• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario 2010 Video Archives! - Updated 8/14

2fast

Smash Journeyman
I need help nao.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QboZ0NZX3Xs

Omni kills me, ***** me, destroys me, dominates me, anything you can think of. We go almost even (if I don't get gimped) until Omni reaches kill %s and I absolutely suck at getting kills moves out so once he reaches those %s I get outspaced, outplayed, out everythinged. I need criticsm now on the MK MU on what to do better, how to get kill moves out on him (and kill moves out in general on people I can't just cape and gimp because I suck at those MUs), how to recover smartly and not get gimped, and whatever else you guys see. Critiscm needed and appreciated.

PS: Please dont mind my accidental Up-Bs, SDs, and misspaced b-airs xP.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Watched and Analyzed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QboZ0NZX3Xs#t=1m19s (watch until 1:24)

That is basically what you need to do the entire match-up. Metaknight is the one character you cannot go toe-to-toe with an expect to come out on top. Keep your distance, abuse fireballs, and read his reactions successfully. You do this well until start trying to force a kill, which just doesn't work well vs Metaknight. Keep in mind avoiding damage is more important than giving damage.

As far as getting landing kill moves..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QboZ0NZX3Xs#t=2m53s (watch until 2:58)

That's how you do it. Wait for Metaknight to open himself and you'll get your kill in. Until he does, stay defensive and avoid taking damage as much as possible. You'll give yourself much more space to breathe later on in the match.

Now for improvements:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QboZ0NZX3Xs#t=4m41s (watch until 4:59)

Stop doing both of these. Metaknight is the best planker for a reason, and it goes doubly for Mario. If he planks, stay back and just spam fireballs. It's your only (safe) option. If you're off the stage, do not go low. DI upward and stay as high as you can, drift back to the stage. Mario's N-air beats Shuttle Loop, and so does D-air but it's more reliant on Metaknight not hitting Mario's feet.

When drifting back on stage try to limit conflict with Metaknight as much as possible. Up-B immediately if you're close to the stage and he's trying to edgeguard you off for a gimp. Fireballs help extremely well with this. Don't forget to Cape stall either.

Try to stay with, or slightly above Metaknight's altitude to avoid D-tilt and D-air, the two hardest moves for Mario to get around. MK's other ground moves and F-air are easier to deal with. Also, FLUDD helps when Metaknight is aerial because it can screw with his spacing.

With all this in mind your match-ups vs Metaknight should be closer.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think your approach game could need some work ... I'd almost go as far as to call it naive but it'd probably unfair considering the level of your opponent. I really don't understand your offensive decision making though and most of the things were just too predictable and looked like you walked right into the trap. You'd make some really nice baits to which he responded with his shield ... just so you walk up and throw in something as unsafe as dsmash? 2:43 is a pretty good example of how to NOT approach with Mario because instead of reacting to his shield with a grab you'd throw out a move that's unsafe on block. If I'd drew a conclusion from my own behavior to yours I'd say you're auto-piloting too much while approaching and follow a certain pattern too much rather than observing your opponent. Obviously this is hard against an opponent like Omni but it's the key to beat ... almost *every* opponent as Mario imo. Once you start improving your offensive decision making and implement your own reads into it ... you might find better ways to kill as well. Once he has to start dodging a possible grab attempt you can read that and usmash / fsmash him out of it.

The overall conclusion is that more mix-ups would greatly help your approach game because some patterns stood out fairly quick [you would always grab out of dash and always spotdodge out of walk for example] and Omni had no issues reacting to that and punishing it [especially once he had the lead].

In regards to gimps I'd say the 2nd stock of the 2nd match pretty much sums it up: if he's waiting at the ledge, don't just run straight into it ... of course he's going to gimp you for that.

:059:

2fast

Smash Journeyman
I didn't even notice I always sidestepped out of walk 0.o. As my approach is concerned, yea, I agree with my approach game with Mk is naive and awful, I won't even deny that. My mk mu experience is poor and my mindgames are useless on him as I usually do short hop mindgames but when Mk can just short hop f-fair me as soon as I hop up, it makes me have to rely on my ground game (which I should be using since Mk completely out air and ground games me but the ground isn't as bad as the air).

One reason I did what I did against Will and Logic is cuz of MU experience which I have virtually none with mk (mu johns). MU's I realize are a huge part of low tiers and I need more. Omni read me like a book and reacted while I was powerless to stop him not knowing how to fight the MK. It didn't help he knew the Mario MU either because of playing boss.

Thanks for the advice though Gheb, it shows I have a lot to work on with the Mk (I hate him so much).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Creative ways to land kills:

*U-smash out of shield when he does a tilt (face backwards. Doing it in between his hits of F-tilt isn't a bad idea if you know it will kill him).
*Walk to his F-smash/D-smash range, charge F-smash if you know he will take the bait (the goal is getting him to whiff on your leanback so you can potentially kill him at like 80%, charging F-smash helps you get punished a little less hard on block as well)
*Save B-throw to 160 (Not actually creative, but it's an option I don't see from most other Mario users)

Everyone else beat me to explaining the other fundamental things you did wrong.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm pretty sure I saw those videos a while ago. Anyhow I probably said something to the extent of don't spotdodge as much, more D-airs, more autojabs. Also your spacing really needs work.

steep

Smash Lord
Thanks for the advice A2. I have been practicing and getting better at those things so hopefully I'll get some newer videos and get your thoughts (and anyone elses) on those.

steep

Smash Lord
Watched the 1st match. You have a good mario, I suggest you should use more fireballs when getting back onstage, that way your opponent needs to be busy avoiding fireballs, instead of KO'ing you
Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely work on that! And thanks for the compliment!

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Awesomeeeeee!

I love watching my Mario...so sexy! Thx Coolwhip XD

How old are these?

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
They only like a few weeks old matador, two weeks @ best. And thanks. xD

So what can you tell me from the pit match?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Wasn't bad @ Coolwhip.

Smashking was a lil aggressive for a Pit though. And the way you lost ur first stock was silly, lol.

Other than that, pretty good match imo.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
wasn't too bad with the vs pit match.

work on spacing, moving abit faster, and less grab habits and less trying to edgeguard habit (grabbing edge when you can simply just ledge trap him)

if u can play consistently like your last stock, you should do fine. otherwise nice match coolwhip

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
wasn't too bad with the vs pit match.

work on spacing, moving abit faster, and less grab habits and less trying to edgeguard habit (grabbing edge when you can simply just ledge trap him)

if u can play consistently like your last stock, you should do fine. otherwise nice match coolwhip
That was the first time seeing me making alot of grab attempts. lol
Thanks for the tips though hippy.
Also thnx to matador & mars16

2fast

Smash Journeyman
@Coolwhip

I haven't commented on your videos yet.

The Pit replay I saw was pretty solid. Like Matador said, for a Pit, he was really aggressive which is different from the Pit I usually brawl. The only thing I say is that there were some unneccesary sidesteps (which I also have this problem) but other than that the gameplay was pretty solid. It looks like you pressured him really well when you got in close wit dat aggressive Mario. Good stuff. And LOL at that f-air edge guard.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Coolwhip, you need to use a lot more F-tilt. Just combined with fireballs and F-smash, it's how you win in midrange against Pit. Pit's midrange game is his main weakness, and exploiting that should be your focus in the matchup.

Also edgeguarding with Fireballs is really good against Pit. He's mostly an easy target for them especially if he has to recover low, and if you're lucky, it's the easiest way to gimp him out of his Up-B.

I don't really like your recovery either. Like the first match, you could have easily survived by Cape Stalling. The other times you Cape Stall often feel just like an unnecessary waste. Cape Stalling is something you try to do as LATE as possible when recovering.

I also think you try too hard to land U-tilts. You should usually be grabbing in most of the situations where you were trying to "combo" into it. U-air is better for comboing into U-tilt, but again, it's not something you should try to force, since the matchup is primarily won through playing a solid midrange game.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The first stock was silly. When Snake D-throws, you should always prioritize rolling away because getting up normally or doing a getup attack is significantly more punishable.

You should have been fireball camping Snake when he was in the water. His damage was waaaay too low to get anything out of F-airing him.

You really need to work on Fireball -> grab approaches. Your B-air spacing really needs to improve.

Dunno what else to say. You just need really good fundamentals to win against Snake.

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
Yeah switching between Luigi and Mario takes some time, but no johns.

Thanks A2, TC1 was telling me i needed to Bair more and dash attack when he tries to land. I'll definitely try to get my fireball approaches to be better. That Snake is Sake-Hato btw, Wi-fi player and the best Snake in the West Coast. Man is #4 in the Norcal Power Rankings ;) That's my bro though haha I told him I'll get him one day to make you guys proud. Again ty keep em coming <3

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah switching between Luigi and Mario takes some time, but no johns.

Thanks A2, TC1 was telling me i needed to Bair more and dash attack when he tries to land. I'll definitely try to get my fireball approaches to be better. That Snake is Sake-Hato btw, Wi-fi player and the best Snake in the West Coast. Man is #4 in the Norcal Power Rankings ;) That's my bro though haha I told him I'll get him one day to make you guys proud. Again ty keep em coming <3
Your spacing was a bit off too at times. Can't really afford that vs Snake.

Like on your first stock, you SHDair too far from him and land right in front of him. Later on you throw out Bairs that aren't spaced (not always gonna BE spaced, I know. It's just important to be safe vs Snake) which got you punished every time. You wanna space until your chance to get inside arises.

Edit: Oh yeah...get this dude in the air too. Dthrow, Uthrow, Utilt, Dair, and Usmash. His CQC is a little too good for Mario to win grounded. When you can't get him aerial safely, just space with fireballs, SHbairs, and your normal jab stuffs...just try to stay out of his Ftilt/grab range. Make him work to get inside.

2fast

Smash Journeyman
Gimp the f*** out of Snake. That's how I win. Honestly I don't usually try and outspace snake. I dash in there when I can, grab his @$$, d-throw at low %s, combo him offstage, and proceed to gimp him. I feel this is the best way to win the MU.

SKidd

Smash Master
Game 1
Game 2

Critique please?

We didn't play with THAT ACTUAL MUSIC... This was a joke done by the smasher who uploaded it. But yeah :p Critique please? :)

And I am aware I got utterly *****.

Captain L

Smash Champion
I think I was punishing you a lot for fireballs when I was really close to you. Even though a lot of them hit me, it's not worth the small chips of damage you're getting I don't think.

Top Bottom