• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Moveset Discussion. Current: None!

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Bo X7, i only use Usmash to kill floaty any other time is combo. After 90% i don't use the move and if they get to (example Mario) 126% then start using it again with other moves to refresh it.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
<3 Usmash. The ace in the hole. A perfect example of trading off power for speed. It's weak, but very fast and fairly easy to set up on practically in character.

The time to effectively use this, however, varies. If you're fighting someone like Snake or CF who take awhile to die off the top, but are easy to gimp, you may not want to save it for kills; especially since Fsmash kills about 50% lower. Again, Usmash is ridiculously fast and easy to land OOS or mindgamed into. It's every bit as good as Dsmash for comboing n such.

If you're fighting someone like MK or G&W where it'll kill them at pretty low % off the top and Fsmash is harder to land/gimps are difficult, Usmash is your best bet. Here, it's best kept fresh at all costs for those much-needed kills.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
<3 Usmash. The ace in the hole. A perfect example of trading off power for speed. It's weak, but very fast and fairly easy to set up on practically in character.

The time to effectively use this, however, varies. If you're fighting someone like Snake or CF who take awhile to die off the top, but are easy to gimp, you may not want to save it for kills; especially since Fsmash kills about 50% lower. Again, Usmash is ridiculously fast and easy to land OOS or mindgamed into. It's every bit as good as Dsmash for comboing n such.

If you're fighting someone like MK or G&W where it'll kill them at pretty low % off the top and Fsmash is harder to land/gimps are difficult, Usmash is your best bet. Here, it's best kept fresh at all costs for those much-needed kills.

Pretty much sums it up.
I use the usmash in the same general way. If I know it would be difficult to knock out a character, then I use its deceptive hitbox and quick frames to combo to crap out of people. Especially for those characters who have high priority arial attacks or characters who are just heavy like falco or snake...

If the character is easy to KO, its best to not spam the attack until higher percentages for a RELIABLE KO move. Combo like crazy like we mario mainers do and go for the easy kill with the usmash....

Surprisingly, the usmash can contest against a pleatora of high priority moves, so if you feel pressured, its nice to play defensively with the usmash.....

Matt07

Smash Master
Sometimes when the opponent the opponents can roll either left or right, when they're lying on the floor? I usually like to charge my up smash and sometimes they fall for it.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Upsmash is a rapist. You can land like 2-3 on heavier characters from 0%. You can use it as a combo-er but it won't kill till later, but if you don't use it the whole or near end match, it'll kill.

Also everyone, REVERSE DAC > Regular Dac. Why? Upsmash has a bigger hitbox knockback, overall better when it's reversed. Meaning back of his head.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
What I love most about the Usmash is its range. It can hit from the very tip of Mario's hat all the way to his face on the way down. It's good to whip out when you're close and you're facing the wrong direction. Facing forward, it isn't that great; I'd use down smash.

Matt07

Smash Master
I used information out of this thread too come up with the summary, credit goes to the original posters.

Up Smash

Pros:
+Decent K.O power.
+Decent speed.
+Decent Out of shield option.
+Fairly large hitbox, and can be decieving when turned around.
+DAC (Dash Attack Cancelled) U-Smash that allows you to charge it up.
+Can even hit opponents on ledges.
+It can combo at low percents.

Cons:
-Needs to stay unstaled to retain decent KO power.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
WHY AM I SO LAZY WITH THIS THREAD?

Changed to Dsmash.

Dsmash is a pretty straightforward attack. It's easy to see that it should be used to punish bad roll dodging and for knocking opponents away (thought Ftilt works better than Dsmash at higher percents). It CAN kill but at like 150% (and that's with bad DI) so don't expect this to be your kill move.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Dsmash

Pros:

+Comes out quick

+Covers both sides well

+Good punishing move

Cons:

-Not great reach

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Using it for safetly punishing when up close is about the best use for it. It's quick, nice %, and nice knockback.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Really? I thought it was reasonable amount of reach? It's longer than luigi's dsmash, and im so sure of zelda's dsmash.

But anyways alot of mario's will be like abusing these until it get's stale.

+ Good/moderate knockback,
Yah but it still doesn't have great reach, it has about the same amount as Ftilt.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
+Comes out frame 5 (same as MK's D-smash)
+Hits on both sides
+Gets people off the stage effectively due to fairly low trajectory
+Good spotdodge tool

-Isn't a kill move for too long.
-Not that useful on people who are in the air a lot....

Matt07

Smash Master
I used information out of this thread too come up with the summary, credit goes to the original posters.

Downsmash

Pros:
+Comes out frame 5 (same as MK's D-smash!)
+Covers both sides well.
+Good punishing move.
+Gets people off the stage effectively due to fairly low trajectory.
+Good spotdodge tool.

Cons:
-Isn't a kill move for too long.
-Not that useful on people who are in the air a lot.
-Not great reach.

If I missed anything let me know.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Changed to Fsmash. It's the last one!

Fsmash has already been discussed in great detail many times, but it doesn't hurt to go over the facts again. Reliable killer at 100% up angled. Dair -> Fsmash is good for mid percentages as it's inescapable, assuming the final hit of dair was because of Mario touching the ground.

This attack gets great help from stutter stepping. This attack gets great help from stutter step mindgames. This attack is underrated by non-Mario's in general.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Fsmash

Pros:

+Massive range (Not exaggerating, it seriously has huge range when you stutter step it from a dash dance)

+Great killing power ("Perfect" Fsmash can kill very early and is one of, if not Mario's best, Mario's best kill moves)

+Sweetspot is disjointed

+Good shift via atk when not stutter stepped

Cons:

-Slow

-If not sweetspotted some of its knockback is reduced

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
^Truth.

F-Smash is a kill move, through and through. Always keep this baby fresh, as this move is a great alternate way of getting early kills.

Would be nice if we can get some combo into it however. Best I know is U-airx2 > F-Smash, but that U-air has to be pretty staled out.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Fsmash's main use is to kill. Don't ever use this move for anything else.
Seriously dont do it! using ur smash moves at an in opportune moment will make the enemy harder to kill when hes 90% or w/e plus.

Savor the smash for last

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Would be nice if we can get some combo into it however. Best I know is U-airx2 > F-Smash, but that U-air has to be pretty staled out.
x2 fireball combos into Fsmash, but x2 fireball is pretty hard to setup up in the first place...

Matt07

Smash Master
A good combo is Short Hop, b-air >b-air>F smash, but this works at low %'s but does good damage. Usually I use Fireball then stutter stepped f-smash to K.O sometimes, I just love the little hit stun Fireball gives, and it allows F smash to hit.
Also down tilt more so then often leads into a f-smash (Sometimes when I accidently use a down tilt, I just happen to follow with a f smash.) Seriously guys d-tilt>Fsmash. The problem is landing the d-tilt.

Matt07

Smash Master
Double post, and we didn't get much discussion on this move.

SkylerOcon are we going to do Throws? That's all that's really left (I think we did Dash Attack Already.)

Pros:
+Massive range.
+Great killing power.
+Sweetspot is disjointed.
+Good shift via attack when not stutter stepped.

Cons:
-Slow
-If not sweetspotted some of its knockback is reduced

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
F-smash: The move that can completely change the tides. I love mindgaming people into this move. Just ask Matador and BO X7. :laugh:

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
Seriously dont do it! using ur smash moves at an in opportune moment will make the enemy harder to kill when hes 90% or w/e plus.
Or, between fireballs, pummels and combos, you could just hit an enemy 9 times with other things to bring it back to power. Dealing damage to avoid damage seems more important than to potentially put yourself in a bad place due to not seizing the priority and range of a smash opportunity. Personal experience and results my vary.

Matt07

Smash Master
How do you Stutter step fsmash? And what is it agian?
Stutter step fsmash is when say your this way;
<-----
You use fsmash in the opposite direction, you will gain WAY more range then just using fsmash in the same direction because Mario'steps' forward when he uses his fsmash.

I just used that as an example, stutter stepping fsmashes work in both directions, just use fsmash in the opposite direction your facing.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Alright. I changed it to none, because I'm pretty sure we're done with this. I know we haven't done the situational attacks/throws, but this doesn't really need to be discussed, because all Mario mains already know how to use that stuff.

From now on, just have general discussions about certain moves (I think we should go back to Dtilt, and actually try to figure out a use for it.).

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
None is just too broken; it'll drive your opponents mad with mindgamez.

Pros:

+Nothing

Cons:

-Nothing

Matt07

Smash Master
None is good for mind games. It keeps your opponent guessing what your going to do next.

Perfect opportunity for dtilt.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
We seriously need to discuss Dtilt again.

I've found that it has a disjointed horizontal hitbox.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
Alright, but I thought I mentioned something like that before. Anyway, Dtilt cancels out Olimar's Dsmash.
Olimars dsmash clanks with everything lol >.>
Pikman clank with everything, not just specifically dtilt...

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Olimars dsmash clanks with everything lol >.>
Pikman clank with everything, not just specifically dtilt...
Yah, but it works nicely with Dtilt since clanking gets rid of most of Dtilt's terrible ending lag and its hitbox hugs the ground; Dtilt clanks with Olimar's Dsmash more reliably than Dsmash or Ftilt. Dtilt still is terrible but it's a nice thing to know.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hey, just wondering, has anyone bothered actually using the FLUDD as a workaround for RCO lag? I mean, I mentioned it a while ago in the old RCO lag discussion topic, but I have never actually seen this put to use in any videos. I don't even do it myself because I'm too lazy to see how practical it is. =P

But seriously, I suggest someone check it out because all I do know is that using the FLUDD for getting back to the stage allows you to shield, dodge, or roll without the RCO lag killing you as you ledgehop.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I've done it once or twice out of instinct. It works to stop incoming attacks but other than that, not much else.

Top Bottom