• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Party. It's personal

MBreeto

Smash Ace
Seriously. Mario Party ends friendships. It is supposed to be this happy, friendly party game, but when you look closer, this game is evil. For example, visiting Boo. Stealing stars can seriously make someone not talk to you for over a week. You steal their star, then all of a sudden you're the bad guy because they say, "well why couldn't you have stolen (insert name)'s star?!" It really puts you in an awkward situation. Then, there's team battles, where you get put on a team with your friend, and as soon as you lose, you instantly start blaming each other for losing. I am being completely honest with saying that every single game of Mario Party that I've played has not stayed happy all the way through. Basically, this game is evil and stay away.

Now to turn this thread into something not worthless. Do you guys know any other games that get personal? (Super Smash Brothers is obvious)

Alzi

Smash Master
It is probaly just you. You need to learn to stay calm during games and not get angry since it is just a game.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
It is probaly just you. You need to learn to stay calm during games and not get angry since it is just a game.
It's not me. Trust me, everyone I play with agrees that it gets personal. Also, I don't want to sound like a ****, but don't tell me I need to learn to stay calm when you obviously don't know me. Sorry if that sounds mean, but hopefully you would see it from my side (as if you were in my shoes reading your post)

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Kirby Air Ride

When your in city trial and you kill sombody's warp star and they die while losing all their powerups and you end up stealing them all.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Now to turn this thread into something not worthless. Do you guys know any other games that get personal? (Super Smash Brothers is obvious)
When you're acquaintance steels the Drum PPSh that you worked hard for and ***** you for the rest of the game. That pisses me off.

Gamerwolf

Smash Rookie
id say mario kart but i know wat your saying about mario party like when someone steps on a bowser spot and evrybody has to do the game they all get pissed off at you

Lovely

Smash Lord
Street Figher is the only game that make's me mad when I'm losing....

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Last time I played Mario Party with friends the GameCube got unplugged someone became so angry at me. I got all of their stars during Chance Time, and then stole most of their coins the next turn.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Mario Kart 64 definitely ends friendships.

It is tradition amongst my friends and I to play Wario Stadium first, whenever we boot up the game. In just about every game, someone manages to snag a lightning bolt right when one or two of the rest of us are about to make the leap of faith over that last jump in the course, on the last lap. And those people either fall back down on the track below, or brake just in time to sit in front of the jump, waiting to get big again, and watching their chances at victory drive past them. It's maddening.

None of my friends are high-strung enough to throw tantrums, but there's always lots of exasperated sighing and controller dropping.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Heh, the last time I remember playing Mario Party with friends was...actually many years ago, with Mario Party 4. The Gamecube ended up getting reset mid-game...but that was the controller's fault. My friend seriously had an intensely glitched controller that did stupid glitches (the kinds you commonly see on some GC controllers), and that time while playing it decided to reset the Gamecube every time we moved the controller...

After that, my friend took a hammer to it and smashed the hell out of it. The controller, that is.

I have a tendency to get angry while playing games sometimes, but I don't think my friends have ever gotten intensely angry or offended over Mario Party, or any game at all. I'll admit I'm a rather poor loser sometimes, but my friends are generally pretty chilled out and I never get REALLY angry, although I sometimes resort to being short and making lots of johns.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
Okay, so once at a family party I had 3 little cousins who were all peacefully playing Mario Party DS together. Well my one little cousin tends to be kinda psychotic. Seriously, this kid needs like mental help, or better parents, mostly the parents thing. Anyways my psycho little cousin starts being a little braggart (by little I mean massive) after winning a few minigames in a row, and he was annoying the crap out of everyone. So I told him he needed to stop being a jerk to his cousins and play the game. The kid made some smart *** reply and kept it up. After a little bit the tide started turning though, and soon he got point of tears. The game ended when he screamed at my other cousins " I'm gonna rip out your throats and stamp on your graves". I hate family parties..........

MBreeto

Smash Ace
Last time I played Mario Party with friends the GameCube got unplugged someone became so angry at me. I got all of their stars during Chance Time, and then stole most of their coins the next turn.
rofl. That's the kinda bull**** to expect from Mario Party.

DDM

Smash Journeyman
I could be wrong, but for the most part isn't the point of these games to pound on each other? You kind of have to know that going in, and be prepared for whatever happens.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
You guys should play dokapon kingdom.

It's an evil version of mario party. Occasionally the game screws you over so unbelivable badly. One of my friends managed to get killed by a monster 15 levels below him through no fault of his own (so, so funny). Upon respawning, he got killed by a field spell instantly. Upon respawning again, a random in-game event takes all his money. The turn after, another in-game event surrounds him with blocks, preventing him from moving for another 2 turns :laugh:.

None of my friends are sore losers though and we tend not to gang up on each other to the point it destroys the game. Party games aren't fun when you feel like you can't do anything to catch up.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I lost a friend to melee, when I beat his fox with my link 6 times in a row, first times I ever beat him( we were about near pro level, all the tech and everything) But he was an a$$hat on most games, but I guess this just pushed him to far, he doesn't speak to me, and hates when people say his meat-knight is gay, cause he spams

anyway, yeah my sis hits me every time I own her in Mario party

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Mario Kart Wii

Being in first place and getting smashed with around 5 different items in a row is not fun -_-

It only gets worse when your on your last lap and get hit with a blue, green, red shell out of nowhere.
Just another reason I never play this game with my brother. One time, he literally threw the controller to the ground and was making a face like he was about to kill me. Then he picked up his controller and started playing again.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if he DIDN'T control himself >_>

-:bowser:Bowser King

Overload

Smash Lord
Heh, the last time I remember playing Mario Party with friends was...actually many years ago, with Mario Party 4. The Gamecube ended up getting reset mid-game...but that was the controller's fault. My friend seriously had an intensely glitched controller that did stupid glitches (the kinds you commonly see on some GC controllers), and that time while playing it decided to reset the Gamecube every time we moved the controller...

After that, my friend took a hammer to it and smashed the hell out of it. The controller, that is.
I had a third party controller that did that. I smashed it.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
Kirby Air Ride ruins friendships. Either when you kill someone like jigglymaster said, or when someone starts getting dragoon/hydra pieces. O_O

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
Dude, when my friends and I used to play Mario Party 2, we'd always get angry, but it was done in a joking way, because we knew we'd still be cool no matter what happened. Mario Party typically envokes that kind of reaction, but it's just the people who are general sore losers who make it worse.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
Dude, when my friends and I used to play Mario Party 2, we'd always get angry, but it was done in a joking way, because we knew we'd still be cool no matter what happened. Mario Party typically envokes that kind of reaction, but it's just the people who are general sore losers who make it worse.
This is pretty much exactly what I'm getting at. We joking let mad at each other because the game was programed by a plate of ****. And basically, that plate of **** rubbed off into the game, causing those moments that are so frustrating, bull****, and ********, that its funny.

A_man13

Smash Master
My family used to be a group of Mario Party addicts (seriously, if my cousins were over, it was nonstop MP5) and they did get competetive. Being the oldest, I was amazing at minigames (at least enough for me to beat them on all the non-mashing or luck games) and that alone was enough for me to always win. They get angry over me doing good and quit often. Course now they don't trust me because I sometimes cheated when they were younger and used all of their items in horible ways (lamps when they didn't have enough coins to get a star, capsules when they had chain chomps, etc.) while they were taking a quick bathroom break. They no longer use the restroom when they play unless they are about to die.

Heck, any game gets so competetive around this house. Mario Baseball and golf were nightly affairs that determined whether you got bragging rights or humilation (as well as many on purpous resets and quiting). Madden got big for a while between the boys in my family sans me. Heck even 1P guitar hero gets competetive when my sister wants us to get off. The taunts are outlandish; "Get off that stupid game right now so I can watch TV," "Let me get on American Idol Kariokie you stupid moron jerk face. Just for not letting me on by now you have to listen me sing a song," and "Get off *tackles, punches, screams, rams, etc.*."

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Course now they don't trust me because I sometimes cheated when they were younger and used all of their items in horible ways (lamps when they didn't have enough coins to get a star, capsules when they had chain chomps, etc.) while they were taking a quick bathroom break. They no longer use the restroom when they play unless they are about to die.
What a ****ty thing to do. If I were any of them, I wouldn't want to play with you anymore either. Are you sure they got upset with you because you beat them at most of the minigames? Or is it because you're a total cheater-face?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Pretty much any multi player game I can think of.

But yeh Mario party would be at the top. People get sop angry when you steal a star. Im not gonna lie. I do to! you feel like your being picked on, even though you know your not.

Also I remember way back when I played smash64 with my friends, people use to team up on someone in free for all. Some times wed get in a big fight lol, because someone was the best so everyone teamed on them.

Oh and MARIO KART! If your playing with items and you get robbed of your first place postition from some item combo.(lightning, Redshell, Blue Shell) you get real ****ed! That never turns out good....

§leepy God

Smash Master
Only people that got angry over Mario Party would be children or very strong mini game players.

But I'll say that Super Smash Bros. 64 end the some of my friends friendship.

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
You guys should play dokapon kingdom.

It's an evil version of mario party. Occasionally the game screws you over so unbelivable badly. One of my friends managed to get killed by a monster 15 levels below him through no fault of his own (so, so funny). Upon respawning, he got killed by a field spell instantly. Upon respawning again, a random in-game event takes all his money. The turn after, another in-game event surrounds him with blocks, preventing him from moving for another 2 turns :laugh:.
Eff Dokapon Kingdom. Some friends and I have been playing that game and I've had some of the most BS luck in that game. Though it's definitely fun and better than Mario Party in some aspects IMO I think Dokapon takes too long to finish a game.

Mario Party also pretty much falls under this category for me and friends. In fact over the weekend my roomate, a friend, his girlfriend, and me played some Mario Party 2. There was the usual for fun trash-talking etc., however my friend's girlfriend likes to punch hard and often about any little thing not going her way. The funny thing is she actually ended up winning.

A_man13

Smash Master
What a ****ty thing to do. If I were any of them, I wouldn't want to play with you anymore either. Are you sure they got upset with you because you beat them at most of the minigames? Or is it because you're a total cheater-face?
I did it once when I was young and stupid. I play fair, but they still get angry since they can't win at mini games and I do creative item usage to get them.

Top Bottom