• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
People who suggested using reddit - it's really important that you get as many people as possible to UPVOTE the posts. People who are subscribed to r/smashbros won't necessarily be checking the page or notice it unless it has enough upvotes to appear on their own front page.

JacopeX

Smash Apprentice
People who suggested using reddit - it's really important that you get as many people as possible to UPVOTE the posts. People who are subscribed to r/smashbros won't necessarily be checking the page or notice it unless it has enough upvotes to appear on their own front page.
We do need a well worded post though. Once it's up, then we can all upvote it. It should be about the Spirit bomb drive and how they can donate now if they want with a link to the drive.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Honestly, when it comes to reddit, I don't even think we need to stick to the smashbros sub. Go straight to the gaming sub and make a post about the event, if this hasn't happened already. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think when appealing to the masses, Smash will always get more donations.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Honestly, when it comes to reddit, I don't even think we need to stick to the smashbros sub. Go straight to the gaming sub and make a post about the event, if this hasn't happened already. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think when appealing to the masses, Smash will always get more donations.
This x1000.
I'll even make the post with my account "MeleeLaijin".
Just give me a well worded blurb to post and we can all upvote in mass. I'm sure if EVERYONE upvoted it'll reach the front page in no time.

At the same time we can all downvote specific posts in mass as well for anyone trying to actually advertise donating to Skull Girls in the thread lol

JacopeX

Smash Apprentice
I was going to say to not post in the Melee specific board and just post in the Smash forum...but I love Melo's idea better.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
This x1000.
I'll even make the post with my account "MeleeLaijin".
Just give me a well worded blurb to post and we can all upvote in mass. I'm sure if EVERYONE upvoted it'll reach the front page in no time
I feel like it shouldn't be hard to get this on the front page of reddit. This is a historic event for competitive gaming, and gaming in general. We're proving that video game communities can come together and do something amazing for a great cause.

It's especially amazing for an underground grassroots community such as ourselves.

A shameless Melee promotion wouldn't hurt, either. ;)

Nintendude

Smash Hero
There's also subs for Nintendo and e-sports that would be good outlets. The only problem with r/gaming is that the post will get super buried unless it gets A LOT of upvotes in a short period of time. We'd really need to widely advertise it around here to get the necessary upvotes to push it to the front page. We'd need even more votes to counter the inevitable downvotes by people who don't care.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
There's also subs for Nintendo and e-sports that would be good outlets. The only problem with r/gaming is that the post will get super buried unless it gets A LOT of upvotes in a short period of time. We'd really need to widely advertise it around here to get the necessary upvotes to push it to the front page. We'd need even more votes to counter the inevitable downvotes by people who don't care.
Could it be x-posted from all the other boards being mentioned? I mostly just lurk reddit, so I'm not sure how that works.

Either way, gamers coming together and donating $30,000+ for breast cancer research is an enormous event that absolutely deserves to be on the front page of any gaming board. I'm not confident that a "donate to Melee" thread would get front, but a "gaming history being made" post, with maybe a small Melee promotion, has huge potential. Again, I could be wrong, but I think the majority of people on reddit would support Smash over other niche competitive games.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
All x-post means is that it was also posted on another subreddit (usually a good way to advertise another subreddit). It's still a completely separate post.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
All x-post means is that it was also posted on another subreddit (usually a good way to advertise another subreddit). It's still a completely separate post.
Ah, I thought it redirects to the original post, which would just make it easier to get more attention quickly.

I think we have to be careful how we present ourselves on Reddit. If we're taken the wrong way, things can backfire.
Agreed. Which is why I think the focus needs to be the good cause, not Melee (or any other game) getting into Evo. We should all keep in mind that the money going towards breast cancer research holds much greater importance in the world than what game gets into Evo. My thought is just that the whole event needs mass attention, both for the research, and because Smash has more mass appeal than any of the other games listed.

Laijin

Smash Hero
So basically make the post have HEAVY emphasis on the breast cancer donation and just be like "Look how much money these smash players have all donated for breast cancer!" or something, and then ask them to donate and when you link to the donation page make sure its the Melee one. I'm not too good on wording these things, but basically we need to get them to feel good about donating to breast cancer and giving their money in support of melee.
How do we do this?

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
So basically make the post have HEAVY emphasis on the breast cancer donation and just be like "Look how much money these smash players have all donated for breast cancer!" or something, and then ask them to donate and when you link to the donation page make sure its the Melee one. I'm not too good on wording these things, but basically we need to get them to feel good about donating to breast cancer and giving their money in support of melee.
How do we do this?
Unfortunately, I think that would backfire; personally I think redditors tend to be very cynical and suspicious by nature, and they're usually vicious against any attempts at manipulation if they pick up on it (even though we see them being fooled all the time)... I feel like if anything, there's going to be more than one guy who will decide to investigate and even find this thread.

I think the best chance would be to completely remove melee from the title and just throw it up as a "donate for breast cancer and and get your favorite game on EVO!". It's a gamble, but I feel (as was stated earlier) that without trying to put a spin on it, melee will probably have the most supporters in a large mass of gamers anyway.

And with one more note, I think we should not be thinking with the mentality of sniping (or being sniped), because it is much better to simply keep throwing in the funds instead of deciding on a "safe" goal.

In the end, I'm a fan of both games. Melee's carried me and my close friends through our spare time during the entirety of college, and I've always thought Skullgirls was an amazing attempt by a Western indie developer to introduce a respectable fighting game. I know that the smash bros community gets a lot of flak for being "pretty bad" (putting it nicely), so let's use this opportunity to show them wrong! I think regardless of who wins, the behavior of both communities will definitely be key. There's little point in winning but looking like huge jerks!

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I would be pretty subtle about the Melee endorsement. I think a good idea would be to draw attention to the donation drives we and the SG have been doing. I'm not too afraid of giving them attention as well, because between the two of us, we will get much more support from the general public. It is a gamble, but I think it will help us more than anyone else, and if worst comes to worst, we did a great thing by drawing attention and support for a great cause.

Gea

Smash Master
Man don't even try to be bias about it. Support the charity straight up. If we want melee supporters then additional posts can be encouraging stories from our community. There's no reason to try and sway people a certain way-- both sides would benefit from this.

Revven

FrankerZ
Man don't even try to be bias about it. Support the charity straight up. If we want melee supporters then additional posts can be encouraging stories from out community. There's no reason to try and sway people a certain way-- both sides would benefit from this.
I agree with this so hard.

Laijin

Smash Hero
If its a gamble EVERYONE is willing to take, then I say lets take it. I also fully believe we will benefit way more on this gamble.

Just add in the post "WOMBO COMBO" and "THAT AINT FALCO" and people will get amused.
Everyone knows those words. Hell I was watching the International 2 for DoTA 2 the other day(the largest DotA tournament in the world where teams compete for millions of dollars) and the ****ing commentators were screaming "WOMBO COMBO" during epic moments.

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
Make the OP a completely unbiased post that is supportive of the charity in general.

USERS can then post stuff supporting whatever game they want, as they NATURALLY WOULD, and we will upvote the pro-Smash comments, AS WE NATURALLY WOULD

no need for being "subtly biased"

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Man don't even try to be bias about it. Support the charity straight up. If we want melee supporters then additional posts can be encouraging stories from our community. There's no reason to try and sway people a certain way-- both sides would benefit from this.
Definitely agree. If anything, we can have some endorsements in the comments. But the post should stay pretty unbiased.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
While spreading awareness of a charity is all well and good, I don't think building a propaganda machine for Melee around it is.

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
While spreading awareness of a charity is all well and good, I don't think building a propaganda machine for Melee around it is.
Right, which is why I'm proposing that we just post a neutral "Hey here's this donation drive that's going on, vote for your favorite game to be in EVO!" and then let the thread go on its own. The sheer numbers that are behind Smash will NATURALLY propel its support to the top; there's no "propaganda" here.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Right, which is why I'm proposing that we just post a neutral "Hey here's this donation drive that's going on, vote for your favorite game to be in EVO!" and then let the thread go on its own. The sheer numbers that are behind Smash will NATURALLY propel its support to the top; there's no "propaganda" here.
Was responding to Laijin, but yes, that's the gist of it. :V

Number 13

Smash Rookie

Speaking it how it is. Loved how unbiased and composed that post was. This is all for breast cancer in the end. Thought you all wanted to see that and feel proud you got a standup guy like him in your community

ycz12

Smash Ace
I'm gonna make a post on /r/Nintendo if nobody objects. Something like

"Donate to breast cancer research AND help get SSBM into the biggest fighting game tournament of the year!"

with a link to the main SRK donation page.

BSP

Smash Legend
IDK how everyone feels about AiB, but it probably wouldn't hurt to put something up on there too, especially with the end approaching.

This is picky, but the OP would be more friendly if you asked for members of the Smash community to post pics/tags/donation amount, while reserving the vids for Melee.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Just put in $10. I'm not that great at Melee but I am behind the Smash Community 100% Regardless of what version of the game it is.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Gamers have got to just quiet down. Gamers have no credibility in this argument. This is all about their lust for violence and the industry’s lust for money. This is a billion-dollar industry. This is about their self-interest.”

After all I've seen from these communities, I just want to say that we have collectively done a lot to disprove all these ignorant comments from big public figures like California State Senator Leland Yee. Just as a note that comment was regarding violence in video games, and there's nothing more violent than people beating eachother up for fun. Keep donating to a good cause and keep drowning out people like that with our actions and passion.

:phone:

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
So are we having another donation raffle where we get a lot of donations done at once or are we spreading our donations out?

In the end MrWizard acknowledges both parties' dedication and includes both SG and Melee

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
I'm gonna make a post on /r/Nintendo if nobody objects. Something like

"Donate to breast cancer research AND help get SSBM into the biggest fighting game tournament of the year!"

with a link to the main SRK donation page.
you should link it here too (and to friends etc) so that it doesn't get immediately buried

(it's here btw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom