• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario movie's Luigi knows nothing about the Mario movie script

charliedayluigi.jpg

In a recent episode on Jimmy Kimmel Live, an interview with Charlie Day, the voice for Luigi, claimed that he knows nothing about the script. According to the interview, he said that he is not in the know about the script, despite being casted as Luigi. He also mentioned that he is not recording his lines at the same time as his co-star, Chris Pratt (casted as Mario).

This is the most new information we have seen since the Mario Movie cast reveal four months back, even if it does not give much to work with. The whole interview can be watched down below (starts at 1:55):

The Mario Movie comes to theaters on December 21st, 2022. It will feature Chris Pratt as Mario, Charlie Day as Luigi, Anya-Taylor Joy as Peach, and Jack Black as Bowser.

Author's Note: Wow, not even same room recording? I'm a little shocked. I'd think that they would have at least had a table read. What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

This does not bode well. You would think that at least the Mario Brothers would record their lines together so they can have good chemistry, but no, I guess not.
It's bad enough that they're hiring unfitting celebrities to voice the characters, though DeVito as Mario or Wario would be cool. Charles Martinet has voiced the Bros in full sentences (see his Instagram videos), so it wouldn't be that jarring.

Last edited:
I pretty much assumed that the film is under way with its production at this time, but it would be really awkward if they don't know anything about the script unless they are being tight lipped.

Anyways, I do think that the Mario movie is likely to face some rather stiff competition (although the Super Mario franchise does have a strong fan base) in December 2022 since Aquaman 2 and Avatar 2 are also released in the same month.

IIRC Skye Bennett (Pyra/Mythra's voice actress in Xenoblade 2) said that her lines were given to her with no context. This resulted in a lot of awkward sounding lines in the game like the "shut up!" line when Mythra slaps Rex during the Zeke fight in Chapter 4. Skye herself even cringed at that line while she played through the game.

I was already worried about this movie beforehand and this recent news doesn't seem to help matters much.

I'm a bit late on this news but I don't see how this is concerning. This is how most movies record the dialogues. Especially since Covid, it's very common for actors to be separate.

I could be wrong about this when the movie comes out, but I predict that Charles Martinet will be voicing Wario and/or Waluigi. I only think this because of the way Miyamoto emphasised his appearances in "special cameos", which makes me think that he won't be voicing a random enemy.

Top Bottom