• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
It pretty much looks like we have this in the bag now, but I wouldn't let up the donations just yet...

BrandX

Smash Ace
There is such a huge difference between the way big combos in Marvel work compared to SG.

In Marvel, that **** gets hype. Skullgirls combos are anti-hype.
Not really, it's like saying MVC2 is anti-hype, because SkullGirls is literally a modified MVC2 engine. MVC2 didn't need a burst mechanic, it's all about waiting (Hopefully) for the combo to drop and try to get back into the flow. SkullGirls is the exact same way.

The closes thing to a burst mechanic is the IPS going off and letting you burst them away from you, but don't count on that the entire time.

luzbwl

Smash Cadet
Well, I don't like big combos in general, that doesn't mean I don't like games that have it. I word it wrong, I know.
For the same reason I think kof98 is more awesome than XIII but I like them both. And for the same reason I like ST more than SG but I'll admit I don't know much about SG.

Oh, and I like marvel. I sometimes fantasy with a less comboing marvel 3 that is balanced around short combos lol

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
BrandX that was a 76 hit combo that was a BnB that still didn't kill the character he was attacking. I admit I don't know as much about MvC2 as I do MvC3 but I don't remember a combo in marvel actually making me almost fall asleep halfway through.

What's great is that the combo in that vid was found after a patch was released to reduce combo length. What the **** were you guys playing on day 1, Jesus Christ.

Laijin

Smash Hero
oh my god.
Think about it.
Nobody in the melee nor SGs community is that well established.
ST fans probably have some dudes are that ****ing LOADED CEOs sitting around owning companies and ****. Think about it. THEIR FANS ARE THAT OLD FOR THAT TO THE BE POSSIBLE. They could also be well established drug dealers, etc etc.

They don't need streams. They don't need an entire community to organize like we do.
Its probably a small handful of guys that are all super loaded with money planning on sniping this away from us at the last minute.

This is bad. I'm legit worried. I would hate for ST to suddenly catch up. Its just a bunch of old people who play nothing but the arcade cabinet version.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
oh my god.
Think about it.
ST fans probably have some dudes are that ****ing LOADED CEOs sitting around owning companies and ****. Think about it. THEIR FANS ARE THAT OLD FOR THAT TO THE BE POSSIBLE. They could also be well established drug dealers, etc etc.

They don't need streams. They don't need an entire community to organize like we do.
Its probably a small handful of guys that are all super loaded with money planning on sniping this away from us at the last minute.

This is bad. I'm legit worried. I would hate for ST to suddenly catch up. Its just a bunch of old people who play nothing but the arcade cabinet version.
Don't worry, they're saltin' it over at Skullgirls too. We can all salt together and get some 'taters to make some chips.

BrandX

Smash Ace
BrandX that was a 76 hit combo that was a BnB that still didn't kill the character he was attacking. I admit I don't know as much about MvC2 as I do MvC3 but I don't remember a combo in marvel actually making me almost fall asleep halfway through.

What's great is that the combo in that vid was found after a patch was released to reduce combo length. What the **** were you guys playing on day 1, Jesus Christ.
Well yes that is true, it is a bit outrageous a combo like that exists in a patch that was meant to prevent it, but come on, it's not like the first fighting game to exploit something like that.

Btw, if you want a game with boring *** combos, look up Under Night In Birth, holy crap those are snore fest.

oh my god.
Think about it.

Yeah....it is strange how they suddenly started donating huge chunks of cash. What is going on here?

Smiles

Smash Journeyman
lol ST fans prolly gonna refinance their house and cars for loans. Pay it off with mild interest. Wish i could overdraft my bank acccount lol. Shee.. prolly donate plasma. OMG plasma. what like guaranteed 50 -75 bucks. There blood will be blood! lol EEEverybody has blood. Go go go!

Laijin

Smash Hero
lol ST fans prolly gonna refinance their house and cars for loans. Pay it off with mild interest. Wish i could overdraft my bank acccount lol. Shee.. prolly donate plasma. OMG plasma. what like guaranteed 50 -75 bucks. There blood will be blood.
Why would they need to do that when they are all stock brokers and real estate agents with REALLY deep pockets? I bet their already buying the japanese ST players tickets to fly down here for EVO. They are probably laughing at us "LOL they only raised 30k each? This will be easy"

Neuron_Panzer

Smash Rookie
Nice lead, everyone. Well done! Don't let up that pressure, though - SG's final day donation drive is looking big & powerful, so we need to make sure we drag as large a lead as possible to give ourselves an edge on the day.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Nice lead, everyone. Well done! Don't let up that pressure, though - SG's final day donation drive is looking big & powerful, so we need to make sure we drag as large a lead as possible to give ourselves an edge on the day.
Hm... I know not to underestimate them after the last drive (15K?), but I feel like we're pretty much solid at this point, aren't we? I mean aside from this 4k lead, we have 3.5k in matching donations tomorrow, so assuming we hit it, we'll get another 7k... on the other hand, they have around 2k or so leftover from the last drive and 1.5k in matching funds tomorrow... so assuming there aren't any surprises, it looks like we're in for a solid lead?

Laijin

Smash Hero
Hm... I know not to underestimate them after the last drive (15K?), but I feel like we're pretty much solid at this point, aren't we? I mean aside from this 4k lead, we have 3.5k in matching donations tomorrow, so assuming we hit it, we'll get another 7k... on the other hand, they have around 2k or so leftover from the last drive and 1.5k in matching funds tomorrow... so assuming there aren't any surprises, it looks like we're in for a solid lead?
Nah dude its over.
The dudes at ST already booked their hotel rooms probably.
Both SG and Melee are DONE.
We aint beating grown *** men with deep pockets.
Notice how ST ONLY moves in 1000+ dollar increments. There are no tiny donations in between.

Unless some of us have deep pockets of our own..

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
Nah dude its over.
Notice how ST ONLY moves in 1000+ increments. There are no tiny donations in between.

:( oh man....... lol

BrandX

Smash Ace
Nah dude its over.
Notice how ST ONLY moves in 1000+ dollar increments. There are no tiny donations in between.

I can just imagine their sudden victory.....

*At the end, in your head, just replace the SSF2 characters with smash and skullgirls characters lulz, Guile is a superior race*

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
What's with all these conspiracy theories? I definitely saw ST move up in smaller increments as well. It's just that no one pays attention to them so when it all stacks up people flip.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
This is it! It wasn't Divekick we should've worried about, it was Super Turbo all along.

Tweest.

Lovage

Smash Hero
What's with all these conspiracy theories? I definitely saw ST move up in smaller increments as well. It's just that no one pays attention to them so when it all stacks up people flip.
meanwhile the homie from australia kicks us 1.4k out of the blue and people are barely phased :bee:

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Should we ask Skull Girls to give us their funds so we can defeat ST?
No one here is worried, that said if the SkullGirls community is it only makes sense to transfer their funds. ST will take from their potential pot, not ours. ;)

JacopeX

Smash Apprentice
Believe it or not....

ST is my favorite fighting game ever.

I'm serious. I like that game 100x lot more than Melee and have been playing it longer than any fighter I currently play/have played. But I am donating for Melee because I feel that donating for ST is pretty pointless since I heard the guy that hosted the Tournament of Legends last year was doing something for us this year so....

Nothing to worry about. ^_^

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Calm down.

The only thing that is for sure is that we have NO IDEA what's going to happen. No one knows what could happen on the last day. Theoretically, someone could drop 1 mil on any game... but the "rich CEOs theory for ST" is a little silly. I mean, do CEOs want to go to fighting game tournaments?

Keep in mind that even if some game does have like 40K dropped on it the last day... it could be our game as well. We actually have had the most $1000+ donations so far I think (I know of 4).

Point is, our game has as much potential to be sniped to by some mega-rich guy as any other. If I was going to donate $10,000 tomorrow. I wouldn't tell any one yet.

Tomorrow is gonna be crazy...

Only thing you can do is donate.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Nah dude its over.

actually someone just donated another $2 to ST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom