• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Discussion #8! Pit

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Steel2nd, please come to a tournament and beat Yes!'s Snake with Marth, Atomsk's Dedede with Marth, and then teh_spamerer's Meta Knight with Marth to show me it's so even.
I don't care for brawl enough to go any more tournaments. Even if i did go, how is that fair seeing as those three have much more overall experience than i do? I wouldn't stand much of a chance imo.

"lol @ Marth only losing "slightly" to Meta Knight and going even with Dedede and Snake"

prove us wrong amirite? ^_^

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
@grandmaster

You do bring up a valid point with dedede's dodge. Neo told me how much trouble he has with d3 simply because of his sidestep. I don't think he approaches with a dtilt though which really limits D3's options when it comes to sidestepping. Bait out those dodges and punish.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Steel2nd, please come to a tournament and beat Yes!'s Snake with Marth, Atomsk's Dedede with Marth, and then teh_spamerer's Meta Knight with Marth to show me it's so even.
I beat Yes' Snake in a MOB Round Robin with Marth on Yoshi's Gayland. He CPed FD and I switched to Wario upon which he switched to Sonic(and he lost of course lulz).

My personal opinion on Marth vs Snake is that it is liberating coming from Meta vs Snake because now I no longer have to play 100% defensive.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I beat Yes' Snake in a MOB Round Robin with Marth on Yoshi's Gayland. He CPed FD and I switched to Wario upon which he switched to Sonic(and he lost of course lulz).
Why the hell did he switch to Sonic? That's one of Sonic's wost matchups (stupid bite, dair, aerial mobility, bike, f-smash, ect.)!:laugh:

dmbrandon

Smash Master
DID I JUST FIND THE ATLANTIC LIZARD'S THREAD AGAIN!?

Seriously, I'm havta pop some verbal caps, soon.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I thought the Match-up thing says "Pit" up there, and yet I hear some rant on King Dedede...
Well, I don't know much about this matchup since I dont main either char, but I have used em both before, and I really hate D3's CG. It has a FIXED knockback and It even affects us Pits. Only lightweights are resistant to it, and Marth isnt one of them. That's all I can say about the penguin, I guess.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Can we please get this back on topic. We are indeed discussing Pit. There are threads Snake, MK, and D3.
Better yet let the thread die. We've had(actually had, not off topic-ness) almost 7 or 8 pages on pit discussion.

Seriously.
We've covered him.
The match up is not that complicated.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I am outraged after seeing this 65-35 thing against Pit being Marth's Favor in that one thread.

For one, I saw that this link right here lacking actual Pit mains discussing about this matchup, as well as that thread being spammed about other useless topics.

Now first I will discuss the basic things here.
Marth gots more range than Pit, and some faster moves (Examples: F-air, D-tilt), but Pit still possesses a great projectile.

In my experience against Marths, a Good Marth's main attack is F-air, with its range and spacing capabilities, as well as it coming out fast and spammable. 2 of these being able to be performed by a SH is just good. Marth can even quickly use this quickly while camping on a ledge. A marth can choose to use this while getting on the ledge, or use it as he's moving back and Up-B back on the ledge quickly.
Apparently Marth's F-air outranges every one of Pit's moves, and Pit's range is within F-tilt and his own F-air.
I already know about Marth's SH double F-air to Fsmash (or Dancing Blade) thing, it is hard to punish.

Then Marth has his Spikes and Tippers, yes I know about them, but Pit really isnt that weak at all.
Just because Marth has quick long-ranged melee attacks does NOT make it an auto-advantage.

Here's what Pit has.

-Pit has his projectile, for one, is one of the best projectiles in the game, aimable, and it's the thing that makes Pit good at long range, and makes up for Pit's lack of melee range compared to most characters. It actually makes Pit really good, in general.

-Marth's recovery is somewhat limited, leaves him somewhat vulnerable to Pit's aimable arrows. So Pit can pick off Marth when trying to recover. If that wasnt enough, a timed Mirror Shield can ruin Marth's recovery, if timed right though it's not as effective as it is on some other chars with limited recoveries, like Ike, Bowser, DK, and Link.
A Pit can edgehog at will, using Up-B close to the ledge will allow him to grab the ledge much quickly. This Up-B near the ledge improves Pit and many ways, like ledgecamping.

-Pit is one of the best gimpers in the game, mostly because of arrows (to eat up jumps and such), F-airs and other pursuing attacks, and great edgeguarding capability. With Marth having a limited recovery, he is vulnerable to arrows in general. Marth's F-airs, however, may discourage some Pits from pursuing Marth with F-airs, B-airs, etc.

-Pit, on the other hand, has much more recovery options than Marth, and though Marth still gots that terrifiying range, Pit could choose to jump and shoot arrows at Marth as he is recovering. However, I'm still aware about Pit getting hit outta his Up-B and all, nothing much we can do there.

-Like Marth, Pit has some good throws. They may not be meant for killing (though U-throw could probably kill at about 200% and F-throw for 190% depending on stage and if not degraded) but they are great for spacing and many possible follow ups. A Pit can chaingrab, but not much (or sometimes at all depending on DI) because of the fear of Marth using his quick Up-B being used.

-Some Marths are predictable with F-airs and Dancing blades and all. If a Pit can time his Mirror Shield in certain cases, he can reverse Marth and capitalize.
For example: Many Marths, while hanging on the ledge, plan to recover by using an F-air. A Pit can reverse that with Mirror Shield and mess Marth up.
Another Example: Mirror Shield a Marth Dancing Blade and attack, simple as that unless the Marth stops the move quickly.

-Keep in mind that even though Marth has his quick long-ranged attacks, Pit has some quick moves of his own, but some of them are also good Shield-pressuring attacks, and even his arrows used in sequences (not just full-spam) can be pressuring, like normal shot then maybe a SH arrow shot.

Also another thing, though this probably wont happen often in this matchup, Pit has a D-tilt spike, where the hitbox for the spike is Pit himself, while the opponent is airborne.

Marth's large threats in the matchup are Pit's excellent gimping ability to stop Marth's recovering in his tracks with arrow after arrow, the arrows themselves when used really well, and the occasional Mirror Shield.

I demand this to be 50-50 Even matchup!
Marth may have the range, speed, tippers and spikes, and some edgeguarding, but Pit still has the projectile, the menacing Mirror Shield, a lot of recovery options, and supreme Edgeguarding/Gimping/Ledgecamping capabilities, as well as some pressuring tactics of his own, which even involve pressuring shields.

Here's also a little fact: Marth is slightly lighter than Pit.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
That argument was terrible.

You focused mostly on the off-stage game when on-stage means a lot more. Olimar for example sucks off stage but his on stage game is amazing.

What Marth's are you playing that just do double fair to fsmash? That's a horrible sequence and approach.

You mentioned Pits throws... what exactly were you trying to prove in that part of your argument?

You can't just say Marth's fairs are predictable so I can throw out my mirror shield. I can just say some Pit's are predictable with their ftilt so i can just counter.

Pit has quick attacks and are his only options for dealing with Marth's zoning if Marth makes a mistake. We know. We covered it.

You admitted yourself that Marth has more range, speed, power, while Pit has a projectile.. a mirror shield... and edge guarding. Doesn't sound like you are convinced Pit can do much up close. You said he can pressure shields, Marth can just up b and hit you back out.

It's well known Marth is lighter than Pit.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
Wow, pit really is unpopular nowadays. That being said, he is an uber noob champion (flying, sparrows, and angel halo? nuff said). Easy win for marth. I superman through the arrows just to rub it in his face later when i kill him at 50% w/ a tipper. Just DI away from pits angel halo and shieldbreaker him. I reccomend going for a spike whenever the opportunity arises (yes this is possible). DB pit as much as you want while on the floor. If u need to approach, crouch and throw out a few d-tilts then if Pit gets wise and aims at you, then SHairdodge in close then swipe him with a fair or two. Seriously, you could win this match with DB, DS, and fair alone.
you sound so ridiculous right here. bet youve never played a good pit. Easy win!?!? PUHHLEEASE!!

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
There are some top players who think the match-up is even like Atomsk and Inui, so I wouldn't say it's completely outrageous. Good pits are hard to come by. Outstanding ones, even more so.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
^Read the topic. People argued to death with Inui and he simply would not advance the argument. He refused to aknowledge that once Marth got into "close range"(for marth's range I mean) combat, Pit had no viable options. The pit players here are admitting that Marth has the advantage at that point. Now they're argument is more around off stage fighting as steel pointed out, but that's not nearly enough to bring this 50:50. Read the thread and understand why Inui thought that before you jump to conclusions.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
^Read the topic. People argued to death with Inui and he simply would not advance the argument. He refused to aknowledge that once Marth got into "close range"(for marth's range I mean) combat, Pit had no viable options. The pit players here are admitting that Marth has the advantage at that point. Now they're argument is more around off stage fighting as steel pointed out, but that's not nearly enough to bring this 50:50. Read the thread and understand why Inui thought that before you jump to conclusions.
I did read the topic and saw good points from both sides. Like others have mentioned, Marth would dominate in close range combat. But if one if playing a very campy Pit who stops Marth from getting within this zone, then I think the match-up would be slightly more difficult. I'm not disputing the current match-up though, as I think it is quite accurate. With arguments for 65:35 and 55:45 both being well-reasoned, 60:40 seems like a good settling ground.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
I was helping another marth with the pit matchup and i figured i would share the knowledge.

" Aight, so here's the gameplan vs pit
First off, walk towards him. He will undoubtedly start spamming away with arrows, so walk to make it easier to powershield each one. After you safely approach him, stay in his face with TIPPER fairs and dtilt(if you dont space it right it's easy to get shield grabbed.) Something I like to do is 0-31% combo with uair to usmash, but if he knows it's coming all that will do is get you punished. It is just good for mixup and looking flashy lol. If he rolls, punish it with dancing blade. All of his smashes are fast but can be punished OOS with dancing blade.

Now that you are in the lead, he will try to ledge camp. My new strategy is just go to the other ledge and hang until he approaches so i dont take unneccecary damage from his planking uairs and arrows. But, if you find yourself behind in damage while he is doing this then you have a few options:
1. You can angle your sheild down during his uair and upB it. This is difficult at times if he spaces it right, but know that you can still upB it.
2. When he uses a jump and aims an arrow at you, you can powershield the arrow and run off the ledge for a fair or 2.
3. If he is really bad at spacing you can try to dtilt him. It wont work on better players but meh, it's safe if he's not uairing.
Like i said, once you are ahead in damage there is no need to try and attack him when he's on the ledge. So just go to the other side once you have caught up.

Marth's ability to gimp pit is the reason this matchup is in his favor. Most pits will try to recover low. Don't waste your energy by chasing him from ledge to ledge because most of the time when he reaches the other side he just starts ledge camping anyway. If he ever makes the mistake of recovering towards you then drop down to fair or DB1 him during the wings and it's over. If he recovers high then chase him with uair. You will probably have to wait for him to airdodge then hit him. If you wait for him to land, unless you are frame perfect, he will most likely spotdodge on ground then fsmash to punish whatever you tried to hit him with when he landed. Sometimes charged usmash hits because he airdodged too early, but more often you will just get grabbed or fsmashed for doing it.

Another fun fact: if you plank on the edge sometimes(like me) with fall back fairs to upB, he can mirror shield your fair and really mess with your timing and sense of things. Dont be caught off guard if this happens. Just double jump and recover normally.

Hope this helped =D"

REPOSTED FROM THE MATCHUP THREAD

SkyRay

Smash Cadet
Almost any stage where you can attack pit from beneath would be a good stage.
Although as long as the pit is careful he won't fall for this much and will most likely stay on bottom unless he gets some good air juggling going on. That is what I do anyways.

I rather hate Castle Siege (being pit) but no other stages I have problems with, so in my opinion that would probably be best counterpick.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
He actually posted something that contributed to the discussion (while dead). If no one wants to talk about it any more then it'll just go to the back pages again.

Top Bottom