• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marina Liteyears for SSBB *Updated Moveset*

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Okay, good. I also want to understand this. Assuming I read the katakana right, Sega only has the copyrights to the original Guardian Heroes, right?

There's still hope for the Intergalactic Cybot-G, Marina!

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Enix may have originally co-published the game but it doesn't mean they hold rights to Marina herself. It's kinda how Rare co-developed the DKC series, yet Nintendo fully owns Diddy Kong.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's true. Although, didn't Nintendo buy Diddy and co. during the sell out?

Black/Light

Smash Master
is marina officially owned by nintendo or is she considered 3rd party?
I have no idea what her status is as of now. If TREASURE owns the rights to S&P than by all means I would think it to be odd for S&P to have a AT in brawl yet that happened. . .if they own Marina than IDK how she is seen in terms of "party placement".

And S/E only published the game in Japan. Nintendo published it everywhere else just to let that be known.

Really, Im just hoping that Sakurai sees her as the unique cult classic 64 character she is and decides to put her in based on that (and maybe to provok a comeback).

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
That's true. Although, didn't Nintendo buy Diddy and co. during the sell out?
I'm not 100% sure but I think they did. I think they sort of allowed Rare to keep full ownership of Banjo and Conker as long as Nintendo got all the Kongs, or atleast Diddy, as well as Krystal from Adventures, right? I *think* that's how the story goes.

Anyway I guess it is sort of hard to tell what statues Marina actually holds but from the sounds of it logic seems to dictate Enix won't be in the way, hopefully. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Black/Light

Smash Master
OK, I did a Wii-bit of research. . .turns out that S&P is, much like MM, made by TREASURE and published by Nintendo. We know for a fact that S&P will not get a char in brawl seeing as their main character is reported to be a AT.

Color me a glass-half-full fool but I personally think that this more so makes Marina look alot more likely to be a "1st/ 2nd party" character than a 3rd. IDK how this works but, like I said, I would find it own for a S&P character to be a AT if said character is a 3rd party like say Prince from PoP.

I will hold on to hope of Marina. . . every lil scrap helps:p
At the very least we know for a fact that at least one of TREASURE's made characters is going to show up in brawl proving that they have SOME connection to smash.
I hope for them to get a character rep in the form of Marina. . . well, thats all I can say.;)

PS, anyone read that "smash it up" Ign thing about Marina? Pretty interesting. . .
http://wii.ign.com/articles/820/820254p1.html

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
<snip>

PS, anyone read that "smash it up" Ign thing about Marina? Pretty interesting. . .
http://wii.ign.com/articles/820/820254p1.html

</snip>
Yeah I read that awhile back. I usually just read it to see if there are any oddball characters I hadn't heard of/thought of, although a lot of the time some of their predictions can be waaaaay off >.< But yeah, it's a pity they didn't even personally consider her at first, and that the fans had to comment on her absence from the previous post :p

One thing that bugged me about their description of her was that it barely seems like they haven't even played the games (which may or may not be true). I mean sure a lot of her moves revolve around grabbing, but there is so much more that could be incorporated into her moveset as we've seen by some of the examples in this thread.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I sent Nintendo an e-mail asking for Marina's Copyright condition. If I get a reply, you guys will be the first to know.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's good to hear. If someone gets the chance, could you ask about Saki's copyright status?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I loved her original voice. IT worked perfectly. It's better than the original Japanese one, IMO.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Well, I got a reply from Nintendo. It doesn't reveal much, but fortunately, it doesn't crush any hope either:

Nintendo Representative said:
Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

To tell you the truth, I don’t know who owns the copyright for Mischief Makers characters. Also, I don’t know if Marina will become part of the cast of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Although we don’t know the final lineup yet, it may interest you to learn that the game has a new official release date: February 10, 2008.

For future reference, our website's Game List (www.nintendo.com/gamelist) represents the best place to find the most accurate release dates and official news & information. Once there, click "Show advanced filtering" and use the dropdown menus to narrow your search based on system, publisher, number of players, etc.

When you have filtered your search, click on the game's title to see all the available information. If what you seek is not yet available, please check back later. When there is new information to share on announced games or other upcoming products, our website is the best official source!

You might also want to monitor the Super Smash Bros. Brawl web site at www.smashbros.com for the latest official news about the game.

Remember, any posted release dates are estimates and subject to change. As a product's estimated release date approaches, you may wish to check with your local retailers to see when it may be available in your area.

By the way, while you are at our site, be sure to check out the My Nintendo section. This exciting program allows you to check on the status of a subscription, part order or repair order, as well as register your games and systems! Take a look. I think that you will find it helpful.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
I followed those tips and checked the MM entry at the Nintendo website here. Notice they list Treasure as the sole developer and Nintendo as the sole publisher. No mention of Enix anywhere. That is a good indication, in any case.

EDIT: I'm curious to know if that by "We don't know the final lineup yet" he meant that the final roster has been chosen entirely but not made public, or that there are still open spots to be filled in the roster.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Let's hope this is a positive sign. If anything, maybe Treasure owns the characters but Enix/Nintendo have the rights to the game.

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
That could seem pretty logical, and hopefully it's the case. One thing though, how did the reply somehow turn back into a discussion of release dates? Was that in the initial question you sent or was he trying to redirect the conversation to something that he knew about? :p

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
All I asked was for Marina's copyright condition and her chances in Brawl. Everything else was something him changing the subject.

I really appreciate he responded though. It seems Nintendo really answers to every e-mail.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
it seems the guy didnt know the situation well enough to answer you. but he did tell you some useful places to check if she is in the game.(that is if she is announced).

Veysey

Smash Cadet
While I don't believe her chances are great... or even good... I would absolutely love to see Marina as a playable character. Actually, I would likely make a point to main her.

Heres hoping she AT LEAST gets an AT =/

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
While I don't believe her chances are great... or even good... I would absolutely love to see Marina as a playable character. Actually, I would likely make a point to main her.

Heres hoping she AT LEAST gets an AT =/
Speaking of AT's, wasn't that Saki fellow from Sin And Punishment made an AT? And wasn't Sin and Punishment developed by Treasure? I've seen him confirmed in a couple of videos and on Gimpy's impressions. Boosts Marina's chances a bit, don't you think?

Arteen

Smash Lord
I followed those tips and checked the MM entry at the Nintendo website here. Notice they list Treasure as the sole developer and Nintendo as the sole publisher. No mention of Enix anywhere. That is a good indication, in any case.
Indeed, along with Saki's inclusion, that is a good sign. I hope that Mischief Makers gets any kind of representation in Brawl, but of course I would most like her to be playable.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm going to check Sin and Punishment's credits on characters and everything to see how well Marina's chances are. If anyone has the chance, go check the credits of Mischief Makers.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If only Nintendo owned Treasure... if only... Just one of those great games out there that never got the sequel they deserved. The fact that Treasure is already being represented by a Sin and Punishment AT increases her chances of appearing as maybe a trophy or sticker but consideribly lowers her chances of becoming an AT. That reminds me, I wonder if Ubisoft is going to play a hand in this game and perhaps offer Beyond Good and Evil characters as trophies or ATs...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I doubt it. The Japanese studios are more likely to get any reps in.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I'm going to check Sin and Punishment's credits on characters and everything to see how well Marina's chances are. If anyone has the chance, go check the credits of Mischief Makers.
*Sigh*

I can't find the credits for Mischief Makers.:ohwell:

But, they both say Published by Nintendo and deviloped by Treasure so Im assuming that they are both the same in that respect. So if S&P can get a AT than Im sure that nothing party related (party placement wise) is stopping Marina from being a normal character.

There for I think Marina is just a normal char party wise (as in not 3rd party like, say, Crono for example). But who knows, all I have to go off of is S&P having a AT. . .which would be odd if S&P was 3rd party like Snake or Sonic.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, I checked Sin and Punishment's credits. It just says copyright Nintendo. It doesn't specify if they own the characters, music, scenario, etc. or not.

Veysey

Smash Cadet
Don't forget that Treasure has shown a lot of support towards the Wii. They've had a lot of past titles re-released on the VC as well as working on that "secret wii title" ... They have their S&P character appearing in Brawl (the game was JUST released on VC a few weeks ago and before had never been exposed to NA)... Also consider the fact that their early stuff was with Sega (Not Nintendo, so those characters stand little chance if any) and a lot of their recent stuff has been licensed characters (Bleach/Astro Boy for example) I think the chances of seeing characters from Mischief Makers is actually very likely no matter what the form they come in. The doubt comes as a playable character and/or AT.

Also, I'm pretty sure Enix published in Japan whereas Nintendo published everywhere else?

And :
Sakurai said:
Assist Trophies allow you to enjoy even more characters who couldn’t quite make it as playable fighters. You may even see some that only the most dedicated fans will recognize, so you’ll have to look forward to them.
Treasure seems to attract those 'cult followings' with their games. Seriously, I'd say Treasure fans fits his description pretty good.

I guess only time will tell. But there is still hope in my eyes.

Arteen

Smash Lord
You brought up a lot of good points. It doesn't seem that unlikely to see another Treasure character appear in the game. Here's hoping that Marina appears in some significant form in Brawl!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Alright gang, to kick off the Marina for Brawl club, there is going to be a vote for the official name for the club, but first I'm going to need a few more name suggestions. Here's what's available to choose from so far:

"Shake Shake!"
"Makin' Mischief"
"Marina's Clancers"
"The Mischief Club"

Also, some basic rules need to be in place, not that there's any problems so far, but it will help in case any new members get out of hand. Currently, only the two cardinal rules of SWF clubs really apply:

1. No flaming, especially in other character threads. All disputes regarding Marina are to remain in this thread only.

2. No spamming. The #1 problem in many established clubs, mainly for the purpose of increasing post counts and thread views.

If anyone's got any suggestions as far as guidelines go, please feel free to post them in this thread or PM me. I could also use some help in reformatting the front page. I won't have any real free time until the middle of December, so anything you feel would be good for the first post, please let me know.

Well, that's all for the time being. I am looking forward to your input. Thanks again. :)

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
Hummm, I like all of them outside of "Marina's Clancers". I will vote later;)
Yeah I'd have to agree with that. "Marina's Clancers" sounded a bit odd, but I don't mind any of the others. If I had to vote for just one I've go for "Shake! Shake!" considering it's the most unique, if not vague :p

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
The choices aren't final guys. Those were just ideas that I received thus far, along with one or two of my own. "Marina's Clancers" doesn't seem to be very popular, but it just gave me the idea for the "Clancer Crew". Gotta admit that's a winner. :p

Anyways, please feel more than free to post or PM your own suggestion(s) for the support group name.

Top Bottom