• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marina Liteyears for SSBB *Updated Moveset*

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Makin' Mischief. Dibs on all Theo related jokes.

But you do realize that if Marina hasn't been considered by now, she's probably got no chance, right?
Not really. For the most part, only popular characters were on the suggestion list. It's been mentioned a number of times that we'll be getting obscure characters so it's still possible.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
Makin' Mischief. Dibs on all Theo related jokes.

But you do realize that if Marina hasn't been considered by now, she's probably got no chance, right?
sakurai stated he didnt want to only go with popular characters. and marina is the perfect "WTF?" third party character. if she got in with megaman, snake, and sonic(maybe bomberman too) I would be happy.

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to check Sin and Punishment's credits on characters and everything to see how well Marina's chances are. If anyone has the chance, go check the credits of Mischief Makers.
Just remembered that. I went and watched it but there wasn't much in terms of ownership mention. I do remember that one of the guys in charge of translation had the name "Hiro Nakamura" which I found mildly amusing, heh. Unfortunately the credits didn't shed much light on anything. This is the best I could come up with from both the ones in the ending and actual credits.

Character Design: HAN (Whatever that is - also it's not really directly related to ownsership)
(c) 1997 Treasure/Enix (Also on title screen)
Licensed to NINTENDO (On title screen)

I'm not sure if any of that is even relevent but it's all I found relating to characters and copyright. If it helps though I also tried to look for the guy in charge of music incase it was on the list, but they didn't exactly have a clearcut "Music by [Person]". All it said was "Music: NON" which again I'm not sure what it means since it's a similar situation to that HAN thing. The guy afterward who did the sound effects was Satoshi E.. but I didn't quite catch the last name. Still he only did the sound effects so I wasn't quite expecting anything to surface from it anyway, and there aren't any Satoshis on the musicians list.

*Sigh* The credits were kind of useless >.> Sorry if someone already checked this before, I just wanted to read over it for myself.

One thing though, is anyone able to shed some light on the fact that it said copyright to Treasure/Enix, but Licensed to Nintendo? I'm not quite sure where that leaves Marina >.<

Veysey

Smash Cadet
If you were to make a club, I think "Shake Shake!" works best.

Thing is, everyone whos overly familiar with the game instantly realizes the connection. People who maybe played it when it was released (oh my, its 10 years old, isn't it) but never much after won't realize what it is right away... but once they connect "shake shake" with mischief Makers, I would assume a flood of memories would ensue.

I remember as a newb, I had to shake everything... so "Shake Shake!" is likely one of my most prominent sound oriented memories of the game. (As in when I think about it, I can hear it clear as a bell)

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . . Im likeing "Shake Shake" as well.

LOL, I use to think it was "Shake shake shake" for a long time. Guess that term became infused with that song that went. . .
"Shake shake shake!!!

Shake shake shake!!!

shake yo booty!!!" after a well in my mind.

Been years sence I played it. . . .wish I was more of a gamer back than. Couldn't beat the game (got stuck on a level where I couldn't find a way to clear a path to the end. . . didn't have the focus or will that I have now @ the age of 19 YO).

I hope this comes to VC sometime next year. . .I really want to give it another go.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Well, Saki is officially part of the Dojo now. Marina's chances are still there.

I like Sakurai's quote "This game lets you enjoy a dream cast of supporting characters". It gives hope for pretty much anything.

Black/Light

Smash Master

Up date was right, he DOES look like he could be a character. I wonder if he was actually every plained to be a character.

I also wonder what this does for Marina.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion

Up date was right, he DOES look like he could be a character. I wonder if he was actually every plained to be a character.

I also wonder what this does for Marina.
so far we have recieved two AT that seem like they could have fought along side as part of the roster (grey fox and saki) this shows how much developement was put into this game. I do hope that marina is put into the game, she would make a great WTF third party and with all the time they had and money put into this, I think marina could be implemented, but it is unlikely to me.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Depinds on if she is 3tf party or not;)

We can't seem to get a clear answer as to who exactly she belongs to oddly enuff. We can only hope Nintendo owns her.

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
I guess all we can do is hope. I wish we could just gt a clearcut answer on her ownership somehow. One thing I do hope though is that, regardless of whether Marina is 3rd party or not, we get SOME sort of non-mega-following 3rd-partier. I'd just like to see obscure characters (like Marina :p ) get some recognition, outside of people like Sonic/Megaman/Bomberman/etc. If, coincidentally, that means Marina, then the more power too her!

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
Wait, isn't one of Marina's third party companies "Enix" which it is now Square Enix? That can be a problem.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
I can see her as an assist trophy, if you get near her she grabs you, so basically she does all that she can do..
all captain falcon can do is drive his race car thing in his games, but look at him in SSB64.
those of you who think someone cant have a move set clearly have no faith in sakurai's limitless creativity.

Veysey

Smash Cadet
all captain falcon can do is drive his race car thing in his games, but look at him in SSB64.
those of you who think someone cant have a move set clearly have no faith in sakurai's limitless creativity.
Don't forget that some of her moves can be made to damage anyways... like a downB makes her slide through opponents. Obviously giving her a special throw with one of her B moves would be more than acceptable despite having 4 .... less aggressive... throws ;).

There is also the fact that she could punch and kick at some point in the games development... here is an example (that was left in the game) Skip to ~6:20. I mean an upB that does a big back flip with a heavy kick for a recovery? Hell yes! Heck, she could even be made a little more unique by allowing the player to boost by double tapping on the stick.

If Sakurai didn't feel she had enough to work with (which I believe she has plenty), he could always just borrow from the game... like some of the animals. Or even projectiles like the ninja stars or grenades (though lets face it, Marina is NOT a ranged fighter).

In short, there is PLENTY to do with Marina, and I actually wouldn't mind if she was designed to mainly use throws. Heck, even if half her moves required throwing... it makes her stand out and remains true to her roots at the same time.

The short version of all that? A moveset is the VERY least of Marinas worries.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Veysey is very much right.

And on a side note I really am let down by treasure. Been readding up on them. . . .they are working on a secret Wii title which is being made by their action game team (thats the good part, they must be the team for MM seeing as their other teams are for fighting games and shooter games) but their devs don't like doing sequels cause theres "too many high expectations" for them.
:(

I hope to see a S&P sequel (that was hinted at once long ago. . . but it's a shooter so the secret Wii game aint that) along with a MM sequel. . . even a Wii/DS-remake would make me happy. But with their take on sequels we can only hope they want to bring these games back.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Don't forget that some of her moves can be made to damage anyways... like a downB makes her slide through opponents. Obviously giving her a special throw with one of her B moves would be more than acceptable despite having 4 .... less aggressive... throws ;).

There is also the fact that she could punch and kick at some point in the games development... here is an example (that was left in the game) Skip to ~6:20. I mean an upB that does a big back flip with a heavy kick for a recovery? Hell yes! Heck, she could even be made a little more unique by allowing the player to boost by double tapping on the stick.

If Sakurai didn't feel she had enough to work with (which I believe she has plenty), he could always just borrow from the game... like some of the animals. Or even projectiles like the ninja stars or grenades (though lets face it, Marina is NOT a ranged fighter).

In short, there is PLENTY to do with Marina, and I actually wouldn't mind if she was designed to mainly use throws. Heck, even if half her moves required throwing... it makes her stand out and remains true to her roots at the same time.

The short version of all that? A moveset is the VERY least of Marinas worries.
Say... you're the same Veysey that S-ranked the whole game and posted it on YouTube?

Veysey is very much right.

And on a side note I really am let down by treasure. Been readding up on them. . . .they are working on a secret Wii title which is being made by their action game team (thats the good part, they must be the team for MM seeing as their other teams are for fighting games and shooter games) but their devs don't like doing sequels cause theres "too many high expectations" for them.
:(

I hope to see a S&P sequel (that was hinted at once long ago. . . but it's a shooter so the secret Wii game aint that) along with a MM sequel. . . even a Wii/DS-remake would make me happy. But with their take on sequels we can only hope they want to bring these games back.
I'd love to see a Mischief Makers remake/sequel for the Wii. Shake that wiimote!

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Captain falcon has never been outside of his car, so its easier to just make something up.. Marina literally.. just grabs and counters... shake shake.

Veysey

Smash Cadet
Don't count a S&P sequel out just yet.

From some issue of Nintendo Power
NP: When we spoke a couple of years ago, you mentioned that you would like to do a sequel to Sin and Punishment. Has the team given any more thought to that? And don’t you think it would be a perfect fit for Wii?

Masato Maegawa, Treasure: When we were originally working on Sin and Punishment [for Virtual Console], there was some discussion utilizing Wii-like controls, and I think now that we’re working more with the Wii, it is something we’d very much like to try.
They aren't against sequels per say... but if I were to take a guess, they want to avoid 'draining' a series. Maegawa and Sakurai are some of the very few who remain that make games because for the love of it rather then the profit that is attached. It makes perfect sense why Treasure would opt to avoid sequels unless they were certain that it could become a good and well loved game.

Don't lose hope just yet :)

Edit: Yes Jave... Mischief Makers is easily my favorite platformer and I've spent more then my fair share of time with the game

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
Captain falcon has never been outside of his car, so its easier to just make something up.. Marina literally.. just grabs and counters... shake shake.
dang your logic sucks im sorry. she HAS FOUGHT BEFORE, that is saying alot more than captain falcon. and who said she is incapable of punching? have you not read the posts in this thread at all?!?!!?!? think before you type please.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Marina does punch in the game. When she throws an enemy upwards or foward while jumping, she punches them.

Edit: Yes Jave... Mischief Makers is easily my favorite platformer and I've spent more then my fair share of time with the game
Dude. You're my GOD.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Don't count a S&P sequel out just yet.

From some issue of Nintendo Power

They aren't against sequels per say... but if I were to take a guess, they want to avoid 'draining' a series. Maegawa and Sakurai are some of the very few who remain that make games because for the love of it rather then the profit that is attached. It makes perfect sense why Treasure would opt to avoid sequels unless they were certain that it could become a good and well loved game.

Don't lose hope just yet :)

Yea, I know they have hinted at a new S&P. But the last I have heard from them on the Wii front is that they have their action team working on a game. . . and S&P is a shooter last I checked. (Buuut MM is a action game. . . .wouldn't put money on that bet even tho Im hoping with every bone that it's the case)

Im more hoping for somthing being done with MM. . . VC/ DS remake/ 2D Wii game/ 3D Wii game (With real shake shake actions for controls!). . . any of these would make me happy.:p

Besides, this would be the PERFECT time to start bringing back plateforms. SMG just blasted the door open, showing what Wii plus plateformers can do. I explect others to follow suit.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I was thinking of an idea for a Marina stage, and it could be something that combines the three big boss battles in MM.

Picture this:

You're standing in a single floating platform over a street, after a few seconds the platform starts moving down the road, and from a side view, Lunar in his Cerberus Alpha is chasing you while firing missiles. You keep fighting your opponents while dodging Lunar's missiles. After a while, the platform will fall down a cliff and Lunar disappears, the battlefield becomes static for a while at the bottom of the cliff as the fighters continue brawling while Tarus on Sasquatch Beta appear in the background throwing rocks at you. Every now and then Tarus will fire the tank's cannon, creating a big explosion you must evade. After another while, the platform will rise into the air (similar to the last part of the Mute City stage), and Merco in his Phoenix Gamma (in bird form) will appear and shoot laser beams from his wings, you must evade him until the stage returns to the street and starts all over again.

Thoughts?

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
The stage idea sounds fairly interesting. It seems like Castle Seige in a way with the 3 sections, and I like the idea of incorporating the bosses as Stage Hazards. One thing I'm a bit unclear on though is regarding the first part. Whilst being chased down the street by Lunar on the moving platform, would the platform be in constant motion while the ground is static, so you'd get the same effect as you do if you hit the ground on Big Blue? I always thought that mechanic was rather inventive, so it'd be nice to see the fast-paced "road deaths" brought back in another stage. Overall I really like the versatility of the stage, sounds kind of fun. :)

P.S. On a side note, I made a new button for Marina if anyone is interested. There are like *no* official images of her, so all that there really is to use is fanart >.< none-the-less, I like it.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
One thing I'm a bit unclear on though is regarding the first part. Whilst being chased down the street by Lunar on the moving platform, would the platform be in constant motion while the ground is static, so you'd get the same effect as you do if you hit the ground on Big Blue?
I suppose it could work like that, but if you fall to the road, chances are Cerberus Alpha will hit you and knock you forward. There are lots of things to be considered about this stage, but I'm glad you like it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yea, I know they have hinted at a new S&P. But the last I have heard from them on the Wii front is that they have their action team working on a game. . . and S&P is a shooter last I checked. (Buuut MM is a action game. . . .wouldn't put money on that bet even tho Im hoping with every bone that it's the case)

Im more hoping for somthing being done with MM. . . VC/ DS remake/ 2D Wii game/ 3D Wii game (With real shake shake actions for controls!). . . any of these would make me happy.:p

Besides, this would be the PERFECT time to start bringing back plateforms. SMG just blasted the door open, showing what Wii plus plateformers can do. I explect others to follow suit.
A MM sequel/remake would be awesome. The question is: Would a different main character be needed or will Marina use some sort of cybernetic suit?

Speaking of platformers, the genre also needs so good, nonlicensed, nongeneric platformers. If it wasn't for Mario, this genre would be near dead.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Did you guys read the last update? The one about controls?

Boy, Sakurai thinks he's so clever. Sneaking in something called "Shake Smash". He's either hinting us big time or he's being extremely cruel.

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
Heh, seems like an odd connection. It's a bit of a tease, albeit probably unintentional. Seems like it would be stretching it a bit :ohwell: but when I read that I actually did think of Marina, haha.

Black/Light

Smash Master
A MM sequel/remake would be awesome. The question is: Would a different main character be needed or will Marina use some sort of cybernetic suit?

Speaking of platformers, the genre also needs so good, nonlicensed, nongeneric platformers. If it wasn't for Mario, this genre would be near dead.
I think they would just re-vamp Marina (or, if she is in brawl, use that marina).

But I do agree, plateformers are going the way of the dino and Mario is atleast being them back on the Wii. I hope that w/e Treasure is working on that it's a Plateformer (would hope it's MM Wii seeing as it's a plateformer).

Veysey

Smash Cadet
I actually thought it had said "Shake Shake" and had to read it again lol. I'm curious why he calls it a "Shake Smash" though... I mean... you aren't really shaking the remote, at least not based on what he said. He makes it sound like you fiercely wave it once in the direction you want to smash... that doesn't sound much like a shake to me. Not to mention, if you "shake" the controller, aren't you more apt to accidentally smash in the opposite direction?

I hope its an intended hint rather then a silly choice of words on his part...

Top Bottom