• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Moveset Discussion. Current: None!

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I really should use F-tilt more...

Good move to use after a fireball approach. It's quick and can even be used as an OOS option. It has a nice amount of (disjointed) range too. You can also angle it for better use as well. Nice plus.

The only problem with it is the ending lag kinda kills the usefulness as a spacing move. B-air pretty much beats it in every category except for the OOS option.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Whenever I'm camping with fireballs, and my opponents gets too close, I use a ftilt, gets them away from me, and keeps my dsmash/fsmash fresh ^^

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Ftilt

Pros:

+Comes out fast

+Has IASA frames

+Good priority

+"Wave slide" is a nice option out of Ftilt

Cons:

-Weak knockback

-Not great range

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
btw, about B-air: I'd like to say that B-air has a lingering hitbox, which is why it's such a good spacer.

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
i love ftilt! i remember i tried to get the timeing down so i could shield and slide backwards, assuming it'd space for a perfect fsmsash...but thats just do hard to do in the heat of the moment =c

anywho, ftilt has nice spacing, and it keeps people on their toes if constantly rushing u. at low percents i wouldnt really reccomend it, but if there high %, its a great way to get them off the stage.

3 stars out of 5

Matt07

Smash Master
Forward Tilt

Pros:
+Has IASA frames.
+Good priority.
+"Wave slide" is a nice option out of Ftilt.
+F-tilt can semi lock.
+A good move to use for spacing.
+Can follow a lot of aerials into f-tilt
+Can angle it for better reach.
+Can be used for an out of shield option.
+Replaces uses for smashes sometimes, so it keeps them 'fresh'.
+Good shield poker.

Cons:
-Weak knockback.
-Not great range.

If I missed anything let me know (other then the Bolded underline thingy I type, after every summary except this one :D.)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Changed to forward air. After this will be neutral air.

Fair over the stage to jab lock is pretty good, assuming you can hit your opponent.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Fair

Pros:

+Decent meteor

+Decent for setting up a jab lock

+Decent hitbox size; it's actually pretty big, just not huge

Cons:

-Slow and laggy

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
F-air is situational, but powerful. It does good damage, which is nice. It's also a meteor, which is nice.

If you land the meteor on stage, it's actually a good "combo" setup because of the hitstun on it. Fullhop F-air finishes up in the air soon enough for you to U-air or N-air before hitting the ground. Fullhop F-air also autocancels on BF platforms.

Then of course, if you land this on an enemy offstage, they probably are dead.

It comes out kinda slow, and doesn't have particularly good range, so you need mindgames to land it.

Matt07

Smash Master
I remember doing a short hop, f-air spike, then they bounce back up, and I do another f-air spike for a K.O. Although the chances are super slim, it's friggen sweet to pull off.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Alright. We've pretty much covered this one. If Matt would kindly do his thing and make a pro/con list we can move on.

By the way, Matt is awesome for helping out like this.

Kidlat

Smash Apprentice
I have a love-hate relationship with this move. It's good because of Uair Blinds to Spikes but I hate it because I can't have any real pressure in front of me. I always have to have my back turned to fight with bair.

Matt07

Smash Master
By the way, Matt is awesome for helping out like this.
Heh, thanks Skyler. Only take's about 5 minutes of my time, just have to sort through the pro's and cons. Anyone else noticed the 'lack' of discussion these past few moves? :(.

F-air

Pros:
+You can spike your opponent, setting them up for a Jab Lock, or other "combo's" if they don't tech the spike.
+Decent meteor.
+Decent hitbox size; it's actually pretty big, just not huge. okay hitbox.
+Can use f-air under a platform to send opponents outwards, giving you a chance to edgeguard.
+F-air autoncancels on Platforms.
+Spiked F-air hit stun can lead too combo's.
+Full hoped F-air finished up in the air letting you use a u-air, or n-air before hitting the ground.
+You can u-air "blind" to f-air spike combo. Works well on large characters. (Donkey Kong anyone?)

Cons
-Slow and laggy.
-It's a weak meteor.
-Hard to contest against other attacks.

If I missed anything let me know.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Not *that* weak if sweetspotted... I dunno... I consider weak meteors to be things like Kirby's Dair.

Then of course, if you land this on an enemy offstage, they probably are dead.
Unless they're MFin' ROB!

Also, I generally use this when the enemy is hanging on the ledge. Fireball, the follow it with a SH Fair to limit their options. It almost always causes a roll (or they just drop down which just kind of restarts the scenario). Since cape and Dair can also be useful in this same situation, it keeps them guessing, and it's not all that unlikely to get a spike out of this if they misread you and try to jump. Seems to work well for me anyway.

Matt07

Smash Master
N-air;

Pros
+It has good priority
+Good out of shield move
+Good for a horizontal K.O move
+Long Lasting Hitbox

Cons
-Okay for K.O'ing.
-Looses strength and knockback in later frames.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
nair doesn't have good range =/ I'd say its weakness is it looses it's strength and and knockback in later frames. A Pro will be its long lasting hitbox.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, Mario's N-air was better in Melee. It did a lot more damage and had better knockback.

But anyhow, it's still a very good attack in Brawl.

+ Comes out super fast
+ Good out of shield
+ Good priority
+ Good lingering hitbox
+ Hits people off pretty horizontally. Very good attack for edgeguards and Jab lock setups.
+ SH D-air -> N-air for shield pressure
- Low range
- Isn't a kill move forever

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
nair doesn't have good range =/ I'd say its weakness is it looses it's strength and and knockback in later frames. A Pro will be its long lasting hitbox.
If u SHFF the Nair and it hits on the later frames, I think it combos into jab. It also sets up jab locks.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Nair is so perfect to get out of juggles, CGs, instant first few frames has the " strong " hitbox, and later frames has the " weak " hitbox, basically long lasting hitbox. perfect for stringing stuff and sometimes killing.
but his phails compares to luigi :O!!!

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Nair is so perfect to get out of juggles, CGs, instant first few frames has the " strong " hitbox, and later frames has the " weak " hitbox, basically long lasting hitbox. perfect for stringing stuff and sometimes killing.
but his phails compares to luigi :O!!!
Yea I wish Mario had Luigi's Nair p_q

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
At least be glad Mario has slightly better range on his Nair than Luigi :/ * lulz wtfux, mario has almost generally better range than mario, and luigi is just taller than him lmao * Mario's front foot sticks out abit more then luigi's. From my eyes that's is :/

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Mario's body tends to get bigger when he throws out attacks it seems. That's what I've seem to notice. Luigi's body doesn't get bigger.

That's my logical explanation. >_>

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Nair

Pros:

+Comes out fast

+Decent sex kick

+Lagless

+Good priority

Cons:

-Weak knockback; not really all that weak but still hard to use as kill move

-Not great reach

Geou

Smash Apprentice
I find N-Air really useful when opponents try to run at me for a grab/pivot grab, or if they try to roll behind me. It gets them every time, and if you miss, you can still double jump and retreat/try another aerial.

Top Bottom