• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's/Roy's counter

Impersonator

Smash Cadet
Salutations,

Dear community, I humbly come to you guys to solve a newly sparked debate among this person and I. We were smashing the other day, and the conversation somehow made its way concerning Marth's counter (Down-B). His argument was that counter is a defensive move since the user does not get hurt once he/she deploys it. On my defense I say that counter is an offensive move since the user activates this move only when he/she knows that he/she would get hit and is seeking a form of retaliation. As if the user would honestly want to be defensive he/she would just avoid the hit at altogether (shield, lightshield, side step, wavedash back, jump back, walk/run away).

This is for both debating purposes and to somewhat find out what majority of the community thinks.

~Thanks in advance to those of you sharing your thoughts.

PS: Counter does implement both defense and offense; I know that much, but if you had to pick a side, which one would it be?

mhenlo

Smash Apprentice
Salutations,

Dear community, I humbly come to you guys to solve a newly sparked debate among this person and I. We were smashing the other day, and the conversation somehow made its way concerning Marth's counter (Down-B). His argument was that counter is a defensive move since the user does not get hurt once he/she deploys it. On my defense I say that counter is an offensive move since the user activates this move only when he/she knows that he/she would get hit and is seeking a form of retaliation. As if the user would honestly want to be defensive he/she would just avoid the hit at altogether (shield, lightshield, side step, wavedash back, jump back, walk/run away).

This is for both debating purposes and to somewhat find out what majority of the community thinks.

~Thanks in advance to those of you sharing your thoughts.

PS: Counter does implement both defense and offense; I know that much, but if you had to pick a side, which one would it be?

IMO its kinda both its not that offensive since you can't really follow it up unless you're countering a firefox recovery
and its not that defensive since there are so many more reliable and better things to do

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it's neither offensive nor defensive
it's "situational"

Impersonator

Smash Cadet
For all of you that bothered to answer my post, i appreciate it, although I should of made clear that I was/am looking for an answer with an explanation. One worded answers are pretty much useless.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Counter is classified as a defensive move along with shielding and rolling. Counter is the "true" paper (attacks being rock) while shielding and other defensive moves are soft paper (used to gain neutral footing when in a negative situation)

booshk

Smash Lord
ah thanks, now i know what the post meant. And no, I dont think anyone would ever counter out of shield >.>
well... it happens.. not too many people use it, or use it a lot but it has been done..
jus sayin..

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Down with aerials! SPECIAL MOVES ONLY! Shield-breaker can take the place of f-smash. Over-B can be used in many different ways. Up-B can kill and recover. Counter can... counter. GO SPECIAL MOVES. Obviously, they are the best, lol.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I would say... MARTH's Counter is more of a Defensive move. You wouldn't be using it to punish something like Ganondorf's Warlock Punch; you'd be jumping behind him and taking advantage of his charged-lag state versus just getting a small little Counter in. Counter'd be more suited for incoming Fire Fox's, to prevent damage on yourself if you don't feel confident your tilts will be enough to block (or you got a small shield or something).

In retrospect, I see ROY's Counter as being more towards Offensive. I don't really think any one'd use a Roy Counter to block off small jabs, no, Marth's can do that and gives the same knockback to keep opponents at a fair distance... Roy's just kind of hits them, keeping them within reach regardless. Like Ganon's Warlock Punch... you'd take the time to get in front of that sucker and hit him back with all the force you've got, even at the risk of incorrectly timing your Counter. Takes a WHOLE lot of damage, and there's a high chance you wouldn't get the opportunity to use it on him again... Sounds way more of an Offensive move than a Defensive.

Marth's pushes people away, regardless of what move they used... Jabbing you pretty nicely? Counter, shove 'em off.

Roy's punishes stronger moves... If you're getting jabbed like crazy, better think of something else to use. But if you're opponent's coming in with a Warlock Punch, Bowser/Yoshi butt bombs, then hey, why not sneak in some lovely hurt?

Impersonator

Smash Cadet
@GrimTuesday

Someone either didn't read the whole post or just doesn't get the "pick a side" concept.

Impersonator

Smash Cadet
I would say... MARTH's Counter is more of a Defensive move. You wouldn't be using it to punish something like Ganondorf's Warlock Punch; you'd be jumping behind him and taking advantage of his charged-lag state versus just getting a small little Counter in. Counter'd be more suited for incoming Fire Fox's, to prevent damage on yourself if you don't feel confident your tilts will be enough to block (or you got a small shield or something).

In retrospect, I see ROY's Counter as being more towards Offensive. I don't really think any one'd use a Roy Counter to block off small jabs, no, Marth's can do that and gives the same knockback to keep opponents at a fair distance... Roy's just kind of hits them, keeping them within reach regardless. Like Ganon's Warlock Punch... you'd take the time to get in front of that sucker and hit him back with all the force you've got, even at the risk of incorrectly timing your Counter. Takes a WHOLE lot of damage, and there's a high chance you wouldn't get the opportunity to use it on him again... Sounds way more of an Offensive move than a Defensive.

Marth's pushes people away, regardless of what move they used... Jabbing you pretty nicely? Counter, shove 'em off.

Roy's punishes stronger moves... If you're getting jabbed like crazy, better think of something else to use. But if you're opponent's coming in with a Warlock Punch, Bowser/Yoshi butt bombs, then hey, why not sneak in some lovely hurt?
Thanks for this elaborated response. You're the first one to do so, I appreciate it. On a side note, if i was playing Marth and some ganon tried warlock punching me, I would straight up counter it, since counter gives out the same knockback and power and the move that it absorbed. Nice way to refresh other moves too. That's just me though.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
@GrimTuesday

Someone either didn't read the whole post or just doesn't get the "pick a side" concept.
I read the post, I was pointing out how stupid it was.

Why should I have to pick between one of them? It is both. It's like if I asked you "Who gave birth to you?, oh, and you can't say it was your mum". You asked a question and then told people they couldn't say the answer.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I read the post, I was pointing out how stupid it was.

Why should I have to pick between one of them? It is both. It's like if I asked you "Who gave birth to you?, oh, and you can't say it was your mum". You asked a question and then told people they couldn't say the answer.

LOL someone is mad they didn't really get the question. Go to the 12 year old threads son.
Anyways counter is both but if i had to pick a side i would say defensive. Reason why is because people often use it to get out of pressure or to safely return to the ground after being sent to the air.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Thanks for this elaborated response. You're the first one to do so, I appreciate it. On a side note, if i was playing Marth and some ganon tried warlock punching me, I would straight up counter it, since counter gives out the same knockback and power and the move that it absorbed. Nice way to refresh other moves too. That's just me though.
...you're talking about brawl right?

Marth's melee counter has set damage and just barely more knockback than a jab.

And refreshing moves isn't that important in melee.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
LOL someone is mad they didn't really get the question. Go to the 12 year old threads son.
Anyways counter is both but if i had to pick a side i would say defensive. Reason why is because people often use it to get out of pressure or to safely return to the ground after being sent to the air.
I got the question, I'm obviously more mature than you considering your trolling in that post, disrespect to my intelligence because of my age, etc...

It is defensive as it is used to defend against attacks, and offensive because it damages the enemy. In other words, not either but both.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I got the question, I'm obviously more mature than you considering your trolling in that post, disrespect to my intelligence because of my age, etc...

It is defensive as it is used to defend against attacks, and offensive because it damages the enemy. In other words, not either but both.
Btw for you and everyone that was uh... (dont know his username) but it was Luis posting on my account not actually me so don't be hatin on you bud Xaltis XD

Impersonator

Smash Cadet
Well thanks to all of you for your information, I can now come up with a conclusion. Counter can be used either defensively or offensively, really depends of the situation and player's style.

toadturtle3

Smash Cadet
I honestly think Marth's counter is defensive and Roy's counter is offensive. When I'm Marth I'll use counter when I know I'm going to be hit and I can't think of a better way out of it. It's a reaction to their offense that causes me to activate it. Maybe that's a ledge hop counter, escaping an advancing falco's lasers, or a firefox coming in at a tough angle.

When I'm roy though, I feel like counter is one of my only killing moves. When I play anyone good they know to DI away from his sweetspot so fsmash never connects right. I get frustrated and counter becomes a part of offense. I plan to find a situation to kill them with it. It is certainly not a defensive reaction at that point.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Counter is a defensive move.When someone attacks you he can leave himself open for a counter attack.You can't counter attack without defending the initial attack first.

cjugs

Smash Ace
Marth's is just what it's called that's a counter so you are pretty much saying in general is a counter offensive or defensive. Roy's is just broken. :D

Top Bottom