• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MD/VA Power Rankings: Updated 8/14/12

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master
I think in the summer time the brawl Md/Va scene will pick up again. Well more the Md scene. Md/Va might as well split up at this point to just Md because only Va folk left are like June, Boss (Doesn't enter singles), Korn (Rarely comes), Sova, and some other fredericksberg peepz.
cuz tourney get pretty boring around here.. for some reason

Most people complaining either aren't that good and give up or never ventured out of state much to experience other **** I guess. This region is just wack sometimes, least some new heads make an effort. Either way, ride it till them wheels fall off, least VG and some others still have a competitive spirit.

I suck and I still like playing, dat addiction.
prop for PS and Lie for being very active and keep getting better

...but mdva tourneys are so boring now.. zzz... :embarrass:

yeah I suck, so what lol..

Coney

Smash Master
Whats the difference between now and back in decemeber? lol
'xactly

this community goes through phases, seems like. summer will probably go back up in the summer, i'd hope. saying it's dying or is on its way out is pretty premature though, considering we've been having periods of stagnation and peaks of activity intermittently throughout the year

then again, last season was slow, this season is slow...might be indicative of something, but hold your breath fellas

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
last season we had two 50 plus tournaments though. Not too shabby if you ask me

Coney

Smash Master
tru tru

i think it depends a lot on perspective; last season was slow, but since i was so active it seemed to me that it was thriving and growing, what with the new faces and all. this season is slow, and since i'm inactive i get a sense of dread, as if things are going downhill. same situation, different perspective.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
I think it's the newer games that are grabbing the "md/va" Scene's Eyes, I mean, I play brawl.. but Im more into MVC3 now. As well as I might get into LoL, since everyone is playing it. SCII also seems to be taking people in. Pretty sure that no one here is gonna play mk9 lol. Beside's Speed cause he's been ****ing riding that game ever since kratos and Cyber Sub zero where announced.

Edit: It might revive during summer, aka free time for some School people.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
I'm pretty content with a "local" and a "regional" tournament a month, spread bi-weekly.

I would expect less attendance rates with the way gas is going anyway. Hobbies shouldn't you cost you that much money.

Aposl

Smash Ace
lol at noid's last sentence. Who cares about what any of you have to say unless you take action, if you think the scene is dying i dont wanna see your face at a tourney, if you think its not, then help support more tournaments, but personal actions not lining up with your pov stated here is hypocritical bull dookey.

Basically less *****ing more action!

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
hmm kinda disappointing to hear that this scene is "dead". Was hoping to play many of you during the summer.

I always get the feeling that a lot of you dislike me for whatever reason though, so I'm not sure if my appearance will make much of a difference.

Regardless, I'm hoping this scene will be live this summer. This was the scene that first encouraged me to pick up ddd (inspired by chillins ddd in 08) so I know it has potential.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
lol at noid's last sentence. Who cares about what any of you have to say unless you take action, if you think the scene is dying i dont wanna see your face at a tourney, if you think its not, then help support more tournaments, but personal actions not lining up with your pov stated here is hypocritical bull dookey.

Basically less *****ing more action!
u can attend tournaments and feel like the scene is dying. you shut your mouth wang chung

ive been complaining about the scene dying for the past few months and i've still been attending tournies. im takin action so listen to what i say before i **** you with Falco

Aposl

Smash Ace
omni my post wasn't directed at you it was directed at everyone who fit the qualifications specified in my post, uhh... duh.

And your falco doesn't **** me, it does how a falco should do in that match up XD!

junebug

Smash Journeyman
this region ain't dead. its players are just getting worse and worse attitudes about the game. :p i don't wanna call anyone out though.

i still like playing the game. now that its break, i should be playin a little more. if anyone wants to join me, feel free.

Coney

Smash Master
i, too, think callouts would be just dandy, so long as people don't get their jimmies rustled or anything

if nothing else, it could spark a dialogue as to why certain people feel the way they do

junebug

Smash Journeyman
hmmm... i'll keep it general. i'll start with a couple.

people who only play for x. x being a random factor. money, respect, goals, etc. they get x and they're happy. then when they don't get it wtf? why are you extrinsically motivated to play a videogame? is it really not that fun to you? if you really feel that way, then you need a new outlook on smash. its disappointing really.

i like playing this game. i get mad at times but not at the game, i get mad at myself for not playing well. people who blame the game when they lose... people who say 'oh, i only play doubles cause doubles is the only good thing about this game herpderpderp'... ugh. seriously?

i love it when new players show up. they're so open. they're so willing to learn. a lot of people in this region plateau and then blame the game when they can't improve. or they say 'WELP THIS IS AS GOOD AS IM GONNA GET'. loldo you know how much stuff there is to learn?

i remember talking to chu a while back. he blamed his age for his performance. i laughed. there is no plateau. if people want me to, i can POINT things out in nearly everyone in MD/VAs playstyle they can improve on. and i'm sure other people can do the same for me. everyone has something they're good at. kaffei was telling me some things in a car ride about MK; i was amazed about the stuff he knew. and i took note.

other scenes are still going strong becaause they don't give up. they consistently get better. and they are intrinsically motivated to play the game.

my 2 cents. rant away. i'm aight at expressing my thoughts via typing.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace

people who only play for x. x being a random factor. money, respect, goals, etc. they get x and they're happy. then when they don't get it wtf? why are you extrinsically motivated to play a videogame? is it really not that fun to you? if you really feel that way, then you need a new outlook on smash. its disappointing really.

i like playing this game. i get mad at times but not at the game, i get mad at myself for not playing well. people who blame the game when they lose... people who say 'oh, i only play doubles cause doubles is the only good thing about this game herpderpderp'... ugh. seriously?

i love it when new players show up. they're so open. they're so willing to learn. a lot of people in this region plateau and then blame the game when they can't improve. or they say 'WELP THIS IS AS GOOD AS IM GONNA GET'. loldo you know how much stuff there is to learn?

i remember talking to chu a while back. he blamed his age for his performance. i laughed. there is no plateau. if people want me to, i can POINT things out in nearly everyone in MD/VAs playstyle they can improve on. and i'm sure other people can do the same for me. everyone has something they're good at. kaffei was telling me some things in a car ride about MK; i was amazed about the stuff he knew. and i took note.

other scenes are still going strong becaause they don't give up. they consistently get better. and they are intrinsically motivated to play the game.

I <3 this post. I hope I never lose that x. x to me being learning new stuff about this game. Hell, the video Mr. Doom made on smash DI changed more about this game for me than I could've even imagined. Coney was right; it's all about perspective.

P.S. SoVA's been "dead" for 2 years...

forute

Smash Ace
though by extension of that logic we arguably shouldn't really be playing tournaments in the first place but should instead just be having fests. tournaments themselves are almost exclusively extrinsic to video games and are for the most part only vaguely connected through a sometimes present theme of competition--some games, such as brawl, are even designed with pretty much the opposite in mind. it isn't meant to be played this way but we do anyway.

regardless, there's nothing inherently wrong with the fact that we did/do/will. there are extrinsic motivations everywhere in life. for example, most people don't go to school to learn. as long as they're playing the game by their own choice, i think that's enough, because they're obviously getting (or trying to get) something out of it! our actions are an attempt at coping with the world around us, so live and let live, friend! let 'em quit if they're not having enough fun!

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
We won't die

ATHF will continue to survive, and as long as we do the community can keep living

June couldn't have spoke truer words. EE, Gull, Tiger, June and I (ATHF) play the game because we love it. We spend time working on training and getting better. It doesn't show very often on my part but phil beating lie and gull beating gimr/logic/will and june ****** are signs that we haven't given up and won't.

I'm headed to June's today for practice and training. I suggest everyone else get with training partners and start working on their styles and characters. If you don't love the game for what it is, then leave it behind and play something else. I feel like if you're doing something without your heart in it then you are wasting your time when you could be doing other things that are your passion. I've been practicing with ATHF (Gull, June, EE) and soon NOID since he's so close by.

I just recently got a gf, got more projects at work to lead, and more student leadership duties and I've still found time to work at it. No jones for anyone.

Also, I'm currently working on a project with someone that might get us a pretty sick venue for a day for a tournament in this area. I'll keep everyone informed.

junebug

Smash Journeyman
though by extension of that logic we arguably shouldn't really be playing tournaments in the first place but should instead just be having fests. tournaments themselves are almost exclusively extrinsic to video games and are for the most part only vaguely connected through a sometimes present theme of competition--some games, such as brawl, are even designed with pretty much the opposite in mind. it isn't meant to be played this way but we do anyway.

regardless, there's nothing inherently wrong with the fact that we did/do/will. there are extrinsic motivations everywhere in life. for example, most people don't go to school to learn. as long as they're playing the game by their own choice, i think that's enough, because they're obviously getting (or trying to get) something out of it! our actions are an attempt at coping with the world around us, so live and let live, friend! let 'em quit if they're not having enough fun!
meh tournies are for competition. fests are a great way to get better though. you often learn a lot and have fun. then when tourney time comes, you have more fun cause of what happened at the fest. competition is a way of life. saying brawl is not competitive is a lame argument. look at the tournaments section. look at the rules designed for it. we made it competitive.

i mean, if someone's extrinsically motivated, there's nothing wrong with that. i just assumed people were like me in that they want to be happy. i'd hate pursuing something that i had no real interest in. extrinsic motivation but with small-time jobs, this often becomes the case. you work for money. but most people's extrinsic motivations are ways to work towards goals. you go to school to find out more about yourself and what you want to do. as life progresses, we do work and gradually drift closer to what we want. i still don't know what i'm going to do when i grow up. hopefully its something i'll enjoy for years to come. in brawl, i guess it doesn't really pay off. you play for money? why not get a job? you play to beat x? that's kinda creepy. you play to gain respect? alright, but there are better ways of doing it. video games are for fun, the fact that people need something else to motivate to play is kinda lame.

but i do agree with that last part. if you're not having fun, then its best you quit. but just give the game a chance, eh?

Lobos

Smash Master
I think when he said this he was probably referring to time he can spend actually playing the game, because lets face it, the oldheads can't spend nearly as much time playing
I'm a prime example of this lol

or I am spending more time on FPS/TPS games since ps3/pc > wii

forute

Smash Ace
meh tournies are for competition. fests are a great way to get better though. you often learn a lot and have fun. then when tourney time comes, you have more fun cause of what happened at the fest. competition is a way of life. saying brawl is not competitive is a lame argument. look at the tournaments section. look at the rules designed for it. we made it competitive.

i mean, if someone's extrinsically motivated, there's nothing wrong with that. i just assumed people were like me in that they want to be happy. i'd hate pursuing something that i had no real interest in. extrinsic motivation but with small-time jobs, this often becomes the case. you work for money. but most people's extrinsic motivations are ways to work towards goals. you go to school to find out more about yourself and what you want to do. as life progresses, we do work and gradually drift closer to what we want. i still don't know what i'm going to do when i grow up. hopefully its something i'll enjoy for years to come. in brawl, i guess it doesn't really pay off. you play for money? why not get a job? you play to beat x? that's kinda creepy. you play to gain respect? alright, but there are better ways of doing it. video games are for fun, the fact that people need something else to motivate to play is kinda lame.

but i do agree with that last part. if you're not having fun, then its best you quit. but just give the game a chance, eh?
i'm not saying brawl's not competitive, just that it was designed not to be, therefor playing it for competition is, itself, extrinsic to the game; we're a bunch of people who took something and made it into something different because we find that fun. but obviously i don't have a problem with that notion lol

i think that the important thing to consider is that no matter what somebody's motivation for playing the game is, intrinsic or extrinsic, conscious or subconscious, the motivation behind that motivation is most likely happiness/fun. even if they don't directly enjoy the game, they're still trying to indirectly achieve some degree of enjoyment out of it even if it's by another means such as competition. maybe extrinsic motivation x is perhaps a bit unorthodox in some people or they could better emulate that stimulation elsewhere, but most likely they're just tryin'a feel good like everyone else! i do think people who actively complain about the game aren't really contributing to anything except their own self-indulgence, not that i would know if people are doing that for obvious reasons, but as long as everyone's playing nice then i think people can pick their motivation of choice and go wild even if they don't like the actual game

Coney

Smash Master
i get what you're saying june, but understand people have highly unique and contextual goals. my goal was always just to go as far as i could--to be truthful, not sure how much further i can realistically push myself. the only thing left, really, is for me to win a national, and lol @ that

i have fun playing smash, but i have fun on a higher level when i'm achieving and accomplishing while playing it. playing the game itself just for playing the game itself isn't as rewarding--i mean, hell, isn't that why we're competing anyway?

Kaffei

Smash Hero

dammit I didn't know I was talking so much LOL
june i wanna go to ur house and play. i must play pro ppl!

and idk when i like a character i just wanna know everything about him. that's why i emulate and look up to m2k (well the old m2k) because he practiced tech skill, knew his frame data, knew his options and didn't drop gimps. if you watch him in melee he is like this especially.

i was mad earlier at brawl cus i clicked 4 results threads and all of them were mk but i guess i should have a more positive attitude and step up my game too cus being booty sux lol

Top Bottom