• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee changed my life.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Turns out Raftbuilder has a soul. Who knew?

I met some of my dearest friends playing this game. Good ****, Melee.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Heh, I always wanted to post something like this, but I never ended up doing so because I figured I would eventually be back. I don't think I'll share it though, because it would take a long time and I'm pretty private about these sort of things.

I always feel very strangely about the whole experience, sort of how I view life in general. However, since I have already spent the time in melee and can't exactly get back the time I spent on it, I feel much better focusing on all the great things that happened. I met a lot of really great people, and to make a list of them all would fill multiple pages. However, someday I probably should do it. I owe all of you my thanks, after all.

Melee is indeed a great game.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Over half the people I've come to know as friends in my life have been through Smash Melee. Brawl is terrible to me - I feel no desire to meet anyone through it, venturing off to Georgia which was one of the only options for me to find tournaments.

My life was changed by a lot of the people I met, and people I met through them. Melee has taken up a large portion of my life, but I don't see it as wasting time on a video game. it's amazing. it's the best game ever, I can see no other truth. Because of this game I have met so many incredible people, so many memories, inside jokes, and stories... None of this would be possible with Brawl. I too sold my Wii.

Nothing really feels as good as whooping *** in Melee. Whether you waveshine Peach across the stage, ken combo someone, or simply do Falcon's knee, it's a great feeling. Hell, me and one friend (a definite non pro) have beaten up on lvl 9 Bowser and DK on a team vs us, for years. something about hearing them scream as we knee/stomp with Falcon and Ganon just brings some kind of theraputic solution to everything. That probably doesn't make sense to anyone...

Either way, hats off to Melee. I'm unsure where my life would be without it.

You guys rock ^_^

drcossack

Smash Ace
Great thread. I started playing Melee again after I first read it. Casual player though.

I bought the game in 2001. I played it fairly often from '01 to '05, beating up on computer opponents - I wasn't aware of the competitive scene in PA. I found out about Smashboards on GameFAQs and signed up in '05, during my sophomore year of college. I learned about the Advanced Techs and started implementing them in my game (wavedashing, teching, L-Cancelling. I didn't get SHFFL'ing until a few days ago.) I found out about local tournaments @ TGP, but wasn't ready to play in them.

I stopped playing Melee during Winter '05 to turn my attention to poker. I found out about a video game night at my college, which included Melee. I started practicing again and easily took first (all scrubs though, so it was meh, but a win is a win I guess.)

After that, I stopped playing Melee again in anticipation of Brawl (plus I had other game "projects" to work on - remakes of classic NES and SNES games - Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, etc) - I played a couple times a month so I could continue being able to use the ATs.

When Brawl was released, I bought it, but still had to wait a week for my Wii. I played Melee to pass the time (Winter Break FTW) - I also wanted to refamiliarize myself with Marth and Sheik.

That didn't last long. After I unlocked everyone, I didn't play it as often. I didn't like the feel of it and dropped it altogether a few days ago after I read this thread - the game was just too slow for me after playing Melee for a little more than 6 years.

Since then, I started working on Melee again. I finally learned how to SHFFL (though I still have to work on dbl SHFFL'd fairs with Marth), then I started working on increasing my smoothness between attacks - my movements wrtr relatively jerky.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I think I've developed so much through smash and meeting people that have changed my life in it just wanting to get good at it. I love everyone I've met, from being destroyed by everyone to finally feeling like i'm an even playing field, it's been an amazing journey and I've loved every second of it and every person I've met. Cept the blade breakers, since they're family and I can't love them on that level

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
Melee changed my life as well. I fluncked out of college. But it's cool, because that gave me more time to work on my game. The best part is, when I was getting to the height of my melee game, everybody quit playing because of brawl. Yay...wait, agh this sucks, this thread is depressing, I'm leaving!

TengenToppaDrill

Smash Apprentice
Your mom's house... Calgary Alberta, Canada, Earth
I guess I'll post my story: I first started smash with the first one. I was still relatively young when I fell in love with the game. I mean all the possibilities. This game solely was the reason that I stuck with nintendo for all these years (of course there were other games). When melee came out, I bought it on the release date and spent the whole day playing through
the game. Skip about seven years into the future. I have visited a few tournaments and met people through melee. Smash has become a giant part of my life and I've learned all the ATs and glitches. Brawl comes out and I get my grubby little hands on it. I am astounded at the pure concentrated awesomeness the game has. After playing brawl for a couple months, I am amazingly not bored. In fact, I'm having as fun a time as with the teeming content from melee. I feel brawl is a worthy successor to melee. Most of my memories are about playing smash and I was a little reluctant to let go of the past, but Brawl is really an amazing game and I feel it will one day reach melee's level of competivity. If I get homesick I can always play a good ol' fashioned game of melee, but otherwise I"m maining brawl. But fear not, I won't let melee drown. If it starts to, I'll pull it up and out of the water myself!!

~rh

Smash Lord
^ Great story, and I would like to say that your username is by far the best one on SmashBoards. Ever.

illboyzeus

Smash Ace
This **** epic

I started playing melee way back bout five or so years ago, but discovered wavedashing a lil later. I destroyed my friends and thought I was incredible. I played marth and was as nooby as can be, I just knew how to wavedash a little. Then I got into some trouble in chicago and came to live in minnesota and stop playing for awhile, that was three years ago. I met this kid deshane(d.disciple) and he told me he played with pika. I'm like lets go, marth destroys pika. So we play and he ***** me, I'm guessing I won one or two matches out of twenty. But it spurred me to do better.
I picked up doc first as my main to learn to l cancel and whatnot, after watching overdose. But he didn't work out too well. Then I disciple showed me soldier of fortune, and the falco saga began. My first tourney I went I got last, dead last. But I didn't give up. Over the years I went to every event I could and practiced my tech a lot.
I went to FC last year and it was the definition of godly, played forward and so many other pros I got way better, I came to mn with a vengeance. I was always the most technical now I had smarts. I won my first tourney and it was great. now I'm top 3 in the state, when years ago I was just a low scrub. But those years were great since I met great friends. Then brawl came at the height of my skill and kind of just ****ed every thing over lol. I'm still practice melee though and I still am technical as all hell, I just wish melee would come back cuz I know I could go pro anytime now. love melee.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
This topic needs to get back on track people. Get people in here, your friends, enemies, anyone, get them in here and get them to post their stories.

Grunt

Smash Master
i thought pro gaming was a myth until melee.(well 64 actually) i started to wonder what people did with all their skills in SSB64, so once i had melee (and internet) i looked for videos, and HOLY **** WTF HAX! i dont remember what video it was...but it had Falcon, and he 4 stocked some guy like it was nothing.

JFox

Smash Hero
The strange and amazing thing I find about Melee is that the better I get at this game, the further I feel from ever reaching my peak. Its like as I get better, I realize just how deep a game this really is. Its an unbelievable thing.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Keep your wii for the chicks.
offtopic

Anyways, my story. Its kinda similar to all the ones before it, but this is the place for it so here goes. I originally bought smash as my second gamecube game, i had loved the first one so much i had to have it. I played it for a good while, getting all the stages, characters, whatever. And then I put it down. It was always a game I enjoyed but I was a kid, and I didn't know anything about being competitive, or ATs.

So my junior year of high school, I joined my high school rowing team. I've been an athlete since I can remember, and I needed a spring sport. A bunch of the kids on the team played, so I was like "hells yeah" and started playing with them. One of the kids had just discovered high level competitive play and was trying to show us all. I saw "The Hylian Nightmare" my first combo video, and wasn't all that impressed. I didn't get it yet.

Eventually everyone in the group caught on; we got better slowly, and everyone started branching out, picking characters and stuff. Hell I think I went through half the roster as "mains" at one point or another. I only got to attend two tourneys ever.. One being small time stuff in conn, and the other being the latest (and potentially last) ESTICLE, where I fought hard and got beat all the same. That tournament was so much fun that it's kept me going on this game since. My crew still plays melee, and hopefully there's enough people in the world who do that there can still be competition. It's a game that even shaped the way I thought; mindgames in melee taught me strategies that I use in athletic competition, and even in everyday interactions with people, trying to understand what people are really thinking. It sounds farfetched, but it came from this.

Melee for life.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
They are all great storyes

My story is basically: I ssaw SSB64 in a Expo here in Seville. Then bought it, then bought melee, a year ago, some people in my association tell me about ATs and i learned them. I was such a Scrub. Then started to train to the national spanish tournamen and i realized how scrub i was. I have changed since the and i happy of this.

(Mayb i will get this larger another time)

Geist

Smash Master
Well my story isn't epic like alot of people's were.

But basically it helped me burst through the ceiling of scrubdom and banish the ignorance and contempt within my old self.
I also met tons of awesome people who were a great inspiration for alot of things.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Mine isn't either. Playing competitive Smash makes me feel like I belong somewhere. It has raised my confidence level. I was able to meet and bond with friends through Melee. It gave me an outlet. I found "MY game." Sure, people can claim that I have "no life," but Melee has helped change it.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
This topic is one for the books. Possibly the greatest, most heart-felt, thread on smashboards.

I'm actually upset that I didn't find smashboards earlier. I smashed a lot before with a close friend of mine, but during this time I didn't have a computer, and there for, I didn't have internet. Until around 2005, I read about an article about competitive melee in Nintendo Power which nearly made my soil my pants. From an extremely general description of wavedashing (jump and shield basically.), I was able to teach myself this. For nearly a year, I was smashing during a prime time of melee's competitive life, and I had no idea about smashboards or about the competitive smash scene in my community. I really regret not having a computer back then. D=

I'm saddens me that i've already been playing smash competitively for what has been almost 3 years now. My parents are already discouraging me from playing video games now as i'm heading out to university next year. Either way, i'll try my best to stay with it. It isn't even about the game anymore, it's about the community. I've made so many close friends that I wouldn't have met otherwise. It led me away from drinking, smoking and drugs and all that gross stuff. I really appreciate melee for this.

Lest we never forget, Melee will never fade away from our lives.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I've been playing Smash since 64's release, but it all changed in 2005, when I read about SWF in Nintendo Power. I decided to look at it, and I read about some stuff. I could kinda wavedash, but couldn't use it.

A year later, I revisited SWF. Youtube and other video streaming sites had just popped up, and Smash vids could now be viewed without having to download each match. Then Wak released his Advanced How to Play video, and I could finally visualize all these advanced techs. My friends and I learned it a little, but our game was weak.

This summer, after months of Brawl-only play, we popped in Melee for kicks. Oh man, oh man. It was amazing. We could barely move (even rolling felt harder), but we loved it. We all put time in to improving, and then we went to our first tourney. We got rocked, but immediately we started playing better. It was as if we had our eyes opened to certain tactics that we'd never thought of. We move better now, punish harder, and just play better. I finally invested time in Falco, and my crew is playing the best Smash we've ever played.

I've tried to play Brawl again, even Brawl+, but it's just so boring. I feel more rewarded after losing in Melee than after winning in Brawl. Luckily, Melee is having a comeback. I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two, Melee is back on top.

EDIT: It would appear that I used my 1700th post in a good place.

EDIT:
Playing competitive Smash makes me feel like I belong somewhere. It has raised my confidence level. I was able to meet and bond with friends through Melee. It gave me an outlet. I found "MY game." Sure, people can claim that I have "no life," but Melee has helped change it.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I'm able to talk about Melee with one of my friends for hours, discussing various matchups and videos.

There's a stigma around "competitive gaming," sure, but it doesn't matter. It's a sport like any other. When you decide to play Melee (or any other game) competitively, you make a commitment to keep trying and practicing until you become the best, even if it never happens. We all, as competitive Smashers, walk a road of constant self-improvement, and I think we're all the better for it.

---
Random note: Oddly, I've found SWF to have the most intelligent posters per capita of any forum I've visited. Sure, there are a lot of annoying noobs (**** you, Brawl), but there are plenty of people who can write coherently.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
i regret never being able to play mlg in 05 and 06
i was 11 and 12 >.>
thats why you should make up for lost time by brawl, its still smash. u guys could john about this post if you want but just so u know brawl is the next mlg game :)

thats why you should make up for lost time by brawl, its still smash. u guys could john about this post if you want but just so u know brawl is the next mlg game :)
Here's my response: I'd rather play a quality game than a popular game.

69th post, by the way.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Here's my response: I'd rather play a quality game than a popular game.
Exactly the dilemma I've had. I got into smash late, and I LOVE 64, and am starting Melee after getting good at 64.

I've also played a lot of Brawl, and I'm decent. It's a fun game. But... after playing a TON of 64 in the past month, I've felt absolutely zero urge to pick up and play Brawl again. The "need" is gone. And it's quite present for 64 and Melee.

Now this pisses me off, because I'll never be able to go back in time and get into smash back when the scene was growing for the two smash games that are pure quality. And instead, if I want to have a lot of people to smash with, I have to get good at Brawl. I started doing that by hosting little smash sessions and playing new people, I have fun playing people in Brawl no question. But it's just not anywhere near the other games, and I already feel kind of tired of it.

So I finally decided what you said. I'd rather play a quality game than a popular one. And all the time I split between Brawl and 64, I now devote to 64. I play people in real life and I play the best opponents online. Smash64 online with a controller - it rocks. Because I'm not in a tournament-heavy place nor do I know any tourney-quality opponents in Brawl (well, maybe one or two). So I'm going to play and get **** good at the game I love.

Now I realized I should change my sig to have the proper characters... it was made at a time of Brawl love

Oracle

Smash Master
Too bad that brawl is pretty uncompetitive and due to its boringness, everyone will eventually abandon it.

Basically, to put it in terms that your tiny, pathetic barlw mind to understand
Melee is a fighting game
Brawl is a party game.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
I went back and read earlier posts. Eggm's story was great, and how he managed to place well in early tourneys without even playing is a funny thing. Indeed, the playstyles have become gayer and gayer as it evolves.

But I noticed people keep saying "Go down with Melee as it dies!" So I'll just say, since in my experience, a very dedicated bunch are still keeping 64 hanging (and some even hosting tourneys)...

GUYS - MELEE WILL ONLY DIE IF YOU LET IT. KEEP IT GOING, KEEP IT ALIVE.

Also if Melee somehow gets a reliable way to play online, say, emulators with online capabilities in the next few years (Gamecube emulation is VERY rudimentary at the moment and basically unplayable), plug that Gamecube to USB adapter in and the game's lifespan will increase tenfold.

Top Bottom