• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retroking2000

Smash Master
I'm having a bit of trouble with my friend's Shiek. His Shiek is more advanced than most others I've played. In particular, he grabs much more often than other Shiek's I've played, so when I try to shield-grab his running a he grabs me first. He uses the fair a lot, and he always starts off the match by throwing needles at me until I'm right next to him, which he then grabs me and pulls an evil combo. Any advise?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
That's fox. He has a one frame move.

What do you expect?

Any spot dodge can look sucky if you get hit in one frame right after you come out of it.

It's a dodge. Not a you-are-totally-untouchable-defensive-move-for-like-20-seconds.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Not as good as samus's.

Well, the dancing blades timing tends to slow down when i hit someone with it, is that supposed to happen... =/ ?
There are frames of hitlag which don't count towards the the "total frames until you can use the next part of the attack" (that may or may not make sence to you). So yes. The timing for every attack is slower when there is more hitlag.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Please help with tips on how to fight Marios

I would like to have someone explain to me what to expect when fighting a advanced Mario with Marth, how to fight against them, and what good combos work at certain percentages. I just need some tips as how to approach the battle as a whole. thanks for you guys help. :)

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
That's fox. He has a one frame move.

What do you expect?

Any spot dodge can look sucky if you get hit in one frame right after you come out of it.

It's a dodge. Not a you-are-totally-untouchable-defensive-move-for-like-20-seconds.
haha :(

i guess u got me there lol i still think it sucks :p but i guess its debatable T_T

AzureKiteSky

Smash Cadet
I've got a question myself now. Veryoften you'll see Marth players using edgeguarding stategies that involve grabbing the edge of the stage, and then letting go to use a foreward smash in midair without falling too far to recover.

I use this strategy myself but have recently heard that there are other methods of doing this. I'd like to know weather or not im doing it wrong, so what controls do you (personally) use for this? (My fingers will often get screwed up with the way I do it, so let me know.)

Also, if what I've just said sounds like jibberish, my bad.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
If you want to let go of the stage and fair then the best way to do it would be to hold away from the stage to let go and c-stick fowrard. If you wanted to bair then the easiet way (not neccesarily the most effective) would be to simply hold away from the stage and hit A.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
this is just a request since i know a lot of my fellow marth's read this thread...soon i'm going to have a critique thread on some vids of me..i played horrendously, but regardless no johns...but ya i took 8 stock and 9 stock off in crews...and honestly i'm amazed at that..so many bad things..

also if anyone can direct me to the link help thread i really didn't know what i was doing in that match though i still won.

but ya for some reason i can't use mindgames at tournaments..i just get too nervous and go on autopilot instead of truly playing smart.

also i did some amazingly stupid stuff..like try to counter the bair that i expected from falco and then get killed when he didn't do it..i probably should have just air dodged if i thought he was coming up? or maybe i should have gone low like normal...i think the full jump bair comes out a little fast to react so i wanted to guess the time

also i was playing stupid against falco and didn't punish very well on his lasering...i was double jumping too much..as well as i probably should have fastfalled to dash under his lasers more...as well as short wd out of shield...and i didn't even get a counter off...oh well..i still won i guess..but i played him in friendlies and lost once on FD..and then 3 stocked him again...it's all dependent on the chaingrabs..and i get nervous and miss in tourneys.

anyways, i dont mind ruthless critiques..especially since i already know i did horribly..but for now i should probably ask an actual question

here we'll start with this..what do you do when you grab link...i'm guessing techchase? can fthrow to fsmash work? i used it a fwe times but a time or so he DIed it and then it hit the shield...

i'm guessing he can DI it down like marth?

also i was really stupid in that matchup in particular so be ruthless...cause i like tried to dash crossover, but link's grab starts behind him..i should be mixing up either grabs after fair on his shield..or spot dodge..i got grabbed way too much...i also went in for grabs in a predictable manner and got up b ed out of shield by link...should have been more cautious...stupid projectiles were making me blindly aggressive.

Anyways, just off the top of my head i expect at least sonicwave, emblem lord, bluedeath, and anyone else..i notice a lot of names on this thread..someone should be able to help me..that was just B team play..

Oh-no ***** me with sheik 1 and 2 stock..and i've never played a sheik that good before with my marth.

anyways since it was B team i wanted at least 12 stock for my 5..but juan is a beast...i think he or poehlcat is there best..i didn't get to play polecat? or whatever his name is..would've been nice to get some luigi experience with my fox or sheik

Snakeee

Smash Master
What's the better counterpick against spacies for someone thats got chaingrabbing down fine? Should I usually go for FD or a small platform stage like Yoshi's Story/Battlefield/FoD? Once I get a good chain grab going it can be an instant stock, but so can a spike/tipper through platforms. It's a tough decision for me. Thanks

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
it depends really if u fight a campy fox id say FD so that you wouldnt have to chase him all over the stage

id even fight falcos there but its my preference CG = death

generally i would stay away from DL and Poke Stadium spacies generally do good on poke stadium

and it doesnt seem you can F-smash tipper spacies on the DL platforms(not positive though)

go to YS everybody hates marth there for a reason :) however just pick where you like to play if u fight a campy player i guess i would pick a smaller stage

Snakeee

Smash Master
Hmm, yeah YS is actually my best stage I think, and most foxes I've fought were very aggressive. I guess it does have alot to do with who I'm playing against though. Thanks for the input.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Hmm, yeah YS is actually my best stage I think, and most foxes I've fought were very aggressive. I guess it does have alot to do with who I'm playing against though. Thanks for the input.
if you fight players who tend to be aggro i would go FD or battlefield or watever its just me i feel better knowing i have more room to work with also DD camping OWNS ultra aggro foxes

>_>

Snakeee

Smash Master
That's another good point, I wasn't thinking about that thanks. Also, I have another question. I don't know why but my worst matchup with Marth is......Marth...o_O
I don't know why, but I have a better chance against a good Sheik than even a somewhat decent Marth. Any quick tips for Marth dittos? Thanks again.

edit: sorry that was too broad a question. The main problem is that I end up getting tippered when trying to get into tipper range myself lol. I seem to have a problem spacing against another Marth.

Randizzle

Smash Ace
marth dittos are a very different matchup. marth dittos = moving around pretty to get grabs. take advantage of combo setups when you can. edgeguard well. be careful with fsmash. tilts are really nice.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Marth dittos are really rough i tend not to do them either just because he isnt my main and i typically hate them lmao

well dont F-smash randomly it means u get f-smashed

i like dash attacks although over usage = death cuz of the ******** lag that follows it

personally i think the match up is like all mindgames and taking control of watever board you are on

dont try to shield grab good marths it probably wont happen i actually forget about it cuz i never think itll work

but marth's combos are outrageously good on marth ... so yea... its like a falco ditto to me lol 1 hit could lead to like death.. O_o its crazy

me i like to stay out of range a little and attack if the mess up or i see a counter attack oppurtunity but thats really the way i play with him in general

iankobe

Smash Lord
Tips on matchup against Shiek Please.

I've only beat my friend's Shiek like 4-5 times before. Now I can't even beat it anymore. I think I've forgotten how to fight against Shiek with Marth.

Tips please? It really annoys me everytime I lose to him because I used to beat his Shiek with my Marth.

p.s. He needles a lot...-_-

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Tips on matchup against Shiek Please.

I've only beat my friend's Shiek like 4-5 times before. Now I can't even beat it anymore. I think I've forgotten how to fight against Shiek with Marth.

Tips please? It really annoys me everytime I lose to him because I used to beat his Shiek with my Marth.

p.s. He needles a lot...-_-
lol its nothing to be upset about Sheik is a pretty difficult match for marth

its hard just watch out for dash attacks its really good sometimes they can do it so they end up behind you and if you are in the air its like instant combo

IMO you should stay close enough so she cant camp vs u and far enough where she can like instantly JC grab you or in other words spacing is really important here movement is importnat

Dash dancing is a good idea as another posted previously grabbing at very low percentages should be up-throw up-tilt, up-tilt.. yea....

just watch out its a very difficult match up and you're going to need some experience

Retroking2000

Smash Master
get tipper hits .. space yourself and you will not get grabbed and also dancing blade works nicely .
and beacuse sheik style is so offensive .rolling is quite good but dont use it all the time and also dtilt is a very good move against sheik

Snakeee

Smash Master
Well I know Vanz had it, and I thought someone else did too lol. I don't know much about Pokemon anymore but isn't mawville a city not a character? But anyway, back to Marth questions. Everyone says that Mario and Doc are easily Ken Comboed, but a good Mario usually is keen to that and pulls there Up-B out too quickly. That move seems to have alot of priority, but is it that I'm not using the spike fast enough? Or is it not really useful against good Marios?

LouisStevens722

Smash Rookie
Trying to incorproate more grabs into my game as I main Marth, and 2nd-ary several other characters with good grabs. I got to wondering what the general opinion is on whether to use Z or LA to grab?

Levitas

the moon
Teczero's sig is a Mawile, though I think there is a city that is something like mauville in Pokemon.

As far as grabs go, if you want to do an approaching grab, jcing is the way to go (jump cancelling). To do this, press x or y as you run at them, then immediately press z. That will increase your range because the jump makes the grab a standing grab, which has a longer range than a dashing grab (simply pressing z while running).

There are a bunch of ways to punish shield grabbing, but I don't think you're talking about that from the way you posted. Regardless, jcing grabs are generally the way to go with marth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom