• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread: WHAT TIME IS IT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Please do MK soon!!!
Mk is in two weeks, i wanna fully test out punishing with gfsc headbutt before deciding the matchup. now, do you have something to contribute to the falco discussion? if not, come back in two weeks for metaknight

EDIT:for falcos, brinstar and luigis are your best stages, since it can limit his laser, which is great for you, lylat is pretty good too. also, falco might like japes better, but i wouldn't ban it, just because you can retaliate with some stupid stuff on the stage

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Bigfoot, just wondering, what do you have in mind that you're testing about the gfsc headbutt vs metaknight? Also who is the next character? We've been on Falco for a while.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
He doesn't die easy and if your serious about gettng a smash off when ever you want your wrong lazer stun prevents big hits exept SA punch. Best chance you have is low throw of stage and hope you throw them low enough to edge hog. And seriously Rag...have you played any Pro level Falcos what your explaining is total BS. You would have to predict where he is going to punish and most falco's never let you get close enough to touch them unless they are going to kill you. He's not light so he won't die from a down smash under 110 with good D.I.
Just saying, Falco actually is one of the lighter characters in Brawl.

He's lighter than Zelda.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Bigfoot, just wondering, what do you have in mind that you're testing about the gfsc headbutt vs metaknight? Also who is the next character? We've been on Falco for a while.
next week will probably be wario or lucario (i could do wario because he's a real threat out here, but lucario seems to be much more popular and commonplace)

also, we've been on falco since sunday, this is wensday, next sunday there will be a new character.

and I'm gonna try to get a few matches in with dsf at my next tournament, thats my test

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Meta is too interesting to do this early BF has a good point. I want to do the lucario's those are quite strange to fight.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
YO BF are we moving on I think everyone agreed it's a 6:4 hard 6:4 for him. Lucario makes me interested in how people see him.

ook

Smash Lord
Yeah Lucario always kills me :(

You'd think it'd be alright since DK is strong enough to kill him before his % gets too high, but... nope.
DK gets combo'd across the stage. And he can usually space just enough so that you can't shield grab him. I never beat Lucarios, but maybe the ones I play are just really good lol...

The Lucarios who just spam the little aura balls aren't too much trouble since you can just ftilt through them, but good Lucarios **** DK

it's probably 4:6 or 35:65

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
we'll start lucario on sunday, i'll be coming upwith a big long post explaining the matchup from my veiwpoint (i think dk's got a slight advantage cause of some stuff i've found)

also, wait till sunday because i gotta summarize falco

right now just post random tips about falcos matchup

Irsic

Smash Ace
Against Falco I always CP Lylat. It seems to work pretty well, the stage tilting seems to screw them up a bit, and since Falco's recovery is shot, he's a bit easier to gimp on that stage.

Irsic

Smash Ace
I also thought this was the Diddy Kong forum. Just clicked the topic from the character selection forum. @_@

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Mk is in two weeks, i wanna fully test out punishing with gfsc headbutt before deciding the matchup. now, do you have something to contribute to the falco discussion? if not, come back in two weeks for metaknight
I don't, but since you'll be testing him prior to the discussion, I'd like to tell you that you can SDI out of his Fair before all the hits connect, and use the time to counter attack. So practice SDIing really well before going over the matchup please!

I also thought this was the Diddy Kong forum. Just clicked the topic from the character selection forum. @_@
You double posted, too. **** you fail so hard.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
i already knew about the fair, in fact i've tested some crazier things against metas fair with luigi, but i'll save that for later. you can also break the tornado from inside.

back on to falco, for falco, if ever acts aggressive (VERY unlikely) upb oos destroys all his approaches, but then again, he will never be aggressive.

also, SDI nairs down and away, then punish with an aerial upb

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
something interesting me and my friend tested out the other day was just by looking at DK and falco's attacks

most of DK's attacks come out as fast as falco's do. just the fact that DK's attacks are stronger than falco's is really significant, in close combat DK wins.
the most important part is closing the distance.
even if you take a couple lasers in the face.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
See you'd think it was that easy to approach but in all reality lazer approach stuns most of DK's attacks to stop him from moving or closing with an attack. Falco's grab and pivot grab approaches are insane when combine with double lazer cancel.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
was playing SF4 today, and i thought of something, try ducking under some lasers, falco tends to shoot high

lucky for me the sagat was dumb enough for high tigers over low

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
i havent had much of a chance to play against many good lucarios but hes got some sick*** combos he can pull off on DK and his aerial range is just as good i'd guess, thanks to his aura.

kill quickly! lawlz

Timbers

check me out
it's probably 4:6 or 35:65
Experiment more with Giant Punch, that **** can tear through Luc, as none of our attacks are exceptionally fast to snatch you before your SA frames kick in.

From experience I place it more along the spectrum of neutral, rather than Luc's advantage. Luc's primary game is that he can outspace a lot of characters, while sacrificing some speed in his moves. DK is fast when complimented with the insane range and damage he can dish out, and his bair outranges everything Lucario has in the air, which actually does discourage Luc's airgame as a whole...unless we've forced DK into a vulnerable position.

It's moderately easy to get momentum going with Luc against DK, but until that happens, DK can shut down Lucario more than I'd like to admit, and on the chance that DK takes a stock before Luc can take DK's, DK can live easily to 200, which is just heartbreaking.

I am interested to hear more on what DKs think of this match.

Browny

Smash Hater
:/

Lucarios bair either trades hits with dk bair, or if used while retreating the lingering aura will catch DK every time.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
The only problem I've had with Lucario is letting him survive past 100 because otherwise he begins to do more damage and knockback on his moves. But if you make sure to hit him hard and SA punch the crap out of him at low damage it's really hard for Lucario to kill Dk. Past 100 it's an even matchup, not before since you can F tilt fully charged aura balls under 100. I like using up smash to challenge their Dair, just because punish with up smash is **** against Lucario if your trading hits. Edge guarding is too easy. I don't know I'd say either 5:5 or a hard 6:4. DK's favor, even the smash percent chain grab he has doesn't really do anything for Lucario at low damage. I figure if you kill Lucario at low percent and trade damage your ahead since when he comes back he's not killing as well.

i1337

Smash Ace
DK pwns.

Play an amazing Dk and youll see what i mean and dont let me perfect shield your aura sphere or its over.

Timbers

check me out
:/

Lucarios bair either trades hits with dk bair, or if used while retreating the lingering aura will catch DK every time.
Was already tested. DK's bair outranges Lucario's bair. It's also much faster.

Sure you can bait him by extending his hurtbox, but that's punishable by nearly any move and expecting to make a DK whiff constantly is bad judgement.

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
Lucario is stale bc he doesn't have as many options offensively as dk. approach him w/ bair or f-tilt, wait for the roll and pivot grab. they all play the same. Lucario has to live, so he'll roll, sidestep, w/e he has to in order to get away. Just punish his defensive game. btw Down-B against him when you're in his face is sexy. Most lucario's side step or roll away and get FCKED ~

CBK

Smash Journeyman
He's right and I'd be careful in general to stay too close short hop down air is retarted since it pokes into your shield and like I said under a hundred not that bad. But over 100 that could be a whole lot of pain. Luc's dodge roll is really stupid good in terms of range and invincible frames. Punishing Lucario is not hard, but just don't forget his Fsmash is pretty good range almost as good as DK's range though nowhere near that ammount of power for the most part.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
I'm late and I have no interest in reading what has already been said so....

DK's big and heavy, Lucario likes this and hates this at the same time. You're a big target for the Force Palm chain grab and also fair followups.

On the upside (for you) you kill us really early and have the advantage of a generally better range. Other than that, I don't know much about the matchup, but Lucario can pretty easily edgehog your predictable and somewhat lame recovery, he can also pretty much own you offstage with fair chains and well spaced bairs. Your bair is better than ours though, so abuse it. Uair is good too, but the horizontal range is kinda sickly and probably won't get through anything much. Not sure if it's better than our dair, though i kinda doubt it.

Timbers

check me out
He's right and I'd be careful in general to stay too close short hop down air is retarted since it pokes into your shield and like I said under a hundred not that bad. But over 100 that could be a whole lot of pain. Luc's dodge roll is really stupid good in terms of range and invincible frames. Punishing Lucario is not hard, but just don't forget his Fsmash is pretty good range almost as good as DK's range though nowhere near that ammount of power for the most part.
Correct for the most part. Just keep in mind that as Luc's fsmash isn't as powerful as DK's at most percents, it's also much more difficult to punish.

But plenty of smart players roll behind their opponents. That's what down B is for.
no stop talking

Luigi player

Smash Master
Lucario is after Dedede my hardest matchup with DK.

DK can't get through Lucarios attacks because they have about the same range, but he doesn't extend his hurtbox, so DK will most likely always get hit and the Lucario not so often.

60:40 in Lucarios favour.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Jeez guys sand out of vagg now, look in all honesty DK's hit bot will hit Luc most of the time, even if space right since Dk's aren't really afraid of getting hit it's rather hard to space. The force palm chain grab is only good till like 30 at which point it doesn't really matter DK can hit twice and there we go it's even. As far as up air unless it wiffs completely while Luc dodges it's really hard to punish. Of stage Dk can mash up b and carry Lucario all the way back and if he lands the right way down smash guaranteed since no lag land. I think what makes this in DK's favor is SA punch, too good against projectile ball or space attacks since he jumps right into the force of the hit and punches and kills him because of it. The best Lucario's will play keep away taking minor damage until they are over 100 to do real damage, all you have to worry about is making sure he doesn't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom