking about it.. and i thought it was after the first 4 lines?

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
So is anyone going to make a new more recent iso?

I'd give my friend the one I have but it was from forever ago and there is such cooler stuff now. D:

`DNS`

Smash Lord

got it to work.. i guess that GIMP indexes it differently, because I took the same image that was edited in GIMP and indexed it in photoshop and it worked

Steelia

Smash Champion
So is anyone going to make a new more recent iso?

I'd give my friend the one I have but it was from forever ago and there is such cooler stuff now. D:
All you need to do is update your ISO, if you still have it on your computer. (If you don't, you need IMGBurn to rip it from the DVD.)

Then get a little program called GC-Tool, open your ISO with it, go over to Stack Smash's STUFFZ section and get some of the stuff I've been releasing (or browse through this topic for one or two things people have been releasing themselves), and replace the appropriate files in the ISO.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
lol i suck at this
i tried making a CSP for the 'dark fox'
this was the result:

original:

It looks like i somehow put the transparency on the wrong area, somehow..
Everything else I tried just came out as a black image so I moved the hex data a bit off course and it at least gave me the outline.. i just ran it again and it's transparent.. not orange like it looks in the picture, idk why..

also i made my evil sandbag: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9JE1UBXW

click the image for download^

`DNS`

Smash Lord
I still have the same problem with the CSP...
lool yeah i guess it only happens to COOL PEOPLE

Anyway, in a few of the texture packs the TCS files are a bit wrong.. it has the full directory like C:\Users\Joshua\Desktop\SsLa-DarkS\
This obviously isn't going to be the same location for everyone (I'm guessing that's S.'s place where the TGA files are stored..) so I made a batch file to fix it.. and it actually worked!

For some reason MegaUpload was being gay so download it at http://www.mediafire.com/?z0zy5zzizik

Readme included

EDIT: I made a PHAZON SUIT SAMUS from MP1!
It needs a bit of touching up, but:

I was basing it on this:

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
Wow dude, GOOD ****!

The first pic was alright then you like made it amazing on the next one.

Looks like you're going to be making some sexy **** =D

Sanu

Smash Champion
That looks ****ing sexy!!! I want the updated version :3

Steelia

Smash Champion
...Ho!
Lovin' it, Milun, lovin' it. XD

(You mind if I use the shades for another texture of mine? Just to see how it may work out. I would definitely give credit to you for creating them, naturally.)

S l o X

Smash Champion
D: why is using texture hack and burning to iso sooo complicated D:
precompiled iso > all

im ********.

keep up the work broskis.

Milun

Smash Ace
(You mind if I use the shades for another texture of mine? Just to see how it may work out. I would definitely give credit to you for creating them, naturally.)
Sure go ahead; the reason they have that weird colouring is due to the fact that they were my first _9 hack, and I thought that I had to stick to the colours that were provided in the .tga.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
D: why is using texture hack and burning to iso sooo complicated D:
precompiled iso > all

im ********.

keep up the work broskis.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5EOYCIKT
ISO with a lot more of the textures added..
it includes the few i made; evil sandbag, phazn suit samus, dr mario with "evil" eyes, pink jacket falco... also dr mario has some red on his jacket that i didn't fix.. was trying something and forgot to get rid of it
edit: LOL file size too big you need to be a premium member to dl it

Steelia

Smash Champion
All right... I've been thinking of making a texture hacking video or two, mostly in regards on how to mess around with +1 and +2 textures (the _8 and _9 ones). Probably be of rather crappy quality, though.

Just for some input, who or what should I use for examples in the video? Just so I know where to start. :)

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
I think CSPs need more explanations too...
Thank you so much Steelia !

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
I'd like the video of hacking things.
Maybe it doesn't have to just stick to one thing and it can go from texture hacking, possible stage hacking, and CSP =D

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
Hum... How can I modifiy Peach's turnips ?!
They aren't in PlPeXX.dat, I imagine that they are in an other file.
Do you know please ?!

Steelia

Smash Champion
@Zyx: I believe Peach's turnips would be located in PlPe.dat, not any of her color files (i.e. any of the Peach files ending with Wh, Nr, Ye, etc.). ;)

On a side note... finally got the CSP video tutorial up!
Hope this helps out some people, and answers one or two questions regarding it. I've always been more of a visual learner myself... :chuckle:
*Note that I uploaded it at around... 09:12am EST, so the video MAY still be processing. Give it a good 10 minutes, half-an-hour tops, then see if it looks a bit more cleaned up.

Top Bottom