• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
If all the top players agreed to it for a given tournament (say G3nesis), then basically it'd be a bunch of top players + a random for most of the teams. That might actually be pretty interesting lol.

Laijin

Smash Hero
We can basically maybe have them say how much they want donated for a person to team with them?
So for example, Armada can come out and say "The first person to donate 2k I'll team with them next tourney we are at". Just an example...

That would be an amazing incentive

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Well except Armada retired
So it would have to be like, mango or PP or someone.
Not sure they'd want to sacrifice tourney success for it though.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I'm 100 percent okay with it. Scar has our stream key. Thing is, he has his own thing going on so it seems he'd rather do it on his channel. I personally think it's a little silly not do it on our channel since this is a community thing and our channel will clearly bring in more viewers. I mean, here we are, the most popular smash channel with hundreds of thousands of views and thousands of followers we worked hard to get. Why not use our channel for a community donation drive?

:phone:

smashmachine

Smash Lord
I'm 100 percent okay with it. Scar has our stream key. Thing is, he has his own thing going on so it seems he'd rather do it on his channel. I personally think it's a little silly not do it on our channel since this is a community thing and our channel will clearly bring in more viewers. I mean, here we are, the most popular smash channel with hundreds of thousands of views and thousands of followers we worked hard to get. Why not use our channel for a community donation drive?

can't he like, do the entire show on your channel?
or am i missing something here

kupo15

Smash Hero
I've seen posts from people that go something like this:

"There are X number of ppl viewing this thread/stream/etc... If everyone donates $5 we can make $X and win this thing easily"

Its an exciting thing to see how much $ we could potentially make easily using this logic however this hope usually disappears quickly and the tactic never turns out to be as effective as it can be. I think the reason why is this. While that pitch sounds like it should work well (in a way where we can get a lot of money without people feeling like they are dropping serious cash) no one knows who is listening and who will actually donate. Thus it makes people feel like it won't work and lose motivation to donate. I've experienced this.

I think the solution is to:
-Show everyone the profit that can be made if everyone donates a insignificant amount
-Have people post a pledge that they will donate X amount
-Have one person add up all the money from the pledges
-Share this information with everyone

Example:
(Coordinator) "There are 2,000 ppl viewing this thread. If everyone donates $5 we can make $10,000. Whomever is thinking about donating, send me a PM. I will post the results in an hour."
(viewer 1) "I'll would donate $5"
(viewer 150) "I'll would donate $5"

(Coordinator) " Ok everyone, out of 2000 ppl viewing, I received pledges from 750 of you. If everyone who showed interest donates their pledge at this time we will raise $3,750.

I feel like people will be more motivated to follow through if they know the number of ppl from the unknown X number of users would be donating and how much money is going to be raised before they donate. $5 feels like you are not accomplishing anything but when you see the results of your $5 before you commit it, you feel like your measly $5 is actually making a difference and will be more likely to donate it. By setting a time when everyone should submit their pledge, everyone involved will get instant satisfaction that the plan worked.

TL;DR - less open ended-ness!!

Just my thoughts..

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Watching 48 hour stream and be said let's refresh. I said I just did went up 20$. He said no krisp, were at 21k. I'm like lol no that's skull girls dude. He's like no refresh...then I too peed a little. I...I don't know what happened? Redact. The marchers? What?

kupo15

Smash Hero
I wonder if it is that one poster who convinced his mom to donate (who had breast cancer) That would make sense but I'm not sure! Thank you whoever donated it!

Atlus8

Smash Master
I wonder if it is that one poster who convinced his mom to donate (who had breast cancer) That would make sense but I'm not sure! Thank you whoever donated it!
I was just thinking that as well!

Edit - I'm thinking Redact too because he hasn't posted much the last several days! However, I wouldn't think he would go that far!

smopup

Smash Journeyman
We've still got a few episodes until we unleash the Spirit Bomb.

It's definitely not the time to slow down, but I think it's okay to do this for now:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Yeah I suggest saving the Spirit Bomb for the last day. We need the best shot for all that sniping that's sure to come.

Tse

Smash Cadet
Jan 31st: SON GOKU will emerge from the hyperbolic time chamber only to find perfect form skullgirls running amok on the sacred world of kais. SON GOKU, channeling the money from the millions of meleers, brawlers, 64ers, Project Mers, and casual players drops a massive spirit money bomb with a power level of over 9,000 USD onto the tyrant known as skull girls. Protecting the balance of the fragile EVO universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom