• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

§leepy God

Smash Master
I can't really tell from that video. >.<

Though I do know now that the Bob-ombs can move on their own after it's thrown, lol.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
The new maps for this game (specifically the ship one and the Bowser's Castle one) look ****ing sick. Such an upgrade since most of the Wii maps were a let down imo. From the footage of the new maps in the videos, they all mostly look amazing. That Rainbow Road looks like such a challenge.

I like how with some of the maps they made it so each time you start a new lap, the scenery and where you go is like, different rather than repeating the same path you just did.

I cannot wait to get a 3DS and this game.

UberMario

Smash Master
I can't really tell from that video. >.<
It kind of sounds like beatboxing near the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Eidre_8-AU

^Here is an example from Airship Fortress. Deeper drums and a tamborine come in when Luigi takes the lead. (This guy also has videos of the final retro and all of Special Cup, if you wanted to hear the music in higher quality than the other videos have.)

Airgemini

Chansey
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I just watched that. Why couldn't they make Metal Mario an alternate outfit for Mario.
From the videos, it looks like the Blue Shells don't really slow you down as much as they used to compared to their winged versions. It doesn't flip you in the air... just pushes you to the side. I think bombs are the same way, but I'm not sure.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Metal Mario > Shadow Mario imo. But...I suppose both Metal and Shadow could've been an alternate for Mario.

UberMario

Smash Master
Seems as though Shy Guy will come in alternate color schemes again, just like in Mario Kart DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc1vCdrXHOU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
I wonder why they didn't do the same thing for Yoshi and Toad. Yoshi had alternate colors in Mario Kart: Super Circuit.

I just watched that. Why couldn't they make Metal Mario an alternate outfit for Mario.
They wanted Mario to have a heavyweight counterpart, he has never had one in Mario Kart.

From the videos, it looks like the Blue Shells don't really slow you down as much as they used to compared to their winged versions. It doesn't flip you in the air... just pushes you to the side. I think bombs are the same way, but I'm not sure.
Yep, the bombs behave the same way, plus the explosion lasts less than half as long as it did in Mario Kart DS or Mario Kart Wii. I think that the nerf was necessary after the item chaining that could happen in the previous game. It's also good that the Lightning and explosions don't take your items away anymore, that was one feature that had been present from Double Dash that I absolutely hated.

"Want to take that shortcut that requires a mushroom? Too bad, I've got a lightning bolt that can remove your items. *trollface* "

For similar reasons, I hope that the POW Block is severely retooled if it reappears in Mario Kart 8. I'd rather be knocked into the air and lose a lot of time than lose my defense against a red shell.

Airgemini

Chansey
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Does anyone know what effect lightning has when you're gliding in the air? Does it just make you fall to the ground and lose a ginormous amount of time or do you just stay small and continue gliding?

And also, I liked that lightning and explosions made you loose your item. What's the point of lightning if people can keep your stars, bullets, and golden mushrooms...? It'll just make it harder for the person in last to catch up if everyone in front of you keeps their good items. Doesn't really make sense to me tbh. I wouldn't be upset if it were just for bombs, but it's like they're nerfing all the powerful items.

UberMario

Smash Master
Does anyone know what effect lightning has when you're gliding in the air? Does it just make you fall to the ground and lose a ginormous amount of time or do you just stay small and continue gliding?
I am probably wrong, but I think that a video showed that the lightning bolt only effects grounded players.

And also, I liked that lightning and explosions made you loose your item. What's the point of lightning if people can keep your stars, bullets, and golden mushrooms...?
The lightning bolt was nerfed since Mario Kart DS anyway, players from 5th-through-8th barely spent any time shrunken down to begin with.

It'll just make it harder for the person in last to catch up if everyone in front of you keeps their good items. Doesn't really make sense to me tbh. I wouldn't be upset if it were just for bombs, but it's like they're nerfing all the powerful items.
The item balance was about as far off as it could get in Mario Kart Wii and the developers know this. They also buffed the Spiny Shell back to it's original form. Now, it travels along the ground (at the speed of the winged shell no less, making it harder to dodge), is the size of a kart, and only flies into the air when it's within range of the leader. The version that was used from Double Dash to Wii did nothing for the player in last and only existed to unnecessarily torment the leader. Also, while they're nerfing the powerful items, they're actually buffing the weak ones. Bananas now do slightly more damage than green shells, and players that are in the middle of the pack can use the Racoon Leaf and Fire Flower to defend themselves and attack at the same time.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It does seem odd that getting caught in explosions no longer send players flying, but instead makes them bounce around like they were hit by a Bullet Bill.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I looked at the videos, and apparently, I was a bit disappointed by the performance of the player who was playing.

Of course, I'm pretty sure that any new gamer will probably react the same way.

Thino

Smash Master
We'll have to wait a few more days before seeing high level play.. or maybe a few hours depending on the recording setup people have

UberMario

Smash Master
Perhaps Lightning does make you lose your items after all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ID0IHeeaRFE#t=130s
He dropped the item that he was carrying behind him and somehow managed to miss the last item box set.

Also, curiously, most of the Gamestop MK7 videos are using the mirror mode. Daisy uses a combination of her DD and Wii clips, DK uses his voice clips from Mario Kart DS and Rosalina seems to be the only returning character to have new voice samples.

Airgemini

Chansey
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
So I guess there are character stats for this game like with Mario Kart Wii, except characters are grouped together and share the same stat boosts as the other characters they're grouped with.

Sigh.

Lightweight - Toad, Koopa, Lakitu, Shy Guy:
Speed: 3
Accel: 4
Weight: 2.3
Handling: 3
Offroad: 4

Middleweight - Mario, Luigi:
Speed: 3.4
Accel: 3
Weight: 3.2
Handling: 2.8
Offroad: 3.8

Peach, Yoshi, Daisy:
Speed: 3.3
Accel: 3.5
Weight: 2.8
Handling: 3
Offroad: 3.7

Heavyweight - Bowser, Wario, Metal Mario, Honey Queen:
Speed: 4
Accel: 2
Weight: 4.2
Handling: 2.5
Offroad: 3.4

Donkey Kong, Rosalina, Wiggler
Speed: 3.7
Accel: 2.5
Weight: 3.8
Handling: 2.4
Offroad: 3.7

In before everyone picks Bowser, Wario, MM, or Honey Queen lol.
But no, without standing mini turbos, their speed probably won't be much of a problem.

The lightweights actually look more better all around imo. I would've preferred no stats at all though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well the stat boosts do help to sort characters by their weight classes.

Light: Toad, Koopa Troopa, Lakitu, Shy Guy
Mid-Light: Peach, Daisy, Yoshi
Medium: Mario, Luigi
Mid-Heavy: Donkey Kong, Rosalina, Wiggler
Heavy: Bowser, Wario, Metal Mario, Queen Bee

What I don't get however is why DK is a mid-heavy. That seems like Metal Mario's position, since like Rosalina and Wiggler, he's not very bulky.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know. I just really hope it doesn't end up being a Funky/Daisy fest like in Mario Kart Wii with these stats. That's all that really bothers me.
The lack of a standstill mini-turbo pretty much means that acceleration will be a bigger player than speed this time.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
I'm fine about the stat boosts since they are more fair. And with no standing mini-turbo, speed *****s will suffer more with getting their speed started. :p

UberMario

Smash Master

What I don't get however is why DK is a mid-heavy. That seems like Metal Mario's position, since like Rosalina and Wiggler, he's not very bulky.
I'm pretty sure that a hunk of metal the size of a 200-pound man is going to outweigh most of the cast. DK was demoted to mid-heavy for the same reason that Rosalina has never been a middleweight: balance. That is also why the princesses and Yoshi have been constantly bouncing around lightweight, mid-lightweight and middleweight throughout the series.

I'm glad that the boosts are not "character" specific. Even if it turns out that there is a superior weight class, we'd still at least have a choice of who to use.

Also, the Japanese website updated again with the Special and Lightning cups:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/amkj/

And this shouldn't be a surprise, but like in Mario Kart Wii, snaking is back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUKGl1C7W5I#t=36s

The amount of track needed to do it though is going to limit it to only a few tracks though, because most are too curvy/glider-involving/underwater for it to be noticeable. However, at the same time, the mini-boosts are more powerful than in the Wii counterpart. On the plusside for anti-snakers, staying in a drift out of a turn looks like it will be faster than snaking, so you will be able to just hold it down and drift in the turns.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Couldn't the heavyweights just customize a kart with high acceleration and fix that problem?
I highly doubt a vehicle would have a combination of high speed and acceleration. :p Though let's say worse case scenario, that happens. I'm pretty sure that a combination would have some type of major downside, like bad handling/off-road.

Airgemini

Chansey
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
So apparently you can see everybody's items during races? Like MKDS or something.
That sounds kind of lame. I never played MKDS, but I always liked the surprise factor with items.

It makes blues kind of pointless if people will just see that you have it.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
So apparently you can see everybody's items during races? Like MKDS or something.
That sounds kind of lame. I never played MKDS, but I always liked the surprise factor with items.

Too bad you can't do anything about the person who's holding a Lightning bolt in last place in other MK games...I mean the only way to know someone even has one is to see that it's no longer in the rotation of the items and even then, someone's holding it, ready to screw you over over a jump area.

At least if you know you play a little more cautiously around a few items. Surprise factor being gone is a bit lame, but I sure dislike going over a jump I HAVE to go over and being punished for doing so.

§leepy God

Smash Master
It kind of sounds like beatboxing near the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Eidre_8-AU

^Here is an example from Airship Fortress. Deeper drums and a tamborine come in when Luigi takes the lead. (This guy also has videos of the final retro and all of Special Cup, if you wanted to hear the music in higher quality than the other videos have.)
That's a really cool feature. Getting first is a heavy responsibility, and the upbeats makes the soundtracks sound even better. :D

You almost scared me thinking that MKDS drifting was back, that would scare almost half the community.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Game doesn't seem that exciting for me with no unlockable characters I want to use

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Is the there any invincibility after getting hit in this game? If I remember my MKW days, it sorta sucked getting hit 7 times and then finally being able to move.

:phone:

UberMario

Smash Master

The bottom screen works exactly like it did in Mario Kart DS. It shows all of the character positions, their items and a map with their locations. Looking at it is pretty much optional, as the top screen contains the actual gameplay.

The Blue Shell isn't hurt at all by it, however, Bloopers were more than useless thanks to the bottom screen in MKDS, as you could just drive while looking at the zoomed in map until the effects went away. (Basically, the zoomed-in map mod is a top down view using sprites of the character icons and items)

this vid is silly, snaking never left ever since miniturbos in 64, it was just ignored in MKW because of the bikes thats all
Thank You. The comments were absolutely ridiculous on that video.

☯ I think this video might be better. It more or less feels like Mario Kart Wii snaking.
I think that the reason that Koopa Troopa isn't pulling away from Bowser is because of the speed stats, Metal Mario was clearly pulling ahead against his ghost.

Is the there any invincibility after getting hit in this game? If I remember my MKW days, it sorta sucked getting hit 7 times and then finally being able to move.

:phone:
I don't think so, but explosions have been nerfed and the item balance is way better. Invincibility has only existed in Battle Mode.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I don't think so, but explosions have been nerfed and the item balance is way better. Invincibility has only existed in Battle Mode.
Ok that sounds a lot better to me. I did know invincibility was Battle Mode only, but I wasn't sure what Nintendo would do to fix MKW's issue.

Top Bottom