• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Make the OP a completely unbiased post that is supportive of the charity in general.

USERS can then post stuff supporting whatever game they want, as they NATURALLY WOULD, and we will upvote the pro-Smash comments, AS WE NATURALLY WOULD

no need for being "subtly biased"
Definitely agree with this, along with Gea's and Melomaniacal's posts.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Well, after locking the brawl donation topic, maybe that is a bit too late. Unless I missed the legit reason behind it.
But I didn't even want brawl at EVO, I ain't even mad bros !

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Make the OP a completely unbiased post that is supportive of the charity in general.

USERS can then post stuff supporting whatever game they want, as they NATURALLY WOULD, and we will upvote the pro-Smash comments, AS WE NATURALLY WOULD

no need for being "subtly biased"
Definitely agree with this, along with Gea's and Melomaniacal's posts.
While I do think that supporting the donations drive overall is great, is it not a good idea to have one topic, on our website that links directly to our donation site? (This topic was in Melee's forum, so I can't take it another step now, lol)

However, I did change the OP. Is it better?

Anand

Smash Journeyman
If you edited the OP of this thread, that's not what Zeldafreak & co. were referring to. They meant if we post in /r/gaming on Reddit or something.

Rush

Smash Apprentice
I feel like a lot of people could raise money locally. For example, what we did in our local community was had local callouts/MMs for charity. Pretty much people would do $5 minimum to "money match" someone. All the money still goes to charity, but winning would get you virtual dollars to keep mm people. If you were at zero virtual money you'd have to throw in minimum 5 to enter again. Again the advantage is that it's much more convenient for people to donate in person and on the spot. Plus it creates hype as people want to challenge eachother and were willing to throw 5 to enter. At the end of the day one trustworthy person just donates that amount collect. It was super hype we were able to get around 130 in one night. You don't have to do this, you could do your own thing, but any type of local donation drive is really great. Now if every local community does some type of drive then we would already have a lot of donations.

how about if it's like a contest to see which player can win/donate the most tonight? that way regardless if someone loses their money is still donated to the cause. So lets say I go in tonight with a bankroll of 10.

and for the purposes of this example I wreck Sam in our money match, the standings would be
Ben: 15 (+5) <---(bankroll of 10 + 5)
Sam 0(-5) <----(bankroll of 5 - 5)

I could then use that 15 to carry on money matching, but regardless, win or lose, the money all gets donated. I mean we dont mm THAT much and i think a lot of people are doing it tonight for the purposes of supporting the cause, so it's unfair for someone to win their donation money and just pocket it. At the end of the night we can tally who got the most $ and they can finish first in our little charity tournament.

For example:
1.)Big Chief: 25(+15) <-(started with a bankroll of 10 but won 15)
2.)Craig:20 (+15)
3.)Meatloaf:10 (+5) etc.

For people like you or me that are doing like 5 mms, it just means we gotta win win, cause every time we win we can get more $ to keep mming.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know how to reach out to the Japanese Smash community? It sounds like a couple countries in Europe are showing their support but it would be great if whatever Smashers are left in Japan could do something.

Atlus8

Smash Master
There are over 125,000 registered people on this site!
If half of those accounts are banned/inactive then we still have at least 60,000!
If half of those accounts are Brawl only people then we still got 30,000!
If half of those people don't have jobs/money then we still got 15,000!
If half of those people don't care about getting Melee into EVO then we have 7,500 people!
If each of those 7,500 people donated $10 then . . . yeah!

If anyone wants to properly make this into a Drake's Equation then please!

smashmachine

Smash Lord
If half of those accounts are banned/inactive then we still have at least 60,000!
If half of those people don't care about getting Melee into EVO then we have 7,500 people!

mindblown.jpg

Darkurai

Smash Master

Hell, if half of that 7,500 donated $10, we'd still outbid Skullgirls by $25,000.

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman

and if you're one of the 7,500 that need convincing...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=333130

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
We're all willing to be the butcher. I mean the butcher in this scenario is basically a debt collector right? I think Kage is itching to strong arm some people.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
enough of that
we need to make sure we have 2 donation drives rather than 1, or i get a feeling the one already planned will just cancel the next skullgirls one

Mit

Smash Ace
Really need another large scale donation drive to be organized if there's any hope for winning :\

Really hope the Melee It On Me crew can put something together real soon and hype it up for a couple days. Do we know the real deadline? I see January 29th, but the donation pages say the 31st. Hm.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
It was changed to the 31 at 11:59.

MIOM is doing plenty, streaming right now actually but just chilling and SC2. There's a 48 hour zelda stream on now too. I think it's time everyone checked out the Breast Cancer Research Forum on the main page now. It blew up. Tons of incentives/raffles, get your set critiqued by top players and of course, MIOM matching again.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Tentatively we're planning on something Sunday and then moving next week's show from Wed to Thu to coincide with the last day of the drive.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
I think that the amount we need to lead them by come thursday night has to be a very very large amount. I can definitely see the Skullgirls guys sniping us. If I'm not mistaken they have 3.3k pledged donations that haven't been donated yet. Do not get complacent with a lead.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
The 3.3 also came from the drive I hear. Mike z is gonna wait to see if they need it before they toss it in. Greedy. We need to get the lead first before worrying about maintaining it.

:phone:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Idk if this is as relavent, but the SG donation page has been tweeted with that little button 625 times, while Melee's only 125. If there are any people on SWF that are big on twitter we should get the word spreading there too. More publicity could never hurt.

0sh

Smash Cadet

BSP

Smash Legend
Are we going to have another matching period or time where everyone should donate at once?

:phone:

I.B

Smash Lord
Hey guys, dunno if this has been suggested yet but I can imagine donating to enter doubles with a top player would be an effective incentive

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I mean, that's a good idea and all, but I doubt top players want to be carrying dead weight when money is on the line. Plus you'd have to find a national that they're all attending that you'd be at as well. It's just doesn't seem plausible.

I.B

Smash Lord
They'll make the money back at Evo.

Anyway I can't imagine our top players are so money hungry that jeopardizing (exaggeration at that) ONE doubles tournament is enough for them to be unwilling.

And for your other point, well, they would enter together the next tournament they are both at. Top players travel for nationals so it'd be fairly easy to team with one of them in your region. GGs to international players though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom