• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Application Process is Closed

Tero.

Smash Champion
Smashboards Username: Tero
Region: Germany, Europe
Primary Character(s): Fox, Marth
Secondary Character(s): Sheik

REQUIRED

1. Q. How long have you been playing competitive melee?
A. Started late 2006 after watching MTV True Life "I'm a professional gamer" with KillaOR

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. I had a smash break for about 1 year (because of university), luckily there weren't any german tournaments in that period. Apart from that I've been to every national tournament since 07, plus tons of smashfests/regional events all over germany.
My hometown is basically the center of our regional scene, mostly because of my smashfests/monthlies.
Talking about international events: Since 08 I've been to tournaments in Switzerland, Italy, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and France (a couple of times) - so yeah I'm pretty familiar with the international scene and most of the players know me.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. Average.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. In fact I know they would. I've used to be a member of the Melee and (sadly) the Brawl Back Room (shame on me). Also I've been leader of both Melee and Brawl Back Room on the german board (including Switerland, Austria and Luxemburg) and I'm positive the common sense is that I did a really good job.

5. Q. Do you consider yourself a discussion leader? Why?
A. Haha yeah. If the old MBR topics are still there you could have a look at the last Tier List discussion. I've always been anxious to advance discussion or conclude them if the topic is done.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. Yeah I am. I've hosted tons of smashfests, monthlies and tournaments (including Smash Royale - awarded best international event in Europe 2008 by almost all attendants) in my hometown. I've also co-hosted/organized almost every national event in germany.
Plus I'm organizing a large scale european tournament in 2013: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324503

7. Q. Do you feel that the current tier list is accurate? Why?
A. I've been part of the discussion. So yeah ofc I do.
Personally I'd rather group some characters and drop Jigglypuff a spot, but that's ok because the list is metagame dependent and Hbox/Mango where dominating that period (so Peach probably gonna rise a bit in the next one).

8. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended stage list is fair? Why?
A. The stage list should reflect the current metagame so yeah it's good apart from JUNGLE JAPES in doubles. What were you thinking? I don't really get it: the current trend is to ban as much stages as possible so only the most neutral ones remain (see singles list) and yet you allow JUNGLE JAPES?
This needs some discussion!

9. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended rule set is fair? Why?
A. We're testing a different modification of DSR in germany at the moment (induced by complaints on the current one by various top players such as Armada) and I'd really like to hear what you guys think of it.
Also I think there should be some more discussion about combinations of bans/dsr
(bans+/dsr-; bans-/dsr+, bans-;dsr-)

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?
A. None. Or rather: both
You'll get outsmarted if you're playing merely technical and the best strategy is useless if you're not able to execute it.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. Same as above. Top level play consists of both - no combos without first hit and if you don't take advantage of your first hits and the only thing they're good for is preventing you from getting JV'd.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. The only thing I'm scared of is production stop of gamecube controllers (I read somewhere it has already happened? I hope this isn't true or at least they never get out of stock anytime soon :S)

13. Q. What do you think could be done to expand our community?
A. Actually I think we're on a pretty good way. 2009/2010 I would've said we need to get more professional with recordings/commentary and the like.
Also compiling statistics is a very good thing to achieve this goal and the smash player data base was the ideal tool - I really hope we'll get it back.

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stimulate the community?
A. The MBR could do more to support beginners and mediocre players and I think video guides like the ones Lucien did are perfect.
Also having a goal is the best motivation - ssbpd and the ELO ranking come to mind, even if there was still a lot of work to do.

15. Q. How do you think the MBR would benefit from your input?
A. Last time I've kicked peoples *** if they were lazy (which basically is ALWAYS)

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.

Just look up BR discussions from around 2010 (e.g. tier list discussion)

1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324503
i. Description: MELEE ROYAL - international european tournament in 2013
2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=323364
i. Description: compiling information on marths cg vs spacies
3. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208432
i. Description: information about european countries/communities
4. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=284576

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.

1. Player: Pink Reaper
2. Player: Umbreon
3. Player: KirbyKaze

self-explanatory

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
Smashboards Username: Yakal
Region: Pacific Northwest(Canada)
Primary Character(s): Falco
Secondary Character(s): Fox, Falcon.

A.i've been playing for just under 5 years

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. I attend every tournament in my region (Pacific Northwest)and I have travelled to North California and played many westcoast players there. I will be travelling to melee FC to become more familiar with the players coming from the east and midwest. I am familiar with all the melee greats from around 2006+.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. I classify myself as breaking into high level. I have been able to take sets off some of the best players in my region (Meta, Sion, etc.) and have been travelling to the US where I play with Silentwolf and Bladewise in an effort to improve.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. I definitely believe they would. Not only am I one of the top players in my region but I am also the most active and have been seriously studying melee on my own time regarding matchups, techniques, approaches, etc.

A. Generally, whenever an issue is brought up in my region regarding tournament rules or power rankings, I am at the forefront making sure everyone stays on topic and provide as much positive feedback.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. The most recent tournament I hosted was MITH 4 in B.C. Canada and will be hosting another at the end of August.

A. The current tier list needs some revisions. The bottom half is a mess and people have a misconception that jigglypuff is overpowered. There is a lot I could say about this but I will leave that to if or when I am accepted to the MBR.

A. The current stagelist is something I have been thinking about for a while. I've been playing with an idea of returning to the random stagelist with a few counterpicks. That aside, I feel the MBR did a great job with the current stagelist.

A. Everything is accounted for and there is no reason to question the rules that the MBR has released.

A. You cannot utilize every idea your mind comes up with into a coherent strategy if your fingers are unable to excecute said strategy. Both are necessary in modern melee.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. It's not much of a punish if you can initiate but not follow up. Being able to initiate is important but the follow ups are on the same degree of importance.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. I used to have fears of this and eventually the game will die out but for now I don't feel the game is going anywhere. Street figher 2 is a great example of a game that is decades old but is still strong. Melee will be around for a long time.

A. Advertisement. This is something I feel more TO's and members of the community should be doing. Making flyers and facebook events! I have introduced many of my friends from school into the community and they love it.

A. Polls. Everyone loves to have their opinion heard, the only problem with this is that some people have a bit of trouble keeping their more violent side under control. With polls, everyone gets heard and nobody needs to listen to off topic flaming.

A. It doesn't hurt to have more input and discussion starters. There are a few things I would like to address regarding jigglypuff on the tier list and stagelists. Next to this, I am respectful, reliable, and truly care about this game as I have spent years playing and I want to really start contributing to the community that I have learned so much from.

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player:Flyamanita
i. Reason:Incredibly insightful by providing objective reasoning that I feel is unlike any other poster I have seen. On top of this he is a very pleasant individual on the boards and in person.
2. Player:KirbyKaze
i. Reason:Intelligent and has contributed to not only the sheik metagame but many of characters (i.e. Smash DI'ing fox uair) I feel he is sometimes a tad blunt but it can be necessary to get ones point across.
3. Player:Magus
i. Reason:Frame data, Project M, Hitbox info, the list goes on. Magus has contributed an unprecedented amount to the community and I believe I can speak for everyone when I say Project M is a great success so far and that we are all looking forward to its final release.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: Everything said by Sirlin applied to everything I can, not only smash but my life as well. I feel his theories need to be advertised to every new player and can only help the community.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS:

I realize the MBR isn't exactly short on intelligent members but I have full confidence in myself that the MBR will benefit by having me as part of the team. I also plan on attending more national tournaments to expand my knowledge of melee.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Smashboards Username: Rocky
Region: Sweden, Europe
Primary Character(s): Falcon
Secondary Character(s): Roy, Falco

REQUIRED

A. Since July 2009. Was introduced to the competitive community by running into smashers at conventions.

A. Excepting 4 tournaments, I've attended every single Swedish smash tournament since I began playing. Said tournaments have often been hosted on a monthly basis. Aside from that, I've attended around 15 tournaments of varying sizes in Europe, and I also went to Apex 2012. Earlier this summer, I went on a road trip across Europe where I stayed with different smashers in the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, France, and the UK for over a month. Thanks to that trip, I think my perception of the european community is very good.

A. In the borderline between Average and High Level. I have beaten virtually every player in the Swedish smash community that doesn't belong to the top 6 (Armada, Calle W, Hack, Leffen, Pepito, IVP) and I made it to the top 32 bracket at the last 2 European majors I went to (25th @Beast 2 in Aug 2011, 17th @Smasher's Reunion: Melee Grande in July 2012).

A. As I have a wide knowledge of the European scene and its metagame, I believe my addition to the MBR would be supported by Europe's smashers.

A. On Smashboards, no. However I am looking to become more engaged in discussion should I join the MBR.

A. I am not a TO. However, I often take on the role of an unofficial ATO at tournaments by helping out with setting up and calling matches. I also try to house people coming from abroad to Sweden for smash as my home is conveniently located 10 minutes away from one of the biggest Ryanair Airports in Sweden.

A. I feel that it is mostly accurate as it reflects how frequently most characters are used at a high level, however I do think that the mid tier and below need work.

A. I think the stage list is fair, but it has also grown a bit sterile in singles. Strategy in counterpicking and stage knowledge used to be skills that were much more rewarded back in the day, and I think that stages such as Brinstar, Mute City and Kongo Jungle do not impact the way the game is played. Regarding teams I think more stages such as Corneria, Rainbow Cruise and Onett should be added, as camping and infinite combos are much easier to circumvent in teams. Diversity will only help our metagame, I feel.

A. Yes, I agree with the ruleset as it is now.

A. If I'd absolutely have to pick one, I'd say Tech Skill as sheer reaction speed can get you very far. However, in the metagame of today you need to be both strategic and technical to contend.

A. Maximizing punishments, as from my perspective as a Falcon player, you absolutely need to make the hits you land count. Both are very necessary in today's metagame however, as we're not quite yet at the level where all we need is 1 hit to take a stock 100% of the time.

A. I fear that the game will soon die in some areas due to a lack of engagement to attract new players. However, NPO:s such as the Swedish Brotherhood of Smash are a very good initiative that can potentially make SSBM last another decade.

A. As I began in the above answer, NPO:s are the way to go as they can find organized means to advertise the community.

A. Top- and high level players should generally attempt to be more elaborate and willing to help when lesser players seek aid. A globalized ranking system that incorporates most tournaments, which is what the SSBPD is becoming, would also be good for the community.

A. The MBR would likely benefit from my knowledge of the European scene.

OPTIONAL

1. Player: KirbyKaze
- Often provides aid to players of all skill levels and character and actively partakes in discussions, giving insightful advice and making good points. Along with Dr. Pee Pee, I think he's the player that takes the community most seriously.
2. Player: Dr. PeePee
- See KirbyKaze
3. Player: Unknown522
- Similar to Dr. PeePee and KirbyKaze, but less active on the boards in my experience.

Binx

Smash Master
Smashboards Username: Binx
Region: Oregon
Primary Character(s): Ice Climbers, Fox
Secondary Character(s): Falco, Peach, Pikachu

REQUIRED

A. Over 6 years

A.I try to attend at least one tournament a month, more if there are a lot going on. I also go to a smashfest every week or other week as they are available.

A. I guess I would say I am bordering on high level play, there are many people who are much better than I am but at least locally im in the top 3.

A. Yeah I believe the majority of people in my region would support me for the backroom as I try to be active and helpful for the community.
A. It really depends, I have moods where I am very impassioned and spend a lot of effort and time leading a discussion but more often than not I would prefer to just give input and not necessarily lead the discussion.

A. I've helped run some smaller events to build the community like gamestop tournaments and such in the past and I will tell the beginning players about smashboards and the oregon thread, I've started gaming clubs at my college and invited a ton of people to participate in tournaments. Haven't run anything official though.

A. I feel like the current tier list is very accurate, the only thing I could maybe argue is that it might be time for Falco to be above Fox based on placements of smashers like drpp.

A. I think certain stages lend themselves differently to different match ups and its hard to determine if a stage is "fair". The better player will almost always win with this rule set but the stages also favor the higher tier characters, since for instance Fox and Falco are at a disadvantage on mute city or brinstar. That being said i think the stages are great the way they are.

A. Ruleset is perfect, not much to say here.

A. Tech skill is what lets you use strategy, your possible range of options are limited by your tech skill, so I would say as a beginner it is more important to work on fundamentals so you can take advantage of the opportunities you are given and punish to the maximum ability of your character. But its also important to think about how your opponents move to be able to do that.

A. I used to think initiating, but the better I get the more I realize that getting the most you can out of every connected attack is super important simply because vs good people you don't get a lot of chances to connect. If you can't kill someone everytime you hit them and they can, then they can be half as good at first hits and still beat you.

A. I believe this game will be played until every gamecube controller and game is lost to overuse.

A. We need sponsors, we need active loud people who care to get money infused into the system so that we can get new blood on the scene.

A. Make finding tournaments more accessible.

A. Its hard to tell, I assume that I have different viewpoints on many subjects than others and at the very least could help diversify the mbr.

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.
1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=112141
i. Description: This is currently the most detailed match up guide on SWF in my opinion, I put dozens of hours of work into it.

1. Player: Wobbles
i. Reason: He articulates himself very well, if you read his posts they are consistently lengthy and high quality with a lot of really in depth information that is useful for the higher level player.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: Yes I have read it. I agree with him in principle he gets a little preachy about scrub mentality and I think there are times where we place arbitrary rules on games anyways like banning infinites or stages or characters due to "unfairness" and such that he doesn't really address well.

A much better source of inspiration for competitive disciplines in my opinion would be "The Art of Learning" by Josh Waitzkin.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS: I hope I get the opportunity to join the mbr and help out the community in another way other than what I already do, even if I don't though I will still continue to be excited and supportive of this awesome game.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
sometimes

i like smahs brso

hmm, my application was really awful.

Binx

Smash Master
Thanks man, fixed it. I thought I had gotten all of them, was gonna do all my answers in blue to make it more readable and after the first one they all messed up so I just deleted them, must have missed that one though.

S l o X

Smash Champion
My Application?

Smashboards Username: S l o X
Region: New England & Tristate
Primary Character(s): Fox, Marth, Falco
Secondary Character(s): Falcon, Sheik

REQUIRED

A. I started in 2009, traveling to smashfests and meeting locals who would teach me the basics of the game.

A. I would say I attend two tournaments a month on average, traveling out of CT to MA, NY, NJ and sometimes going out to places like MD/VA. I am very familiar with both my local scene and regional scene right now I would say I’m the only person really pushing it. The national and international scene is a lot less personal and so I would say I am less familiar with them but I do watch all of the videos put out and I keep up with almost every Melee tournament results thread.

A. Ehhh, so many different ways to put this. I would not say I’m average so I’m going to go with high level. I think there are a lot of people in my local scene who are high level who I go even with or am very close in skill with. (th0rn, cort, swiftbass, dazwa etc) I do not have as much experience however as said players.

A. Of course. Everybody in my region knows how hungry I am and how much I love both the game and the community.

A. No, I don’t consider myself a discussion leader but I am always more than willing to participate in any discussion related to melee / the community or pretty much anything.

A. Not yet, I think I will start TOing with Swiftbass for our locals in CT soon though. I contribute to my local scene by pushing smashfests at least twice a week and by helping all local players get better through advice and by helping with what knowledge I have. I also push everyone to attend any tournaments they can.

A. Outside of personal bias I think that it is the best tier list to date and that there is little reason to change the top and bottom parts of it. I do think there could be small changes after enough discussion though.

A. The MBR stage list is as fair as it gets. There will be personal opinions and bias but it IS fair. There are very few reasons to change and I have yet to see real complaints about it. There might be room for change but without proper discussion there is no reason to yet. (on counterpicks) I think neutrals are as good as they will get.

A. I think that the current MBR rule set is fair but could use discussion / identification on wobbling and stalling.

A. Strategy is more important to me but I can see why tech skill would be. You can know everything about Fox v Peach but if you can’t do a good drill shine you are going to get d-smashed every time. They are almost of equal importance and without one you couldn’t maximize how important the other is.

A. First hits are more important to me because my playstyle is almost 100% first hits. It’s how I got “good” at the game. I don’t really know, there is a player who used to be of equal skill and he was really good at combos but he could never get in on me because I was so good at initiating punishments.

A. Yes I believe SSBM has a limited lifespan, partially due to its age and a few other factors like the Wii U not having GC Controller ports and GC controllers eventually being discontinued.

A. Streaming. Streaming can be our main source of expanding our community.

A. Not entirely sure. Eventually lead big discussions that might need the communities opinion? I have a few ideas but nothing amazing.

A. I think my opinion would and knowledge of my local and regional communities input would benefit MBR.
OPTIONAL

1. Player: swiftbass
i. Reason: he’s an oldschool player of VAST knowledge. he taught me the game and helped me get a lot better. although he hasn’t been as motivated lately i know he is more than willing to share his ideas.
2. Player: MIKE BROOKMAN
i. Reason: the guy is too good / smart and his ideas are different. he thinks different. sometimes its a bad thing but most of the time its a good thing, he helps me put things into my own perspective.
3. Player: lovage idk silent wolf? magus
i. Reason: all of them are pretty smart but i dont really know them they just clearly help the community more than other people.

1. Answer: yes. i agree on a lot of things but you need to enjoy yourself / have fun before you can actually play to win. i think they affect and apply to melee because everyone in the community is very competitive and so almost everyone . . . actually everyone could benefit from reading it. i commonly use it as a reference or link it to people whenever it applies. (see: scrub mentality)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS:
yoloswag

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm still teaching him. It's a slow process, since I plan to use Skype to teach him, but he can't get through the menus to accept my friend request yet.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Why read when you can have a computer read everything out loud to you?

That's seriously the only way I was able to make it through high school / university english.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Naw dude. I'm just going to kick everyone out and invite everyone who is in the pro to top pro level of play. F all this application and willingness to contribute nonsense.

WE GOIN ELITIST!

Am I joking? Was that serious? Stay tuned to find out!

:colorful::joyful:*:troll:*:joyful::colorful:

Skler

Smash Master
Naw dude. I'm just going to kick everyone out and invite everyone who is in the pro to top pro level of play. F all this application and willingness to contribute nonsense.

WE GOIN ELITIST!

Am I joking? Was that serious? Stay tuned to find out!

:colorful::joyful:*:troll:*:joyful::colorful:

You did this before and I still made it back in. Your filters are obviously terrible.

As a side note, I still watch that video of you eating a sandwich on an almost daily basis.

Top Bottom