• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Ups

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
I know. PKT2 (hitting yourself) can kill people at 40%:laugh:
ooookay,enough about ness WE ARE DONE WITH HIM

so has anyone played a good sonic lately (no names necassary just one you had trouble with),I know sonic is'nt a threat to mario but he stuck to me like glue, I had no time to anticipate a move and just kept pumiling me he's also good at spacing 0_0,and his neutral B=deadly gimping machine

PKNintendo

Smash Master
ooookay,enough about ness WE ARE DONE WITH HIM

so has anyone played a good sonic lately (no names necassary just one you had trouble with),I know sonic is'nt a threat to mario but he stuck to me like glue, I had no time to anticipate a move and just kept pumiling me he's also good at spacing 0_0,and his neutral B=deadly gimping machine
Yes we are done with Ness, but there's no denying that the matchup is still wrong. I say it's neutral.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
sonic is a threat to mario can't see why he isn't. he can gimp Mario hard.

has a better aerial game.
breaks through fireballs easily.
Can approach mario easily.

Has a really nasty 32% combo up to higher percents.
Said nasty combo can do 42% when done correctly even if proper DI is done.
Has overall better grabs (he can follow from an Fthrow, Dthrow and Uthrow)

Can chase you to the ends of the earth.
Recovery that makes it hard to kill him.

mario has a good amount going for him though. FLUDD can ease the pressure.
Fireballs can help pressuring though overuse may lead to getting baired from behind as he spinshots.
faster attack speed overall.
Faster Dsmash and Usmash with the Usmash being more powerful.
Stronger ground game.

The key to winning is not to edgeguard since sonic can easily spin****, homing attack and spring.
Its to and those Ko moves.
Dsmash is very reiable and good OOS weapon.
the aim is to Ko not gimp or edgeguard since Sonic's aerial speed and recovery makes doing such a thing too difficult (as well as the invincibility frames on the ^B)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is there a reason why Rob isn't listed?

Oh, and why is there discussion about ness v olimar in the mario boards. >_>

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Ask Mario Brawler about insulting Ness skillz about that. :laugh:
Im not taking questions at the moment
no but in all seriousness SERIOUSLY I play ness as a secondary wtf are you saying that I insulted him???I drop the 'argument' and you keep talking about ness and olimar =__='
oh and to the kind sir that actually replyed to my sonic plea
I did'nt really now sonic could hold his own agaisnt mario it certainly is'nt 5-5 is it???
I recently fought him again and I did better, all I did was start to play more defensivly while he does his spin dash combo theres a certain time where he's open for attack(and other small times like dair land lag,missed homing dash into the ground ect.), I also found up-b'ing while he spin dashes to you usefull sometimes,but I realized some key things that helped me alot
1.sonic has no kill moves(okay that was really obviouse but I never really payed much attention to it I know now that I can survive longer than he can)
2.Fair meteoring his up-b is...do'able...
and 3.fire ball his ***...alot,jumping->firebell->second jump->fire ball slowed him down alot at times
it helps you keep the pace of the fight...managable
still my opponent is more skilled than I so I rarely ever win,but I feel if he fought one of the better mario players his sonic would get creamed

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Im not taking questions at the moment
no but in all seriousness SERIOUSLY I play ness as a secondary wtf are you saying that I insulted him???I drop the 'argument' and you keep talking about ness and olimar =__='
oh and to the kind sir that actually replyed to my sonic plea
I did'nt really now sonic could hold his own agaisnt mario it certainly is'nt 5-5 is it???
I recently fought him again and I did better, all I did was start to play more defensivly while he does his spin dash combo theres a certain time where he's open for attack(and other small times like dair land lag,missed homing dash into the ground ect.), I also found up-b'ing while he spin dashes to you usefull sometimes,but I realized some key things that helped me alot
1.sonic has no kill moves(okay that was really obviouse but I never really payed much attention to it I know now that I can survive longer than he can)
2.Fair meteoring his up-b is...do'able...
and 3.fire ball his ***...alot,jumping->firebell->second jump->fire ball slowed him down alot at times
it helps you keep the pace of the fight...managable
still my opponent is more skilled than I so I rarely ever win,but I feel if he fought one of the better mario players his sonic would get creamed
But you've never been in the Ness boards before. How can you secondary someone, and not go on this board.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
But you've never been in the Ness boards before. How can you secondary someone, and not go on this board.
Now thats a fallacy.. Fear mains Mario and i only seen him in the mario boards once. I secondary Ike but you never see me in the Ike boards at all. I just know what it takes to play as him.

Anyway thank you for finally adding rob lol.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
PK nintendo do you even have records of where I go?for all you know I can go to the ness boards and just not post or comment there
I secondary waay to many people to even go on half the baords anyway(check my sig), I have no problems with my ness so I see no reason to go there.
now anywho It's funny how we just take the disscion from other boards,sorta makes me feel guilty XD
but they pretty much nailed it I think,mario definatly has the advantage here

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
DanGR keeps...poofing in and outta here from nowhere and points out errors in our matchup thread. That's kinda eerie 0_0

What brings you to the Mario boards?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was just looking through the mario matchups for my matchup thread in my sig. I needed the mario v ike info, but you guys didn't have it. :/

Oh, and Olimar's "meteor smash" is a spike. ;)

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Mario may have the advantage i don't really know. But it might be even as well. After facing Ussi's Ike i might go with even.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I gotta go with even as far as Mario vs Ike.

I mean, Ike's range, and the fact his KO potential is so high makes him a beast.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
I agree. Ike has range, awakward hitboxes, and overall early KO potential in his favor. but alas, Mario has a campy fireball projectile. Plus Ike's recovery isnt all that. A fully charged fludd & Cape would make it rain on him pretty hard.

Overall A roundabout 50/50 or 60/40 sounds accurate. Can be either or. If the Ike is skilled, He'll know how to get you with the few hits needed to KO you. Same is vice versa for Mario's end. Can gimp Ike's recovery fairly easy. But you have to get him off the stage first. :p

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I agree with most of the poster here, Mario vs. Ike is even matchup. All Ike needs to kill Mario are few hits and F-smash, but all Mario needs is something that sends Ike offstage. whitchever puts other to the recovering state first wins the match.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I say adv Mario. Insane comboability, gimping, decent % KOs, and fireballs make approaching simple.

With good spacing, Ike's a troublesome opponent, but range and power is all he has; every other aspect of his playstyle is a weakness. He's horribly slow, has no projectile, and his recovery isn't hard to gimp.
Properly take advantage of these things, and the matchup is easy.

6:4

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
people,strength means nothing if you can't land a hit,ike's moves are all easy to see coming anyone can powershield them or spot dodge them
I 3 stocked an ike,procedures:
1.wait at edge with fully charged fludd
2.wait for approach(DA,Fair,Nair,side b?)
3.block/dodge
4.grab>back throw
5.cape obviouse second jump
6.cape side b or fludd aether depending on position
ganted most wont fall for it 3 times or even twice but you can take off a fresh stock with that

6:4

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
The first post needs to be fixed or redone. Its kind of messed up. It goes from his Very hard match ups, to his hard match ups then to bower and Captain falcon? After that is not too organized anymore.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Pikachu a neutral match up?

Pikachu has better projectile spam, hard to fight in the air, difficult to gimp, faster, a chaingrab (maybe 2), and then there's his D-Smash and Thunder.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Pikachu a neutral match up?

Pikachu has better projectile spam, hard to fight in the air, difficult to gimp, faster, a chaingrab (maybe 2), and then there's his D-Smash and Thunder.
Fireball isn't for spamming, so of course it'd be better. We can deal with his better than he can deal with ours.

Not particularly difficult to fight in the air if you use the right aerials, and not difficult to gimp. Fludd slows his recovery and cape screws it. It's about average difficulty imo.

I agree that his upB canceling makes his ground movement a big problem as well as his Dsmash. He also has his QA lock, but I'm not sure if Mario can be CG'd by Pika.

Thunder isn't nearly as much of a problem for us as it is for most other characters since we can make thunder attack Pika if caped while coming down. Also, if you cape Thunder as it hits Pika, you do a ton of damage. Low KO % while we live pretty long against Pika with DI and have a pretty easy time racking up damage.

My experience is limited here so this is all speculation. I believe, however, that even is being generous for Pika.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Pikachu´s down smash really hurts Mario, because it comes out fast and has surprisingly long reach while Mario has short. Pikachu´s recovery is also hard to gimp because it´s two-part: good pikachu has insane amount of ways to sweetspot the edge. It´s also too fast to cape too often.

However, Mario wins when it comes to killing. Pikachu dies a lot faster than Mario and Pikachu´s killing moves aren´t that great against Mario: F-smash is slow and Thunder can often be reflected or avoided via DI.

I´d say that Pikachu has advantage with projectile. They both work well when approaching or preventing other from doing it, but his can be spammed and Mario´s can´t. Pikachu´s thunderball also prevents Mario´s shorthopped attacks well, which can be a trouble. Pikachu can also cause lots of trouble with it when Mario is recovering. Luckily Pika can´t kill Mario by gimping well.

I´d say the matchup is even: Pikachu causes tons of damage, but has trouble killing. Mario can have hard time keeping the pressure up, but kills at decent percents.

Top Bottom