• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marina Liteyears for SSBB *Updated Moveset*

omega_ridley_X

Smash Apprentice
The fiery pits of Norfair, home of RIDLEY!!!
Well, being such a unique game, I suppose it would make sense to make Marina a unique fighter. Hmmm, also, some of the other fighters can pull items out, like Peach (turnips/vegetable) and Link (bombs), so something similar could be done for Marina.
i never thought about the item thing... maybe she could pull out clancers or something to throw at people

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
i never thought about the item thing... maybe she could pull out clancers or something to throw at people
People have also suggested incorporating the clanpot into her moveset as well. I suppose she could pull out clancers, could make for some hilarious battles, but there's always the ninja star, gun, flower which would essentially be a dud, clanbomb, and all those things that she could pull out too with varying chances.

Jester_Katz

Smash Cadet
That's twisted...but not something surprising:

Marina(throwing a pulled-out clancer at Mario): Get him!
Clancer(being thrown): Aghhhhhhhhhh!!
Mario: Whoa!!! Mama-Mia!!

If she is playable, I just hope she'll be a fun character!

omega_ridley_X

Smash Apprentice
The fiery pits of Norfair, home of RIDLEY!!!
People have also suggested incorporating the clanpot into her moveset as well. I suppose she could pull out clancers, could make for some hilarious battles, but there's always the ninja star, gun, flower which would essentially be a dud, clanbomb, and all those things that she could pull out too with varying chances.
ha, when i was young when i played the game for the first time, i thought the shuriken(ninja star) was a pinwheel.
and i also was thinking about the clanpot for her moveset but the clancer seemed more reasonable at the time.

That's twisted...but not something surprising:

Marina(throwing a pulled-out clancer at Mario): Get him!
Clancer(being thrown): Aghhhhhhhhhh!!
Mario: Whoa!!! Mama-Mia!!

If she is playable, I just hope she'll be a fun character!
With moves like her own, she WILL be a fun character!

1ofMany_ppl

Smash Apprentice
I always pictured her using her clanpot as a defense kinda like G&W's bucket except it wouldn't have a limit. Though I guess that would be too similar. Though I can see her up B and Side B just be the little jet boost she has. Though I never could figure out what her normal B move to be....maybe randomly pull out whatever she has caught in her clanpot? Might work.

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
I always pictured her using her clanpot as a defense kinda like G&W's bucket except it wouldn't have a limit. Though I guess that would be too similar. Though I can see her up B and Side B just be the little jet boost she has. Though I never could figure out what her normal B move to be....maybe randomly pull out whatever she has caught in her clanpot? Might work.
That actually sounds like an interesting idea for the clanpot. Perhaps she could, like you've said, catch projectiles etc in it infinitely, or [random thought] choose to shake those for a few seconds to turn it into a gem like she could in the games for a heal. I mean, considering you have to catch the projectile and then use up time standing there and shaking it for a few seconds, it'd be a fair trade-off for a heal right, instead of an oil spill like G&W? Just a thought on making it different from him.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wish I played this game. :( I never owned an N64.. so I hope this game comes out for the VC.

It looks really fun, and Marina reminds me in two ways to a character from a dear anime that I watched when I was just getting into it. :p

Also.. she could be a match to Megaman. And maybe Lucas too. Cyborg girl vs Psychic boy FTW.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
And what anime series would that be, pray tell?
The character designs looks awfully a lot like the artist who drew Saber Marionette J (the anime dear to me) also drew one called Cyber Team in Akihabara.

The second reason why she reminds me of this series is... cause there's a Marionette (read as, android) called Marine. Who oddly enough has green hair. But doesn't quite look like her.

"Lime" from Saber Marionette J is an android girl.

Extra note:
The armor Marina wears resembles a lot to the armors used by the generic Gartland Saber Dolls. I doubt anyone here knows of this anime..

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know, when you said Marina reminded you of an anime, I thought you were talking about Saber Marionette J.
lol

Wow, so there are more people that know of SMJ?

Maybe that's why I feel so attached to Marina. XD Perhaps she was designed by the same guy who drew SMJ. =)

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
Well the Saber Marionette girls do look like Marina; but maybe it is just a coincidence.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well the Saber Marionette girls do look like Marina; but maybe it is just a coincidence.
Heh.. it'd be awesome, but you're right. It is just a coincidence. :p

That doesn't stop them from looking like Marina, though. :D

But it'd be too good to be true, if Marina makes it in.. :/ I thought I heard Marina's rights belonged to Nintendo now... if anything, I thought I heard this rumor around these boards..

BTW, that video was awesome XD Made me laugh a bit. :)

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
Marina also does remind me of another catgirl android named Nuku Nuku or something like that.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Heh.. it'd be awesome, but you're right. It is just a coincidence. :p

That doesn't stop them from looking like Marina, though. :D

But it'd be too good to be true, if Marina makes it in.. :/ I thought I heard Marina's rights belonged to Nintendo now... if anything, I thought I heard this rumor around these boards..

BTW, that video was awesome XD Made me laugh a bit. :)
Supposedly, she belongs to Treasure and Square Enix.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Supposedly, she belongs to Treasure and Square Enix.
If thats the case I would think that it would be "Treasure/ S-E and Nintendo" Seeing as S-E only Published it in Japan well nintendo did the exact same thing for the rest of the world without S-E.

Really, this is pretty complated. . . lets hope for the best;)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
*KumaOso sings Pollyanna to get shinhed-echi back into spirits.*

Cless

Smash Champion
I'm saying she belongs to Nintendo unless I see hard evidence otherwise.

Nuku Nuku is too human looking and catlike to be like Marina. Saber Marionette J is a much better comparison.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
+
Kumaoso's Pollyanna song
QUOTE]

*back on his feet*

So there is some hope. :D And not only that, we're talking about Sakurai!

He is a very unpredictable guy.. I too hope for the best. :D

Marina is one of my new Top 10 supports.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Nuku Nuku is too human looking and catlike to be like Marina. Saber Marionette J is a much better comparison.
She doesn't belong to Nintendo. She appeared in a fighting game on the PS1 but it wasn't on the market for long due to some legal issues involving Enix and Treasure.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
We really don't know. Considering that the PS1 game was pulled off shelves for legal reasons, we might be able to determine her status.

Can someone e-mail Square Enix? I wish we could e-mail Treasure but I don't think there's an English site for them. At least then, we might get someone regarding who owns her. For all we know, Square Enix may only the game, not the characters.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I really doubt Square/Enix has any rights to Marina. They published the game, they didn't co-produce it.

I really wish someone could clarify things... if only Treasure had a website in English...

But until I get certain clarification, I stand by my theory that she's owned by Treasure.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's the most likely thing. I'll go ahead and e-mail Square Enix about her ownership status.

Black/Light

Smash Master
IDK, that fighting game was pretty low radar and we know SOMETHING legal shut them down so maybe it had something to do with their use of marina.

But I will stick with my assumptions that if S&P can get a AT than MM can get a PC-AT.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
On a side note, I've been looking at the GameFAQs entry for Rakugaki Showtime.

Wow. That game is PURE CRACK. Think Smash Bros. with Parappa The Rapper designs.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It'd be kind of a good thing if it involved Marina depending on what the end result was.

I'm having a little trouble finding the e-mail address for Square Enix on their website. Can someone find it for me?

BTW, I want to be formal in asking for her ownership status. I want you guys to see where I can improve this letter.

Dear Square Enix,

A number of people, including myself, are fans of the Treasure developed game, Mischief Makers. Recently, we've been concerned as to who owns the rights the characters such as Marina and the game as a whole. The reason is that Treasure developed the game, you published it in Japan, and Nintendo published it everywhere else. Also, we would like to see Marina in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and we want to realistic in terms of her liklihood of being in the game.

In advance, I thank you for your time in reading this e-mail.

Sincerely,
<name withheld>

Cless

Smash Champion
IDK, that fighting game was pretty low radar and we know SOMETHING legal shut them down so maybe it had something to do with their use of marina.

But I will stick with my assumptions that if S&P can get a AT than MM can get a PC-AT.
Yeah, that's what I'm going with. I like clinging to false hope.

cwal37

Smash Rookie
It'd be kind of a good thing if it involved Marina depending on what the end result was.

I'm having a little trouble finding the e-mail address for Square Enix on their website. Can someone find it for me?

BTW, I want to be formal in asking for her ownership status. I want you guys to see where I can improve this letter.

Dear Square Enix,

A number of people, including myself, are fans of the Treasure developed game, Mischief Makers. Recently, we've been concerned as to who owns the rights the characters such as Marina and the game as a whole. The reason is that Treasure developed the game, you published it in Japan, and Nintendo published it everywhere else. Also, we would like to see Marina in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and we want to be realistic in terms of her likelihood of being in the game.

In advance, I thank you for your time in reading this e-mail.

Sincerely,
<name withheld>
I added a "be" and fixed likelihood.

EDIT: also, this site has some addresses, but I'm not sure if any of them would be right.
http://www.square-enix.com/na/support/live/

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
On a side note, I've been looking at the GameFAQs entry for Rakugaki Showtime.

Wow. That game is PURE CRACK. Think Smash Bros. with Parappa The Rapper designs.
No kidding, I found some videos of it on youtube and trhat game looks incredibly ridiculous (yet kickass, I want to try it despite the fact I'll never have the chance >.>). It's like Smash Bros in 3 dimensions with 2D graphics in a storybook and, like you said, on pure crack. Well I guess it isn't really *like* Smash Bros. but it still looks bloody awesome. Nice to see Marina in action again as well! :chuckle:

Gameplay Video with Marina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8M_Wr9R91I

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It looks like it could easily be a Mischief Makers sequel. BTW, do you guys like her Japanese or English voice more?

Cless

Smash Champion
That games doesn't look like that much fun. It just looks like throwing stuff at people. I'd still try it, but it's not at the top of my to do list.

Jester_Katz

Smash Cadet
It looks like it could easily be a Mischief Makers sequel. BTW, do you guys like her Japanese or English voice more?
I've never heard her Japan voice, so I personally can't won't say anything until I hear a sample or two.

Top Bottom