• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario 2010 Video Archives! - Updated 8/14

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'll sum it up in two words for you SKidd. More F-tilt.

I'll assume that you already know how to DI, how to space aerials, autoJab, how to punish Pikachu's D-smash oos, and all that other minor matchup stuff.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Or, maybe you should consider hitting the Pikachu more.
This actually is good advice for you.

During the first two stocks of the first match, I didn't really know what your gameplan was. Not aggro, not defensive, not passive-aggressive...it just seemed like you were hopping around and tossing a fireball every so often. You would successfully bait him into committing to something by doing empty jumps, AND you'd space yourself well, but then there was no punish. On your last stock (of both matches) you were performing well, but too little too late.

Also, when getting juggled, don't be afraid to throw out a nair/dair. During your second stock on the second match, he juggled you for like 80% and I didn't see a nair to attempt to break his momentum. If you're feeling pressured, you can run away and reset yourself.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Kanzaki, stop airdodging to the ground all the time. Especially when your opponent is rushing you, it puts Mario in a terrible position where you are guaranteed to get grabbed. A better idea would be just to cape in their direction and keep moving away from them. Of course if you are pretty far away from them it hardly matters, but then there's no reason to do it. I think you went a bit overboard trying to bait out Fsmash kills with it too. :/

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Oh, I didn't even know that was posted yet.

There's a few other matches that are being processed I believe.. And yea I know I have an airdodging to ground habit, came from Melee/PM --> L canceling xD

I just do it cause of muscle memory, if I stop doing it, it messes up my Melee game. But yea, any who, that guy's a very good ROB(Victor Tristan), we're like 2-3 right now or something like that. But yea, I'm hosting weeklies so expect more videos soon.

And oh yea, that match was only a friendly, I was busy running the tourney </john>

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Oh, I didn't even know that was posted yet.

There's a few other matches that are being processed I believe.. And yea I know I have an airdodging to ground habit, came from Melee/PM --> L canceling xD

I just do it cause of muscle memory, if I stop doing it, it messes up my Melee game. But yea, any who, that guy's a very good ROB(Victor Tristan), we're like 2-3 right now or something like that. But yea, I'm hosting weeklies so expect more videos soon.

And oh yea, that match was only a friendly, I was busy running the tourney </john>
Well stop it! Although I do tend to try to L-Cancel after playing Melee for an extensive amount of time, that's only when I'm doing aerials!

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Yes, it is. Obviously I realized that the video wasn't going to be serious, but I thought it might be somewhat humerous or sexy in some way. It turned out to be a disappointment.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Some doubles matches from my last smashfest are up. It was mostly us messing around cause they arrived early. Towards the end when they got more intense was when more people started arriving and I had to give them directions over the phone while playing </john>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=areIAmQI7pE <-- DOUBLE MARIO!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQq5m5Q5fcU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05twOaM26Hc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWDLLJg7nVs

As I said in another post, I did badly that day, so don't expect anything spectacular :p

Victortristan did extremely well though, so go through that channel to check some good ROB plays. He used Mario a few times too, so check out the ROB version of Mario :]

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
That game looks fun vadgama

very inspiring
__________--

good match

funny second stock kill on ZZS
its like watching goku and Vegeta fight and listing to country music at the same time lol

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
You're nair OOS was awesome at around 4:22
Also the jab to a down smash finisher was nice.

Now for critiqueing.
I feel like you're not using the most of marios arsenal of mindgames. Mindgames are something of a complicated nature despite its simple definiton, to analyze your opponents fighting style and use their predictability to your advantage. Stutter Step fsmash, FLUD'ing you're opponent on one of their short hops or long jumps and then follow up with a hard hitter. You also seemed to play pretty offensively the whole time...which isn't bad in a sense... but you got punished a lot for it. That may just be your playstyle but I would try doing an offensive approach to see what they do in certain situations like when they're cornered or off the edge and adapt my playstyle according to their reaction. FLUD is underused in my opinion. It's amazing offstage but it still has it's perks on-stage. I'm not sure exactly on the hitbox for Mario's upB but that might be another good OOS option?

Overall you have a pretty wicked Mario....btw mario's bair if you space em right is phenomenal

Also I dunno if you did this but a fireball->nair approach is pretty awesome and if they predict that then do a dsmash when you land or an upB before you land. Mix crap up, Never be predicable. Keep learning and adding things to your playstyle.

SKidd

Smash Master
Thanks a lot. That was a really good match for me.

I'll take all of that into account.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Wow. I usually don't think playing fast and aggressive is that good of an idea, but you manage to do it really well.
I can play smart too ya know xD. My cousin's bf plays smash (Vezzo)
Right alone with his brother & cousin. They'll skill level is.....L-tier to No tier @ all :lol:
Vezzo plays the best out of the three. He really can play better then that. I've seen him
brawl on his "Good Dayz" Other then that, we just play brawl minus altogether.

LOL Dtilt to Fsmash.....nice one coolwhip u should nair OOS more...other then that ur mario looks pretty solid...
Why thank you boss....lol
D-tilt to f-smash is one of my favorite kill set up moves since mario doesn't have a power kill move...which sucks.
That video is kinda old to me now & i've "1-up" with mario since. Hardcore training pays-off ya know. :)
It's funny how i get so many ppl with that move. The last victim to get pwn by that move was MP8 (Mario main)
His mario is pretty solid as well. Thanks for the Nair OOS tip. I'll keep that in mind.

:mario2: <--Soon to be national champion

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@coolwhip

Boss kinda is right, but don't N-air oos. U-air oos. 99% of the time U-air oos is better, both safer and more damaging, and only slower by a single frame. You just need to learn to lightly hold upwards to buffer it.

You need to shield a LOT more. Especially against Ike. Ike wants you to spotdodge. You almost never need to do that, and you shouldn't, given that a lot of his stuff is pretty unsafe on block, and his grab is not a threat (just don't DI poorly when he does B-throw -> DA combo which works at around mid percents).

Spacing is pretty good though, you probably could have gotten easier kills if you waited for U-smashes oos (you can try to do this in between hits of his Jab combo, whenever he does a DA, or any non-retreating aerial). Don't waste B-throw on heavies until about 180% on neutrals.

Anyhow though a lot of you getting hit was mainly just being impatient, your fundamentals otherwise were decently solid.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
When you say, "Don't DI poorly" what do you mean? More-so, how would you recommend to DI (or/& SDI) Ike's b-throw A2ZOMG? You'd be susceptible to grabs by shielding (generally speaking). Shield pressure (rapid hitting attacks) are also to take into account.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
Why thank you boss....lol
D-tilt to f-smash is one of my favorite kill set up moves since mario doesn't have a power kill move...which sucks.
That video is kinda old to me now & i've "1-up" with mario since. Hardcore training pays-off ya know. :)
It's funny how i get so many ppl with that move. The last victim to get pwn by that move was MP8 (Mario main)
His mario is pretty solid as well. Thanks for the Nair OOS tip. I'll keep that in mind.

:mario2: <--Soon to be national champion

Yeah, I remember that move. o_o Its been giving me more variety since then. Those were fun sets we had. And nice job with that Ike. Naturally of course, much more menacing Mario offline.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
When you say, "Don't DI poorly" what do you mean? More-so, how would you recommend to DI (or/& SDI) Ike's b-throw A2ZOMG? You'd be susceptible to grabs by shielding (generally speaking). Shield pressure (rapid hitting attacks) are also to take into account.
Ike can combo into Dash Attack after B-throw. DI both moves upwards. If you get sent into tumble, airdodge on reaction and if he whiffs, you might be able punish him for it. There some silly people who literally don't DI this AT ALL and get gimped for it. Don't be one of them, because I've seen this happen before.

Anyhow the point is Ike's grab generally isn't much to worry about. He has a certain range where he can combo you into Dash attack, and that's about it and outside of that his throw reward is complete crap. His D-throw kills at like 200% vertically, definitely weaker than your B-throw, and generally if you see Ike going for juggle shenanigans, it's not hard to avoid on reaction, since 90% of his moves start in like 18 frames, and his aerials are all mostly pretty bad at frametrapping.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Generally when an opponent jabs, you'd want DI+SDI away from them but I'd like to know your thoughts (A2ZOMG) on another next effective way to DI+SDI if you're getting read (which direction(s))? Thanks.

Top Bottom