• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Judging by the response, they're still mostly irked about Smash's competitive ruleset (ie: no items, some stage bans). Seems silly to me to complain when it's clearly a more engaging competitive game without random drops and whatnot, but it's probably not worth pressing the issue.

Someone brought up their trouble with the gems in SFxT as a counterpoint.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yaaay Smash<3
I'm a Brawler but it's awesome to see this kind of exposure of any of the three smash games.
i think this just furthers shows how awesome the SMASH community is
I'm sure people from other Smash games donated. I know I did.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Speaking of brawl, if we're seriously going to use this one unit thing seriously I think it's time to stop taking shots at the brawl community.

I get it if the game let you down, if you're mad it hurt the scene when it came out or got melee dropped from MLg and Evo, but stop the **** against the people. It's the same **** FGC spouts about us, a vocal minority with an obvious bias but its still enraging.

Smash one unit

:phone:

Laijin

Smash Hero
Nothing against the brawl players themselves, but I still don't like their game personally for many many reasons and it takes too long to run at tournaments. Those are my only two beefs with the game. I think many melee players share the same opinion as me, but I got nothing wrong against the players themselves and I still respect their decision to play what they enjoy competitively.

-Smooth Criminal

BrandX

Smash Ace
God i hate srk so much...doing my best to get skullgirls its own website XD

Tired of the constant crashes

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Speaking of brawl, if we're seriously going to use this one unit thing seriously I think it's time to stop taking shots at the brawl community.
Speaking of repairing that image, this would be a great place to start. This was in no way, shape, or form about disliking Brawl, it was about celebrating Melee, coming together as a community, and fighting breast cancer. I find it very sad and counter productive that Rawmeat Coboy took it there.

zmx

Smash Lord
srk is down for me. I want to see the saltttt
Same here.

I'm mainly a Brawl player that has recently gotten into Melee and I have to say the guy above me is spot on. You have to remember that the ENTIRE Smash community helped out, not just Melee. That's why Brawl has almost zero donations.

Brawl does take too long to finish at tournaments for a lot of reasons but a lot of these issues can be fixed. One of the reasons is 3 stocks, I firmly believe 2 stocks is ideal for the game. Another is just people taking far too long to stage select, CP and other things that waste time inbetween matches. If you watched Apex 2013 you'd realize this a lot. The down time in between matches was often way too high.

coolusername

Smash Rookie
why is SRK down???? The salt is hilarious!

On a more serious note, I have to give it up to the FGC as a whole, and the Melee community in particular. I let out an audible "what the ****" when I saw we raised 94 grand. Now I gotta work on my tech skill so I can combo like SilentSpectre at EVO. haha

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Brand x, friends of mine posted pics of squiggly ( or somethjng) on Facebook so I made a joke about melee and sg and they thought melee was a person I played sg with and challenged me. Lol I'm in the process of explaining what went down last night and I might go over and try to get them into competitive scene for both. Gotta learn how to play first.

Gunna buy a fight stick and sg after next pay cheque and cc bill is paid.

zmx

Smash Lord
I hope SRK is back up soon. I also want to see the salt.

ATT: Krisp

You don't necessarily need a fightstick to play traditional fighters fyi. Pad players have won major tournaments before.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I let out an audible "what the ****"
What the sh*t? :troll: whoever thought 60k was our max amount, im afraid you were sadly mistaken. Can't wait for miom on Wednesday, on that note time to quit smash until midterms are done. Haven't done a single thing for any class, mostly skipped to play melee lololol

Does pad mean play station controller? I feel like that thing would be balls to play with but if it saves me money ill try it.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Same here.

I'm mainly a Brawl player that has recently gotten into Melee and I have to say the guy above me is spot on. You have to remember that the ENTIRE Smash community helped out, not just Melee. That's why Brawl has almost zero donations.

Brawl does take too long to finish at tournaments for a lot of reasons but a lot of these issues can be fixed. One of the reasons is 3 stocks, I firmly believe 2 stocks is ideal for the game. Another is just people taking far too long to stage select, CP and other things that waste time inbetween matches. If you watched Apex 2013 you'd realize this a lot. The down time in between matches was often way too high.
I want to point out I attended and actually did enter a brawl tournament a couple of weeks ago ran by TheTantalus. He incorporated the lower time limit and the two stocks to see how a tournament can be ran with the new ruleset. Overall, everyone hated it. There wasn't a single person in the room who enjoyed it. It was described as "anti-hype" for the most part.

Gea

Smash Master
What the sh*t? :troll: whoever thought 60k was our max amount, im afraid you were sadly mistaken. Can't wait for miom on Wednesday, on that note time to quit smash until midterms are done. Haven't done a single thing for any class, mostly skipped to play melee lololol

Does pad mean play station controller? I feel like that thing would be balls to play with but if it saves me money ill try it.

It means a controller, but you'd probably still need to purchase a wired one. I think a stick is a great investment if you are willing to do the research and put down the money.

Exeggutorr

Smash Cadet
Speaking of repairing that image, this would be a great place to start. This was in no way, shape, or form about disliking Brawl, it was about celebrating Melee, coming together as a community, and fighting breast cancer. I find it very sad and counter productive that Rawmeat Coboy took it there.
I think you are gooooooing waaaaaaay to far here. He didn't say anything negative about Brawl.

"I'm just sad to see that people dislike Brawl so much."

What he is saying is that he is sad that not many people donated to Brawl.

I saw your post on the website and you really took him out of context DUDE.

JacopeX

Smash Apprentice
I saw the salt before it went down.

Don't feed the trolls. These guys are just sore losers. caliing smash a kids game, etc. (**** you have already heard).

zmx

Smash Lord
Yes, it just means regular controllers.

Well from my experience it depends on the character in a lot of fighting games tbh. Some characters are said to be easier to do harder links with, with a fightstick, others work better on a pad.

For example in Street Fighter 4:AE, Zangief is said to be better with a pad (controller) while others like Chun have links that are said to be better with a fightstick.

I don't know much about Skullgirls but I'm guessing a pad would work fine. You might want to do research to see if it supports PS2 controllers (if you have one lying around) because you can buy a 4 dollar USB converter to make it work for your PS3. But again I'm not sure if PS2 controllers are compatible with Skullgirls so I advise you just do a lot of research before buying anything. That's just if you want a wired controller.

If you do go with a fightstick, good ones are said to be around 150$.

Exeggutorr

Smash Cadet
I saw the salt before it went down.

Don't feed the trolls. These guys are just sore losers. caliing smash a kids game, etc. (**** you have already heard).
It's funny because couldn't we say the same for theirs? Like when SF first came out I find it unlikely that it was targeted mainly to adults.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Your missing the point Exeggutor. He's sad no one cares for brawl without realizing brawl helped us. We're trying to be one unit and the first piece of news that comes out of this is a claim were more split than ever.

As for stocks changes, I want to try 3 stocks five minutes for melee, I think 2 stocks for brawl is okay since people you know...don't air dodge offstage doing flashy **** and look like an ****** lol. It's too bad, I'd say simply lowering the time limit to make time outs feasible would work but platform fighter means stalling is easier than throwing hadoukens for till timeout

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Well I got banned for bringing the above to their attention.

Looks like GoNintendo is going to be another salty outlet, just from the Nintendo side of things.

Exeggutorr

Smash Cadet
Your missing the point though. He's sad no one cares for brawl without realizing brawl helped us. We're trying to be one unit and the first piece of news that comes out of this is a claim were more split than ever.

Well I bet he didn't exactly know the extent that Brawl helped us. To me it just seems like a friendly "Where you at?" to the brawl community. I don't see anywhere that would make me think that he is saying we are more split than ever.

zmx

Smash Lord
He obviously didn't realize the reason Brawl's donation amount is so low is because anyone in the Brawl section that donated would have done so for Melee realizing the only way Smash was going to win was through unity and one game.

Edit:

Speaking of fightsticks....what would Smash be like with them? Just a thought that occured.

And you know, it's actually possible with the Wii U.

Exeggutorr

Smash Cadet
Well I got banned for bringing the above to their attention.

Looks like GoNintendo is going to be another salty outlet, just from the Nintendo side of things.
Well you kinda went in there guns a'blazing, but you shouldn't of gotten banned. lol

And wasn't the reason brawl wasn't making a push because they already know they're going to have their small side tourney regardless?

zmx

Smash Lord
Never said he did.

I'm just a little baffled after Smash raised 90k, his side comment would focus on the negative.
Again because he doesn't realize that Smash raised that 90K. He thinks it was just Melee and Brawlers/64ers/casual Smash fans didn't do anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom