• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I really think we should rediscuss Mario vs Pikachu. The more I play Volt_Storm_7, the less confident I feel about the matchup (specifically when I play Volt) and I conclude it's 55/45 Pikachu's favor.

One of the things I complain about in the matchup is the lack of any really reliable way Mario can actually KO Pikachu. This is something I almost NEVER complain about in most matchups. Scoring KOs reliably is my personal strength, and against most people I usually have ways of pulling out clutch KOs when my opponent needs to die. Against Pikachu, I always feel like I have to either just pick up on bad habits, or make really lucky guesses, or bet on some really obscure bait tactic on the fly in order to land a kill move against Volt's Pikachu.

It's probably because the more I play Volt, the more he knows how the matchup works and the better he adapts to all the random things I could possibly throw at him (and he's played Flameleon quite a bit, who I believe has a similar style to my own). The matchup is definitely winnable since Mario can make more mistakes than Pikachu due to his weight and fairly solid recovery. A Pikachu that plays to be elusive however is not fun to approach, and he can be very tough to edgeguard if he knows the matchup.

Sometimes when he's on his game and I'm not, I feel like the matchup is 65/35 Pikachu just due to how many more options he has to confuse me that I can't realistically react to, and unless I'm using B-airs, I have to be spacing better than him to reliably land hits since he's more disjointed on a number of his lingering attacks. Sometimes I would rather play vs a Snake than vs Pikachu just due to how easy the matchup is to follow and play on a calculating basis. At any rate I hope you guys enjoyed the videos. And what I did get out of this is that I know that I will never lose to any Pikachu unless they are at least as good as this guy.
Hmmm...

I'd actually say that the MU is even.

There's no reason to approach aggressively, just let your fireballs do the talking. Bair can be used to approach if fireballs don't work. Nair can cancel out a thunderjolt, so that can be used as well. I think the tornado can cancel out thunder jolts as well.

I don't feel it's necessary to cape everything, but rather using it to keep pika honest. For example, if pika spams thunder, cape one. It's more of a psychological advantage more than anything.

I have a good bit of pika experience both offline (Scatz) and online (ENNH).

Famous

Smash Champion
You can FLUDD jolts+stop pikas approaches at the same time 8D

I haven't played a good Pika in a loooooooooooooong time with Mario though

Famous

Smash Champion
They just added more gay stages for MK to take you to...Port Town? seriously...Luigi's Mansion is another place for Falco's to CP since its hella easy to laser-lock someone there, not to mention camp..

Inferno3044

Smash Master
9 neutrals are dumb. Especially because most of them aren't neutral. CS, PS1, Halberd, and Delfino are definitely not as balanced as the original 5 neutrals.

Port Town was a brilliant idea. Get at the cars killing at 60% not be a good enough reason to ban them.

The other new CPs are dumb. At least Port Town is fun.

Lol at the disapproval of coaching but not banning it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
idk, as far as I'm concerned, Mario really is only going to like Luigis in low tiers. Luigi's is an awful stage against G&W, Metaknight, ROB, Olimar, and Falco. Now that I think about it, Pikachu probably is a nightmare to face on this stage as well.

It's really not that good news for Mario.

And PTAD, aside from the whole Metaknight sharking the stage, it's just a really dumb stage in general.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
My thoughts on the stage list. I think the amount of butthurt for the stage list is hilarious, considering... well, how 2.0 was. I do feel a ton more comfortable that I don't have to worry about FD until I get to a 7 stage list (if one were to completely go by this, which they won't because they didn't before) and am comfortable against **** near anyone on all of these stages. Even if I get wrecked, lol.

Sucks that Ganonciding was screwed over, but it never really affected me so ultimately idrgaf. A ledge grab limit was never in place before, so that's negligible. Ultimately, if you want a LGL, you can put it in. I'm mad that they're cool with D3 infiniting out the ***, but I mean... that's why I have a Falco secondary. I ain't even really mad.

Edit to thine poster above me: Mario is playable on just about every stage imaginable. Ultimately for CP's you gotta pick a stage you're comfortable with. That's how to play the game. Mario's a bad character against the top of the meta game, it's something we've known for a long time. Learn stages, get secondaries, etc. We knew what we were getting into.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
The suicide rule is dumb. I liked the original one (and what I thought was in 2.0) that the person that does the suicide move wins. The fact that you have to reset the stock is dumb because if you were winning it kinda ****s you over and if you were losing it gives you a chance. I'm just gonna make someone face me in Bowser dittos (lol) and we'll just stall out the venue with Bowsercides.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
One of you guys play BBrawl with me. I know Mario mains have reason to like this game lol.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I'm interested in Brawl Minus too. I'm actually not interested in Brawl+ almost at all. Haha. It just seems sooo boring and I prefer the level of hitstun in Brawl...unless I'm playing against Luigi, lol. Dumb nair.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Just don't try to Uair chain Luigi and his Nair really isn't a problem. Just poke him from the side a bunch and then kill with Fsmash. :D

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I haven't played Blue Rouge yet. Krystedez thinks I could beat him due to my Wario experience though. (The only other competitive player within a half-an-hour of here plays Wario.)

SKidd

Smash Master
who is that guy, and all the other guys you guys are talking about

Players from my area I know are Melee players... lloloolololololol

Top Bottom