• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marina Liteyears for SSBB *Updated Moveset*

Jededi4h

Smash Cadet

Entrance: Marina jets in, yelling "STOOOOP!!!"

Woah! I had totally forgotten about this game, and it's overwhelming awesomeness. I know it's almost an impossibility but Marina would be one welcome addition to Smash.

Even if it's unlikely at least Marina is now at the top of my list of Impossible to Gut, but Highly Wanted 3rd Party Characters. (Take that Billy Hatcher)

Taunt: Spins around and shouts “Yahoo!”

Black/Light

Smash Master
Man, this is like my personal most wanted non-nintendo character! I hope they try to remake it for the wii (there needs to be more 2d console games!)or atleast make it VC.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Is there any official moveset for Marina? If not, I could try my hand at it.

While I lwould seriously LOVE to see her in this game since she would be really unique, Sonic and Megaman overshadow her for 3rd Party popularity.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
YES. Simply YES.

I loved this game, it is still probably in my top 10 games of all time.

The only thing I'd have to agree with is her light weight. In the actual game, she gets off the ground pretty slowly. I would compare her weight to link, pretty much.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
A big YES on Marina for Brawl. MM was an awesome game and she'll fit in perfectly. I know the chances are slim, but I can dream, can I?

And I still love playing MM. This game has some of the best boss designs ever. Heck, now that I think of it, Phoenix Gamma would be an awesome boss on story mode on Brawl.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Interesting. . .

Theres a Sin and Punishment AT. . . and Sin and Punishment was, much like MM, deved by Treasure for the 64. Does Nintendo own these characters? If so than Im abit more hopeful for Marina.

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. . .

Theres a Sin and Punishment AT. . . and Sin and Punishment was, much like MM, deved by Treasure for the 64. Does Nintendo own these characters? If so than Im abit more hopeful for Marina.
Where was this confirmed? I haven't heard or seen it in any of the videos that I've seen. Link please? I just want to witness it myself, gives me a bit more hope for good ol' Marina :grin:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
http://www.destructoid.com/hands-on-with-super-smash-bros-brawl-48983.phtml

No trailer, but someone who played the demo of the game confirmed in fact a S&P AT.

I'm hoping for Marina more than ever now.
Well that's good to know. I really hope they didn't get it mixed up with another character though, considering they didn't know the name of any of the Pokemon, although it's more acceptable with Pokemon since there's over 400 and each generation gets less memorable :laugh: Atleast this gives a bit more hope for Marina :grin: especially since Sakurai seems to like including a few obscure and oddball characters, like the Ice Climbers for one (who I love anyway ^_^).

Eggman

Smash Apprentice
Oh my God, I thought I was the only person alive that wanted her for Brawl, but now I think I found a new home. I would be fighting with her against my friends and scream "HELP ME MARINA!!!" and laugh to myself while all my friends stared at me.

Conformal_Invariance

Smash Journeyman
On the border of Westminster and Arvada, CO, in a
I dunno!

Who knows... Treasure had a hand in Brawl, they let Nintendo use that character from Sin and Punishment!

I even made a moveset/data thing:

Power: 5/5 - Marina is strong enough to intercept missiles, catch plasma and block blows from creatures more than ten times her size.

Speed: 3/5 - Marina's boosters scoot her frame along nicely. However, she is incapable of dashing - she instead shoots forward a bit on her boosters.

Gravity: 5/5 - Marina is also... very heavy. She does not float well.

Jump: 2/5 - Marina's actual jumping is not that good.

A - A single punch, Marina scoots forward slightly when she does.

A, A - Marina follows up that punch by turning her body and throwing her other fist out, scooting her forward more.

A, A, A - Marina ends the one-two punch with an overhead slam with both fists.

-

Ftilt: A small uppercut.
Dtilt: A jab with her leg, similar to Ness.
Utilt: A small, jumping uppercut above her.

-

Grab attack: Marina shakes the opponent while saying "SHAKE SHAKE". The longer the opponent lets Marina shake, the harder it is to escape.
Upthrow - Marina slams the opponent down, then flings them up into the air.
Fthrow - Marina does her "Doctor Throw", practiced on her creator many a time.
Dthrow - Marina throws the opponent down, then slams her fist into their gut.
Bthrow - Much like Fthrow, only one-armed, and she flings them as if she were a pitcher.

-

B+Up: Rocket Rise - Marina summons Clancecat riding on the missile, and hops onto Clancecat in turn, rising upwards. Marina can hop off the missile at any time, and the missile does Link bomb-damage.

Side+B: Clancecatch - Marina grabs out in front of her. This move can be used in midair, and has slightly less range than her grab. Marina will automatically intercept any item(and some specials) thrown at her, including Samus' missiles, Charge Beam, Fox's Laser, Falcon's Falcon Punch, DK's Giant Swing... It does however, have terrible ending lag - it is not a good idea to chain Clancecatch. This lag is nullified if Marina catches something.

Special Note - After catching an item, Marina can SHAKE SHAKE the item, causing it to grow bigger, stronger. This also applies to Samus' missiles and Charge Beam, but does not work on all items.

Down+B: Booster Skate - Marina puts her boosters on auto for a few seconds, hovering a little off the ground, capable of moving at dash speeds and attacking as if she were on the ground. This can be used in midair to increase her horizontal MOMENTUM, rather than boostering back to the stage. Marina can cancel the Booster Skate by pressing Down at any time.

Neutral+B: Fist of the North Clancer - Marina releases a flurry of punches in front of her with both arms, blurring with speed. This move anchors Marina to the ground, minimizing knockback - however, the damage of the punches is minimal and contain little knockback, and Marina cannot turn around, with bad ending lag.

-

Final Smash: I agree with the Beastector idea, but I don't think it should last as long... here's how I see it going on in my mind.

Marina yells "STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!" As the screen darkens. Merco, Tarus, and Lunar say their catchphrases while the Beastector assembles in the background, then it releases it's V-Beam from the chest. Anyone caught in this beam suffers no knockback, but extremely rapid percentage increase. Lasts about 8 seconds or so.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Nobody is more underappericated than Marina F***ing Liteyears. Not only does she need to be in Brawl, she needs a sequel. A big sequel. :mad:NOW:mad:

And she'd totally work for Brawl for more than one reason:
1) Who wouldn't want to play as her?
2) Brawl doesn't have a signifcant grappler character. Well, D.K.'s got that carrying move, but that's about it.
3) Female character. Awesome female character.
4) You might just be able to bludgeon people do death with Prof. Theo.

OSHA!!!(Dan Hibiki style) I'm so pumped all of a sudden that I've just come up with an analytical moveset! Here it comes!
****Attack, **Jump, ***Speed, ***Weight, ****Special Moves

A-A: Iron Jab-Iron Cross. A straight punch followed by a backhand. Decent hitstun, which helps her get close for her grabs. 5-6% Total

TiltF: Iron Fist. A slower, more powerful Iron Jab. 4-5%

TillUp: Iron Overhead. A hammer punch that covers an area overhead and in front of her. 4-5%

Tiltdown: Iron Breaker. Marina punches for the nuts. 4-5%

SmashF: Whirling Iron. Marina uses a spinning punch with both hands. Powerful with knockback, but has bad recovery and lag. 8-18%

SmashUp: Iron Upper. A powerful uppercut with similar properties to SmashF. Large hitbox. 7-17%

Smashdown: Iron Driver: Marina couches and hammerfists in front and behind at the same time. Slow, but with a big hitbox. 10-20%

Running A: Shove. Pretty much what it sounds like. Good hitstun, but has bad recovery if it misses. 4-5%

Air attacks. . .Would be her weakpoint, so lets gloss over these.

*SPECIALS*

B Neutral: Grab stance. If your enemy attacks while you're in this counter animation, Marina automatically grabs them. If she gets hit by a projectile, she'll catch that, too. She can even throw it back! However, the animation is shorter than Marth's counter. No damage (On it's own. . .).

B Down: That Tears It! Marina's temper flares up, giving her improved anti-hitstun for a short time. And heaven help you if she grabs you when she's angry. . . No Damage (Wait for it, I'm going somewhere with this. . .)

B Up: Boost Grappler. Normally, this move is pretty bad as a recovery techinique. But if it hit's an enemy, Marina will grab them and throw them behind her, not unlike a Spike, using the enemy to increase her own momentum. Kind of like Falcon Dive, but she keeps going in the same direction after it hits. 10-11%

B Forward: Rush Grappler. Marina uses her booster to charge forward with improved anti-hitstun. If she gets close to an opponent, she'll automatically go into her grab animation. Also, the hitstun resistance can be improved with BDown. No Damage.

*GRAB MOVES (Here comes the pain. . .)*

Grab-punch: Shake shake. You know you love it, since it's more powerful than any other holding punch in the game and it'll make your enemy drop any item their holding. 3-4%

Throw up: Marina grabs her victim with both hands, swings them around in a ciracle once and launches them straight up. Super range. 10-12% But if she's used That Tears It (Down B) recently. . .She swings her opponent around more than once, and if they can't struggle out in time. . .Bam! A near-gaurenteed K.O. with 20-30% damage!

Throw forward: Marina swings the enemy around once and throws them forward. If it hits another enemy or item(Like a barrel or a capsule), it does extra damage. That Tears It also boosts. 10-12%, 5-6% for anything the victim hits.

Throw Down: Marina throws her victim to the turf and pounds them with a hammerfist. It That Tears It is active, she slams them again, HARDER. Use this for massive damage, since it's harder to get out of than Up Throw. 10-12%, 20-25%

Back Throw: Marina turns around and flings her hapless victim like a catapult. Again, That Tears It increases range, damage and the amount of time spent throwing.

*FINAL SMASH*

Orbit Launch: You know what this is. A close-range attack (Not unlike Metaknight's) in which she grabs the enemy. . .But before launch, she can use the poor sap as a projectile weapon, tossing him towards all other opponents like a dodgeball for 15-25% each hit. Then, once she's had enough of that, she charges up her fury and. . .SHWOOOOOM! He goes flying into the far-distant reaches of space, not unlike a certain loosefingered professor. The background goes back to normal after the animation is over. Best of all, if she doesn't grab anyone with the initial attack, she'll just use Theo for a stand-in!

Strategy: Try and end the match quickly, because Marina's excellent ability to K.O. an opponent is outweighed by her awful recovery abilities. Relying on That Tears It as a match-opener won't work, though, because the enemy will be able to struggle out of a K.O. Throw with less than 60-90% damage, and you still take damage even if you're not stunned by it. She does better in a 4-way than a single duel, unless she's fighting something bigger and slower than she is.

Puffs

Smash Ace
I loved this game. Too bad I was never able to finish it.

"Shake-shake!" = YES.

KAFOR

Smash Apprentice
Marina Lightyears? Any relation to Buzz Lightyear? Just childplay my good friend. Seems to be a female Megaman?

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Just finshed playing beating the game again.

Brought back memories from years ago so.....

Marina 4 Brawl !

Highly doubt she'll make it but still it was a good game. Anyone know if there's a Marina 4 Brawll sig somewhere? (once like those in my sig)

shameless bump....

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Just finshed playing beating the game again.

Brought back memories from years ago so.....

Marina 4 Brawl !

Highly doubt she'll make it but still it was a good game. Anyone know if there's a Marina 4 Brawll sig somewhere? (once like those in my sig)

shameless bump....
There's nothing shameless about bumping a character thread every so often, especially if that character happens to be Marina Lightyears. :)

*sigh* I need to get a new N64 controller so I can get to playing through it again myself...

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
Wow seeing this really brings back memories on how much I loved this game. It was so good, its a shame it didn't get much recognition. Now after reading these posts I gotta go back and play this game since it was in my top 5 favorite N64 games.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
There's nothing shameless about bumping a character thread every so often, especially if that character happens to be Marina Lightyears. :)

*sigh* I need to get a new N64 controller so I can get to playing through it again myself...
same here, my N64 controller met its end thaks to super smash brothers (64).

marina is a definately interesting Idea, but how could she be intergrated into the subspace emmisary? who would she team up with?what boss would she fight?

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
I see this thread is still going. That makes me happy. For what is worth, I fully support the inclusion of Marina, on the grounds of being the star of the single most awesome platformer on the N64 and a character with a very Brawl-able style. And the inclusion of Saki from Sin and Punishment seems to make her inclusion easier, even if only as an AT.

Sigh. If only Mischief Makers had gotten the recognition it was due, now we'd be much more hopeful about her chances.

I think I am going to get a support button in my sig anyway... it's the least I can do :)

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
If not a playable character, at least an AT.
Yeah, as much as I LOVED Mischief Makers, I have to be realistic about her chances. Sure she *probably* won't be playable, but even a REGULAR trophy, let alone an assist trophy, would make me happy. Especially after that Sin and Punishment Assist Trophy.

Jededi4h

Smash Cadet
For the Cause!

Great to see so many supporters of Marina. Mischief Makers really was an unbelievable game, and it's good to see it left it's mark on others besides me.

Anyway here's my Marina Character Support button to help show support for the cause.

Enjoy!

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Here's a theory. So far the only 3rd party company in the game outside of Konami and Sega is Treasure. Personally, I doubt Nintendo will go and ask a 3rd party company to use their characters simply as ATs. If they're interested in Treasure, they better go all the way and use a character in playable form.

Seriously, if you think about it that way, Marina's chances aren't THAT slim.

Besides, we need more females, and my heart tells there's going to be a female 3rd partier.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Here's a theory. So far the only 3rd party company in the game outside of Konami and Sega is Treasure. Personally, I doubt Nintendo will go and ask a 3rd party company to use their characters simply as ATs. If they're interested in Treasure, they better go all the way and use a character in playable form.

Seriously, if you think about it that way, Marina's chances aren't THAT slim.

Besides, we need more females, and my heart tells there's going to be a female 3rd partier.
That's a very good point. Why bother getting permission for Saki if he's not playable. You know, despite popular belief, popularity isn't importent. If you recall, Sakurai stated that a game with only popular characters would be boring and I agree with this. I think this raises her chances a little higher.

BTW, I remember getting this game in 1997 for Christmas. My dad told me not to complain if there was any Japanese in the game since the last game I got was Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not quite. It's Marina LightyearS, not Lightyear.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
That's a very good point. Why bother getting permission for Saki if he's not playable. You know, despite popular belief, popularity isn't importent. If you recall, Sakurai stated that a game with only popular characters would be boring and I agree with this. I think this raises her chances a little higher.

BTW, I remember getting this game in 1997 for Christmas. My dad told me not to complain if there was any Japanese in the game since the last game I got was Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.
Ahhh yes.

I remember playing Mystical Ninja. Loved it so much I went ahead and got Goemon's Great Adventure for the N64 soon after. Goemon would make a neat addition...but thats for another thread.

Back on topic...

Why are people saying Marina's chances are slim? Sakurai has proven to us time and time again that hes not afraid to add obscure, yet interesting main characters. Marina has a game to her credit where she is actually the star of the show and seems to have obtained cult status. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see her announced as a PC. I might get some heat for this, but if it came down to choosing between Megaman or Marina, I would go with Marina in a heartbeat only because Megaman has appeared in every other fighting game while this cool warrior has seen little to no action since Mischief Makers in 1997.

Top Bottom