• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Export #4: Snake (In-Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Your ground game is balls, not like fox has one anywayas, because snake outranges you so hard, plus he can kill you fairly early with utilt.
I'm trying to imagine a scenario in which Fox would need to approach that badly that he would walk straight into Snake's attacks. I can't think of one.

YOur susceptible to getting bair'd outta your rrecovery off stage, maybe even gimped at times.
Snake can only cover one spot at a time, and Fox has multiple recovery options above stage. Below the stage is a different story, but how does Snake plan to get Fox below stage anyway? Gimping isn't really a possibility.

You dont wreck snake completely in the air. Well placed bairs and nairs will out range you and snuff your approaches if the snake is smart.
Fox does not approach in this matchup.

Yes, he can camp fox. Snake is able to camp all the space animals if his grenades are cooked perfectly, you cant shine them away.
You throw grenade; I shoot laser. Grenade blows up before it reaches me.

Fox may be fast and try to stop snake, but snake can spot dodge or shield the approach and get you blown up by nades.
This entire first part of your post is really all assuming Snake can camp Fox. I guarantee you that he cannot. Sure, Snake might be able to "camp" Falco and Wolf, but when Fox can pump out three lasers in a single short hop, that grenade is not coming anywhere near him. There's no other way for Snake to "camp," so his only option is to approach.

RPK

Smash Lord
Plus, your acting like we cant shield after we finish up our sh lasers. =p If grenade gets past lasers, either avoid it, or shield it =\

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Sorry about that, the April Fool's stuff completely threw off my schedule for this.
I'll get all of these done by the weekend for sure though.

RPK

Smash Lord
Might as well ask here, how would you deal with Snake's Snake dash since that would be the most appropriate way for him to approach, besides crawling as it's the fastest way for snake to get to us without any harm? In addition, what about approaching him when he's crawling?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Might as well ask here, how would you deal with Snake's Snake dash since that would be the most appropriate way for him to approach, besides crawling as it's the fastest way for snake to get to us without any harm?
Don't get hit? If you're SHDLing and see it coming, just switch into a Nair/Bair as he passes you by - or reverse SHDL and reset your spacing.

In addition, what about approaching him when he's crawling?
Why would you need to do that? Snake can only Dtilt while he's crawling and moves slow as hell. Just keep lasering, and if he does nothing but crawl, call him out for stalling.

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
Match-up is somewhere around even.

You guys pretty much covered everything. I doubt a favor could be made for fox mostly because any approach or method fox has can be beaten out by snake in someway (biggest problem is when juggled, fox does it too well). Grounded laser spam can be countered. Dash attack, and killer upsmash are going to be pretty noticeable in the percent ranges where they would most likely be used and thus avoided. Shielding does wonders as the cool down time and range the attacks put from snake when shielded isn't very far and is punishable and thus ftilt and 1/5 the damage gone needed before uptilt kill. Everyone knows about foxes dair and will be wary of that. Jab and tilt range of fox is really small compared to snake's range.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I just want to point out that lasers don't completely shut down a grenade game... He has several throws to put them over or through lasers, where they blow up in your face. Not to mention a smart jumping grenade game with traps.

I play against a Snake like every week... he's not the best one that I've played, but he certainly has the best projectile game of any I've played... and lemme tell ya, you can't really shut it down.

You can, however, really hamper it. sometimes, yeah, you'll get a good shot and blow a grenade on him (best feeling ever). And otherwise, Fox is quick enough to avoid, shield, or even throw the grenades back easily enough (unless they are cooked, in which case, avoid or shield)

I also want to say that if you limit your movement in this match, it's easy to land quite a few usmashes through a snake dash... For some reason, a lot of Snakes tend to approach with it, even though it's not that great of an idea. I've even seen a lot of the more renowned Snakes doing this, which confuses me. Basically, stand there. Really watch your spacing, and guess and usmash it... not too hard. Use utilt instead if you're a bit scared...

Up moves are incredible against Snake because of his weak air game. He has nothing against you when you're below him.. His Nair beats or trades with your Bair quite a lot of the time, but that's his only good aerial option in most of the match. You can also combo him pretty much as much as you want from an utilt or aerial.

I would say, however, that instead of going for uairs a lot (which are easily shielded airdodged), wait for him to come down, and get the usmash... He has to land with either an attack or an airdodge... which both have vulnerable frames that you can capitalize on. Watch for the bair, but no other aerial while landing is hard to see coming, or leaves you particularly vulnerable.

Snakes love to shield and spot dodge... so Grabs are quite nice....Pivot wave grabs, especially, as they are basically no risk. If you grab snake, you can get him in the air and then punish as before.

I would say anywhere from 50-50 to 60-40 Fox due to Fox's better projectile game, much better aerial game, and more options. Fox dies early in the match, but kills pretty early too, so it's ok.

SnowballBob33

Smash Ace
You can shine a grenade to blow it up without taking any damage. You can sit at the end of the map spamming lasers to blow up thrown grenades making his main approach crawl or dash. Crawl limits him so I'm not going to bother. Once he dashes, you can dsmash him and block before the mortar comes back down.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'm not about to get into this snake discussion, the only snake i haven't beaten was ally and all we did was play 2 games... every other single snake i've played ive beaten numerous times
Meh... Snake's just simple, really... the important thing is to not get careless...

Panix

Smash Ace
Why would you need to do that? Snake can only Dtilt while he's crawling and moves slow as hell. Just keep lasering, and if he does nothing but crawl, call him out for stalling.
Untrue, snake can stand right up and do a F-Tilt/U-Tilt out of a crawl.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Untrue, snake can stand right up and do a F-Tilt/U-Tilt out of a crawl.
Meh... let's just reword it to:

any option Snake has out of crawl is slow to execute and easy to predict/punish. From crawl to f or u-tilt adds some extra startup time to each of those moves, making them a lot easier to just beat..

Panix

Smash Ace
Meh... let's just reword it to:

any option Snake has out of crawl is slow to execute and easy to predict/punish. From crawl to f or u-tilt adds some extra startup time to each of those moves, making them a lot easier to just beat..
And I agree, But approaching a fox that lasering with a crawl is smart, mainly because fox's laser has alot of ending animation to where he as to put his gun away. So if your close enough all you have to do is crawl>stand ftilt. thats if you get within punishable range, not saying that fox will let that happen

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
And I agree, But approaching a fox that lasering with a crawl is smart, mainly because fox's laser has alot of ending animation to where he as to put his gun away. So if your close enough all you have to do is crawl>stand ftilt. thats if you get within punishable range, not saying that fox will let that happen
Nah, we're mainly talking about SH lasers here (1,2, or 3), to cut down on ending lag and allow for movement while lasering. If a Fox is just standing there blasting away, just hard throw a grenade at him and boom.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
How many Foxes have you played? I don't understand why you're trying to argue the matchup if you clearly stated before that you need help with it.

Fox has almost no landing lag upon short hopped lasers.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
am i doing something wrong or does this string just not work on Snake, everytime i dair > utilt up untill like 90% snake powersheilds the utilt and i get *****....

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
am i doing something wrong or does this string just not work on Snake, everytime i dair > utilt up untill like 90% snake powersheilds the utilt and i get *****....
catch snake in the air with dair and there you go, if you dair snake on the ground then yea he seems to powershield it alot, nothing too crazy tho. if you suspect he'll powersheild just buffer a grab.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I'm confused; I hear talk of not approaching yet see things about Snake eating dairs and such.

For one, if Snake is crawling and you're firing lasers, you can't call out the Snake for stalling; he's evading your attacks. Neither of you is approaching, but both of you are still able to be hit if need be.

Snake can pull out grenades in one frame. Fox can't approach well anyway, but he's essentially now limited to grabs because dair and nair can both be nullified with a grenade. Even without that, his disjointed utilt and ftilt would stop any attempt of Fox approaching anyway.

Depending on the stage, Snake can pull out some grenades. FD is the only stage I can really think of where his grenades are severely nullified, but he'll definitely get chances to grenade camp on the other neutrals and many other CP stages; the platforms do help. And I'm not forgetting that Fox mainly uses SHDLs, AKA he jumps, but you also can't forget that Snake can jump too.

For him, Mortar slide isn't really the best approach especially from a really long distance, but around mid-range it's a bit more safe; you have less time to punish a dash attack or DACUS.

I don't know why you're saying that you completely **** Snake offstage. You do better than some against him offstage, but it isn't instant stock loss. Because just about everyone has a good chance of gimping him if he recovers from below...well...good Snakes don't recover from below. Rising fair in general can hit him if he tries high recoveries, although they're often really obvious, and can be airdodged through. And don't forget about reverse grenade pulls and such.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'm confused; I hear talk of not approaching yet see things about Snake eating dairs and such.

Dair is one of the better punishment tools in the game, as it has lasting hitboxes, is fast, and leads into an arsenal of other attacks. It will be used for punishment, mainly, of predicted attacks and whatnot, rather than approach by good Foxes.

For one, if Snake is crawling and you're firing lasers, you can't call out the Snake for stalling; he's evading your attacks. Neither of you is approaching, but both of you are still able to be hit if need be.

You're right, this is mainly an em passe... I mainly said that to counter the "then we'll just call Fox for stalling" argument that many players bring when they state they can crouch under Fox's lasers...

Snake can pull out grenades in one frame. Fox can't approach well anyway, but he's essentially now limited to grabs because dair and nair can both be nullified with a grenade. Even without that, his disjointed utilt and ftilt would stop any attempt of Fox approaching anyway.

Snake can't just sit there dropping grenades every time Fox gets close for a couple reasons... first of all, it keeps Snake either in shield, or forces him to roll... both of which, Fox can punish QUITE well... Secondly, Fox has attacks that space that situation well... and if anything, get a hit on a shield with no danger of a shield grab. Fox's grab game should also not really be messed with by Snake, because if Fox is able to put Snake into the air while he is on the ground, he has an advantage.

Both of Snake's tilts are punishable... shine stall baits and punishes an utilt (don't get into a mindgame war here... yeah, Snake could start guessing that and adapt...and then Fox could adapt...etc... Fox has tools to get around it, is what I'm saying), and dash shield is an easy enough way to get inside a ftilt.

And still, you're really talking about Fox approaching... which should not be happening... I mean, literally, Fox could try faking an approach, force the grenade drop, and try to laser it in the worst case...

Depending on the stage, Snake can pull out some grenades. FD is the only stage I can really think of where his grenades are severely nullified, but he'll definitely get chances to grenade camp on the other neutrals and many other CP stages; the platforms do help. And I'm not forgetting that Fox mainly uses SHDLs, AKA he jumps, but you also can't forget that Snake can jump too.

If snake is in the air, he is vulnerable here... Fox has to somewhat guess where he is landing, pull a shield usmash, and it will work...beating out every aerial option Snake has, as well as an airdodge into the ground (with proper timing, of course...

This, mainly, is where I feel Fox has an advantage... he punishes an aerial Snake like nothing, and has tools to put him in the air...

For him, Mortar slide isn't really the best approach especially from a really long distance, but around mid-range it's a bit more safe; you have less time to punish a dash attack or DACUS.

Nah, mortar slide is really risky for Snake here, as it's fairly easy to tell when it could be coming... and it's very easy to punish with an usmash (if timed and guessed correctly....risky though), utilt (easy peasy), or Dair (which goes right through the mortar...)

I don't know why you're saying that you completely **** Snake offstage. You do better than some against him offstage, but it isn't instant stock loss. Because just about everyone has a good chance of gimping him if he recovers from below...well...good Snakes don't recover from below. Rising fair in general can hit him if he tries high recoveries, although they're often really obvious, and can be airdodged through. And don't forget about reverse grenade pulls and such.

Going back to my point before...if Snake recovers very high, he is above Fox, and Fox is very good at punishing that...Of course it's not any kind of instant stock loss or anything of the like... but Fox is almost guaranteed to be able to put damage on him. Bair and hard Nair both break Snake's upB...but it's increibly hard to actually gimp him.. Fox just likes putting the extra damage that he is gien basically for free...
Comments above. : )

Reese

Smash Journeyman
So basically for fox vs snake, fox has to rely on a punish/laser game, fox ***** snake offstage and in the air, and snake's grenades are shut down by fox's lasers.

What happens if he places C4's on the other end of the stage? Wouldn't that force fox to come a little closer to snake ? ( Maybe close enough to ftilt or dacus or something ) It is obvious that fox has no landing lag when he shls, but he is vulnerable when he jumps up and shoots the laser. Couldn't snake dacus immediately when fox starts his shls?

What does a fox do on a smaller stage - like smashville or something ? I imagine it would be hard to keep a comfortable 'space' between fox and snake, because the level is kinda small (compared to FD for example). Do you guys just play super extra carefull ?

Baiting/punishing snake's tilt is a good method for fox to fight snake, but what happens if snake decides to mix up how he will tilt you ? e.g. jab to utilt instead of just simply utilting ? Wouldn't that mess up fox's strategy ?

About snakes crouching - couldn't snake use this to help close the distance between him and fox ? I don't mean snake crawling directly in front of fox and dtilting, but far enough for snake to space his ftilt or jab>ftilt? Or would fox just jump over him again and continue shling?

I am snake main - and I don't wanna come of being cocky or w/e. I am just curious about your feedback. Also I have very little experience in this matchup, - I just wanted to shoot these ideas/thoughts out there for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom