• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Pierce is wrong. This MU is even. Mario has the ability to combo and edgeguard Lucario with his fast aerials and good juggle game and his smashes send Lucario in an undesirable direction. We have fireballs with do better than baby AS. Lucario does have the ability to stop our juggling with dair and has fair to juggle us with. His Fsmash also does very good against Mario's aerial approaches and can reliably kill you so when you're at higher percents it would be better for you to approach from the ground so that you can shield. The key to this MU with Mario is to kill him at reliable percents. Just getting hits in with bair or uair and not killing until 180 is BAD. Lucario's moves get stronger as he takes damage so he can turn the tide around if he kills you at low percents.

At worst for Mario, it's 45:55.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
I think its Even
If Lucario's somewhere below the Edge he's easily edgegaurded
His Recovery does no Damage

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I read Pierce's arguments on his opinion of Lucario, and basically it is something like this:

Lucario is a limited character who has REALLY REALLY GOOD WALLS and the best forward roll in the game, but doesn't really have very good baiting options due to rather slowish frame data and a terrible shieldgrab, and his F-air simply isn't good enough to give him the tools to beat solid spacing games. Lucario's options basically are roll, wall, F-air, grab, Aura Sphere. The way to beat him is pretty simple but requires patience, since basically you can limit him to walling with good spacing and option covering his forward roll (which at some point is GONNA happen).

When I look at the matchup this way, I believe the way Pierce understands the matchup is that Mario's quick and low lag spacers like B-air can be used to option cover Lucario safely. What also helps Mario is the relative ease with which he avoids Aura Sphere due to the Cape and his decent projectile. Mario when he gets in Lucario's face and avoids the shieldgrab can be very difficult for Lucario to punish. On a fundamental level Mario can outspace Lucario and put him out of a position where he's able to make good punishes. Pierce I believe might probably then be more confident in Mario's edgeguarding than I would be, since the real reason why I can't see Mario pulling an advantage in this matchup is due to how hard Lucario is for Mario to kill.

lilseph

Smash Ace
I'm not a big expert on Lucario, but i would say that he beats Mario. I don't understand the reasoning behind why he thinks Mario would win.

NNID
LilG912
Lucario is not a bad matchup at all, just watch out for his dair, predict when he shoots the aura ball so we can cape, watch out for jab cancel to throw or jab cancel to side b, gimp him early, be careful about how u gonna juggle him b4 he gets to us. (f**k his dair spam)

JUDGE

Smash Lord
k guys, todays my biggest tourne i've ever attended yet
gonna rep mario,marth and fox wish me good luck :)
gonna fight against Mr R best marth in europe and probably better than mikehazeO.o

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I think we should stop relying on Cape as much.

UberMario

Smash Master
It looks more like he chucked it downward, where was that taken at? Or was that just something random you found? lol

UberMario

Smash Master
Is it sad that I thought rage-quitting was only done by people online? I've never seen anyone do it when I play them in person.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You know something, I just realized how ridiculously broken Mario would be if he were more mobile.

And provided fireballs still went at the same speed, they would be so overpowered as setup tools.

Marth wouldn't have **** on Mario if he could move faster and get in to break his zoning. Mario would outright beat Wario like 65/35 with an unpunishable aerial game, and Metaknight would probably be even if Mario moved faster than his fireballs. The hardest matchup would probably be Falco.

But pay no attention to me, it's all my imagination anyway.

SKidd

Smash Master
Well
Stop playing Balanced Brawl and make a Brawl where Mario is broken.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I'd be interested in seeing that.

I'd also be interested in seeing what would happen if you made his fireballs very fast (limit of two onscreen at a time) just like in the games.

Top Bottom