• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acryte

Smash Ace
What about a top player incentive thing.. like whatever they donate we can fundraise later to match that by purchasing their tickets for the flight if melee gets in? Then Armada, etc would probably be willing to throw a grand at it, and we could purchase his plane ticket later if we get in ... etc.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Edited the OP with the SRK article on the standings and update.
Also added 0sh's most recent standings.

As long as someone posts the amounts late at night or early morning, I'll be able to keep the OP somewhat recent. Other than that, a mod might have to edit and update to keep it very recent.

bump

Atlus8

Smash Master
Redact also mentioned possibly throwing in a grand earlier in this thread

E: And thanks, good **** =)
Hope it doesn't have to come to that! He has done so damn much for us already!

Sorry if any of this has been said; don't have time to read.

Some1 get a hold of Neo and tell that n1gg4 to rep his roots and push Melee over the top!

But seriously, get your rich friends to donate. If the don't play, bring the game over to their house, get them hooked, then tell them to donate.

Also, I surely hope the top players are talking about this among themselves, potentially coordinating some type of donation effort. I know that Smash doesn't bring in a lot of cash, but for gosh sakes, there's not way SG's players have made more than us in pots so far within the same time period. Put it this way: If .1% of the registered members on SWF voted for Melee (of which I'm sure there's plenty more than that on here for it) we would raise $11,553.60.

And to pros: this would be a great way for you to give back to all the players who give to you on a regular basis (the 99%+ of players who enter tournies but never win anything) and to take your skills to the grandest of stages. It would be truly awesome and an amazing testament to our community if we could make this happen.

I agree that we don't need the other FGC's approval to be satisfied with ourselves, but I think it would be great to make an impression none the less. I must have seen over 100 Marvel/SF players AT LEAST on the stream this past weekend after watching Apex GF's say how entertaining it was or at least how much they enjoyed it, never having watched a serious Smash match before. This would be such a good chance to show our game to many who wouldn't get the chance otherwise.

That's what I care about. I don't care if we get any1's approval. We don't need it. We've proven ourselves capable time and time again. But hot diggity damn would it be a good time had for all...

I donated. You do the same.
You know those $10 you owed me for Call of Duty around 4 or 5 years ago?! Donate it to Melee!

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
I'll be matching some donations tomorrow night during the Melee It On Me podcast.
This is what I've been waiting for. I want some big names (even commentators) from APEX to post in this thread and acknowledge that this is happening. Keep it up everyone!

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Is anyone here interested in a $10 Itunes card? I just added $10 more but I don't think my parents will be happy if they notice that I'm starving here at college because I'm wasting my spending money on this. But if somebody were to donate $10 extra on my behalf, I'd be willing to give them the code to redeem $10 on Itunes. First come, first serve.

EDIT: And yes, I know a lot of other people just download all their music. -_-

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Then we will show them both how much we care about supporting breast cancer research.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Hope it doesn't have to come to that! He has done so damn much for us already!
True, Redact is freaking amazing, I love this community. We should really plan on running a fundraiser tournament / biweekly during this month to raise money. If you have any ideas on how to raise money, post them here

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Did I miss something? Where are the bronies saying they're donating for SG?
One person spreads a rumor and then the general hate for it jumps on using it as a scapegoat? Pretty common scenario.

Mane6 supports both skullgirls and ssbm so don't see where the bronies supporting skullgirls came from..

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Did I miss something? Where are the bronies saying they're donating for SG?
I haven't fact checked but srk is talking about bronies fully supporting skull girls openly. Gunna check their forums and ago forums later.

Not mane6 mind you, that's misinformation. The sentence after mane6 said they love the guys who made sg they said ssbm is ther favorite game.

:phone:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I checked the skullgirls forum on srk, they think bronies are supporting them cause of what was said here. Like i said, its just a rumor. A lot of the thread was them hating on ponies.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I checked the skullgirls forum on srk, they think bronies are supporting them cause of what was said here. Like i said, its just a rumor. A lot of the thread was them hating on ponies.
Well what was said he was based on what was said in the general "8th Evo game" on srk. And what was said there was thought to be from equieastia daily, a brony forum. Might just be an accidental troll, which is relieving. Although the FGC seems split between their own votes for sg or us. I think we have this simply because of apex. Could not have come at a better time, sg funds gunna run dry and it'll be our turn to put up or shut up. I'm done donating until the end if its close.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Well if that's the reason then really they should stay off. Only people who plays or watches sg and enjoys watching it should only donate to sg, Melee players and viewers on streams that likes the game should only donate to Melee. If ponies donate only because of hate they're getting from another community or because they're indie shouldn't be the reason to donate.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
uh, no

it's to support breast cancer

any reason is a good reason to donate for that

Gliffie

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1906-3068
Well if that's the reason then really they should stay off. Only people who plays or watches sg and enjoys watching it should only donate to sg, Melee players and viewers on streams that likes the game should only donate to Melee. If ponies donate only because of hate they're getting from another community or because they're indie shouldn't be the reason to donate.

Alright, let's slow down the theories again. Skullgirls is getting a lot of donations because they have a dedicated fanbase. They're doing an amazing job and discrediting them like this is just disrespectful.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't think any of us are in any position to dictate how anyone else should or shouldn't spend their money. Everything's going to the same charity in the end, and while I certainly would like to see Melee take the 8th slot at EVO, it's pretty silly to essentially tell people "don't donate to cancer research unless it's not going to hurt Melee's chances".

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Got my money's worth.

Atlus: I never even got it to work XD

------------------------------------------------------

Super Smash Bros Melee. cost me about $55 with tax on Dec 3rd, 2001.

I still have the original .00 disc and I'd say I've gotten my fair share of gameplay out of it (over 10,000+ hrs Combined Vs Mode played back in '06 before my card got erased. Haven't played as much since then).

I donated $55 dollars to potentially see my favorite game "re-released" that hasn't let me down for 10 years.

+ $10 for keeping agreements.

I WILL donate more if it comes down to the wire.

Step it up

:pichu:

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
^I love that. I mean a game costs you 40-60$ nowadays and no one has any problem with buying a 4 hour campaign at a high price or a terrible game that boasts a 30 hour campaign you'll never bother to touch again; but when it comes to the game that went high above the initial cost in it's worth everyone should be able to chip in for that. Do melee a favor, don't buy AC3...wait where'd that come from?

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I don't think any of us are in any position to dictate how anyone else should or shouldn't spend their money. Everything's going to the same charity in the end, and while I certainly would like to see Melee take the 8th slot at EVO, it's pretty silly to essentially tell people "don't donate to cancer research unless it's not going to hurt Melee's chances".
Nicely said, good sir.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Oh, Krisp. I love you for what you said over in the SRK thread.

"Yin said: ↑
Melee "deserves it" more...?! That game was born with a silver spoon in it's mouth. Nintendo franchises and backing, pretty much set for life. It's had more than most fighting games can dream of already.
Skullgirls has had to fight for everything, and if they miraculously can donate enough to win the 8th spot against a behemoth like Smash, they ****ing deserve it. I didn't even think it'd make top 10, frankly. I am amazed."

"I really wanted to reply to this.

Nintendo is not capcom. I don't want to speak for the community but I know I hate Nintendo at this point for letting me down at every turn in order to cater to a more general audience. There's absolutely no Nintendo backing with melee, it's 100% grassroots. People loved the game, they shared their videos and came together. As for MLG, after we were dropped they bought our forum and ignored us as well. Only recently did an old TO/respected community member bring some other members together to buy it off of them and change it.

If anything I'm jealous of SG for having a cool dev team that wants nothing but the best for it's community, Nintendo can't even bother to retweet the apex stream, and trust me we let them know it was on. They don't hold tournies either and when MLG asked for permission to stream melee they never responded leaving MLG feeling uneasy about a possible lawsuit if they went through with it.

We're a community playing a 12 year old game on a console 2 generations behind with controllers that are no longer being produced and no online functionality. You know what we did? We went out and bought CRTs and GCNs and old controllers to repair our broken ones. We have community members setting up SSBMO with online functionality, slight changes, widescreen support, etc. and another community made dev team modding brawl to make project M, a bridge between our split communities with new stages and hopefully characters later on. I dunno man, Nintendo just tried to reinforce the baby game tag line and you guys fell for it. I don't care if SG wins, good on them, but people shouldn't assume they know a community when they earlier admitted they don't know the community (not you specifically who I'm quoting but let's face it, it's happened here.)

And to say a playerbase is not the reason for a game to be in a tournament is just...ugh...really? So bronies can't play their game because it'd just be a showcase for an independent game without a following but SG does? Which is the more legit game is up to you and your opinion, it definitely is a good game, your opinion on which is more deserving isn't as much so. What happened to the 'Evo is about the competition' arguments?"

I would join the SRK in order to help but right now, it won't let anyone sign up. Do they normally do this?

Revven

FrankerZ
Skullgirls donations have seemingly stagnated, it's been at $3,493.64 for awhile now (I think a few hours?) I wonder if they're just waiting for when Melee will overtake again......

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
It won't let you sing up? That's weird, they ask for your e-mail instead of a username and you pick a nick name after. Maybe you were putting in majormoses and it didn't acept anything without @something.com

I think I went overboard though...I don't want to start spamming their thread but after the SG player came here and said we had everything we needed because Nintendo liked and was making Smash 4 and hearing it again over there I had to post something...then I wrote paragraphs.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
It won't let you sing up? That's weird, they ask for your e-mail instead of a username and you pick a nick name after. Maybe you were putting in majormoses and it didn't acept anything without @something.com

I think I went overboard though...I don't want to start spamming their thread but after the SG player came here and said we had everything we needed because Nintendo liked and was making Smash 4 and hearing it again over there I had to post something...then I wrote paragraphs.
Nah, I think what you said was perfect. It wasn't threatening or anything. Just a good explanation that will prevent people who WANT to understand from getting the wrong idea. Nothing will prevent people who DON'T want to understand from arguing against you but since they have no real arguments against you besides "not a fighting game" we're golden.

However.... did you edit that to say "Point is, donate...too boobies." at the very end of it? Cuz I think one of the mods might have edited your post. I didn't see that before.

And SRK is giving me an error message saying "New registrations are currently not being accepted."

MasterHavik

Smash Cadet
Oh, Krisp. I love you for what you said over in the SRK thread.

"Yin said: ↑
Melee "deserves it" more...?! That game was born with a silver spoon in it's mouth. Nintendo franchises and backing, pretty much set for life. It's had more than most fighting games can dream of already.
Skullgirls has had to fight for everything, and if they miraculously can donate enough to win the 8th spot against a behemoth like Smash, they ****ing deserve it. I didn't even think it'd make top 10, frankly. I am amazed."

"I really wanted to reply to this.

Nintendo is not capcom. I don't want to speak for the community but I know I hate Nintendo at this point for letting me down at every turn in order to cater to a more general audience. There's absolutely no Nintendo backing with melee, it's 100% grassroots. People loved the game, they shared their videos and came together. As for MLG, after we were dropped they bought our forum and ignored us as well. Only recently did an old TO/respected community member bring some other members together to buy it off of them and change it.

If anything I'm jealous of SG for having a cool dev team that wants nothing but the best for it's community, Nintendo can't even bother to retweet the apex stream, and trust me we let them know it was on. They don't hold tournies either and when MLG asked for permission to stream melee they never responded leaving MLG feeling uneasy about a possible lawsuit if they went through with it.

We're a community playing a 12 year old game on a console 2 generations behind with controllers that are no longer being produced and no online functionality. You know what we did? We went out and bought CRTs and GCNs and old controllers to repair our broken ones. We have community members setting up SSBMO with online functionality, slight changes, widescreen support, etc. and another community made dev team modding brawl to make project M, a bridge between our split communities with new stages and hopefully characters later on. I dunno man, Nintendo just tried to reinforce the baby game tag line and you guys fell for it. I don't care if SG wins, good on them, but people shouldn't assume they know a community when they earlier admitted they don't know the community (not you specifically who I'm quoting but let's face it, it's happened here.)

And to say a playerbase is not the reason for a game to be in a tournament is just...ugh...really? So bronies can't play their game because it'd just be a showcase for an independent game without a following but SG does? Which is the more legit game is up to you and your opinion, it definitely is a good game, your opinion on which is more deserving isn't as much so. What happened to the 'Evo is about the competition' arguments?"

I would join the SRK in order to help but right now, it won't let anyone sign up. Do they normally do this?
This.....so godlike...good **** man.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Has anyone else noticed the double-standard we're living under with the FGC? Not that all people a part of the FGC are doing this to us, but it's there.

First, it's tough to be accepted because Smash isn't considered a fighting game due to how different it is.
Then, when we are accepted, we're recommended/told to keep items, all stages, whatever in order to embrace our difference.

Like I said, it's not with all people, just an observation.

I wonder what reasoning there is to keeping items and all stages - besides that it's more 'fun' or 'entertaining to watch'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom