• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Ups

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Online matches don't decide the matchup. Im probably to only one who thinks this, but I find that your kinda biased when it comes to Mario and his matchups. Sorry, but you really need to play as Ness more. I've played vs plenty of Mario's, and they've never even given me trouble at all. I say 5-5 for Ness, or 6-4 for Ness. Call me crazy, but I don't think you've played against many Ness' offline. If you did beat scrub Ness', and changed your opinion on him from that, you should rethink it.
Apparently you've been facing some scrubby Marios.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Online matches don't decide the matchup. Im probably to only one who thinks this, but I find that your kinda biased when it comes to Mario and his matchups. Sorry, but you really need to play as Ness more. I've played vs plenty of Mario's, and they've never even given me trouble at all. I say 5-5 for Ness, or 6-4 for Ness. Call me crazy, but I don't think you've played against many Ness' offline. If you did beat scrub Ness', and changed your opinion on him from that, you should rethink it.
Everyone's biased toward their main no matter how much they try to deny it; myself included.

You still haven't given me reason to believe that Ness vs Mario isn't 7:3. I'm looking for a convincing argument as to why this shouldn't be considered one of Ness' harder matchups.

Lol, I've played offline before, contrary to popular belief. Rest assured, I'm not an online Brawl junkie or w/e. My experience with Ness comes from both sides.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Everyone's biased toward their main no matter how much they try to deny it; myself included.

Lol, I've played offline before, contrary to popular belief. Rest assured, I'm not an online Brawl junkie or w/e. My experience with Ness comes from both sides.
Same goes for me:laugh:

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
I'd say Mario vs Ness is 7-3, in Mario favor.

Mario vs Lucas i'd have to say 6-4. 6 in Mario favor. A good lucas will own you alot harder then ness for obvious reasons because of his moveset. But his recovery is his downfall. Same with Ness. Granted Lucas does have a Tether. If you're jump doesnt get you back on, and you're only means left is Up B, you're gimped. Wether it be because of the cape, fireball, fludd, Fair, capestall, whatever whatever. Same goes for Ness.

A good Mario at gimping is a counter nitemare for a Ness & Lucas. Only reason why I'd say it's deeply in Mario's favor whatever ratio we do decide on. Once you off the edge you in Mario's territory, use you're jump to try to get back you'l be caped, Bair'd, and everything else to get knocked back off. Use UpB and you're 8 times out of 10 screwed, unless he smashes you from one end to the other and you have time to use it fully. If he right next to you, nah, you done. Besides, you'l have to use Up B eventually.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
VERY HARD MATCH UPS =7-3
Game and Watch
Ice Climbers
King DeDeDe
Marth
Metaknight

HARD MATCH UPS =6-4
Diddy Kong
Captain Olimar
Lucas
Pit
Snake
Wario
Zelda

NEUTRAL MATCH UPS =5-5
DK
Charzard
Flaco
Fox
Jigglypuff
Kirby
Link
Lucario
Luigi
Mario
Peach
Pikachu
Shiek
Squirtle
Wolf
Zamus

SLIGHT ADVANTAGE =4-6
Bowser
C.Falcon
Ness
Ivysaur
Samus
Sonic
Yoshi

OVERKILL= 3-7

C.Falcon
Gannondorf

Just helping.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'd say Mario vs Ness is 7-3, in Mario favor.

Mario vs Lucas i'd have to say 6-4. 6 in Mario favor. A good lucas will own you alot harder then ness for obvious reasons because of his moveset. But his recovery is his downfall. Same with Ness. Granted Lucas does have a Tether. If you're jump doesnt get you back on, and you're only means left is Up B, you're gimped. Wether it be because of the cape, fireball, fludd, Fair, capestall, whatever whatever. Same goes for Ness.

A good Mario at gimping is a counter nitemare for a Ness & Lucas. Only reason why I'd say it's deeply in Mario's favor whatever ratio we do decide on. Once you off the edge you in Mario's territory, use you're jump to try to get back you'l be caped, Bair'd, and everything else to get knocked back off. Use UpB and you're 8 times out of 10 screwed, unless he smashes you from one end to the other and you have time to use it fully. If he right next to you, nah, you done. Besides, you'l have to use Up B eventually.
Mario can't gimp Lucas. Period. The matchup is in Lucas' favor.

Why's Pit > Ness?

PKNintendo

Smash Master

Why's Pit > Ness?
Come on, Mario has more than just gimping. And gimping isn't some drug. You shouldn't give up. If Mario can't gimp Lucas, he should be able to do something else. Amirite?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion

Why's Pit > Ness?
Pit destroys Mario's aerial and ground game with his attacks. He's faster, has an easier time killing Mario, and has more priority and range overall than Mario does. Arrows can be a pain as well even with cape.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Pit destroys Mario's aerial and ground game with his attacks. He's faster, has an easier time killing Mario, and has more priority and range overall than Mario does. Arrows can be a pain as well even with cape.
Read your quote Tak XD

Plus, Sagemoon already said that Mario vs Pit is slightly in Mario's favor, and he's a pro. He fights Fear on the regular.

Mario can't deal with Lucas' Kill power, range and priority well. Add the fact that he can't even edgeguard him to any extent and you have a difficult matchup. The only thing Mario has going for him is the fact that he can kill him at moderately low %.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
oh yea lucas can be gimped its easier said than done tho his tether recovery alone changes everthing plus his pkt has crazy distance,still if he's forced into a pk rocovery and he's at just the right height fludd will ruin him but it's not so common for that to happen and any smart lucas player will recover with the snake every chance they get

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
oh yea lucas can be gimped its easier said than done tho his tether recovery alone changes everthing plus his pkt has crazy distance,still if he's forced into a pk rocovery and he's at just the right height fludd will ruin him but it's not so common for that to happen and any smart lucas player will recover with the snake every chance they get
The tether isn't the issue. This is

People actually use this to recover if they do it in one direction.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Same with Ness, his recovery is easy to gimp but that doesn't make him an easy matchup. ^_^.
And unlike Olimar Ness is:
1. Harder to gimp.
2. heavier. (Lol ,Ness is mid weight, heavier than the likes of Marth and Peach)

Ness aerials are a problem, and his smashes come out relatively quick. (except his fsmash. thats slow)

But Im starting to think that Ness and Mario are equal. 50-50.
(Im playing as Mario alot)

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Same with Ness, his recovery is easy to gimp but that doesn't make him an easy matchup. ^_^.
And unlike Olimar Ness is:
1. Harder to gimp.
2. heavier. (Lol ,Ness is mid weight, heavier than the likes of Marth and Peach)

Ness aerials are a problem, and his smashes come out relatively quick. (except his fsmash. thats slow)

But Im starting to think that Ness and Mario are equal. 50-50.
(Im playing as Mario alot)
Please ignore what Matador said in the past. mario has more than gimping.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
olimar is harder than ness, I think mario has it easier with ness than olimar,easier approach,olimars projectiles are better than ness' , olimar has some good gimping options his recovery can be gimped but it's a hella lot longer the ness' ,olimars smashes are better
(and no im not flaming ness I main him, im just saying I think olimar's harder matchup)

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Olimar is one of Mario's worst matchups... The main reason is because of his hard time approaching him.
I suppose. But try to counterpick to FD.
Also, Ness can be a pain to approach with a b-sticked PKF (not regular PKF, B sticked)

Im just saying Oli's overated.

(He's tough I know)

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I suppose. But try to counterpick to FD.
Also, Ness can be a pain to approach with a b-sticked PKF (not regular PKF, B sticked)

Im just saying Oli's overated.

(He's tough I know)
Ness is nothing like Olimar. Pk Fire<<<Pikmin throw even B sticked.

-Mario can cope with a lot of projectile based campers in this game because of his cape. Mario CAN NOT COPE WITH OLIMAR. Caping his Pikmin does't make much of a difference, since it just returns them. His grab range is huge and Fsmash has a lot of range. He out camps you with pikmin over Fireballs. They do more damage forcing you to approach him. Either getting you shield grabbed, Fsmashed, or another pikmin to the face. And did i mention that purple pikmin are a pain? Not to mentionhis Usmash kill u at like 80%. The only thing Maio has over Olimar is his ability to gimp him too easy, and how light Olimar is.

Top Bottom