• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Peach Beach isn't that bad of a stage to bring back. I prefer the Koopa beach one from 64, but that's just me. Peach Beach is a solid easy course.

I was annoyed that they brought back 2 Mario Circuits. I mean, seriously. The DD one is so similar to the new one already (in appearance). There are more interesting courses they could have brought back. Same with bringing back both DK Mountains from 64 and DD.

Then again, once I heard there were retro stages, my first thought was that I wanted the last cup to be the four Rainbow Roads, from SNES, 64, GC, and the new one. But alas, not even one extra Rainbow Road made it.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think they could have brought back a lot more stages [mainly from 64 and DD, GBA and SNES stages can eat **** and die], it wouldn't have helped make the game any better but it would have made the game last longer.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
They should bring back Kalimari Desert

It had TWO trains as obstacles. Or at least it felt like two trains were operating.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Kalimari Desert don't fit Mario Kart Wii, Roayle Raceway fit's it better. Maybe Kalimari Desert could be in the next Mario Kart.... maybe.

Ange

Smash Lord
One track that they should have bought back is Royal Raceway, man I just /love/ that stage. It was epic fun to climb on the mountain after that huge jump haha.

Im SO glad they bought DKs Jungle Parkway back tho, was one of my favorite tracks on MK64.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They should bring back Kalimari Desert

It had TWO trains as obstacles. Or at least it felt like two trains were operating.
You were right the first time. There were two trains on that course.

Kalimari Desert don't fit Mario Kart Wii, Roayle Raceway fit's it better. Maybe Kalimari Desert could be in the next Mario Kart.... maybe.
I kind of thought that N64 Rainbow Road should've been brought back. Despite being gigantic (it's the largest Mario Kart track made so far) and lacking obstacles, it's one of the few Rainbow Roads that are simple for pretty much any player.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I've not got this game yet, but I was wondering, how is it compared to Double Dash!!?
I know it doesn't have the dual karts, and has more racers, but is the gameplay as fun? I might get it after Christmas, or for my Birthday if I get No More Heroes first.
Finally, what is the Wii wheel control like, is it a good control scheme, or should I stick with the Gamecube controller?

Ange

Smash Lord
I kind of thought that N64 Rainbow Road should've been brought back. Despite being gigantic (it's the largest Mario Kart track made so far) and lacking obstacles, it's one of the few Rainbow Roads that are simple for pretty much any player.
Dont forget the biggest cheat in the game, by jumping from the very first few 10 meters and either left/right (depending if its Extra or not) to the track below, AMAZING. ;D

I've not got this game yet, but I was wondering, how is it compared to Double Dash!!?
I know it doesn't have the dual karts, and has more racers, but is the gameplay as fun? I might get it after Christmas, or for my Birthday if I get No More Heroes first.
Finally, what is the Wii wheel control like, is it a good control scheme, or should I stick with the Gamecube controller?
Hmm as Im pretty much a Mario Kart fan I would say go for it. The gameplay is quite fun and some of the new stages are pretty amazing. However I gotta warn you about the CPUs, they make it up pretty fast to first place or if you get hit by something, but that doesnt really affect the GAMEPLAY. The fact that you can choose bikes now changes my whole look on Mario Kart, its really cool. (: I would recommend it to anyone who loves Mario Kart, also you can play online lol.

Ive never tried the Wii Wheel, but my sister said it was quite a pain lol, and I would recommend using the Classic Controller, cause you cant pick your items with the X/Y buttons on the Gamecube controller anymore. ;__; /headdesk

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Hmm as Im pretty much a Mario Kart fan I would say go for it. The gameplay is quite fun and some of the new stages are pretty amazing. However I gotta warn you about the CPUs, they make it up pretty fast to first place or if you get hit by something, but that doesnt really affect the GAMEPLAY. The fact that you can choose bikes now changes my whole look on Mario Kart, its really cool. (: I would recommend it to anyone who loves Mario Kart, also you can play online lol.

Ive never tried the Wii Wheel, but my sister said it was quite a pain lol, and I would recommend using the Classic Controller, cause you cant pick your items with the X/Y buttons on the Gamecube controller anymore. ;__; /headdesk
Thanks for the info :)

I'll probably get the wheel, just to try it, but if I don't like it I'll use another control method.
I'm used to playing racing games were the CPU's can catch up to you easily, and ambush you with items
Jak X

Also, what's the online like for finding matches?

Ange

Smash Lord
Also, what's the online like for finding matches?
To be honest, I dont really remember. But I think it was quite simple, all you did was really wait for a race to pop up, or something. I cant even remember how you start your own. XD I hope someone else has a better answer then this, I hardly play online as you probably noticed. Tho if ye have alot of online people to race be exchanging FCs, it could be alot of fun.

Baby Park is awesome.
Specially when you outrun the slow computers.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
To be honest, I dont really remember. But I think it was quite simple, all you did was really wait for a race to pop up, or something. I cant even remember how you start your own. XD I hope someone else has a better answer then this, I hardly play online as you probably noticed. Tho if ye have alot of online people to race be exchanging FCs, it could be alot of fun.
I haven't played with friends since FCs are bull**** and I don't play often enough to add a ton of people but random is iffy. Sometimes you get put in some laggy races and people teleport all over the place other times you get a decent connection. Sometimes you can't seem to find a group with as many people as you would like so you might have to leave the group and hope they set you up with more people.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I hate this game sooooooo much. It turned my life into a living hell until I unlocked everything.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I hate this game sooooooo much. It turned my life into a living hell until I unlocked everything.
You mean the overuses of Bikes or the fact too many people pick Funkey Kong because he's the fastest chracter in the game?

Ange

Smash Lord
I haven't played with friends since FCs are bull**** and I don't play often enough to add a ton of people but random is iffy. Sometimes you get put in some laggy races and people teleport all over the place other times you get a decent connection. Sometimes you can't seem to find a group with as many people as you would like so you might have to leave the group and hope they set you up with more people.
Then my question is, can you create your own "room" somehow then?

Well anyone who likes online gaming would prolly enjoy it/maybe, I, who never plays online with random people, wont bother. I would just do it with friends if thats so.

And I need to say, Funky Kong is boring. Hes just a carbon copy of DK. |: tho the same can be said for ALOT of characters, but something about him annoys me. Maybe its his voice...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Dont forget the biggest cheat in the game, by jumping from the very first few 10 meters and either left/right (depending if its Extra or not) to the track below, AMAZING. ;D
I'm pretty sure the next time Nintendo remakes N64 Rainbow Road, they'll find a way to keep players from doing this "illogical" shortcut.

Ange

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure the next time Nintendo remakes N64 Rainbow Road, they'll find a way to keep players from doing this "illogical" shortcut.
Meh, you're right. Nintendo is that boring. :/ Apparently, MK64 had VERY long/huge track areas, thats why you literally fell down all the loooong way to the bottom of Yoshis Valley, or fell into bottomless blackness in about 4 years on Rainbow Road.

DDM

Smash Journeyman
Bikes are win, and Funky Kong sucks.

DS Yoshi Falls = waste of 1/32 of a track roster. Basically Luigi Circuit w/ waterfalls.

But yeah. I find myself barking random obscenities at the TV quite often.

N64 Bowser's Castle = thing of beauty.

[/random thoughts]

Zielmann

Smash Cadet
Anybody else notice random red shells coming from nowhere in this game?

I'll be half a lap ahead of anybody, and a red shell will come out of what seems to be the wall, and there's no warning. All I know, is that I'll be drifting pretty tight against a wall, and all of a sudden the item I'm dragging behind me is gone, and there will have been the sound of a crushing shell. But there is absolutely no warning, no sounds, nothing on the screen showing that a shell is approaching.

So, yeah, this happen to anybody else, or am I just being singled out by the game?

Alzi

Smash Master
I use to time trial so much on mario kart wii while waiting for brawl to come out in Australia. All i ever achieved was 9999 vs rating, 3 star ranking and i had a World Record time for mushroom gorge with a time of 1.44.somthing until that stupid glitch came out where you jump with the mountain to get a time of 44 seconds or so thats when i got angry and stopped playing lol.

Alzi

Smash Master
I used funky kong on the Torpedo bike for my WR but online i use mario on the mach bike or diddy kong on the mach bike.

Zielmann

Smash Cadet
I usually use Yoshi on the Mach Bike. I like how it corners, and Yoshi is just awesome in general.

But yeah, it does kinda go all out for the leader... You know something's up when you can be half a lap ahead by the second lap, and then in the last 1.5 laps, you get hit by 5 blue shells. Thus, you come in third at best.

It does seem to be a little more reasonable with online play, though, since there's no computer players getting perfectly timed items and too many blue shells.

Alzi

Smash Master
Wario's Colosseum was awsome mario kart double dash was awsome in general.

17th mario kart event is up:

Kart only, Any control method and it's on toad's factory driving the course backwards like that mushroom gorge one ages ago.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I usually use Yoshi on the Mach Bike. I like how it corners, and Yoshi is just awesome in general.

But yeah, it does kinda go all out for the leader... You know something's up when you can be half a lap ahead by the second lap, and then in the last 1.5 laps, you get hit by 5 blue shells. Thus, you come in third at best.

It does seem to be a little more reasonable with online play, though, since there's no computer players getting perfectly timed items and too many blue shells.
Yoshi's bonuses favor the off-road stat though, so the Zip Zip or Dolphin Dasher would take better advantage of the off-road bonus than the Mach Bike.

When it comes to choosing characters and karts, I tend to look for combinations that actually take advantage of the character's best stat bonuses. For example, Dry Bowser's high off-road and mini-turbo bonuses are favorable for the Flame Runner and Phantom, but they're completely useless with the Spear.

Anyway, it's always a pain that a lot of things will try to take out the player in 1st place. That's not good considering that the CPUs are handicapped so that they'll always catch up with you, even if you're using a high speed vehicle like the Flame Runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom