• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Discussion - Snake

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Snake

using the same picture as last time :p

Alright guys, let's get this started. Snake and Ice Climbers were the two most popular characters to be discussed. I feel snake would be a better character to start off with, and they're going to be more common. Also I feel it's a matchup that, not only will everyone need to know, but will help you with a lot more than just the snake matchup. There are a lot of fundamentals to this that will give you a boost in other areas as well.

Matchups will be defined by the following definitions, explained in the Matchup Directory thread: Even, Slight Advantage, Slight Disadvantage, Advantage, Disadvantage, Large Advantage, Large Disadvantage.

Anyways... discuss!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Finally! I'm tired so I won't post much, but I'm definitely returning tomorrow.

For me, one of the most important parts of winning this mu is getting in some grab **** on Snake, so first question: if a Snake is at 0% percent, is he able to DI away far enough from a dthrow to avoid being regrabbed immediately? If not, at what percent can he do this? Also, what are the best followups here? I usually take a grab, dthrow, grab, dthrow, usmash, uair if I can, but are there better options?

My eyelids are drooping so I'm finished for the night.

*flies into the sky with the onions*

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
If he doesn't think to jump, then it works. I'm not sure what percents it works until, though. Most snakes won't think to jump, but if they do, he's able to get away scott free at any percents.

Downthrow to fair works on snake, though, and a lot of the time you'll be able to get a free regrab on him afterwards. Not always though if they DI it well enough.

And contrary to popular belief, dthrow to fsmash does not work. The snake can either jump away, or DI down and ftilt after the fsmash. Yes this includes yellow fsmash.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
I'll post more useful stuff later but what i like to do against snake is dthrow up smash then follow snake's DI and get another up smash if he decides to air dodge which MOST snakes will be doing because he doesn't really have a move to hit you besides nair. After the 2nd up smash I try to grab where he will land and d throw and hope he air dodges so i can get another grab. If he jumps I try to follow him and get another grab.

And that's how I get damage on snake.. But since snake doesn't have a reliable way to land against olimar I try to abuse this as much as I can.

Another thing, if you grab him when he has a grenade, d throw will set off the explosion, up throw will not though so I reccomend using d-throw when you need that extra bit of damage and up throw when you don't want to take damage in exchange of doing less damage.

I'll post some more but it's midnight and I am lazy.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Can we grab his cypher to gimp him the way other characters can?
I can't seem to do it.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
We're the only character that can't. Our grab loses its hitbox if it travels past the ledge. Interesting jules, I'll try dthrow -> usmash more, i rarely do it anymore.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
friggin pimin can't grab in the air, what bs! I already knew this but still, if they can grab something that's through a ledge below them, why on earth can't they reach out that far? I know,, they'd fall to their doom, but I still wish we could >=(
/rant

also, what's the best recovery strategy? I've played several Snakes that love to start laying mines and droping grenades once I leave the stage and I have to do so much dancing to avoid everything. Is there a "safest" way to get off a ledge?

Side note: I'm really glad ny phone can display Smashboards :)

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
1. I love when Snakes try to camp. It's so easy to out-camp him.
Mid-range, from the ground, and the most common approaches after an attempted camp are Mortar Slide and Ftilt.

2. This matchup is about patience. Pushing too hard for a kill results in punishment.

3. They like to Utilt when we try to get onto the stage from the ledge or grenade drop if they expect us to Uair through the stage.

4. The problems seem to lie with his obnoxious tilts, grabs and mortar slide.
Someone once said that Fsmash is quite effective in this match-up. Does this still apply?

I'm quite behind on my general Snake knowledge, so I might be wrong. If so, please correct or disregard this information.

Jane

Smash Hero
Another thing, if you grab him when he has a grenade, d throw will set off the explosion, up throw will not though so I reccomend using d-throw when you need that extra bit of damage and up throw when you don't want to take damage in exchange of doing less damage.
wow thats really nice to know. thanks. :)

even though i think this matchup can be a *****, what is nice is that snake isnt very threatening in the air (when we're on the ground at least) so juggling snake is fairly easy if you can read him.

any tips of recovering against snake though? i suck at it because if im really high he'll just catch me in his nair, and if im low he'll try to edgehog or something

also, i think its snake's slight advantage. ftilt :mad:

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
I have a hard time recovering to mainly because they pivot grab me and tech chase for about a whole stock.. what I try to do is side b the opposite direction to change my momentum, but if it is a pikmin you want to keep around such as a purple, just whistle reverse, oh and don't do this if you are still high up, he can still catch you if you do it to high.

One more thing about cypher grabbing, I find that if you do a pivot grab it has more of a chance to grab snake out of his cypher. Idk how close to the ledge he has to be though, hard to test with 2 hands.
Reason why pivot grab works is because the pikmin stays on the stage while dash grab/standing grab makes the pikmin go over the edge and just forget aobut the grab and hop back in line once they get off stage. The pivot grab keeps the pikmin on the edge with its grab hitbox out during the whole grab. You can surprisingly grab many people who ledge drop with pivot grabs to.

Dnyce

Smash Master
You can grab Snake out of his cypher for the gimp by stage pulling; however, if you're playing a snake dumb enough to hug the stage while recovering you shouldn't have a problem beating them. I would go for a dair in that situation anyways

Tips and tricks / general knowledge:

- Never leave the ground unless you are solidly watching snake. You can SH double pikmin toss only out of mortar slide range, once you're inside it's only safe to SH and throw one and then retreating aerial dodge/forward air. This does not apply if Snake has thrown a grenade at you and you shield it and it's lying on the ground. otherwise always stay grounded against snake

- Always stay grounded against snake

- do not attempt to usmash snake in the air, bair beats usmash

- forward smash a lot

- for every move you use you should use 2-3 standing grabs. snake has almost no options to standing grab other than to throw stuff at you, throw it out CONSTANTLY even if you're not even close cause you don't want him to approach you and get inside

- jab clashes with ftilt

- some snakes will use projectiles as a distraction as they move in for a solid move (think mortar + utilt ledge guarding etc)

- you can feel safe chasing snake off stage

- if snake is timing ftilt slowly for shield pressure you can grab inbetween them (risky and only sometimes)

- dair on cypher is safe, it'll knock you up if you want to FF it (recommended only when snake below stage)

- snake off stage and in the air is easy to rack damage on, don't be afraid to f/bthrow them off the ledge

- is it impossible for snake to spot dodge a boost pivot grab, use it

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- Never roll

- You can combo snake to hell, be creative

- Snakes like to aerial dodge into the ground a lot, pivot grab and f/d smash all their landings

- a good mind game since they know bair beats usmash is when they're coming down, throw out a couple of blank upsmashes so they think you're fishing for the kill and then spot dodge the bair when it comes out = profit -- pivot grab works as well

- IMO (key words) staling your throws getting snake off stage and killing with blue/purple uthrow is a worthy trade. Snake can survive bthrow / fthrow a lot higher than he can survive those uthrows

- At "just outside ftilt" range, fsmash to grab is a good "frame trap" meaning the fsmash misses and they go to punish only to run into a grab. you could replace fsmash with another fsmash of course, mix-ups are always good.

I just got back from Iowa, I'm tired... I'll read through this thread tomorrow. This is all I can think of for now

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
When he gets u in the air wit DACUS u can nair through the missle that comes up and if u DI down afterwards with nair u can hit him with the last hit. Then theres tons of ways to juggle him afterwards.

Another trick snakes love to do in the air is down b then when they think u tried to read them they'll b reversal a grendade to change their direction in the air and throw u off.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Never, do you EVER leave the ground unless you are completely out of any range, and a dacus, followed up by his ftilt will still fail to reach you.

- Snake in the air is very advantageous for you, because sans bair, we out speed him with Nair and Uair.

- Learn how to throw Uair mixups into your game. It helps TREMENDOUSLY. (Yellow and red) more so than the others.

-Grab and Fsmash stop the Snake Dacus abuse. They may not do it often, but it will force them to start camping, because it shuts down a main approach.

-Grenades are not your friend :(

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Reds detonate the grenades on contact, right? Would this be considered a good thing or a bad thing? As in, is it more likely that I'll blow one up in his face or mine?

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
everything fino said is legit as ****

the things he repeated a bunch of times are the things you should be thinking consciously while playing against snake

also, loved the idea of using upsmash a few times to get them to think its safe to bair

Latias

Smash Journeyman
if he starts downthrow pseudo cging you, just stand up and usmash :)

Dotcom

Smash Lord
As long as you don't get predictable with what you get up with, it should be fine. I tend to mix up Utilts, which works incredibly because at some percents you can lead up with something. Either that, or it gives you enough space to move away.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I should have mentioned oli-jab and snake-ftilt clank and come out on the same frame, so you will either (1) continue to do it until you are both out of range for the attack or (2) snake will use his jab which is 1 frame faster. Just FYI

Denti

Smash Master

I like to make my post easy and attractive to read. I'll name off bulletin facts about my opinion of this MU.

• This MU is 53/47 oli's favor
  • I ban SV or Frigate depending on the snake's playstyle
  • I use auto canceled tethers when he is high in the air. This makes him easier to read in his Grenade reversals.
  • I take him to FD, RC, and Delfino.
  • Being tech chased is a nightmare if snake does it right, figure out the best mind games that fit you when being tech chased. I also believe that if a snake doesn't tech chase you then he doesn't know the MU.
  • Snakes stand near the ledge of the stage and throw grenades most of this MU. Watch his patterns hard when he does this and run up and dash grab him and throw him off the stage (or down throw combo him if he is at low percents).
  • I sometimes throw their grenades back at them when they aren't able to predict it. This makes them panic and do something very new.

:)

One thing... I have a snake in my region (razer *cough*) who spot dodges when I get close and does a buffered tilt or grab. This is SUPER DEADLY against olimar. How should i beat this? F smash wont save me because he is too close for the smash to punish his spot dodge. Possibly dash attack?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

I like to make my post easy and attractive to read. I'll name off bulletin facts about my opinion of this MU.

• This MU is 53/47 oli's favor
  • I ban SV or Frigate depending on the snake's playstyle
  • I use auto canceled tethers when he is high in the air. This makes him easier to read in his Grenade reversals.
  • I take him to FD, RC, and Delfino.
  • Being tech chased is a nightmare if snake does it right, figure out the best mind games that fit you when being tech chased. I also believe that if a snake doesn't tech chase you then he doesn't know the MU.
  • Snakes stand near the ledge of the stage and throw grenades most of this MU. Watch his patterns hard when he does this and run up and dash grab him and throw him off the stage (or down throw combo him if he is at low percents).
  • I sometimes throw their grenades back at them when they aren't able to predict it. This makes them panic and do something very new.

:)

One thing... I have a snake in my region (razer *cough*) who spot dodges when I get close and does a buffered tilt or grab. This is SUPER DEADLY against olimar. How should i beat this? F smash wont save me because he is too close for the smash to punish his spot dodge. Possibly dash attack?
Nice tips, though you put in ratio numbers like Hilt specifically asked us not to :p No biggie though. Couple questions however, I could use some more details:

1. You say you ban SV or Frigate depending on the playstyle. What are the two different playstyles, and how do you tell them apart?

2. Why do you take him to RC and Delfino? I'm fairly certain I understand FD well enough (it just a long platform lol) but I'd like to make sure I'm fully taking advantage of Delfino and I've never taken a Snake to RC so I'd like to know all the benefits that come along with it.

Denti

Smash Master
I'd ban Frigate if the snake uses Bairs a lot, because bairs generally lead to a gimp more so than his other moves and Frigate is the gimp stage and has a small blast zone. SV is more of a grounded snake level, plus the blast zones are shorter on the side and snake only kills from the side blast zones.

I'd take him to RC because my playstyle is to not get hit and I can generally avoid almost everything he can use on RC.
As for Delfino I Like the purples and the planking. Also he can't pressure olimar effectively here because the stage is constantly changing. Olimar adapts better than snake here.

Did that help? :0

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I'd ban Frigate if the snake uses Bairs a lot, because bairs generally lead to a gimp more so than his other moves and Frigate is the gimp stage and has a small blast zone. SV is more of a grounded snake level, plus the blast zones are shorter on the side and snake only kills from the side blast zones.

I'd take him to RC because my playstyle is to not get hit and I can generally avoid almost everything he can use on RC.
As for Delfino I Like the purples and the planking. Also he can't pressure olimar effectively here because the stage is constantly changing. Olimar adapts better than snake here.

Did that help? :0
Yep :) I now know the different between a Bair Snake and a Ground Snake :chuckle:

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Here we go...

Game Start:

Spam. Your both far enough away from each other, so just spam. Considering the fact that u have to watch out for snake's range (like most other Olimars have said), you have to either get far enough away from the snake, and reach him with ur pikmin here it is safe to jump (like on FD), or on smaller stages, mix up Fsmashes and Grabs to stop his approaches.

Long Range:

Your at a safe enough distance to spam pikmin. The problem is that, only white pikmin can reliably reach him. If u wanna hit him with any other pikmin, you have to jump with them. Staying grounded vs Snake is very important tho, so double jumping just to reach him wont do you any good. Further more, snake's grenades can reach u effectively well at this range, and he has enough control over them (with shielding to stop their momentum, or timing them (since Olimar can't really do much to stop him) so that they explode right where you are. When snake throws a grenade, you have to watch out for it. once a grenade has landed near you, you must get away from it. the only other option would be to pick it up and throw it back at snake. This is because you must keep the camping pressure on snake. Shielding the grenade will only make you lose time, and give snake an enormous interval to do w/e he wants (whether he wants to approach, or solidify his camping game). Spot dodging the grenade can also be an option but only really works when the grenade is timed to explode at your location, otherwise if the snake isn't that amazing, he will just let the grenade go past you, otherwise he will shield and make the grenade stop, this means you have to get away, there is no time for you to pick it up and throw it back, the nade would have exploded by then. Another option is to throw a pikmin at the grenade to stop it well in front of you. This is the best option for you, as you can still keep the camping pressure, this however just also allows snake to block ur pikmin and therefore gives him time for something else. Snake wins long range because he can be more threatening there compared to Olimar.

Middle Range:

This is the best place for Olimar to be in the matchup. On the ground and at medium range. This is also the most crucial point of the matchup. The character that takes control of medium range WILL PUT THE OTHER CHARACTER IN A BAD POSITION. All of Olimar's pikmin can reach snake at this range. More than often a purple wont hit snake unless it is short hopped, but other than that, you can safely spam him on the ground, and with purples in your lineup, they will knock snake out of his mortar slide approach. Only short hop and throw a pikmin if it is a purple one, otherwise don't do it. Yellows are only good for blocking snake's normally thrown grenade (the one where he lobs it towards you) because the yellow pikmin have the same arc, otherwise I generally find yellows to be rather useless in this matchup as they don't have the trajectory I would prefer when it comes to camping out snake. As other Olimar's have said, mix up grabs every now and then so that you can grab snake out of his mortar slide I find Fsmash to be more effective against it. All of the same camping techniques applied at long range also apply here (avoiding/blocking grenades, etc). This is Snakes method of taking control of Medium range. If you **** up the camping, snake will either take you off the ground, or be in close range which is the worst on ground position for Olimar. Keeping the camping pressure is the most important thing. Olimar can throw pikmin more frequently than snake can throw a grenade, but grenades are a better projectile and if one gets in, the strategy has to be rethought. Expect a snake to approach once you have let down ur camping pressure. Watch the grenade when u Fsmash, Grabbing can also be useful, but basically, u must wait for the nade to explode before you can actually react. Medium range is slightly in Olimars favor, not overwhelmingly enough that snake can't do **** to Olimar.

Close Range:

D:, that's how bad it is. And believe it or not, this isn't the worst place for Olimar to be in this matchup. Now, to stop the Ftilt, grab at your maximum range. The 2nd hit of the Ftilt is really dangerous, the range on it is broken beyond belief. When shielding the Ftilt, like Fino said, u can go in between hits to punish it if the snake delays it, otherwise its a lil risky. You can shield grab after the 2nd hit. Fsmashing is also an option, but shield grabbing is a way better option here as it leads up to Olimars tremendous grab game (which basically means turning a bad position into an amazing position) Only throw purple pikmin, any other pikmin toss and you will get owned. The purple pikmin can also get out prioritized, therefore it is also a little risky. Fsmashing a snake can also somewhat help, it gets him away from you, and u reset at medium range, or follow him off stage, or follow him and attempt the grab (but if u **** up, ur just in close range again :(). Snake can also get the grab on us, and if he does, this is very bad news for Olimar because of Snake's grab game. Olimar loses close range, try to take advantage of it by grabbing (smartly, watch out for what I've mentioned) or try to get out of it (u have to get out offensively though (like attacking him) because simply running or jumping away will result in you getting owned).

Above the opponent:

:cry:, worst spot for Olimar to be in the matchup. Don't land near snake. Snake can cover the ground pretty well. Watch out for Snake himself, grenades, his down B, his down smash, the mortar slide. Whistle bouncing will be a really good option for you, otherwise try and get to an edge if you are off stage. You must watch out for everything above because they will get you back in the air, and as for snake himself, he will grab u (most likely pivot grab) or tilt you (and air dodging into snake can pretty much guarantee a kill for him). Landing on a platform also helps a lot. Attacking while landing is generally useful but Olimar's aerials aren't that amazing in the sense, and he can get shield grabbed every time.

Recovering:

When recovering to the stage, not much Oli can do really in any matchup. Throw some pikmin at snake to either rack up some damage on him, or in an attempt to knock hi away with a purple pikmin (which he can just power shield). If snake tries to hit you out of the air, its going to be with a Bair. More than likely he will short hop, or full hop to get to your level, then will wait to see what u do (or he might rush u, the mind game is in his favor) and double jump to Bair. Air dodge or whistle to solve this (and make sure u read him right or else its over) Don't attack, nothing has priority. He can also be fancy and try to fair u down the stage. Air dodge, whistle, or attack him out of it. When on the edge, Olimar's get up attack it really good, has plenty of range, use it if there are no grenades or if ur certain you won't hit Snake's shield. Plank Snake (uair from under the stage) if there is no grenade, or else its over (unless u tech the stage spike) You can jump off the edge, but hopefully there is a platform to land on, or you can get down safely. Jumping from the edge and Fairing is something neat I saw an Olimar use, it could be useful in several matchups. Nairing into snake is a poor option, free Utilt for snake.

Edge Guarding:

Forward smash when snake is on the edge. Even charging the forward smash is useful. space it so that it falls right off where the edge is. This will also allow you to be far enough away from snakes get up attack. When snake is ciphering below stage, like it has been said before, it is safe to spike him, just don't **** up or else u will probably miss the hit box of the cipher and die. Like Fino said, it is safe to chase snake offstage, All of our Fair's go through his cipher (except the while one lol) The Uair won't knock him out unless u get a majority of the hits, the Dair has to be sweetspotted, iunno about Bair, Fair is a better option, and just Don't Nair a snake in his cipher. I like to upB a snake who is ciphering high above the stage yet off stage. Sometimes it kills the snake, just make sure you can get back to the stage (or make sure u get the kill and that its the game finishing kill). When snake is above us, our Uair goes through everything he has (not the white one again). Fino's u smash mind game is also cute. The snake (like BOB Sagat said) can also wave bounce away from you, so like throw a non purple/yellow pikmin at him (yellow's wont reach him in time, and purple wont reach him period

Olimar's amazing grab game:

Snake's aerial game isn't amazing, so chase him and grab him, make sure to jab. u get one jab until 60, and then 2 jabs until 120, then so on. Listen to your opponents controller, if u hear them start to mash, then down throw them, otherwise keep jabbing them. damage is important, and this is where white pikmin shine. They aid the grab game so much. Purples will **** it up though, make sure they don't get in the way. So basically, grab, jab, dthrow, predict (a back air) or chase, regrab, repeat.

Final notes on Snake:

His grab game is also bad new for us. 10 to 1 mind game against us. someone mentioned standing up and U smashing, I myself am not sure of the most effective method against his down throw (when we are already inside it). Just try and out predict the snake. and watch out for the kill moves at high percents, and also watch out for being dthrown nearby explosives. Snake can take stage control with his explosives. Outside the grenades, I haven't talked much about the C4 & Dsmash. They will also **** up your camping game at medium and long range (and they will hinder your grab game which is what Olimar needs). Fthrowing a snake into a C4 is useful. You can also toss a pikmin at it (preferably red) or above it (as the pikmin will walk back to you and detonate the Dsmash). Just watch out for the C4 in general, it's pretty bad. Don't go near it after its been out for a little while.

Killing:

Blue B/Fthrow are useless imo (unless u catch them off guard and throw really quick to punish their poor reaction time and their bad DI, Purple U throw is good, and of course, U smash.

Stages

FD is amazing, no platforms to stop Olimar's grab game, however when Olimar is in the air, it also hurts. Battlefeild is also good. Grab game in the center of the stage really helps, and platforms to land on, but C4 on a platform is OP. Smashville is also nice. Snake can C4 on the platform though and have a moving mine. The platform gives us something to land on when we can't get back on the stage from the edge, however snake can also Dsmash the platform to make it harder for u to land on. The open space can also be good for our grab game, yet the platform can carry snake to safety. Halberd is neat as well. It helps both characters, and the center platform isn't too amazing for our grab game.

So snake is good on stages we are good on D:

The snake also has Rainbow cruise, Frigate, Brinstar. All of the stages are nasty for Olimar. On rainbow, Olimar loses the grab game, same with brinstar, and frigate is gimp city for Olimar.

dead even matchup imo

thats all for now Olibros :)

Geddan

Smash Ace
yeah i agree with what denti said, if the snake doesn't attempt to techchase you at all, he doesn't know the match-up and isn't much to worry about as long as you know it.

Dnyce

Smash Master

- for every move you use you should use 2-3 standing grabs. snake has almost no options to standing grab other than to throw stuff at you, throw it out CONSTANTLY even if you're not even close cause you don't want him to approach you and get inside

- is it impossible for snake to spot dodge a boost pivot grab, use it
You need to zone snake with fsmashes and grabs so he doesn't get in that close. Snake is slow (minus his mortar slide), run away if he's running towards you and throw out that boost grab.

EDIT: Imma take tinman's post in pieces later and see what he said. That wall text literally blinded my eyes, lol. I need a break x.x

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, Delfino is an incredible stage to take Snake to. Not just because of the purples, but the layout in general. Delfino has a lot of areas where it makes outcamping snake that much easier, and makes his approaches terrible. Snake has problems adjusting to the transformations in Delfino, and Olimar doesn't. Olimar benefits from the slants and different altitudes in throughout the stage transformations. Snake, not so much against Olimar. I think it might be the best stage to take Snake to.

BF is my favorite neutral to face him on. Other CPs I'll use if the Snake bans Delfino are Pictochat and um.. actually that's it, haha. I usually ban Halberd against Snake, I don't mind Frigate.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Here we go...

Game Start:

Spam.

Long Range:

Your at a safe enough distance to spam pikmin.
once a grenade has landed near you, you must get away from it. the only other option would be to pick it up and throw it back at snake. throw a pikmin at the grenade to stop it well in front of you.

Middle Range:

This is also the most crucial point of the matchup. The character that takes control of medium range WILL PUT THE OTHER CHARACTER IN A BAD POSITION. Only short hop and throw a pikmin if it is a purple one, otherwise don't do it.

Close Range:

Now, to stop the Ftilt, grab at your maximum range. The 2nd hit of the Ftilt is really dangerous.

Above the opponent:

:cry:, worst spot for Olimar to be in the matchup. Whistle bouncing will be a really good option for you, otherwise try and get to an edge if you are off stage. You must watch out for everything above because they will get you back in the air, and as for snake himself, he will grab u (most likely pivot grab) or tilt you (and air dodging into snake can pretty much guarantee a kill for him). Landing on a platform also helps a lot.

Recovering:

Nairing into snake is a poor option, free Utilt for snake.

Edge Guarding:

Forward smash when snake is on the edge. Even charging the forward smash is useful. Like Fino said, it is safe to chase snake offstage

Olimar's amazing grab game:

Snake's aerial game isn't amazing, so chase him and grab him

Final notes on Snake:

His grab game is also bad new for us.

Killing:

Blue B/Fthrow are useless imo (unless u catch them off guard and throw really quick to punish their poor reaction time and their bad DI, Purple U throw is good
tl;dr - fixed by your friendly neighborhood editor :)
Added color to alleviate the wall text eye-burning sensation, edited out superfluous details and misguiding information.

//troll

Dnyce

Smash Master
Holy *****, like yea. Jumping and rolling are just two things that Snake will eat you for. Of course, staying grounded was like the first thing in my earlier post.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Lol at Fino's tl;dr :laugh:

But I did read your thoughts on the mu Tin (both versions), and I got a lot of helpful tips from that. It's given me a lot to think about once I play against a Snake again, but I'm glad it's that way; the better I make my game now, the better I'll be later. Thanks :)

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
iv yet to figure out why ppl will think that after down throw that ppl will air dodge, if upsmash is guaranteed, if the snake sees u not running to upsmash and if hes smart (and knows the matchup) he'll just get out of there (but of course u can always punish his landing when he jumps). I always do dthrow-> upsmash-> arieal at low % because its guaranteed on the majority of the cast at low %.

so basicly dthrow-> upsmash-> follow up is what any good snake (that knows the MU) will expect and if he sees otherwise then he knows to jump (same goes for other charcters)

Dnyce

Smash Master
I prefer dthrow fair because you have more options out of it and it is guaranteed at higher percents than dthrow upsmash. Both are equally viable.

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
I prefer dthrow fair because you have more options out of it and it is guaranteed at higher percents than dthrow upsmash. Both are equally viable.
true. Those are the only ones that tend to work vs the better players. No one should really try to air dodge either at low % >>

Top Bottom