• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Application Process is Closed

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
going to personally advocate for Raph's inclusion in the MBR

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Don't worry bing, we'll **** them all in future tournaments and they'll regret everything.

We was actually serious in my application and then a few people trolled with their application.

#website logic.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I know you was. I appreciate your honesty, you to bing. I was talking about the application right after mines.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I really can't believe people who come in here and make joke applications. Honestly, those guys have no respect for the MBR. They should be forced to dress up as teenage anime girls and sing in high pitched voices.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Funnily enough, I have a lot of tea sets, and some competition grade chinese tea.

For those of you that don't know much about tea, think of teabags as a Lv1 CPU. What I have is like the PP of tea.

The Star King

Smash Hero
PP of tea.

Not the most charming phrase.

I would do a joke application if it wasn't so mainstream :troll:

Kal

Smash Champion
I really can't believe people who come in here and make joke applications. Honestly, those guys have no respect for the MBR. They should be forced to dress up as teenage anime girls and sing in high pitched voices.
Already got the song picked out for this.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Smashboards Username: Tafokints
Region: Pac West, Norcal
Primary Character(s): Sheik
Secondary Character(s):

REQUIRED

1. Q. How long have you been playing competitive melee?
A. Roughly since 2007. I attended a handful of tournaments in 2004-2006, but started getting more involved in 2007 with the UCLA Revival Series

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. I attend tournaments roughly 1-2 times per month. I help run many local tournaments for Norcal and am also a panelist for the norcal rankings. I frequently play in local smash fests with top players. For the regional scene, I talk with Socal and Washington regularly and updated on the scene. For the national scene, I have went to Apex 2012, P5, P4, Genesis and have a good gauge on who’s on top of the metagame

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A.I would classify myself as high level (currently #7 in norcal rankings). I have had solid performances over the past couple of years and have typically done well at regionals

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A.Yes, I am very communicative and informative in decision making and discussions. To name a few, I believe Hyuga, Scar, PockyD, HMW would support me as a MBR

5. Q. Do you consider yourself a discussion leader? Why?
A.Yes, I take initiative in getting things done and will coordinate to see things taken care of. Additionally, I try to make sure that most people get a chance at voicing their own opinion and get a fair say before I make policy changes

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. I am an active TO. I have run many of the “Campbell” tournaments for the past year that typically have 15-30 players.

7. Q. Do you feel that the current tier list is accurate? Why?
A.I feel that SSBM, despite being ~10 years old, has much more to be discovered. It is correct to a degree, but I have put less weight on the tier list over recent years. People aren’t going to be familiar with every matchup, so we’ll have surprises from time to time (Axe’s Pikachu, Hbox’s ness, etc…), so this will inevitably skew tournament results.

8. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended stage list is fair? Why?
A.It’s reasonable and balanced. Most players haven’t complained over the ruleset in the past year. It accommodates to almost all the characters fairly. Usually when a person loses a set, it won’t be because of something fluky of the stage conditions (cars, klap-traps, etc…)
9. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended rule set is fair? Why?
A.I think it’s fair. I would hope that more tournaments would adopt a BO5 if there are no time constraints. It was done at NW Manifest and ultimately led to less variance. It’s been done in Europe for a while and I hope it popularizes here in the US

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?
A. For me, I value strategy because I’ve always loved the “mind games” aspect of competitive gaming. If I were going to train a new player, I’d recommend Tech Skill because there is a high minimum threshold of tech skill that is required to be competitive in melee. Fortunately, I came early into Melee and gradually learned many techniques. However, I’ve been able to lean back on out-witting my opponents for a long time, and, as a result, my tech skill is terrible

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. Initiating punishments will always have a higher precedence for me. Combos and follow-ups can be learned through repetition and practice. Initiating punishments is honestly a lost art in melee. Mainly, people have adopted a “safe” mindset in which people are looking to protect themselves as opposed to actively looking for openings. If you can’t initiate a punishment consistently, then you will inevitably reach a ceiling against players who aren’t making mistakes.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. Melee will always have a timeless legacy factor similar to 3rd strike and SSF2T in the traditional fighting game community. I’m not sure how active it will be with SSB4 down the line. However, Melee has survived through Brawl, so I think it still has a few more years down the line

13. Q. What do you think could be done to expand our community?
A.The live streams are a great asset to bringing in outsiders. However, there is very little community follow up and it’s hard for a new player to improve unless he/she has a really strong drive to play and improve. Other communities have online play or arcades to regularly establish a player base for newer players. Melee does not have that luxury and I think we need to encourage the already-existing community to invite newer tournament players to smashfests and other events that are going on.

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stimulate the community?
A. Weekly pod-casts. Interesting and consistent blog posts that people can read would help. Teamliquid, GSL, have interviews with top players and blog posts discussing strategy that are very interesting to me even though I don’t even play that much. If we could get a blog-style site going up that summarizes weekly results around the US, insight from top players, and strategy articles, it will generate much more players

15. Q. How do you think the MBR would benefit from your input?
A. I’m not afraid to share my opinions and I have been active in the community for over 5 years and lurking for another 4 since the early MLG days. I put much thought into giving feedback and also how to improve the community. Many will simply complain about short-comings of a community, but I also aim to figure out solutions

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.
1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=129276
i. Description:Sheik F-smash
2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=14378436#post14378436
i. Description: General Sheik Advice
3. Link: : http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=14382929#post14382929
i. Description:Mid-range approaches with Sheik vs Fox

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player: KirbyKaze
i. Reason: Very informative and thoughtful posts on specific aspects of sheik
2. Player: S2J
i. Reason: Although vulgar, he’s been a constant beacon for many falcon players. I admire his dedication to the Falcon boards

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: I think it’s great and defines much of competitive gaming. For me, it’s helped me greatly in the sense of getting rid of “scrub mindsets” such as simply calling things “cheap” instead of looking for ways to get past my opponent’s schemes.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS:

silentSWAG

Smash Lord
Smashboards Username: Silentswag
Region: west PA
Primary Character(s): Sheik
Secondary Character(s): Fox

REQUIRED

1. Q. How long have you been playing competitive melee?
A. about 3 years ago when my brother started beating me
2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. yeah, i attend about 1-2 tourneys a month. i know everyone in my region and i play with them like everyday. i always go to the regionals. and ive been to all the nationals on the east coast

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. i think im on the highish level play, i never like to be cocky or anything but i do play this game alot, its like my religion

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. sure. i think ive been proven to be pretty decent in pittsburgh. we got a few good players that would agree

5. Q. Do you consider yourself a discussion leader? Why?
A. yeah sure. i think i would be pretty alright at it

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. i am not a TO simply because im 15 years old. although my region holds tourneys all the time. and im always there contributing, and helping. my brother does it twice a year, and my friends have held some too

7. Q. Do you feel that the current tier list is accurate? Why?
A. this is a discussion that has alot to talk about.
i think that it is fair but not excellent. jiggly needs to be lower just a lil, but in all i think the top tier is too arguably even. like fox falco sheik do so well overall that i think judgement on the induvidual match ups with each other make fox + falco better than sheik. ugh this would need alot of work with matchups on stages and stuff. man if we had all this information we could surely figure it out. which i bet you do... which you guys probably will

8. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended stage list is fair? Why?
A. absolutely, the game needs all the possible stages we can get. the metagame is much better this way

9. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended rule set is fair? Why?
A. yep. idk if the time limit discussion has been to be 7 or whatever, but i do think the reasons to time people out are influencing the meta game.

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?
A. strategy, tech skill is important when you first learn but after you got it all down and when i mean it all i mean every little thing, but anyways, once you learn the tech skill thats when the tactics and strategy forms at its full potential. and in most of the strategy is real simple until your competition finds a solution then you work in that circle

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. the first hit thing, because its mostly about your preparation to the big combos. and if you do it right your first hit should turn into a death. if you know what i mean? i think i may be hard to follow...

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. i dont think so.. its old, but once you start playing at a competitive level its real hard to quit. if this game opens up from project m or something. it will be very popular

13. Q. What do you think could be done to expand our community?
A. like i said, the whole creation of project m is great. if it gets as big as a new game it will have as big of a community as brawl. and the brawl community is huge, witch all the new people learning it . which would be great for pm and even melee

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stimulate the community?
A. make bigger tourneys with alot of better sponsors. i think we all now this game could get a good sponsor. this game is just to complex and great for it to die

15. Q. How do you think the MBR would benefit from your input?
A. idk, i think about stuff alot especially melee. so i hope i could be helpful and elaborate on discussions with you guys

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.
1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=300181
i. Description: my brother hosted this. he did an earlier one for his senior project. which i contributed for.. o i dont think you guys want 5 examples of me helping other people but i guess it couldn't hurt me
2. Link:
i. Description:
3. Link:
i. Description:
4. Link:
i. Description:
5. Link:
i. Description:

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player: dr peepee
i. Reason: omg, he has the best thread ever. he is the only player that contributes so hard with all of his experiences and stuff. everyone could learn alot from him
2. Player: armada
i. Reason: he is the only person that respects everything so much. he has such a nice positive answer to any questions he answers. and he has won alot of national tourneys
3. Player: juggleguy
i. Reason: he hold so many fantastic tourneys that ive attended. he creates that cool thread about the year. and he cares so deeply about the community really a great person for the job. as a TO ofcourse.

im not sure if i can list another but i wana give a shout out to tec 0 for himslef being a moderator that has to deal with all the infractions and thing he has to give people. actually shout out to any mod

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: okay, so after seeing what this article is about makes me so anxious to read it... ive been discovering what he has been saying for a while now. ive only read about a parragragh or 2 and i think i all ready know where its going. actually i have a quote that ive been think about for a while now and actually have been trying to demostrate it in my play, here;

"everyone can’t be the best. Challenge yourself to defeat yourself. That way, competition will stare at you fighting, instead of paying attention to what they’re doing. And then, everybody will look at you and see your true potential. You’ll then be the best, without trying to be the bes" - mickey factz

well im very interested in this whole theory and would love to read some time. but im too tired right now... its very late and hopefully will be able to discuss this more

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS:
i really thought i didnt have a chance with this thing but i do play this game every day and im 15 so i have all the time in the world to, so why not. anyway i hope who ever reads this had fun putting up with all my thinking loool

Top Bottom