• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marina Liteyears for SSBB *Updated Moveset*

Cless

Smash Champion
Her Japanese voice is in the video up above.

I like the actual voice in Japanese better, but the English quotes are so epic. I can't decide.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
On a side note, I've been looking at the GameFAQs entry for Rakugaki Showtime.

Wow. That game is PURE CRACK. Think Smash Bros. with Parappa The Rapper designs.

No kidding, I found some videos of it on youtube and trhat game looks incredibly ridiculous (yet kickass, I want to try it despite the fact I'll never have the chance >.>). It's like Smash Bros in 3 dimensions with 2D graphics in a storybook and, like you said, on pure crack. Well I guess it isn't really *like* Smash Bros. but it still looks bloody awesome. Nice to see Marina in action again as well! :chuckle:

Gameplay Video with Marina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8M_Wr9R91I
O_O

More info on this game, please.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Fond this info on a Treasure fan-site.

http://sfkosmo.classicgaming.gamespy.com/treasure/games/yukeyuke/mischiefmakers.html

"It can be said that the plan for Treasure's 8th game, Mischief Makers, was to make sure it was different from Treasure's previous efforts. Trying to distance themselves away from multiplayer action games like Gunstar Heroes or Guardian Heroes, they wanted a slower paced game (even more so than Dynamite Headdy) that could only be played with one player.

Enix was up for the job of publishing Yuke Yuke!! Troublemakers (Mischief Makers Japanese name, which translates to Go Go! Troublemakers) because, frankly, they wanted a few action games under their belt and it was something to do between delay announcements for Dragon Quest VII. Yuke Yuke!! was released on June 26th, 1997 and wouldn't mark the last time Enix and Treasure would work together (their next collaboration would be Rakugaki Showtime for the PlayStation). Nintendo was quick to snap up US localizing rights to appeal to the increasing kiddie market that the Nintendo now pretty much has a stranglehold over (except for a few NewKidCo. offerings here and there). Originally slated for an October released, the game was actually pushed up to September 29th...but then it was delayed back to October 1st. Oh, well.

Reviews for the game were mediocre. The general consensus was that the game was "good" or "decent" but could've been better, a contrast to the stellar reviews Treasure games (besides Light Crusader and McDonald's TreasureLand Adventure) had received hitherto. Despite the reviews, this was quite possibly Treasure's most successful American release ever as game-hungry N64 fans snapped copies up quickly and was quite popular on the rental charts. Hopefully, they appreciated the offering as this would prove to be the last Treasure game to see American shores for nearly two years."

Sounds interesting. Maybe Nintendo owns the rights to it out-side of Japan? IDK, this sounds odd.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Her Japanese voice is in the video up above.

I like the actual voice in Japanese better, but the English quotes are so epic. I can't decide.
I like her English voice more but that may be because I'm so used to it. The English seems to fit the body more than the high-pitched voice when you try to imagine her voice in scenes of dialog.

Also, I sent the e-mail to them.

omega_ridley_X

Smash Apprentice
The fiery pits of Norfair, home of RIDLEY!!!
I like her English voice more but that may be because I'm so used to it. The English seems to fit the body more than the high-pitched voice when you try to imagine her voice in scenes of dialog.

Also, I sent the e-mail to them.
yeah, i liked her english voice more, and post their reply here when you get it. i'd better like their reply.*crosses fingers*

Cless

Smash Champion
I dunno, it sounds like with Tales of Symphonia where Nintendo had the localizing rights, but not the rights to the game content.

Well, with voices, generally the one you hear first is the one you like more unless one of the other is absolutely terrible.

Cless

Smash Champion
Hmm, it looks like Nintendo really had nothing to do with Mischief Makers other than localizing it and providing the hardware.

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, it looks like Nintendo really had nothing to do with Mischief Makers other than localizing it and providing the hardware.
Certainly doesn't help Marina's chances then :ohwell: I'll still be interested to see what Square Enix has to say, if anything, though. At least it'll hopefully help to clarify what we may or may not already know.

Jester_Katz

Smash Cadet
All right, so Marina's third-party, so are Sonic and Snake, doesn't mean she can't be on SSBB.

if there's anyone who says otherwise, I'll just put my fingers in my ears, and go LAAALAAA!!! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! LAALAAA!!!!

And I think it's only fair to warn you: my voice has been known to break even the laws of physics.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
If Marina makes it, you know what I would love to see?

Those character panels filling up the screen when you beat a level, except with the Smash roster. It could be used in SSE if there's a Marina-centered level.

It'll be awesome and you know it :D

omega_ridley_X

Smash Apprentice
The fiery pits of Norfair, home of RIDLEY!!!
All right, so Marina's third-party, so are Sonic and Snake, doesn't mean she can't be on SSBB.

if there's anyone who says otherwise, I'll just put my fingers in my ears, and go LAAALAAA!!! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! LAALAAA!!!!

And I think it's only fair to warn you: my voice has been known to break even the laws of physics.
heck yes,

Those character panels filling up the screen when you beat a level, except with the Smash roster. It could be used in SSE if there's a Marina-centered level.

heck yes,

I just wanna see Marina Kirby... ToT
and more heck yes!

1ofMany_ppl

Smash Apprentice
Certainly doesn't help Marina's chances then :ohwell: I'll still be interested to see what Square Enix has to say, if anything, though. At least it'll hopefully help to clarify what we may or may not already know.
It doesn't help her chances but really I mean how hard would it be for Nintendo to actually acquire the rights to use Marina? Shouldn't be too hard considering they helped with the publishing of the game and she hasn't really been used in any games for what...5, 6 years? She isn't like megaman who is VERY popular and is still running strong so I'm sure Nintindo wouldn't have too much of a struggle to get her in. I mean they could get square enix ( if thats who shes owned by) to let them use her to get her popularity back up so they can make more games with her. You may ask "well isn't it the same scenario for Geno?" NO. Geno did not have his OWN GAME he is just really popular for some odd reason... Really the only thing that worries me is the supposed Icon theory where they know all but 2 of the icons and people are pretty sure of the other 2, Megaman and G&W which if the icon theory is true Marina couldn't be in because she would need her own icon....I'm really hoping the icon thing is flase though or atleast doesn't show secret character icons.

That aside I thought of another taunt for Marina if she does get in. In Mischief Makers if you just stand in a stage for awhile she begins to dance a little and hum music I believe.

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't help her chances but really I mean how hard would it be for Nintendo to actually acquire the rights to use Marina? Shouldn't be too hard considering they helped with the publishing of the game and she hasn't really been used in any games for what...5, 6 years? She isn't like megaman who is VERY popular and is still running strong so I'm sure Nintindo wouldn't have too much of a struggle to get her in. I mean they could get square enix ( if thats who shes owned by) to let them use her to get her popularity back up so they can make more games with her. You may ask "well isn't it the same scenario for Geno?" NO. Geno did not have his OWN GAME he is just really popular for some odd reason... Really the only thing that worries me is the supposed Icon theory where they know all but 2 of the icons and people are pretty sure of the other 2, Megaman and G&W which if the icon theory is true Marina couldn't be in because she would need her own icon....I'm really hoping the icon thing is flase though or atleast doesn't show secret character icons.

That aside I thought of another taunt for Marina if she does get in. In Mischief Makers if you just stand in a stage for awhile she begins to dance a little and hum music I believe.
That icon theory is seriously flawed. I don't see why people think that the highest icon we've seen *so far* is the absolute maximum it will be. Before the DS icon they thought the max was less and anything over was ridiculous and "not possible". But then the DS icon comes waltzing in and suddenly that's the "maximum". :p We have no idea how many series will be represented, despite the fact that there's little to no logic behind the ordering of that thing anymore. If Marina needs an icon she'll bloody well get one, haha. :chuckle:

While we're on the subject - any ideas of what Marina's icon could be? At a quick guess I'd probably go with a standard Clan-ball or Clan-block face, for lack of a better idea.

YES! YES! YES! Best. Idea. Ever.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, I got a reply.

Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX Customer Support,

We hope this letter answers your questions.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We regret to inform you that we do not have any kind of access to any of the information you have requested at this time. Nor do we have any information on what other resources might have that information. You can get updated information on our latest & upcoming releases from the "Latest News" portion of our website, www.square-enix.com.

We hope this information has been of assistance.

Thanks,
Neil- SQUARE ENIX Customer Support
www.square-enix.com
This can mean one of two things:

1. Enix only published and has no ownership of the game.
2. It's another Geno issue.

Let's hope it's the first one.

Jester_Katz

Smash Cadet
Whatever character(s) a company makes belongs to that company. In this case, Treasure created Marina, Thus, Marina belongs to Treasure. I can't say how it works with publishing...but I don't think the ownership changes.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Whatever character(s) a company makes belongs to that company. In this case, Treasure created Marina, Thus, Marina belongs to Treasure. I can't say how it works with publishing...but I don't think the ownership changes.
I believe publishers just distribute the game and do the advertising.

Cless

Smash Champion
Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

Sorry that our response was not clear. The characters in the Super Smash Bros game are not all the property of Nintendo. They generally remain the property of the company that originally created them. While Geno and Mallow originally appeared in a game that was marketed by Nintendo, the title was designed and programmed by Square Soft. Geno and Mallow would still remain as the intellectual property of Square-Enix (the current name). Unfortunately, we have not heard any information that would support any rumors of Nintendo acquiring these characters.

Thanks for your email and good luck with all your games!

That's the email in the Geno thread.

Jester_Katz

Smash Cadet
There, see? regardless of who publishes it, the characters belong to the developers, which makes Marina strictly third-party...and if she is third-party, I'd say there's is bigger chance of her being playable rather an Assist Trophy. Because, well, why make a guest star an AT?

Cless

Smash Champion
Yeah, well, following that logic, Saki would belong to Treasure as well, which would mean that Nintendo negotiated for an AT. Either that or Treasure really doesn't care that much.

Jester_Katz

Smash Cadet
oh...I didn't know Sin & Punishment was made by Treasure...well hell, I dunno then!:dizzy:

...were you being sarcastic?

Cless

Smash Champion
No, I was being serious. That's why I said that either Nintendo negotiated for an AT or Treasure didn't care that much, or, for some reason, Treasure left Nintendo with the ownership rights to Sin and Punishment.

Jester_Katz

Smash Cadet
Ah...it's hard to tell in text.

All three sound plausible...if the latter is true, then that would make Saki a first-party character tho.

1ofMany_ppl

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it would affect her chances at all.

I mean they have already shown 2 AT's from treasures games. (Saki, Stafy) I still stand by my theory that Mischief Makers was one of the best selling titles making it more sensible to use her as a PC....I mean out of a franchise they want the most popular character don't they? You might say "Well wasn't Saki and Stafy on Sakurai's poll? That might be the only reason they are in this game " Yes, but I believe that some characters Sakurai decided to put in on his on accord and Marina is one of them along with some other select few. The poll don't believe decided who would be an unlockable character and who wouldn't I think It was he had some spots to fill in certain areas and wanted to know what the people wanted to see.

Jester_Katz

Smash Cadet
Well, Saki's profile in the website did say: "...After all, this game does let you enjoy a dream cast of supporting characters!"

It sounds like there will be more ATs the playable characters...But I think Marina would be a playable character, just because she would make a qurky fighter.

BTW 1ofMany_ppl, love the sig!;)

Cless

Smash Champion
Yeah, Densetsu no Stafy (which is the correct romanization for anyone who says otherwise) is developed by TOSE. Both Nintendo and TOSE hold the copyright to the games.

Also, I don't think Mischief Makers sold all that well. I mean, it sold copies, but not like huge amounts. That's why it's a cult hit in America. If Treasure wanted to use their most popular game, they'd probably use the dudes from Gunstar Heroes.

Also, the characters on the poll (which really isn't a poll) show the characters that Sakurai is interested in. I mean, maybe he'll still have a Marina AT or something

1ofMany_ppl

Smash Apprentice
Also, I don't think Mischief Makers sold all that well. I mean, it sold copies, but not like huge amounts. That's why it's a cult hit in America. If Treasure wanted to use their most popular game, they'd probably use the dudes from Gunstar Heroes.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Treasure is a Japanese video game developer, founded by former employees of Konami on June 19, 1992.[1] Treasure is best known for classic-style action games that employ innovative gameplay systems. Their greatest commercial successes have been games like Wario World and Mischief Makers, but they are better known for their critical successes, such as Gunstar Heroes, Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, and Bangai-O.

Mischief Makers was still well known and it's also nice to note that (according to wikipedia) Gunstar Heroes was published by sega, the other 3 were also not published by nintendo, though (according to wikipedia) Mischief Makers, along with Sin and Punishment were published by Nintendo. Though it does worry me that Gunstar Heroes has a game on the Wii....BUT, also on PS2 which helps to show sega is still interested with them and would be more hesitant to let nintendo use a character from Gunstar Hereos. With that theory I'm hoping Nintendo decides to use the most popular character of Treasures where Nintendo was involved in the making of it. Hopefully they pick Marina.

Also, the characters on the poll (which really isn't a poll) show the characters that Sakurai is interested in. I mean, maybe he'll still have a Marina AT or something
Heres hoping that "something" is a WTF unlockable character.

BTW 1ofMany_ppl, love the sig!;)
Thanks, you can use it too if you want.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't think it would affect her chances at all.

I mean they have already shown 2 AT's from treasures games. (Saki, Stafy) I still stand by my theory that Mischief Makers was one of the best selling titles making it more sensible to use her as a PC....I mean out of a franchise they want the most popular character don't they? You might say "Well wasn't Saki and Stafy on Sakurai's poll? That might be the only reason they are in this game " Yes, but I believe that some characters Sakurai decided to put in on his on accord and Marina is one of them along with some other select few. The poll don't believe decided who would be an unlockable character and who wouldn't I think It was he had some spots to fill in certain areas and wanted to know what the people wanted to see.
Saki was never on the poll, oddly enough.

Saki doesn't affect her chances because Treasure is not in the copyrights at the bottom.

Jester_Katz

Smash Cadet
Hmm...well, either Nintendo neglected to, which would be both unlikely, and could get them in trouble, or Treasure did indeed give Nintendo Sin and Punishment...or Treasure just doesn't care. :ohwell:

Top Bottom