• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
I don't care either way if bikes are back or not. And I'm not sure if I like the gliding/underwater stuff. Actually I know I'll like it no matter what, but it makes me wonder what's going to differentiate the next game. Space ships? D:

Well Retro studio is working on the stages for this game. Hopefully they help balance the game a bit as well.
Retro <3
I'm expecting some great things from them.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I saw Maple Treeway and Luigi's Mansion! Gotta love the retro tracks!
:urg: Maple Treeway.....

When I saw Luigi's Mansion, I was all like "cool, a Luigi's Mansion track", before remembering that it was on Double Dash as a Battle arena.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
The hang glider looks fun :bee:
The course looks fairly difficult though with the boulders coming down hah.

M.K

Level 55
Does anyone else wish that the makers of Mario Kart would use tracks from Mario games? I mean, I'm all for tracks like Waluigi Pinball and Maple Treeway, but for once, I'd like to have some nostalgia. Luigi's Mansion-esque tracks, a track based on Rougeport from Paper Mario TTYD, or maybe Bob-Omb Battlefield from SM64. I think that would be awesome.

UberMario

Smash Master
http://ds.ign.com/articles/117/1174809p1.html

Apparently, the mini-turbos are going to be somewhere in between Mario Kart DS's and Mario Kart Wii's. They will automatically turn blue, but you'll swivel the control pad to upgrade them.

I'll update the OP tomorrow with the new news!

Does anyone else wish that the makers of Mario Kart would use tracks from Mario games? I mean, I'm all for tracks like Waluigi Pinball and Maple Treeway, but for once, I'd like to have some nostalgia. Luigi's Mansion-esque tracks, a track based on Rougeport from Paper Mario TTYD, or maybe Bob-Omb Battlefield from SM64. I think that would be awesome.
I'm pretty sure that many of the tracks are based off of Mario games:

-SNES Donut Plains 1-3 were based on SMW Donut Plains
-SNES Choco Island 1-2 were based on SMW Chocolate Island
-SNES Vanilla Lake 1-2 were based on the peak of SMW Dome in the winter time.

-64 Choco Mountain is based on SMW Chocolate Island
-64 Sherbert Land is based on SM64 Snowman's Land's ice paths, while the penguins are from SM64 Cold Cold Mountain
-64 Royal Raceway, of course, has the SM64 courtyard

-SC Has a Paper Mario cameo in Rainbow Road, as well as elements that are present on the path to Shooting Star Summit. (the falling stars)

-DD Peach Beach is a Delfino track
-DD Dry Dry Desert is a homage to Paper Mario
-DD Luigi's Mansion is completely inside the building with the same name
-DD Cookie Land is a reference to Yoshi's Cookie

-DS Luigi's Mansion occurs in the same building
-DS Desert Hills is based on SMB3's world 2, complete with the Angry Sun and fire snakes
-DS Delfino Square is in Delfino Plaza
-DS Tick Tock Clock is based on the SM64 stage of the same name
-DS Airship Fortress is a SMB3 fort being invaded by an SMB3 airship

-Wii Mushroom Gorge is based on the levels in NSMB that had bouncy mushrooms
-Wii Maple Treeway is based on SMG's Gold Leaf Galaxy
-Wii Grumble Volcano is based on World 8-8 in New Super Mario Bros.
-Wii Dry Dry Ruins is another reference to Paper Mario with music based off the Yoshi's Story theme
-Wii Delfino Pier is based off of SMS' Delfino Plaza

-3DS *unknown jungle course* is based on the ruins in Donkey Kong Country Returns

I'm sure there are some others, but those are the references that were more noticeable to me.

EDIT: Here's a nice video with clearly audible music:

http://digitalchumps.com/gamingnews/1-latest-news/7625-impressions-mario-kart-3ds.html

Thino

Smash Master
http://ds.ign.com/articles/117/1174809p1.html

Apparently, the mini-turbos are going to be somewhere in between Mario Kart DS's and Mario Kart Wii's. They will automatically turn blue, but you'll swivel the control pad to upgrade them.

http://digitalchumps.com/gamingnews/1-latest-news/7625-impressions-mario-kart-3ds.html
posted both vids in my previous posts , check out the 2nd track too , and apparently the miniturbo is semi MKW semi MKDS , the blue spark comes automatically and the red one you have to do the left right motion according to the uploader of these 2 vids on Gfaqs

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Why you be hatin' on Maple Treeway? It was one of the best courses in Mario Kart Wii (besides Koopa Cape and Grumble Volcano).
Because I sucked at it >_<.
No idea how I managed to do all the time trials on that game. Best tracks were Koopa Cape, Bowser Castle 3, and Coconut Mall for me.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I am sorry but Maple Treeway was just awfull.(sucks that it is in this game as Retro)

This game looks really good and I can not wait to get it, I just want a list of full retro tracks, that's what I like the most.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Maple Treeway was good, but for the most part, the wii stages sucked. I find myself sticking to Retro stages 95% of the time, and Lightning Cup has the best stages overall imo.

UberMario

Smash Master
Maple Treeway was good, but for the most part, the wii stages sucked. I find myself sticking to Retro stages 95% of the time, and Lightning Cup has the best stages overall imo.
THISx100

I mentioned this before, but a full race at Super Mario Kart's FIRST TRACK, Mario Circuit 1, involves more turning than a full race at Mario Kart Wii's Rainbow Road. That's SAD.

Though I liked Coconut Mall, Koopa Cape, Maple Treeway and Grumble Volcano (which are the four that I hope make it into MK3DS), most of the other tracks were mediocre at best, and were so ridiculously easy that the majority of them could be classified as Flower Cup or even Mushroom Cup in the other games. (Moonview Highway might look hard, but 50% of the course involves two actual turns, and while they are both blind turns, the vehicles are pre-programmed to avoid the speed pads, so if you stay in the left lane on the right side in both turns, you'll avoid all of the cars.)

Just compare 64's, DD's, DS's, and the Wii's versions of Bowser's Castle to see how much they dropped the ball when it came to difficulty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZtPUS52R6s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnvQeKoN5f8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-hpv_cpeXc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNdWpYRV9hI

And I have to laugh at all of the people that complain about snaking on youtube and gamefaqs. Snaking has been a part of the Mario Kart series since MK64 [SMK's tracks were too narrow to make it work], and it is easily doable in Mario Kart Wii. The only reason it isn't used more in MKWii is that it's inferior to the broken bike wheelie mechanic, though it is better than just driving forward.

/MKWiiRant

justaway12

Smash Master
Maple Treeway? Ugh, I'm so conflicted V.V I suckedd at that track, but Maple Treeway music was so good =O

And I loved those autumn colours. So pretty <3

I'm really excited for this games version of Bowsers castle, if there is one it always looks so classy <3 Except 64s, but it was probably classy for it's time.

The paraglider thing looks super interesting =O I hope it works well.

I need to re-find Mario Kart Wii and play it again =O

M.K

Level 55
If I were to pick 4 ideal tracks that I wish would debut as retro tracks in the new MK3DS, they would be:

-Baby Park
-Yoshi Valley
-DK's Snowboard Cross
-Kalimari Desert

UberMario

Smash Master
Yoshi Valley and Kalimari Desert would be great.

Baby Park already appeared in Mario Kart DS, so it's highly unlikely that it will be ported a second time. Besides, there are still eight great Double Dash tracks left that weren't in DS or Wii: Dry Dry Desert, Daisy Cruiser, Sherbert Land, Mushroom City, Wario Colosseum, Dino Dino Jungle, Bowser's Castle and Rainbow Road.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
http://nintendoeverything.com/73631/

Daisy, Wario, Rosalina confirmed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5bb-Fz5HPk

Lakitu finally playable.

Metal Mario confirmed! DS Waluigi Pinball confirmed!

Wingless blue shell! The FAIRER of the blue shells is back

Leaf

Number 7? It'd be cool if it were like the All Star item in Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing.

Trick System Returns

New First-Person, Motion-Controlled Mode

Courses change lap amount. Wuhu Island is just 1 Lap.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I also heard that Metal Mario would be playable as well with his own kart? Sounds interesting indeed for the most part.

:phone:

UberMario

Smash Master
There were also at least two new tracks shown: a city that involves rain and an Arabian-style mushroom village. I'll upload the OP soon!

Also, the spiny shell bit is one of the best updates so far! Not to mention, the retro course selection so far is the best since MK:SC, hands down.

Kalimari Desert and DK Pass confirmed.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
God I want to get the 3ds bad or else I'll make a project on to legitimately get into the game.

So, my predictions.
When MarioKart7 gets super popular, there should be a separate mario kart thread for it.
This thread may change once Mario Kart for the Wii U comes out. Maybe as another separate thread.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Saw this all on a forum yesterday at midnight. I love it, I'm glad my girls Daisy and Rosalina are back. Lakitu is a very interesting add-on character, I wonder who else they're adding.

And Metal Mario sounds like a Heavy version of Mario.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ Did anyone confirm if Mario Kart 7 have manual drifting, or is it just like Mario Kart Wii?

Thino

Smash Master
it has Manual drifting , from the blue sparks and hopping its pretty much confirmed , what needs to be confirmed is auto though

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
♥ I'm sure both Auto and Manual drifts will be on there, it would be crazy to take either one of them considering it's already been in the series.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I think it's about time we get some RPG characters and such in the series.

I can practically guarantee at least 20,000 copies of the game will be sold the minute it's announced that Fawful will be a playable character.

Then add in Tatanga, and the psyche of fans who often relive their lives as it was in 1990 will snap in half.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Tatanga is too good.
I would love to see her in another mario and luigi game.

Quiet, you. Never speak of this mistake again.

UberMario

Smash Master
Also, SMK Mario Circuit 4 and MK64 Luigi Raceway were shown. (Unless they heavily modified the course, the only "zigzag" wall on Mario Circuit 2 is near a right-hander before the jump)

(I might be wrong though, they did change the positions of some of the props and walls in MKDS and MKWii. Heck, since the Tanooki tail makes them spin around, they might actually be travelling in the opposite direction, with the image taken mid-spin.)

I wonder why they went with Luigi Raceway instead of Royal Raceway, though. RR felt like a perfect fit for the hanggliders and there is already a MK64 Mushroom Cup track . . . . .

UberMario

Smash Master
you know how it goes with Retro stage choices with Nintendo

glad we have Airship Fortress at least
Yeah, I've liked all of the choices so far, but Luigi Raceway really should have been saved for later. Now, the only Luigi retro racetracks that can be used in Mario Kart "8" are the version from the Wii (which is arguably the worst track in Mario Kart, ever), and the one from this game. Mario Circuit 2 and Mario Circuit 4 are two of my favorite SMK tracks, so I'm happy if it turns out to be either.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Not really excited for Luigi Raceway. I honestly would have preferred something like Royal Raceway or Koopa Troopa Beach. :/ That's not to say that they won't make it in, but idk if N64/GCN will have 4 courses.

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
Personally, I'm not too excited for N64 Luigi Raceway or SNES Mario Circuit 2, but what can ya do? Love the fact that Shy Guy's finally getting the spot he so deserves, though. But I'm just really hoping that they don't include in any of the GBA levels this time around, so that there's more room for some other great N64 tracks, like Yoshi Valley, Wario Stadium, Royal Raceway, etc.

UberMario

Smash Master
GBA Bowser Castle 1 confirmed.

Why couldn't it have been the one from the SNES? We've already gotten two of the GBA Bowser Castles as retros before, and they chose the worst of the remaining two.

But I'm hoping that they don't include in any of the GBA levels this time around, so that there's more room for some other N64 tracks, too, like some great ones such as Yoshi Valley, Wario Stadium, Royal Raceway, etc.
IMO. The GBA tracks were the best of the series. However, Mario Kart 64's track roster is the only one that I like every single track on.

I'm hoping that the remaining 7 retro tracks are SNES Bowser Castle 3, N64 Royal Raceway, GBA Ribbon Road, GCN Daisy Cruiser, GCN Sherbert Land, Wii Coconut Mall and Wii Koopa Cape, but odds are high that we're getting 4 Wii tracks and no Royal Raceway, because there are already 2 N64 retros chosen and one of them is a raceway.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Without Dry Bowser, Bowser is going to be my main again.

Those giant tires look awesome for him, but they'd look better with spikes

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
GBA Bowser Castle 1 confirmed.

Why couldn't it have been the one from the SNES? We've already gotten two of the GBA Bowser Castles as retros before, and they chose the worst of the remaining two.

IMO. The GBA tracks were the best of the series. However, Mario Kart 64's track roster is the only one that I like every single track on.

I'm hoping that the remaining 7 retro tracks are SNES Bowser Castle 3, N64 Royal Raceway, GBA Ribbon Road, GCN Daisy Cruiser, GCN Sherbert Land, Wii Coconut Mall and Wii Koopa Cape, but odds are high that we're getting 4 Wii tracks and no Royal Raceway, because there are already 2 N64 retros chosen and one of them is a raceway.
How sad would that be, though (that that would be it for the N64 tracks)? Man, they're really way overdoing it with the Mushroom Cup courses in this one... How many are there now? Five I think, right? Well, yeah, we desperately need more Flower Cup courses, and for the sake of Pete, at least "one" Special Cup course, Nintendo. Also, I don't think that GCN Sherbet Land has much of a chance now, considering we already have one new snow level (the Comet Observatory one) and a retro snow level (DS DK Pass). I really do hope, though, that they indeed add in Daisy Cruiser as one of the retros this time around too. It was one of my favorites, personally, along with Wario Colosseum, Mushroom City, and Dino Dino Jungle.

UberMario

Smash Master
How sad would that be, though (that that would be it for the N64 tracks)? Man, they're really way overdoing it with the Mushroom Cup courses in this one... How many are there now? Five I think, right?
To be fair, Mario Kart DS had six Mushroom cup courses. Choosing Luigi Raceway over Royal Raceway is outrageous though, especially since one of the primary gimmicks in this game is gliding. It should have been the very first track chosen, since it was practically where they got the idea from.

Well, yeah, we desperately need more Flower Cup courses, and for the sake of Pete, at least "one" Special Cup course, Nintendo. Also, I don't think that GCN Sherbet Land has much of a chance now, considering we already have one new snow level (the Comet Observatory one) and a retro snow level (DS DK Pass). I really do hope, though, that they indeed add in Daisy Cruiser as one of the retros this time around too. It was one of my favorites, personally, along with Wario Colosseum, Mushroom City, and Dino Dino Jungle.
The main reason that I think that Sherbert Land is such a high possibility is because there is a lot of potential for an underwater route where the crack in the ice is, and none of the remaining special cup courses would really make much sense with the approach that they are going with. Yoshi Valley and Dino Dino Jungle are the most likely SC candidates, though, assuming that the SNES track shown isn't Mario Circuit 4 or that we get one of the GBA Special Cup courses (which are slightly more difficult in comparison with the other games).

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
the main thing I'm disappointed about the N64 courses, is that I can almost guarantee there'll only be 2 N64 Courses and GCN Courses; and the fact that one of the N64 courses was Luigi Raceway just sickens me because there's a lot better N64 courses lol

and I hope the other GBA course will be something cool like Ribbon Road or Riverside/Lakeside Park. :p

Top Bottom