• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Moveset Discussion. Current: None!

Matt07

Smash Master
D-tilt has insanse priority, lol. Too bad you couldn't chain with it, but it has the perfect knockback where your opponent can escape it :(.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
If it had insane hitstun it would be great. Hell, making the opponent trip would be nice too for tech-chasing.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Pros:

+ 1337 mindgames on Meta-Knight

Cons:

- It sucks
- Very, very badly
- Pretty much gives your opponent a free fmash
- Mario would seriously be better without a Dtilt

Edit: Changed discussion to Utilt

Matt07

Smash Master
Pros:
+It can chain a lot of characters from 30%-50%, except Luigi with his n-air he can get out at like 20%.
+It's actually pretty decent out of shield move.
+Umm...kinda disjointed hitbox.
+Pretty swift move.

Cons
-Lacks damage
-Not very good for K.O's.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
+Leads to air combos
+Gives a sweet 20-30% on some characters (Does abit more on heaviers like D3)
+ Nice vertical range
- Gayastic horizontal range
+ like omg it hits through battlefields platform =D
- People with a good Nair (Yesh luigi fawk your godly nair), can get out of it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
D-tilt
Pros
+More range than Jab
+Low hitbox
+Can set up 'combos' at high percents

Cons
-Too weak
-Too laggy for its power

U-tilt is good for combos and punishing people out of shield. It has just SLIGHTLY more range than a standing grab IIRC. It can kill at really high percents too, and they won't DI it easily.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Utilt is probally my favorite tilt, it's good for juggling and can kill around 150+.

Pros:

+Good vertical range

+Good juggling tilt

+Decent finisher at high percents

Cons:

-Terrible horizontal range

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
I second that judge judy, marios utilt seriously is one of my favorite tilts. Great to link up with a jab, standing grab, or uair. My only personal problem with it is slightly 'semi' punishable, the animation of the utilt is slightly slow, so if your opponents sidesteps, perfect shields it, etc., expect to get hit.

Other than that, great at low percent rack ups, a nice combo starter, great for certain platform pokes (hippiedude92), decent oos killer at higher percentages, decent vertical range, mediocre speed yet irritating to DI out of, great on heavy characters.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Utilt has quite a few uses but only for when you're in the thick of things. Utilt between an Uair chain to keep it going since it sort of "resets" the opponent's positioning during the combo.

Beautiful trap setups if you use EL's terminology. From Utilt at lower %, the opponent only has a few possible moves which are usually easy to read since most can't jump out of chains. If they airdodge, chase and grab. If they try to Nair out, stand still and do somethin OOS. If you think they're going to try to make their escape out of the chain soon, start your Uair combo, run forward and Bair them, or simply let them drop and grab them.

The only real problems I have with this move (same with melee) are its uselessness at KO%s and the low horizontal range. I've never found it to be slow, I actually use it from jab cancel from time to time.

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
i love me some utilts. i need to use it more then i actually do tho. on heavy *** characters u could spam it till high percents, then go for the utilt ****. but only real boring mario's do that stuff =p
and besides,half the time it puts most characters in a position where they hate to be: above mario

i guess all there is to hate about the utilt is that u can never really kill with it.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Utilt is only helpful when they are very close to you. But it is useful to be used in between Uair juggles. And even after a Bair.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
i love me some utilts. i need to use it more then i actually do tho. on heavy *** characters u could spam it till high percents, then go for the utilt ****. but only real boring mario's do that stuff =p
=( Awww....

Matt07

Smash Master
I used information out of this thread too come up with the summary, credit goes to the original posters.

Bump, and here is the summary of u-tilt.

Pros:
+It can chain a lot of characters from 30%-50.
+It's actually pretty decent out of shield move.
+Pretty swift move.
+Leads to air combos.
+Hits through some stages platforms. (ie; Battlefield.)
+Decent finisher at high percents.

Cons
-Lacks damage.
-Not very good for K.O's.
Bad horizantol, and vertical range.
-Characters with a good n-air can break out of it after 2 hits, or 1. Depends on there damage.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Changed to Uair.

Just for the record, if your opponent has mediocre DI, you can usually chain Dthrow -> uair -> uair -> Dthrow -> uair -> uair -> SJP and get off a good 50%.

Matt07

Smash Master
Can, do two u-airs in a short-hop. It's pretty sweet :). It's not laggy, and virtually no landing lag. Can follow well into other moves.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
U-air is just sexy.

Just an hour ago I was able to put my Marth friend to 80% just by mixing up my jab cancels to grabs to U-airs to b-airs. I'm still working on that spike to finish it though. =/

iMichael

Smash Lord
His Uair is the s***. It's a combo starter and you can either do it twice or have another move follow behind it.

Matt07

Smash Master
I used information out of this thread too come up with the summary, credit goes to the original posters.

Pros:
+ Many moves can lead into u-air allowing for combo's such as (Chain Dthrow -> uair -> uair -> Dthrow -> uair -> uair -> SJP.)
+Great juggling aerial.
+Quick and virtually lagless.
+Can do two u-airs in one shorthop.
+Good for dealing damage.
+Good for edguarding for offstage K.O's.
+Good knockback if undiminished.

Cons:
-Low range. (Very debatable, I think it has pretty good range.)
-Easily shieldgrabbed.
-Doesn't reach below Mario.

If I missed anything let me know.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Eh, keep low range up there if we can't think of anything else. Lol.

It -is- easily shieldgrabbed though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
U-air is an all round good aerial, except it doesn't reach below you at all...

Super fast, and super low lag, so try experimenting with it to see what two aerials you can do in 1 SH. Great for damage dealing, juggling, and edgeguarding. At low percents, it can combo into itself. At high percents, if undiminished, it has pretty good knockback, and is great for offstage KOs.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
What do you mean it doesn't deteriorate? Are you on training mode? Training mode has no move deterioration.

Matt07

Smash Master
Famous posted that, but I will go test it right now and see.

Yes, the damage decreases after you use it so many times.

Updated.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Changed to Ftilt.

I don't know about you guys, but I think that the Ftilt is definately a pretty useful move. It's pretty good for spacing and if an opponent lands to far away after an SH double uair for you to grab, this is a good replacement. You can also do a semi-lock with this. Unless your opponent expects it, you can get two or three of these at low percents on your opponent.

Definitely a useful move.

EDIT: Yeah, if you guys find that Uair does/does not deteriorate post it here so I can change what we currently have.

Matt07

Smash Master
Basically SkylerOcon got it. This move works really well from landing into a N-air into f-tilt, practically all of of his aerials can lead into any move though. I mainly use f-tilt for getting my opponents out of my face, it has okay knockback, and I think it does about 12% damage which is pretty good. It's pretty fast, too.

Top Bottom