• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Discussion Thread

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
nair got nerfed since short hops are higher :(

I dont SH much, Its not really needed, because I play at Hyrule all the time.. because SH is higher, we'll just have to throw our opponents higher as well. wish we had a good video or two of Marth's Grab gameplay.

Sorry to Doublepost.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
Uh, No. its got ISAI Frames or somthing like that, as soon as he starts to pull his arm back (or somthing like that, you can enter another move...

Thought of somthing like this.

Dtilt + Fsmash + Fair + Dair.

Gonna have to see if Marth's speed can keep up with the enemy after the Fsmash.

I'll Try to find a Good/Amazing/Godly Marth vs. Meta video. Just because Meta = Marths new rival by the looks of things.
I've been unable to find one right now as well. The only one I've seen was with Meta Knight fighting Marth to unlock him and even then, it was a computer player who barely nailed any hits. There's got to be a good match of these two fine swordsman somewhere out there.

Okysho

Smash Ace
I don't really SH either, never needed to... (just like edgeguarding muhahahaha) I like to fight at the temple too, but sometimes it's better to choose a different stage to really test your abilities (which is pretty much any stage other than Final Destination and Temple)

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I've been unable to find one right now as well. The only one I've seen was with Meta Knight fighting Marth to unlock him and even then, it was a computer player who barely nailed any hits. There's got to be a good match of these two fine swordsman somewhere out there.
Yeah, But Meljin vs. a Pro Meta would be the most amazing match ever.

/sigh

We'll have to settle for the first we can find.

I don't really SH either, never needed to... (just like edgeguarding muhahahaha) I like to fight at the temple too, but sometimes it's better to choose a different stage to really test your abilities (which is pretty much any stage other than Final Destination and Temple)
<3 The bottom of the temple. I love bouncing my freind off the walls/Celining to the point where he's about to cry :laugh:

Guess I know where we're going to play our first Match against eachother, Okysho.

Link to a thread with ALL of marths alt colors. High quality pics.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3850524#post3850524

InfiniDragon615

Smash Journeyman
Got to finally play it today. :) My early thoughts on this Marth are good, very much so.

Marth's got a new ground option, yay. Dancing Blade is so good now; instead of knocking them around it keeps them in for the whole combo, and it's a whole lot faster now. It stuffs a rushdown quick. This in my opinion is the way to approach when not doing Fair. I'd say use this a lot, especially since most Melee folks aren't expecting the new version. :chuckle:

His recovery is a lot different now, and arguably worse. Instead of the horizontal we had with the Dancing Blade, most of his recovery comes from the new and improved Dolphin Slash. Which incidentally, you don't have to be right next to someone to smack them at full force with anymore. Shield Breaker is good for horizontal recovery, but not as good as Dancing Blade.

I also happened to get off his FS a few times. That thing is vicious. The reach seems to extend to the height of his body, perhaps higher. Way, way good.

Tipper is still GGPO on contact. Tilts are still good, and his air game still rocks. So yeah, bring on Brawl.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Got to finally play it today. :) My early thoughts on this Marth are good, very much so.

Marth's got a new ground option, yay. Dancing Blade is so good now; instead of knocking them around it keeps them in for the whole combo, and it's a whole lot faster now. This in my opinion is the way to approach when not doing Fair. I'd say use this a lot, especially since most Melee folks aren't expecting the new version. :chuckle:

His recovery is a lot different now, and arguably worse. Instead of the horizontal we had with the Dancing Blade, most of his recovery comes from the new and improved Dolphin Slash. Which incidentally, you don't have to be right next to someone to smack them at full force with anymore. Shield Breaker is good for horizontal recovery, but not as good as Dancing Blade.

I also happened to get off his FS a few times. That thing is vicious. The reach seems to extend to the height of his body, perhaps higher. Way, way good.

Tipper is still GGPO on contact. Tilts are still good, and his air game still rocks. So yeah, bring on Brawl.
Sounds good, Glad we have a guy that has the game around to help out with some of the missing info. but no Subspace Info for me, Y'hear?!

lol count on it! Where I come from we call it the fight club! But yeah, it'll probably be a Marth vs Marth when we get the chance! Bwahahahahahaaa

Btw nice link!
Hah. thanks, anything to help the threads with the real info around here stay up to date.

Where I come from... we call it...............................

Hyrule. Marth vs. Marth is always a fun fight, I call Normal Blue Marth!

InfiniDragon615

Smash Journeyman
Yup, sure. I only get to play for about an hour or a little more per day since I'm playing at work (yay for game testers with JP Wiis), but if I can answer a question or help out our new little Marth community, I will.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Yup, sure. I only get to play for about an hour or a little more per day since I'm playing at work (yay for game testers with JP Wiis), but if I can answer a question or help out our new little Marth community, I will.
Hey, Atleast your playing, you got any other good Smashers around there? Somebody who I dont know.. could play a Marth vs. MK Match, and get it on video, and post it here so we can get a sneak peak of what we're up against?

I dont know how much your testing it, but... Wifi Quality info is nice too.

InfiniDragon615

Smash Journeyman
Hey, Atleast your playing, you got any other good Smashers around there? Somebody who I dont know.. could play a Marth vs. MK Match, and get it on video, and post it here so we can get a sneak peak of what we're up against?

I dont know how much your testing it, but... Wifi Quality info is nice too.
I'm not testing the game, we play at lunch. :chuckle: The company I work for isn't under Nintendo or anything (I wish). As for vids, can't be done. Video inside the building is punishable by termination and a steep fine. :ohwell:

On Marth vs. MK, I actually seemed to handle him pretty well. His range is mean, but that Dancing Blade is so quick, you can get him off you pretty fast.

The entire game just changed! Read this thread and be in awe of Sakurai's genius!

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141977&page=14
As I said on Shoryuken.com (my main forum), this isn't as big a thing for Marth as it is for others (Peach, cough cough). The attack only loses power if it connects to my understanding and limited experience. Since Marth in Brawl will mostly using Fair, tilts and Dancing Blade, when that Fsmash comes out it's gonna sting.

Dan2

Smash Apprentice
A question comes to mind. If we spam the fair for damage, will the knockback lessen to the extent that the Ken Combo will return?
EDIT: oops, just saw that someone had already asked that in another thread. ~_~

Also, I'm really excited and cannot wait to play Brawl.
(Stupid South Carolina and college)

spartansknight

Smash Rookie
Okay, please don't flame me for this but I have two questions.

1) What exactly is a "shield break/breaker"?

2) http://youtube.com/watch?v=5142fHYDdBc
On this video, at 1:52, when Marth tries to recover, he isn't facing towards the stage but somehow manages to turn around in the air, anyone know what this is about? Did he use >B?

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Okay, please don't flame me for this but I have two questions.

1) What exactly is a "shield break/breaker"?

2) http://youtube.com/watch?v=5142fHYDdBc
On this video, at 1:52, when Marth tries to recover, he isn't facing towards the stage but somehow manages to turn around in the air, anyone know what this is about? Did he use >B?
1) Shield Breaker is Marth's neutral B.

2) That's just a result of the new mechanics. Whenever you're close to the ledge (even if you're facing away from it), your character "snaps" to it and grabs on. I've heard some moves don't do this though.

Okysho

Smash Ace
Sounds good, Glad we have a guy that has the game around to help out with some of the missing info. but no Subspace Info for me, Y'hear?!

Hah. thanks, anything to help the threads with the real info around here stay up to date.

Where I come from... we call it...............................

Hyrule. Marth vs. Marth is always a fun fight, I call Normal Blue Marth!
Lol take it, I'll probably be godly white Marth or badass black Marth! Muhahahahhhaaaaa

That's just a result of the new mechanics. Whenever you're close to the ledge (even if you're facing away from it), your character "snaps" to it and grabs on. I've heard some moves don't do this though.
I'm glad they added this in, no more stupid deaths because you're half an inch away from the edge of the stage... Also, this makes Tether recovering easier, so you don't have to aim or anything... But Marth doesn't have that, he's got pure skills! Muhahahahhaahaaa

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Lol take it, I'll probably be godly white Marth or badass black Marth! Muhahahahhhaaaaa

I'm glad they added this in, no more stupid deaths because you're half an inch away from the edge of the stage... Also, this makes Tether recovering easier, so you don't have to aim or anything... But Marth doesn't have that, he's got pure skills! Muhahahahhaahaaa
Black is awesome IMO. Turning around with B>/B< is nothing new, but the Auto sweetspot is pure ownage.

Its called Sheild Breaker because it Breaks sheilds, Kinda usefull, but it used to be better for its edgeguard, now its just Marth's longest range attack.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I thought it was called shield breaker because.... well that's just what they called it... if you look at the trophy anyways....
It -does- Break sheilds, well. it does like... 2 or 3 times as much damage to a sheild than a normal attack, It dosent break it right away though, and if you think about it, a Stab sorta seems better for an attack that would break your opponents guard..

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised on the Dojo that Sakurai did not mention the Dolphin Slash at all. Its different this time around compared to how it was used in Melee and how he does not tell how it works differently compared to Ike's "Aether." Critical Hit is a lame name. I would have preferred it being something different but eh. I didn't program this game so I can't have much insight to why they chose such bland names.

RocketDarkness

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised on the Dojo that Sakurai did not mention the Dolphin Slash at all. Its different this time around compared to how it was used in Melee and how he does not tell how it works differently compared to Ike's "Aether." Critical Hit is a lame name. I would have preferred it being something different but eh. I didn't program this game so I can't have much insight to why they chose such bland names.
Bland name? Clearly you have not played enough Fire Emblem, because otherwise the term "critical hit" would strike FEAR into your heart. 3x damage is usually enough to fell all but the toughest adversaries. There's nothing more disheartening than an opponent landing a critical hit and getting that devastating 3x multiplier, forcing you to restart the entire level.

Applied to Brawl, you could almost say it's like putting a 3x multiplier on a F-smashed tipper. Instant death! Fear the "Critical Hit."

EDIT: Also, the Dojo posted some interesting numbers for Marth's counter, so I'm repeating them here for the sake of data gathering.

"Let’s continue. Marth’s counterattack delivers damage at 1.1 times the power of the attack he was hit with and will always do a minimum of 8% damage.

Regardless of the damage dealt, counters will not knock back opponents any further than the attack deflected."

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
yh marth looks awesome but anyone noticed how his sword looks smaller?

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
the sword range is what bothers me the most, also i dont like the new slash animations..... they see like incomplete sometimes in comparison with the melee ones, where you could behold the whole slash.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Marth's counter being toned up is a big deal. Before it wasn't worth it most of the time, but now it very much is.

I wanna see a C.Falcon scrub try and falcon punch me now.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Marth's counter being toned up is a big deal. Before it wasn't worth it most of the time, but now it very much is.

I wanna see a C.Falcon scrub try and falcon punch me now.
Yeah, it only does 1% Better than before(Low counter in Melee is 7%, In Brawl 8%)
on low power hits, but we've seen alot more hard hitters in Brawl, so theres more hard hits to counter

InfiniDragon615

Smash Journeyman
I'll admit, the sword length seems a little.. wrong.. I like what I see so far.
I guess they were making it true to the original weapon which was a bit shorter and more broad than the Melee Falchion. But, I quickly got used to it even though it seems like a major difference. Not to mention this game also has Ragnell which is effing huge, so we might be biased there. :laugh: Oh, and did I mention the Master Sword-style glow with every attack looks awesome? Cause it really does.

As for the counter, I can say that the 1% makes a huge difference in knockback. Maybe not KO worthy like Ike's, but it gets them a great deal further than the Melee version, especially after a power hit.

Starry Might

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised on the Dojo that Sakurai did not mention the Dolphin Slash at all. Its different this time around compared to how it was used in Melee and how he does not tell how it works differently compared to Ike's "Aether."
They didn't say anything about Shield Breaker, either...which is lame since it's a stabbing move now. :ohwell:

The rest of the info is good stuff, though. :)

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
They didn't say anything about Shield Breaker, either...which is lame since it's a stabbing move now. :ohwell:

The rest of the info is good stuff, though. :)
Yup.

MARTH VS. MK VIDEO FOUND! ZOMG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFB9J9xME_s

Staring our favorite Bowser Fsmasher, Gimpyfish

Sadly, this isnt a very good match, I found this in a MK video thread, and the Marth obviously isnt a Marth mainer, But its better than no MK video, right?

Okysho

Smash Ace
I guess they were making it true to the original weapon which was a bit shorter and more broad than the Melee Falchion. But, I quickly got used to it even though it seems like a major difference. Not to mention this game also has Ragnell which is effing huge, so we might be biased there. :laugh: Oh, and did I mention the Master Sword-style glow with every attack looks awesome? Cause it really does.

As for the counter, I can say that the 1% makes a huge difference in knockback. Maybe not KO worthy like Ike's, but it gets them a great deal further than the Melee version, especially after a power hit.
Of course it glows, the falchion MUST glow! IF you've ever played FE3 before the falchion is used, it glows and sparkles! ULTIMATE POWER OF THE UNIVERSE!!! Of course... it's Marth....

Okysho

Smash Ace
yes... very true...

Do you still hear people saying that Marth is a girl/gay? Even with today's update, which totally makes Marth look SO much more masculine that in Melee, I'm still hearing that! It's starting to piss me off! Marth is straight! He's engaged to Sheeda!

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Well you must admit that the bishounen look doesn't really help him/her. >_>

His/her voice doesn't help either.

But I'll agree that she is quite handsome, or at least Sheeda must think so. :p

SiShenDao

Smash Apprentice
it doesn't matter to me that they call him gay, my friends have called him gay because of the way he looks and I just go 3/4 stock them in about 3 minutes using marth :p

SuperShrine

Smash Rookie
I don't think that Marth is a gay; he looks like a man, he acts like a man, he is a man; and he is in the context of the Medieval...in that era nobody consider the gays, they weren't see.

Oh well, it's good to see Marth in Brawl:laugh:

InfiniDragon615

Smash Journeyman
Whoa there. Ike is just as awesome as Marth is. FE characters in SSB=awesome.

As for Marth, he's most definitely hetero even with a tiara. Anyone who would honestly think otherwise hasn't actually looked into his backstory I suppose. I mean come on, he only marries Sheeda and all. :laugh:

Top Bottom