• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
And SRK is giving me an error message saying "New registrations are currently not being accepted."
No i editted cause grammar ticks me off and I want to change some things...added that in and some other stuff before i saw you posted copy pasta'd it here.

They didn't seem to happy with my post, I ended up being the person giving smash community lessons which is what I told people not to do but whatever, maybe someone will enjoy hearing about the relationship with Nintendo/MLG/hardware issues.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Has anyone else noticed the double-standard we're living under with the FGC? Not that all people a part of the FGC are doing this to us, but it's there.

First, it's tough to be accepted because Smash isn't considered a fighting game due to how different it is.
Then, when we are accepted, we're recommended/told to keep items, all stages, whatever in order to embrace our difference.

Like I said, it's not with all people, just an observation.

I wonder what reasoning there is to keeping items and all stages - besides that it's more 'fun' or 'entertaining to watch'?
The FGC plays games that are typically designed to be played out of the box - even competitively. To anyone unfamiliar with Smash's mechanics, the idea of banning, at this point, 3/4's of the stage list and completely eliminating items seems both foreign and eerily similar to their community's scrub cry of "ban X because it's too cheap!"

Not that they don't sometimes actually know of our game's workings and have good reason for their opinions or anything, but a lot of the time it's ignorance, not malice, that drives those ideas. So don't take it the wrong way.

Revven

FrankerZ
Then, when we are accepted, we're recommended/told to keep items, all stages, whatever in order to embrace our difference.

Like I said, it's not with all people, just an observation.

I wonder what reasoning there is to keeping items and all stages - besides that it's more 'fun' or 'entertaining to watch'?
I don't think I've seen that recommendation for Melee at all. For Brawl? Yeah, I've seen that around some. And that's partially because Brawl wasn't given as long of a chance to have items on in tournaments as Melee did. Melee had items on for awhile before they were banned. I'm pretty sure most people understand why they're off in Melee.

And like aisight said, most people's mentality is to play the game as it is out of the box. The "developer's intended" way basically.

There's obviously going to be a group of people who have missed the memo for Melee in regards to items and a lot of those people are going to be players who don't even compete in tournaments anyway for their own games.

In fact, a lot of the "hate" you see for Smash are from people who aren't notable at all in the FGC. At least, as far as I know.

dkuo

Smash Lord
this is a little off topic but i hope the results don't cause a rift between smash and sg. both games and communities are legit as hell and it'd be a shame if there was bitterness from either side regardless of results. this is a charity event after all.

i hope we do our best to minimize antagonism from our side whenever possible.

and krisp. sick post :)

rhiaggo

Smash Rookie
Well if that's the reason then really they should stay off. Only people who plays or watches sg and enjoys watching it should only donate to sg, Melee players and viewers on streams that likes the game should only donate to Melee. If ponies donate only because of hate they're getting from another community or because they're indie shouldn't be the reason to donate.

:phone:
I posit that bronies are supporting Skullgirls because if they help SG become an official game at Evo, Mike Z the main programmer of Skullgirls will be more likely to allow the Mane6 team to use his SG engine to develop My Little Pony.

There is nothing evil or unethical with this "alliance". You help me, I return the favor, this is common in business everywhere.

Mane6 has expressed interest in using the SG engine, because the current engine used for MLP has too many limitations.

Even if Mike Z allows them to use the SG engine, Mike Z himself might need to spend a lot of his own time to teach Mane6 about the intricacies of his SG engine. If Bronies help SG get into Evo main lineup, then Mike Z would be indebted to them and will spend a lot of time and give free license to SG engine.

So what do Bronies have to gain from helping SkullGirls get into Evo? They help the Mane6 team get ahold of the excellent SG fighting game engine, and get a better MLP game in the long run.

Anyway, it's the bronies that are the main threat to Melee. The core SG community is so tiny that they can't hope to compete with melee. SG does not even have tournaments at FGC majors since the playerbase is so tiny

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
I posit that bronies are supporting Skullgirls because if they help SG become an official game at Evo, Mike Z the main programmer of Skullgirls will be more likely to allow the Mane6 team to use his SG engine to develop My Little Pony.

There is nothing evil or unethical with this "alliance". You help me, I return the favor, this is common in business everywhere.

Mane6 has expressed interest in using the SG engine, because the current engine used for MLP has too many limitations.

Even if Mike Z allows them to use the SG engine, Mike Z himself might need to spend a lot of his own time to teach Mane6 about the intricacies of his SG engine. If Bronies help SG get into Evo main lineup, then Mike Z would be indebted to them and will spend a lot of time and give free license to SG engine.

So what do Bronies have to gain from helping SkullGirls get into Evo? They help the Mane6 team get ahold of the excellent SG fighting game engine, and get a better MLP game in the long run.

Anyway, it's the bronies that are the main threat to Melee. The core SG community is so tiny that they can't hope to compete with melee. SG does not even have tournaments at FGC majors since the playerbase is so tiny
awesome first post. definitely sheds some light on how skullgirls is getting hella donations. also, guys? no more long posts about who is more oppressed or has the hardest circumstances to deal with. both games deserve it, but we have to earn the spot by donating.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Didn't Brawl at EVO have items on and whatever else was done to make it as much of a party game as possible?

Why would Melee not get the same treatment?

Blubby

Smash Apprentice
Can somebody tell me how to donate with paypal? im not sure this will work out with my european bank account and i dont really want to try it out, wouldnt even mind if some1 (trustworthy) would donate with my money

Shikenshu

Smash Cadet
I don't think so, the SG community sure is small, but they can pay good money, Melee players are a bunch of poor people and the whole paranoia didn't help.

Didn't Brawl at EVO have items on and whatever else was done to make it as much of a party game as possible?

Mr Wizard said himself he would us keep our rules

Revven

FrankerZ
Because it didn't at Evo 2007 and subsequently wouldn't at Evo 2013...

Can somebody tell me how to donate with paypal? im not sure this will work out with my european bank account and i dont really want to try it out, wouldnt even mind if some1 (trustworthy) would donate with my money
PM Redact, he said he would help ANYONE to donate via Paypal. He's as trustworthy as can be.

ZelDan

Smash Master

I think it is because, at the time, Brawl was still new and just released and was not explored. I guess the FGC thought that we needed to test items in Brawl's first tournameent to see if they would be acceptable for any potential future tournaments for Brawl (which never happened due to the smash/brawl community not liking items in competitive play).

Maybe I'm off or wrong though.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
They don't they ban akuma in st? same thing as banning items.

:phone:
Akuma isn't even visible on ST's character select.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/583631-super-street-fighter-ii-turbo/cheats
Play as Akuma

Highlight Ryu and hold for 3 seconds then,
Highlight T.Hawk and hold for 3 seconds then,
Highlight Guile and hold for 3 seconds then,
Highlight Cammy and hold for 3 seconds Finally
Highlight Ryu again and hold for 3 seconds then
Press all 3 punches and Start at the same time at the end of you counting.
If anything, banning Akuma is more comparable to banning Master Hand.

rhiaggo

Smash Rookie
I don't think so, the SG community sure is small, but they can pay good money, Melee players are a bunch of poor people and the whole paranoia didn't help.
Skullgirls have NO tournaments at ANY majors. They can't even get 10 people to play at SoCal Regionals, even though Mike Z himself said he would be at SoCal Regionals if there was a tourney.

SG community is so small and near non-existent at offline events that the only logical explanation is that the donation surge comes from bronies. Note that the surge came only AFTER Evo changed their rules and made it so MLP could no longer win the official 8th spot, and that Mane6 has expressed explicit interest in the SkullGirls engine.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
PM Redact, he said he would help ANYONE to donate via Paypal. He's as trustworthy as can be.
Definitely trustworthy. lol what's he gunna do? Take people's money and donate it to smash? :troll:

and @ above no, just no. The surge came after they saw they were close to winning, as did our surge. There's no mention of bronies donating between their communities. Besides, have you been to SG tournies? If not I'm not entirely sure internet facts are the best facts to go on.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Armada/PP/Mew2King all won a ton of money this past weekend. Can't those three alone can throw in a good amount of money Melee's way. Like seriously, they would just be investing to have a chance to win more money.

MasterHavik

Smash Cadet
The FGC plays games that are typically designed to be played out of the box - even competitively. To anyone unfamiliar with Smash's mechanics, the idea of banning, at this point, 3/4's of the stage list and completely eliminating items seems both foreign and eerily similar to their community's scrub cry of "ban X because it's too cheap!"

Not that they don't sometimes actually know of our game's workings and have good reason for their opinions or anything, but a lot of the time it's ignorance, not malice, that drives those ideas. So don't take it the wrong way.
Not always true dude. In DOA 5 they wanted to ban stages with water/ice on them because some character have really **** up combos on those stages. There is also one stage that is really glitchy. also in SF and Marvel most games are played on the training because of the less frames drop on them. So they shouldn't telling us what to do if they water their game down like how smash does it.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Man, didn't mean for the conversation to go this way.

Check the OP if you're scared of items at EVO.

Also, try not bash on the entirety of the FGC. If there is any forcing on our rules, it's by a very, ignorant few.

And this:

:034:

Smash Hero

I don't wanna be too abrasive, but, if you really believe this then you are literally ********. Even if Mike Z would, for whatever reason, give up his engine to the MLP:FiM team (which, by the way, you haven't exactly delivered any proof of, nor can I find any news on it), there's no way the MLP:FiM would give up literally a year and a half of progress in their own engine, especially not when the game is so close to being finished. The last demo we saw of the game had five characters out of an initial six being playable. This was around September 2012.

There's no way the developers (or, for that matter, any developer) would completely restart their project to rework it in a different engine after more than 18 months to development. It's just not happening, and you're honestly kidding yourself if you really believe this.

Also, Mane6 has expressed a multitude of times that even though their engine is unruly to work with, they've done a lot of work to improve on it and they feel like "wizards" with it now. They're completely comfortable with their choice of engine, so it'd seem asinine to simply trade it in for a "better" engine.

I'd also like to say again that Mane6 gave shout-outs to both Melee and Skullgirls on their site, saying "vote for these two instead, vote for what you really wanna see at EVO". I've done my own research and found absolutely zero evidence of MLP fans suddenly voting for Skullgirls because they were asked to. If you think "bronies are the main threat to Melee", you're honestly being delusional as there's absolutely no evidence whatsoever to prove this theory right.

Rather, the main threat to Melee is the fact that, apparently, fighting game fans would rather donate to Skullgirls. I certainly don't think it's the right choice, and you'd think after Apex the FGC would be more open to Melee being featured at EVO again, but apparently not. So it's up to this community to put their heads up and make **** happen, rather than blaming others without evidence.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
^you're compeltely right in the first half, but the FGC is kind of split between the two of us. Surely now that SG has pulled through more have sided with them but many have already donated to us before FiM was taken out...and their money is ours now :p

good **** whatwhatwhatwhatwhatw...what I mostly just started watching those ledgetechs and going oohhhh grab ledge :p

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I don't wanna be too abrasive, but, if you really believe this then you are literally ********. Even if Mike Z would, for whatever reason, give up his engine to the MLP:FiM team (which, by the way, you haven't exactly delivered any proof of, nor can I find any news on it), there's no way the MLP:FiM would give up literally a year and a half of progress in their own engine, especially not when the game is so close to being finished. The last demo we saw of the game had five characters out of an initial six being playable. This was around September 2012.

There's no way the developers (or, for that matter, any developer) would completely restart their project to rework it in a different engine after more than 18 months to development. It's just not happening, and you're honestly kidding yourself if you really believe this.

Also, Mane6 has expressed a multitude of times that even though their engine is unruly to work with, they've done a lot of work to improve on it and they feel like "wizards" with it now. They're completely comfortable with their choice of engine, so it'd seem asinine to simply trade it in for a "better" engine.

I'd also like to say again that Mane6 gave shout-outs to both Melee and Skullgirls on their site, saying "vote for these two instead, vote for what you really wanna see at EVO". I've done my own research and found absolutely zero evidence of MLP fans suddenly voting for Skullgirls because they were asked to. If you think "bronies are the main threat to Melee", you're honestly being delusional as there's absolutely no evidence whatsoever to prove this theory right.

Rather, the main threat to Melee is the fact that, apparently, fighting game fans would rather donate to Skullgirls. I certainly don't think it's the right choice, and you'd think after Apex the FGC would be more open to Melee being featured at EVO again, but apparently not. So it's up to this community to put their heads up and make **** happen, rather than blaming others without evidence.

rhiaggo

Smash Rookie

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you very much for calling me a ****** instead of, you know, ask for proof if that was what you wanted. Good thing not everyone is this community is like you.

Shikenshu

Smash Cadet
Skullgirls have NO tournaments at ANY majors. They can't even get 10 people to play at SoCal Regionals, even though Mike Z himself said he would be at SoCal Regionals if there was a tourney.

SG community is so small and near non-existent at offline events that the only logical explanation is that the donation surge comes from bronies. Note that the surge came only AFTER Evo changed their rules and made it so MLP could no longer win the official 8th spot, and that Mane6 has expressed explicit interest in the SkullGirls engine.
On srk:

I might make a $1000 donation to Skullgirls, but I'm wary of making a donation and then having no one at EVO to actually play the game. Does anyone know any Chicago players so I can help organize a midwest community that will come play at EVO?
Last time I heard something like this, DoA jumped from 600$ to 1200$, we cant hope they will stop, we have to mass donate

noobird

Smash Journeyman
will definitely be sacrificing my late night college food fund this month for this, i.e. 50$ or something. i won't even be able to go to evo if it happens but melee needs to be there

Smash Hero

Thank you very much for calling me a ****** instead of, you know, ask for proof if that was what you wanted. Good thing not everyone is this community is like you.
Oh god, you actually think they were being serious. If you can't see they were joking around, then... well, that's hilarious bro.

rhiaggo

Smash Rookie
Oh god, you actually think they were being serious. If you can't see they were joking around, then... well, that's hilarious bro.

Mike Zaimont's offer seems sincere to me, and that is also what others in that discussion thought.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Sincere to ask if he was serious. Also, they'd have to tell fans between communities to vote, not make a deal through PM in secret. And who cares anyways? honestly...back to put up or shut up.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
instead of fighting each other for silly thing we could do something useful, like spreading the word. Currently SG keeps raising (Its at $3500) and melee is stuck at $2900.

Smash Hero
Mike Zaimont's offer seems sincere to me, and that is also what others in that discussion thought.
Alright, let's follow your train of thought and say this is a sincere offer. So, now you can show me the part where bronies are asked to put Skullgirls in second place for this to happen. Now, show me the part where Mane6 accepted this offer. The offer was made, but it still doesn't support the claims you made about bronies having to put Skullgirls in second place for it to happen, and that's even assuming Mane6 took the offer in the first place. But don't worry! I'm sure a bright, smart man like yourself can dig yourself out of the "I only have screencaps of jokes as circumstancial evidence" hole! :^) :D

Almost forgot you there, little fella.

dkuo

Smash Lord
^ come on dude don't be a belittling prick about this -.-

i do agree though. its pretty clear that mike z is open to helping the mlpfim devs but i doubt they'll need sg's engine. if anything it's definitely not a prominent reason for the increase in donations to sg.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Donated 100 for you guys. I don't play competitive Smash anymore and haven't for about 2 years. The chances of me entering a Melee tourney again are slim to none. I just want to see the greatest game ever made be a part of Evo. I just pushed Melee passed the $3k mark, but Skullgirls is still $500 ahead of you. Do your part and donate.

Shimesaba

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure someone just gave us $100 =) I threw in $15 to bring it up to 2900, and now we've just broken $3,000. Coming for ya Skullgirls.

EDIT: Haha I was a bit slow. Thanks Avarice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom