• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Ups

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Toon Link gives me a hard time I'm starting to notice. I have great issues approaching him (due to rang, z-air, bombs, and arrows.) His aerials always beat mine (his pesky b-air) and he racks up damage on my like craazy. Any suggestions against a Toon Link?
Definitely a difficult fight. Your main focus should be on getting inside. Once you're in, you must stay in. TL dies pretty low % and we can gimp him pretty easily. Your combo game must be consistently awesome throughout the entire fight. At the top of your game, you stand a fighting chance.

Cape his projectiles, space your attacks, and keep your approaches safe. Remember to DI that Usmash every time. Remember that TL has very limited safe KO moves, so be prepared when you're KO %.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Also, if Toon Link is happy with the bombs, you can use FLUDD to knock them away pretty freaken far along with killing his approach method.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Yeah, toon Link is definitely a hard matchup. Disjointed hitbox (sword) that has longer range that Mario and is at least as fast is a problem. He is also one the best campers in the came and has fast killers. I think that the best bet is to try to get close and knock him out of the stage and then edgeguard like crazy.

Matt07

Smash Master
Thanks for the input guys.

Ok, next 'help me' question.

Diddy Kong is giving me pain...I hate his dash attack followed by utilt? usmash, he just racks up damage that way, and I can't use any aerials he just shield grabs, or outprioritizes my aerials. I really have no clue what to do against one.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Are you using fireballs with your aerials?

Also, for his dash attack, you can shield it then Up-B, or for a more simpler way, you can shieldgrab it towards the end of the dash attack.

I fight against a good Diddy user all the time, so lay out all the questions you have against Diddy.

EDIT: Hmm... perhaps we should make a Q&A thread for stuff like this... we're seriously missing one.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Thanks for the input guys.

Ok, next 'help me' question.

Diddy Kong is giving me pain...I hate his dash attack followed by utilt? usmash, he just racks up damage that way, and I can't use any aerials he just shield grabs, or outprioritizes my aerials. I really have no clue what to do against one.
His dash atk has low priority and you can pretty easily shield grab it, in a lot of ways it's like Mario's dash atk. His Usmash is probally getting you because you're being too predictable, and shield grabs are always tough without good spacing. Diddy isn't really too hard except for his bananas which you always need to be prepared for. His aerials at best have as much priority as yours and actually have slightly more lag, except Mario's Fair of course. Bananas are the main thing to worry about in the match-up. Also, remember that the cape is **** in this match-up.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Nair his upB. Don't Nair as he's charging, but as he's moving in his desired direction, Nair him. This will send him into an animation where he's unable to act for awhile. If he DOES get the opportunity to upB again after this animation, his angle is easy to read and cape/ledgehog.

SHDair like crazy when bananas are on the field. If you Dair over a Banana, you pick it up. If you Dair into a banana while it's being thrown, you pick it up. If all else fails, you jump over the banana being thrown. Don't try to fight with the bananas either...throw them out.

You can easily outspace him without bananas on the field and can kill him at around 110-120% with Fsmash and Usmash unstaled. DI, his KO power is low.

Other than that, play defensively. Don't do anything risky, because Diddy can punish VERY well. Fludd his recovery first, THEN do w/e to edgeguard.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Well, if you know how to use them and feel comfortable with them, no doubt you should use em. I prefer throwing them out since it's auto adv once they're out of the picture.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
for the olimar section you should add a couple things on the pikman section

Blue: used manily for back throw death at around 120%+ or even forward through if you are using the control stick that way.

Yellow: HAS THE BIGGEST HITBOX OF ALL PIKMAN. Its pretty hard to dodge these guys. When facing a yellow pikman watch out for the upsmashes, the same goes for....

Red: almost same as yellow so watch out

White: Avoid them being lacthed as they do 6% each hit. CANNOT kill any other way

Purple: I dont care what ness players might say, STRONGEST throwing kill in the game. These guys can kill with forward smash, down smash, but mainly avoid up smash. The throw can kill around 90%+ with an up throw to mario....

thats all :D

i fight against a good olimar alot and this is what i know and wanna make sure you all try to avoid those

=)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Well, if you know how to use them and feel comfortable with them, no doubt you should use em. I prefer throwing them out since it's auto adv once they're out of the picture.
After playing a Diddy player I haven't played in a long time, I actually recommend this too, but sometimes I do try to use the bananas against him anyway since it breaks his rhythm. I actually put him against the defensive a few times.

capeman

Smash Rookie
this might be listed somewhere in the post
lol i didnt feel like reading the whole 18 threads sorry
:/

i think sonic is a really tough match up
+combos should be easy
+cape over and side b........muhuhahaha
- a well placed f-air WILL DESTROY your recovery :( (true)
-down b and over b is annyoing and combos into
-very hard to spike because of up b (for me)
-fludd isn't very usefull

idk what do you guys think about sonic?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
this might be listed somewhere in the post
lol i didnt feel like reading the whole 18 threads sorry
:/

i think sonic is a really tough match up
+combos should be easy
+cape over and side b........muhuhahaha
- a well placed f-air WILL DESTROY your recovery :( (true)
-down b and over b is annyoing and combos into
-very hard to spike because of up b (for me)
-fludd isn't very usefull

idk what do you guys think about sonic?
Fireballs cancel his sideB and downB and his KO power is a little on the weak side. It's hard to gimp him or catch him with Fsmash so keep your Usmash fresh. Limit him with fireballs and play him like most other matchups, just dont underestimate Sonic.

It's an even matchup, they have a thread on it in the Sonic boards.

Top Bottom