• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Rediscussion: Zelda vs Zero Suit Samus

Snakeee

Smash Master
Does any of ZSS aerials out range Zelda's fsmash or beat her usmash?
No, but I'd usually approach with them at a somewhat safe angle where it's harder for Zelda to punish.

This man is a prophet. You see this Zelda players? I don't just pull this s*** out of my ***.

Anyways, really good post Snakee I think you summed up the matchup for the most part. One thing to note in this matchup is that both characters have moves that are safe on block against the other sos the matchup is really........weird. I just feel that ZSS has better options and has to take far fewer risks while she just completely destroys Zelda in the air and offstage. Also, ZSS ***** Farore's with dsmash.
Yay, I was sigged lol. Thanks, and I wouldn't use Farore's much at all unless you really need to.

Yeah, I think I'd agree on 60/40 ZSS

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
No, but I'd usually approach with them at a somewhat safe angle where it's harder for Zelda to punish.
So what like a 45 degree angle or something? But I don't understand how you petty much rule out ZSS ground game. She has to approach at like a 51 degree angle. She can edgeguard Zelda well. But even with you saying all this ZSS has a 60-40 advantage. I'm almost certain if you use dins to edgeguard it because a little different. Seeing as how I don't see too many Zelda's jumping out and trying to dair/fair/bair people. Din's is a lot safer option to edge guard with. So how is it risky to edgeguard ZSS when using Din's?

Snakeee

Smash Master
So what like a 45 degree angle or something? But I don't understand how you petty much rule out ZSS ground game. She has to approach at like a 51 degree angle. She can edgeguard Zelda well. But even with you saying all this ZSS has a 60-40 advantage. I'm almost certain if you use dins to edgeguard it because a little different. Seeing as how I don't see too many Zelda's jumping out and trying to dair/fair/bair people. Din's is a lot safer option to edge guard with. So how is it risky to edgeguard ZSS when using Din's?
Yeah, that's about accurate.

I didn't say Din's was risky for edgeguarding (if you're an appropriate distance away), but that it probably won't hit. It is the safest thing you can attempt, and it's like a "might as well" thing really. ZSS jumps extremely high with Up B boosting so she rarely has to tether unless sent strongly downwards. If she does, a well timed Dins will likely work out.

This is a rare case for Din's being useful though, and it's only because her tether is so stupidly laggy -_-.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Yeah, that's about accurate.

I didn't say Din's was risky for edgeguarding (if you're an appropriate distance away), but that it probably won't hit. It is the safest thing you can attempt, and it's like a "might as well" thing really. ZSS jumps extremely high with Up B boosting so she rarely has to tether unless sent strongly downwards. If she does, a well timed Dins will likely work out.

This is a rare case for Din's being useful though, and it's only because her tether is so stupidly laggy -_-.
I'm not sure if any of ZSS aerials can stop din's. But wouldn't it become problematic for the Zelda to wait for the response to you avoiding din's then punish? I'm not really sure how ZSS attempt to recover you say recover high so you don't have to use a thether. So actually landing safe could be very problematic for ZSS right? Since you already said yourself none of ZSS aerials can beat her upsmash. You don't like to use the thether. So what options does ZSS have to recovery safely from up high? Especially if the Zelda is punishing I'll assume air dodge after it's baited by din's?

Snakeee

Smash Master
I'm not sure if any of ZSS aerials can stop din's. But wouldn't it become problematic for the Zelda to wait for the response to you avoiding din's then punish? I'm not really sure how ZSS attempt to recover you say recover high so you don't have to use a thether. So actually landing safe could be very problematic for ZSS right? Since you already said yourself none of ZSS aerials can beat her upsmash. You don't like to use the thether. So what options does ZSS have to recovery safely from up high? Especially if the Zelda is punishing I'll assume air dodge after it's baited by din's?
You know what? Thinking again on this Din's IS useless here too because ZSS' Up B tether shouldn't be able to be punished by that. It's range is the longest by far of any tether and Zelda can't reach that low from the stage. So as long as ZSS doesn't go for side tethers, Zelda shouldn't be able to do too much at all for edgeguarding against her.

As for landing onto the stage from the air, she can mix things up with down B before landing for one thing, but it's not 100% safe. If Zelda predicts this she can often run and up smash her, but Zelda's speed is a bit of a problem here.
If there are platforms, ZSS is much safer with this.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
You know what? Thinking again on this Din's IS useless here too because ZSS' Up B tether shouldn't be able to be punished by that. It's range is the longest by far of any tether and Zelda can't reach that low from the stage. So as long as ZSS doesn't go for side tethers, Zelda shouldn't be able to do too much at all for edgeguarding against her.

As for landing onto the stage from the air, she can mix things up with down B before landing for one thing, but it's not 100% safe. If Zelda predicts this she can often run and up smash her, but Zelda's speed is a bit of a problem here.
If there are platforms, ZSS is much safer with this.
Ah I see, also I think it depends because the range of Din's starts to get absurd the further it goes so it depends.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
This looks about done then!

So... 65:35 or 60:40. Which is more accurate for this matchup?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
40:60.

ZSS generally has more options and beats Zelda in the air/offstage, but I don't think it's bad enough to be a 35 MU. We can still do some **** to her.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Actually, I was probably being harsh when I said it was 35:65. We can still do some bad stuff to her. I'm changing my vote on the ratio to 40:60.

But whatever you do, you should ALWAYS ban Battlefield against her. Really...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
wow, what a tough matchup. zss is harder to fight than i thought, like when she knows how to space her attacks and attacks often. i just don't know how to deal with it sometimes

and i was using sheik O_o my zelda just got wrecked

i was kinda seeing what sheik can do to put the matchup in her favor but ahh it's still tough against a really good zss player

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Yeah, Ill except 40-60, I just seem to not have as hard of a time as that though :\ The numbers arent important though, its the strategy to go about to win.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I haven't ever played a good ZSS and i'm not a good Zelda but just looking at the movesets, frame data, and character attributes I would still have to go with a 35-65 on this one. Any character that beats Zelda from that mid range area and can zone her fairly safely while having similar kill power, better offstage game, better defensive game, and a better juggling/aerial game......................this matchup looks horrible to me.

That's probably just me though:)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
In this matchup she'll be killing Zelda at about the same percentages that Zelda kills her.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
In this matchup she'll be killing Zelda at about the same percentages that Zelda kills her.
Wut. Unless she catches you with a fresh side-b (in which case you ****ed up your spacing), ZSS isn't exactly a powerhouse.

We may have a hard time landing our KO moves, but in terms of the percentages either character will be be living until, we live longer than she does.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Thats the only thing I disagree with. Zelda has way more kill power, but landing those kill moves is another story.

Im still onboard with 40-60 though
Yeah. Zelda definitely has more raw killing power but considering her most potent moves, Uair, Bair, Fair, should not really be landing often if ever unless ZSS does something very stupid. Also while her tilts can KO they seem to me to be useful in the same situations as her smashes which makes them somewhat redundant.

I think this match is a bit worse than 40:60 although it may or may not be quite bad enough for 65:35. Its splitting hairs anyways. Bottom line is its a moderate advantage for ZSS.

Wut. Unless she catches you with a fresh side-b (in which case you ****ed up your spacing), ZSS isn't exactly a powerhouse.

We may have a hard time landing our KO moves, but in terms of the percentages either character will be be living until, we live longer than she does.
Side B isn't ridiculously hard to hit with. Keep in mind that ZSS doesn't have to hit with the tip. At close it will combo into the second hit which is useful for punishing. Its not easy to hit with but this isn't Dedede's Fsmash we're talking about.

Oh and Dsmash will kill @ about 100 maybe less. If you hit them with Dsmash at 100 the Bair is hitting them at about 125.

And ZSS has better recovery.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Her bair and uair scare me. The range/disjointedness on those moves are insane. I would put those 2 aerials as 2 of the best in the entire game for their range/speed/KO power.

I think her bair outranges Marth's fair iirc

Oh and I know ZSS players don't use plasma whip much anymore but I think that move would be really safe against Zelda. Like the only thing I think I could punish it with would be a dash attack and only if they screwed up the spacing.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Side B isn't ridiculously hard to hit with. Keep in mind that ZSS doesn't have to hit with the tip. At close it will combo into the second hit which is useful for punishing. Its not easy to hit with but this isn't Dedede's Fsmash we're talking about.

Oh and Dsmash will kill @ about 100 maybe less. If you hit them with Dsmash at 100 the Bair is hitting them at about 125.
I've never in my life died by a dsmash combo at 100% unless I was seriously close to the edge of the stage. Dunno what kind of DI people have these days, lol.

Side B is the only move ZSS has that has comparable strength to Zelda's KO moves. I'm well aware that ZSS has better kill setups, but like I said, strictly in terms of the damage at which either character will be dying, Zelda can KO ZSS earlier than ZSS can kill Zelda.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I've never in my life died by a dsmash combo at 100% unless I was seriously close to the edge of the stage. Dunno what kind of DI people have these days, lol.

Side B is the only move ZSS has that has comparable strength to Zelda's KO moves. I'm well aware that ZSS has better kill setups, but like I said, strictly in terms of the damage at which either character will be dying, Zelda can KO ZSS earlier than ZSS can kill Zelda.
Except that ZSS' Bair and down B both have more kill power than side B... And Fair has pretty much equal power to side B.

You're right about Zelda having more KO power overall, but saying that ZSS' side B is her most powerful kill move is wrong.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yeah lol I was pretty sure that bair was more powerful but I wasn't going to point that out cuz I wasn't sure. Oh and I am aware that Zelda has uair/fair/bair but in this matchup(which is what we are discussing), they will both die at about the same percentages.

Oh and you must be able to perform God DI because a fresh ZSS bair will kill at 125%. This is Zelda we're talking about she doesn't even have any good momentum cancellers lol.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Except that ZSS' Bair and down B both have more kill power than side B... And Fair has pretty much equal power to side B.

You're right about Zelda having more KO power overall, but saying that ZSS' side B is her most powerful kill move is wrong.
My mistake, then, if that's true. I admittedly forgot about down b since I don't think I've ever gotten hit by it while grounded, and I didn't know bair was that powerful.

.....Fair, though, really? That one's a bit of a surprise. I'm not 100% sure if I can see that one.

@Mars: My DI with Zelda is pretty **** good. My Zelda's fat, lol.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yea you really should kinda know about the other characters moveset before you talk about it......

I know what we could do! We could combo a short range dins into a lightning kick! Take back what I said about the kill power thing.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Except when I make a mistake, I actually own up to it and admit that I was wrong. :)

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Oh and I know ZSS players don't use plasma whip much anymore but I think that move would be really safe against Zelda. Like the only thing I think I could punish it with would be a dash attack and only if they screwed up the spacing.
That move is way slow so you usually have more than enough time to react to it. Since it probably isn't going to hit anyway it's not a good idea to use it much as there's always a possibility of getting punished, especially if it's powershielded. Zelda might usually not be able to punish it but Zamus still can't really take the risk of eating an running U-smash or something like that.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Fair is only powerful when the second hit connects, and it actually very easy to connect only the 2nd hit after a dsmash. But, it doesnt have the ko power that bair does, I have enough experience vs. ZSS to know that.

That was @Tiger

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Except when I make a mistake, I actually own up to it and admit that I was wrong. :)
The basic gist of what you were saying was right anyway (i.e. Zelda's kill power > ZSS' kill power), so it doesn't matter too much.

BTW, what exactly is Pikachu wearing in your avatar? It's both cute and creepy at the same time.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
40:60.

ZSS generally has more options and beats Zelda in the air/offstage, but I don't think it's bad enough to be a 35 MU. We can still do some **** to her.
If that's the case that can be said for 80% of Zelda's match ups.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
If that's the case that can be said for 80% of Zelda's match ups.
I was actually going to add something like that to the post of mine you quoted, but I didn't want to be too negative, lol. But yeah, the fact that that's how most of her MUs go is the reason why most of her MUs are ratio'd the way they are.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I was actually going to add something like that to the post of mine you quoted, but I didn't want to be too negative, lol. But yeah, the fact that that's how most of her MUs go is the reason why most of her MUs are ratio'd the way they are.
But I don't believe that her weakness which is true against the majority of the cast is a reason as to why she fails against the majority of the cast. Snakee is talking about approaching Zelda from the air at a 28 degree angle. Not using her ground game. No of her aerials being able to beat out her upsmash and if ZSS doesn't approach a 36.2 degree angle then she'd just get swallowed by up smash. Yet the match up is 60-40 because Zelda air game is bad and game be edgeguarded? I call bull.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I honestly am surprised to hear the phrases:
"ZSS must apporach zelda from the air" and "Advantage ZSS" in the same breath.... those two things are normally polar oposites.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Her bair and uair scare me. The range/disjointedness on those moves are insane. I would put those 2 aerials as 2 of the best in the entire game for their range/speed/KO power.

I think her bair outranges Marth's fair iirc

To be honest I barely consider Uair a KO move. Its more useful for juggling so unless ZSS has just been killed it will be too stale to kill with.

And yeah I think Side B spaced right is fairly safe against Zelda. She *may* be able to punish with a running Usmash but thats only if the spacing is really screwed up and the move is PSed (which isn't that hard to do). Dash attack will work but isn't too big of a threat. Personally my use of Side B varies directly with my opponents ability to punish it.

If you're at 100% and you get hit by a Dsmash you're at at 113%. The second Dsmash puts you at 125%. Bair at 125 should kill you on most stages.

But I don't believe that her weakness which is true against the majority of the cast is a reason as to why she fails against the majority of the cast. Snakee is talking about approaching Zelda from the air at a 28 degree angle. Not using her ground game. No of her aerials being able to beat out her upsmash and if ZSS doesn't approach a 36.2 degree angle then she'd just get swallowed by up smash. Yet the match up is 60-40 because Zelda air game is bad and game be edgeguarded? I call bull.
Ok so why would the matchup be in Zelda's favor or even neutral? Because of Usmash? ZSS isn't exactly forced to approach that much in this matchup. If she hovers around mid range Zelda can't use Din's so unless ZSS is behind she really doesn't have to approach. And Zelda's options if she ever needs to approach are far more limited than ZSS'. Does Zelda have one safe approach move? ZSS is also far more manuevarable and therefore has much better abilities to mindgame/feint and try to bait Zelda into an opening. And its not hard to approach with Bair at a safe angle.

Combining that with ZSS' far superior airgame and recovery and I think 40-60 is fair. What does Zelda have in this matchup besides Usmash?

The way I see this matchup is that both players are going to have to be careful and look for an opening or a mistake. But when ZSS has an opening she can do far more with it than Zelda can.

As for stages... How does Zelda do on japes? This is a sort of bad stage for ZSS due to how it messes with her Side B and if seems like Zelda would actually be able to camp here somewhat on the platforms. The only problem for Zelda is the high ceilings.

Frigate is also somewhat good because ZSS can't tether to one side which limits her recovery options especially after a Dsmash.

Other than that I don't know what stages would be good for Zelda besides FD or Sville. Look for ZSS' to use RC, Brinstar, Norfair or other stages that force alot of airplay.

Edit: ZSS also has a very fast Uair for momentum cancelling and can momentum cancel with Down B situationally which helps her survival.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
To be honest I barely consider Uair a KO move. Its more useful for juggling so unless ZSS has just been killed it will be too stale to kill with.

And yeah I think Side B spaced right is fairly safe against Zelda. She *may* be able to punish with a running Usmash but thats only if the spacing is really screwed up and the move is PSed (which isn't that hard to do). Dash attack will work but isn't too big of a threat. Personally my use of Side B varies directly with my opponents ability to punish it.

If you're at 100% and you get hit by a Dsmash you're at at 113%. The second Dsmash puts you at 125%. Bair at 125 should kill you on most stages.

Ok so why would the matchup be in Zelda's favor or even neutral? Because of Usmash? ZSS isn't exactly forced to approach that much in this matchup. If she hovers around mid range Zelda can't use Din's so unless ZSS is behind she really doesn't have to approach. And Zelda's options if she ever needs to approach are far more limited than ZSS'. Does Zelda have one safe approach move? ZSS is also far more manuevarable and therefore has much better abilities to mindgame/feint and try to bait Zelda into an opening. And its not hard to approach with Bair at a safe angle.

Combining that with ZSS' far superior airgame and recovery and I think 40-60 is fair. What does Zelda have in this matchup besides Usmash?

The way I see this matchup is that both players are going to have to be careful and look for an opening or a mistake. But when ZSS has an opening she can do far more with it than Zelda can.

As for stages... How does Zelda do on japes? This is a sort of bad stage for ZSS due to how it messes with her Side B and if seems like Zelda would actually be able to camp here somewhat on the platforms. The only problem for Zelda is the high ceilings.

Frigate is also somewhat good because ZSS can't tether to one side which limits her recovery options especially after a Dsmash.

Other than that I don't know what stages would be good for Zelda besides FD or Sville. Look for ZSS' to use RC, Brinstar, Norfair or other stages that force alot of airplay.

Edit: ZSS also has a very fast Uair for momentum cancelling and can momentum cancel with Down B situationally which helps her survival.

What move are you spacing with from mid range?

Tien2500

Smash Lord
What move are you spacing with from mid range?
If ZSS is ahead (which is very likely if they know how to use the armor well at the beginning) then I don't need to do any moves really. Just hang out and wait for Zelda to approach. But you can use her paralyzer or Side B or down B if you space them correctly. As Mars pointed out bair is safe and if spaced right will knock you out of Usmash. I'm also pretty sure fast falled Nair is safe too.

So if Zelda is behind in this match and needs to approach what does she do?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
If ZSS is ahead (which is very likely if they know how to use the armor well at the beginning) then I don't need to do any moves really. Just hang out and wait for Zelda to approach. But you can use her paralyzer or Side B or down B if you space them correctly. As Mars pointed out bair is safe and if spaced right will knock you out of Usmash. I'm also pretty sure fast falled Nair is safe too.

I'd walk up to you and ftilt or dash to shield or walk to shield.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
She does exactly the same as against anyone else: gets into a fitting range (this can be anything from long to close range depending on who she's facing), tries to keep that range and waits for an opening. Since she doesn't have any reliable approaches this is the only thing she can do.

Top Bottom